PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Series over!

Goobylal
03-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Hear me now, believe me later. The news should break in a day or so. Good riddance!

BillsFever21
03-04-2014, 09:18 PM
That would be the only good news out of Buffalo in a while. Except for some season ticket holders that don't mind having the one less game a year to pay for.

Goobylal
03-04-2014, 09:24 PM
That would be the only good news out of Buffalo in a while. Except for some season ticket holders that don't mind having the one less game a year to pay for.
Well then, they can just sell their Pats ticket and recoup their entire ST cost.

SpikedLemonade
03-04-2014, 09:24 PM
I hope that is true.

Goobylal
03-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Just to lend credence to it, Tim Graham tweeted about it as well. It would be a very odd limb to climb onto unless true.

Skooby
03-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I just got a text that Toronto is toast, no idea what it's about but I thought it was extended.

jimmifli
03-04-2014, 09:38 PM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/03/can-bills-make-case-theres-net-gain-toronto-deal/

This article pretty much spells out the why.

But the new, five-year deal with Rogers, which began in 2013 and runs through 2017, isn’t nearly as lucrative. In fact, we hear the Bills are not making much more per game under the new deal than they’re making in Orchard Park.

Rogers would probably love to get out, so really no surprise.

SpikedLemonade
03-04-2014, 09:50 PM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/03/can-bills-make-case-theres-net-gain-toronto-deal/

This article pretty much spells out the why.

Rogers would probably love to get out, so really no surprise.

What a piece of poopy Russ Brandon is!!!

When the first deal was signed, he told the world that the deal was $78M for those 5 years.

When this second deal was signed, the terms were kept quiet.

Looks like Russ isn't doing as good a job marketing this team now that we put this cut rate deal together with the sell outs they need to manufacturer. Revenue ain't rising.

No problem. Spend less on players and roll that unused salary cap to next year.

Russ will be fired once Ralph's thumb is no longer in his mouth.

bigbub2352
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Would b awesome

DynaPaul
03-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Thank God!

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2014, 06:57 AM
Just got a notification from my ScoreMobile app saying this was true.

Historian
03-05-2014, 07:03 AM
If they absolutely have to outsource a game, play one in the carrier dome...

coastal
03-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Let's see if Russ has the nads to try and spin this into a "we listened to the fans" PR stunt.

better days
03-05-2014, 07:11 AM
WGR is reporting no game in Toronto this year.

It is being called a one year hiatus for now.

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Let's see if Russ has the nads to try and spin this into a "we listened to the fans" PR stunt.I'm not sure why you would chastise him for that... As a fan, isn't being "listened to" what we would hope for?

Scumbag College
03-05-2014, 07:17 AM
If they absolutely have to outsource a game, play one in the carrier dome...

I could walk to a game...that would be amazing!

trapezeus
03-05-2014, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure why you would chastise him for that... As a fan, isn't being "listened to" what we would hope for?

it's just that the fans were against it the first 5 times and against it when they renewed it. like everything we recommend, they are late and try to make it seem like they have it all under control.

russ is an idiot.

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2014, 07:24 AM
It's never a good idea to put someone in a no-win situation. The 1st deal made financial sense... The 2nd deal, not so much. Especially considering all the peripheral results (bad image, embarassment).

I'm sure they've all evaluated "lessons learned" and are making adjustments.

Meanwhile, us fans got to watch games that would have probably been blacked out if not for the Toronto sell-out guarantee.

JoeMama
03-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Let's see if Russ has the nads to try and spin this into a "we listened to the fans" PR stunt.

A good decision is still a good decision even if our huckster CEO spins the outcome for his own purposes.

I tune him out as often as possible to begin with. So his explanation won't carry much weight with me regardless.

Never trust a guy who's trying to sell you something.

But it is worth celebrating that this grotesque charade is over, for one year at least.

Pinkerton Security
03-05-2014, 07:26 AM
it's just that the fans were against it the first 5 times and against it when they renewed it. like everything we recommend, they are late and try to make it seem like they have it all under control.

russ is an idiot.

give it a break. Act like you're not happy about this fact just because you hate the FO? So sad.

- - - Updated - - -

A good decision is still a good decision even if our huckster CEO spins the outcome for his own purposes.

I tune him out as much as often as possible to begin with. So his explanation won't carry much weight with me regardless.

But it is worth celebrating that this grotesque charade is over, for one year at least.

This.

coastal
03-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure why you would chastise him for that... As a fan, isn't being "listened to" what we would hope for?because it's a ****ing lie?

- - - Updated - - -

I tune him out as often as possible to begin with. So his explanation won't carry much weight with me regardless.

