PDA

View Full Version : What's with all this Byrd talk?

stuckincincy
03-05-2014, 05:37 AM
Cripes...

What's the difference between the "best" Byrd and the "worst" Byrd...7-9 or 6-10 or 5-1?

He's a decent, consistent FS player. His overall game is far from a Polamalu.

It's nice to have a decent FS, but that position is just a part of the whole picture. I'm not going to hurt my ST and my bench strength for a fat contract for him.

EDS
03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Couldn't we say the same about every player on the roster?

DBrown77
03-07-2014, 08:21 AM
22 INTs and 11 forced fumbles. I think thats something to talk about.

jdaltroy5
03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
And the devaluing of elite players that leave continues.

We were only 6-10 with Kiko, might as well cut him!

Never had a winning season with Glenn, Wood, Stevie, Woods, Mario, Dareus, Spiller, Jackson, or Kyle either.

Cut all of them!

Bill Cody
03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
What's the difference between the "best" Byrd and the "worst" Byrd...

"Best Byrd" = a top 3 or 4 free safety in the league. A ball hawk that makes plays.
"Worst Byrd" = a greedy malcontent with no loyalty to the city, the team or his teammates that is literally willing to fake injury to get his way.

The "best Byrd" is a player you need on your team, the "worst Byrd" isn't. That's what all the Byrd talk is about. Some folks only see one side.

EDS
03-07-2014, 09:01 AM
"Best Byrd" = a top 3 or 4 free safety in the league. A ball hawk that makes plays.
"Worst Byrd" = a greedy malcontent with no loyalty to the city, the team or his teammates that is literally willing to fake injury to get his way.

The "best Byrd" is a player you need on your team, the "worst Byrd" isn't. That's what all the Byrd talk is about. Some folks only see one side.

Isn't it really the fact that the "worst Byrd" is still one of the teams best defensive players and his absence creating a hole in the defense that is at issue?

Bill Cody
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Isn't it really the fact that the "worst Byrd" is still one of the teams best defensive players and his absence creating a hole in the defense that is at issue?

No. The issue is the whole issue not just part. That's the problem with a lot of posters on this board. They're so desperate to win they put the blinders on when they evaluate any issue.

Buckets
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Not if his attitude is affecting the team.

jdaltroy5
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
No. The issue is the whole issue not just part. That's the problem with a lot of posters on this board. They're so desperate to win they put the blinders on when they evaluate any issue.
Yeah I know, some of them are crazy.

I mean, they have this crazy idea that if you have better players, you win more games.

Who came up with that asinine idea?

Cap space, that's where you win championships.

Mahdi
03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
He's one of, if not the best ballhawk in the league. It's a major loss but can be recovered from. Typical bills to wait till the player has all the leverage in negotiations.

sukie
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Back in my day there was no such thing as a contract leveraged fascaitis... F Byrd and his ego

justasportsfan
03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
He's one of, if not the best ballhawk in the league. It's a major loss but can be recovered from. Typical bills to wait till the player has all the leverage in negotiations.

huh? How is that typical? We tried to sign him last year. He didn't have any leverage. We could have tagged him again if we wanted to.

We extended a lot of home grown players. We just extended Williams.

Mahdi
03-07-2014, 12:24 PM
huh? How is that typical? We tried to sign him last year. He didn't have any leverage. We could have tagged him again if we wanted to.

We extended a lot of home grown players. We just extended Williams.

We should have extended Byrd BEFORE he was in his last season.

Like we did with AW now. That way the player must sign to protect himself.

justasportsfan
03-07-2014, 12:37 PM
We should have extended Byrd BEFORE he was in his last season.

Like we did with AW now. That way the player must sign to protect himself.we should have I agree. But just because we didn't extend 1 player doesn't make it typical.

Mahdi
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
we should have I agree. But just because we didn't extend 1 player doesn't make it typical.

Peters? Winfield? Clements? Whither? Pat? Levitre?

justasportsfan
03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Peters? Winfield? Clements? Whither? Pat? Levitre?

Eric Wood, Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Eric Moulds, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas ,Bruce,Schobel ,Moorman etc.etc.etc.

FYI, Pat was extended at one point and so was Peters. Peters wanted a new deal every year.
As for Whitner, he did not deserve a new contract because he sucked and he still sucks. Bad example.

What is typical is that all teams are not able to resign everyone.

jdaltroy5
03-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Eric Wood, Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Eric Moulds, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas ,Bruce,Schobel ,Moorman etc.etc.etc.