But it is worth celebrating that this grotesque charade is over, for one year at least.its a financial decision.

JoeMama
03-05-2014, 09:02 AM
its a financial decision.

Of course it is.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
At least they did the smart thing and waited until the NFL announced the teams being forced to play in London. Otherwise i think we'd have been stuck there for sure.

ticatfan
03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=445309

ticatfan
03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
This should never been allowed to happen, without compensating the ticats and argos for stepping on their territorial rights in ONT. Just like hamilton could not get a NHL team for the same reason.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
This should never been allowed to happen, without compensating the ticats and argos for stepping on their territorial rights in ONT. Just like hamilton could not get a NHL team for the same reason.

What? The Argos and Ticats are in a completely different league. They have no "territorial rights" that any NFL team is bound to respect.

jdaltroy5
03-05-2014, 10:51 AM
What? The Argos and Ticats are in a completely different league. They have no "territorial rights" that any NFL team is bound to respect.
The Leafs should pay territorial rights to my beer league team since we play in the same area.

sudzy
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Thank God

trapezeus
03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
give it a break. Act like you're not happy about this fact just because you hate the FO? So sad.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

it should have never been renewed. that was clear that they won't change anything until they are forced out by new ownership. the fact they don't care and hold the team hostage should matter to you. i didn't realize we were rooting for the team on pure hope. because the other 31 teams are actually trying to win games and be relevant. Russ is happy to just collect your money and wait for your thank you.

the fans who defend this are the ones who hurt the team the most.

it's not like we are picking them apart for one set of terrible decisions that we aren't getting over. literally every decision they've made in 14 years has at best been average and at worst a complete catastrophic error.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Good riddance, of course I am not convinced that the Bills won't manage to screw this one up too. That is why I am preparing for the Bills to schedule a ninth road game or something. Come on Ralphster, wreck it!

Night Train
03-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I'll bet anything the NFL wanted the Bills to continue this game.

This was initially a 78 Mil money grab...about 2 months before Ted Rogers died. Then for some insane reason after poor turnout with inflated ticket prices, it was extended ! ACK !

Good for them, dusting away a failed venture.

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I'll bet anything the NFL wanted the Bills to continue this game.

This was initially a 78 Mil money grab...about 2 months before Ted Rogers died. Then for some insane reason after poor turnout with inflated ticket prices, it was extended ! ACK !

Good for them, dusting away a failed venture.

I'm glad it is over as well.

You are right that the more places the Bills can't sell tickets -- including at home -- can only mean good things for the future of the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills need to show the NFL that it is not a bottom feeder team by raising the price of tickets by 20% each year until the average ticket price is in the top half of the NFL including PSLs.

That should sober up Bills fans.

better days
03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm glad it is over as well.

You are right that the more places the Bills can't sell tickets -- including at home -- can only mean good things for the future of the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills need to show the NFL that it is not a bottom feeder team by raising the price of tickets by 20% each year until the average ticket price is in the top half of the NFL including PSLs.

That should sober up Bills fans.

Except it is only on a one year hiatus. It is not really over.

This year the Bills will have a special area for Canadian fans to party outside at the Ralph. A great idea IMO. Keep all those loonies in one area. (just joking)

If the Bills do play well & win this year, expect the series to resume next year.

SpikedLemonade
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Except it is only on a one year hiatus. It is not really over.

This year the Bills will have a special area for Canadian fans to party outside at the Ralph. A great idea IMO. Keep all those loonies in one area. (just joking)

If the Bills do play well & win this year, expect the series to resume next year.

The series is over. It will not be re-started. There is no interest in Toronto to watch the Bills. Blame our education system. It is too good.

I went to only one game last year. Crossing the border takes more and more time. It wasn't worth it.

Canadians who enjoy the Bills should do what they want, however it would be interesting if the 10K to 15K per game did stop going to Bills games for a few years as to not offend the many here who feel they do not properly add to the atmosphere. We can watch the games from this side of the border.

I would like Buffalo and fellow Americans to solely support the Bills for a few years. The recent black outs were probably because Canadians made the experience of attending unpleasant.

The timing could not be better.

better days
03-05-2014, 09:38 PM
The series is over. It will not be re-started. There is no interest in Toronto to watch the Bills. Blame our education system. It is too good.

I went to only one game last year. Crossing the border takes more and more time. It wasn't worth it.

Canadians who enjoy the Bills should do what they want, however it would be interesting if the 10K to 15K per game did stop going to Bills games for a few years as to not offend the many here who feel they do not properly add to the atmosphere. We can watch the games from this side of the border.

I would like Buffalo and fellow Americans to solely support the Bills for a few years. The recent black outs were probably because Canadians made the experience of attending unpleasant.

The timing could not be better.

Yeah, well your education system is not as good as your health care system & we have Obama care.

But at least we still have the Bills.

swiper
03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/05/bills-put-game-in-toronto-on-hold-for-1-season/

TacklingDummy
03-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Hear me now, believe me later. The news should break in a day or so. Good riddance!
It's hard to sell a team and move it when 1 of their games is played elsewhere.

kishoph
03-06-2014, 06:24 AM

Who's trying to spin something here ? Brandon does the right thing by getting out of a deal that is no longer beneficial and you're trying to spin it into something anti-Brandon.

Meathead
03-06-2014, 07:01 AM
This year the Bills will have a special area for Canadian fans to party outside

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfcdNTvcjMn73Fg3UeVxi1mA0mB7NtlhF1nTehCwaCS_ya-wtt

Goobylal
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
It's hard to sell a team and move it when 1 of their games is played elsewhere.
Yep. It would be hard to sell the team to Toronto when 1 of their games is being played there.

TacklingDummy
03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Yep. It would be hard to sell the team to Toronto when 1 of their games is being played there.

New owners won't be moving team to Toronto.

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfcdNTvcjMn73Fg3UeVxi1mA0mB7NtlhF1nTehCwaCS_ya-wtt

Very good. Did the aliens probe you again last night? :kid:

Goobylal
03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Then where?

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2014, 12:43 PM

I agree.

better days
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm down for a move to SoCal since I'll be living there in a couple years anyways. A larger media market would put pressure on the franchise to actually spend money...right now fans are still buying tickets and ceding their only power to get the owners to listen--hit them in their wallets

SoCal can't even build a Stadium for the Chargers.

ticatfan
03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
What? The Argos and Ticats are in a completely different league. They have no "territorial rights" that any NFL team is bound to respect.And the bills own ''territorial rights'' in another country??

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Then where?

San Antonio or London.

The first step is to have a very rich owner outbid other potential others.

Then they need to keep the team in Buffalo for a while until the conditions are right for a move (no new stadium promised by 8th year of current lease, non-sell outs after 15% annual price increases, etc.).

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
SoCal can't even build a Stadium for the Chargers.

Good for them. Why should taxpayers build a palace for a wildly profitable private enterprise? How would you like a sales tax levied on all citizens of Florida to fatten the wallets of the owners of JAX and MIA?

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Good for them. Why should taxpayers build a palace for a wildly profitable private enterprise? How would you like a sales tax levied on all citizens of Florida to fatten the wallets of the owners of JAX and MIA?

Corporate welfare is disgraceful isn't it?

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Corporate welfare is disgraceful isn't it?

While it's much smaller and not nearly as disgraceful and damaging to human dignity as social welfare is for the obvious purpose of maintaining the political elite and their public sector support system, it is.

jimmifli
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
While it's much smaller and not nearly as disgraceful and damaging to human dignity as social welfare is for the obvious purpose of maintaining the political elite and their public sector support system, it is.
Lol.

http://i.minus.com/ibw0BROySMjDN7.gif

Goobylal
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
San Antonio or London.

The first step is to have a very rich owner outbid other potential others.

Then they need to keep the team in Buffalo for a while until the conditions are right for a move (no new stadium promised by 8th year of current lease, non-sell outs after 15% annual price increases, etc.).
Neither SoCal nor London will work. As better days said, SoCal won't build the Chargers a new stadium. And London is too difficult to insert as a franchise.

better days
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
And the bills own ''territorial rights'' in another country??

YES

better days
03-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Jax, Miami & Tampa have all built Stadiums long since the Stadium in S.D was built.

In fact, Tampa has built TWO Stadiums in that time.

Famous Amos
03-07-2014, 06:12 AM
The real question is will the fans be able to sell out that home game we got back? I know its a matter of how good the team is but it wouldn't look good if we show we can't support the team by not selling it out. Its up to the Bills to give us a reason to attend the game.

Historian
03-07-2014, 07:19 AM
I think the Toronto game should be played each year, just that both teams should rotate.

They should then split the desserts.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
And the bills own ''territorial rights'' in another country??

Yes. But that only applies to the NFL and not the Argos or Ticats.

What do you think "territorial rights" are?

GingerP
03-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Jax, Miami & Tampa have all built Stadiums long since the Stadium in S.D was built.

In fact, Tampa has built TWO Stadiums in that time.

I think the Chargers will eventually get their stadium. Unfortunately for San Diego that stadium will be in Los Angeles.