FYI, Pat was extended at one point and so was Peters. Peters wanted a new deal every year.
As for Whitner, he did not deserve a new contract because he sucked and he still sucks. Bad example.

What is typical is that all teams are not able to resign everyone.You know you're getting desperate when you're reaching 20 years into the past or including punters.

justasportsfan
03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
You know you're getting desperate when you're reaching 20 years into the past or including punters.

not really. He brought up Pat williams and winfield , no? I think it's desperate when you bring in Pat and Peters and not mention we did in fact extend them or resign at one point. Whitner? really?

I get it. I wanted to keep Byrd too. But don't make exaggerations trying to make a point that isn't entirely true. THe bills have extended players

jdaltroy5
03-07-2014, 01:59 PM
not really. He brought up Pat williams and winfield , no? I think it's desperate when you bring in Pat and Peters and not mention we did in fact extend them at one point. Whitner? really?Pat and Winfield were at least in the last decade.

Sure, we did extend Peters. We gave him 3 mil a year to play starting LT, which he did for several years. When he had several all pro seasons and wanted to get paid as such, we traded him.

And sure, we have re-signed some players. But far too often elite players leave when we have a ton of cap space to sign them.

There's no excuse for that.

jimmifli
03-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Pat and Winfield were at least in the last decade.

Sure, we did extend Peters. We gave him 3 mil a year to play starting LT
Nope. We paid him as the starting RT. Then promptly moved him a few weeks later.

THEN he went and had some probowl seasons and wanted to redo his deal since the team moved him.

mightysimi
03-07-2014, 03:48 PM
It was the league that ****ed us on the Peters situation. IIRC, he gave up like 10 sacks and Clady as a rookie gave up 1 but name recognition got him the pro bowl for no reason. All that did was re-enforce his contract demands.

justasportsfan
03-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Pat and Winfield were at least in the last decade.

Sure, we did extend Peters. We gave him 3 mil a year to play starting LT, which he did for several years. When he had several all pro seasons and wanted to get paid as such, we traded him.

And sure, we have re-signed some players. But far too often elite players leave when we have a ton of cap space to sign them.

There's no excuse for that.
If its something that's "typical" especially when referring to the team that's still owned by Ralph then why stop 10 years? Doing that just to it fit your point? Who cares if Moorman is just a punter? He was the best at what he did when we resigned him. BTW, Moulds was here when Winfield was here and he was elite.

Mahdi
03-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Nope. We paid him as the starting RT. Then promptly moved him a few weeks later.

THEN he went and had some probowl seasons and wanted to redo his deal since the team moved him.

Everyone knew Peters was elite. Bills wanted to act as if he should play out his old deal and be happy. All he has done since then is establish himself as THE premier all-around LT in the NFL, worth every penny and pick the eagles paid for him.

mightysimi
03-07-2014, 09:16 PM
TIER 1: Difference-makers
1) Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF): A natural playmaker with plus ball skills, Byrd is Earl Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/player/earlthomas/2508080/profile)' chief rival as the game's top cover safety. Guys this good (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/05/free-agent-profile-jairus-byrd/) usually don't make it to free agency.

NFL.com has 1 Tier 1 free agent and it's byrd. We shouldn't act like it's no big deal if he takes off. This defense is better with him on it hands down. Letting him walk is a mistake.

BertSquirtgum
03-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Byrd is fool's gold.

YardRat
03-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Over-paying for an over-hyped free safety and guard doesn't 'make up' for not paying an LT or CB. I don't think you'll find too many posters that don't agree that Peters and Winfield should've been paid. Losing them doesn't make Byrd and Levitre more valuable, unless you've reached the point where you overlook the players the team has re-signed and are so desperate to keep average to above-average talent that you are willing to pay them more than they are worth.

mightysimi
03-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Over-paying for an over-hyped free safety and guard doesn't 'make up' for not paying an LT or CB. I don't think you'll find too many posters that don't agree that Peters and Winfield should've been paid. Losing them doesn't make Byrd and Levitre more valuable, unless you've reached the point where you overlook the players the team has re-signed and are so desperate to keep average to above-average talent that you are willing to pay them more than they are worth.

I don't understand over-hyped. Who is a better free safety right now? Name 3. If you get to 5 you're lying.

Bill Cody
03-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Yeah I know, some of them are crazy.

I mean, they have this crazy idea that if you have better players, you win more games.

Who came up with that asinine idea?

Cap space, that's where you win championships.

You don't win with players that refers to their teammates as "them".