• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Lawson on the chopping block?

Many were holding their breath for the Buffalo Bills to make a major transaction Monday, but this wasn't it.The Bills waived first-year linebacker Willie Jefferson, who signed a future contract on Jan.

It's pure speculation on the authors part. Basically says that Schwartz may run more 4-3 and that Lawson doesn't really fit for that scheme. The main reason for the author to jump to this idea is that we released Willie Jefferson who has the same body type. Ok, but that means we're cutting people solely on body type? How about the guy just not being very good. Lawson on the flip side was a very pleasant surprise.

And the biggest problem I have with this train of thought is that the team does not strictly run any scheme... They run both 3-4 and 4-3 looks all the time. They have a decent player at a decent pay rate. Why just cut him? I think it's kind of a dumb thought.
    Last edited by X-Era; 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM.

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Lawson on the chopping block?

I saw this too, I don't really buy it. Let's not pretend Manny Lawson and Willie Jefferson are the same caliber player.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The Zone Ranger
      • Aug 2013

Remember it's a reporter who has no clue what to expect from the new DC. Most articles on teams at this time of year are fabricated guess work at best.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Zone Ranger View Post
        Remember it's a reporter who has no clue what to expect from the new DC. Most articles on teams at this time of year are fabricated guess work at best.
        Oh, you will not find me supporting the plethora of hacks out there trust me.

It's classic uninformed reporting.

Comment

• The Zone Ranger
          • Aug 2013

No problem with you posting the article. I found it amusing. It is the off season so I have the time to read through the post. Besides I like to see the response from fellow bills fans.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Another scheme change...

so done with this organization.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Lawson IS better in a 3-4 than a 4-3, however he is also better than every single LB on our roster except for Kiko. We cant afford to get rid of him regardless of scheme.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I doubt it. From what was said several times is that Schwatrz said he would cater his scheme based on what his players strengths. Whether that true or not, remains to be seen but at this point I don't have a reason to believe anything anyone on ESPN.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

I highly doubt we will be running that much different of a scheme. I believe it will be a very similar scheme but we will attack differently.

Manny lawson is 6'5 250 and runs a 4.5 forty, no reason to get ride of him as he defended the edge well on the run and I think he is big enough and tall enough to defends guys like Gronk running up the seam.

He might not be able to stay with Gronk on out routes and slants but if they bracket gronk with a safety/corner and Lawson defending the back shoulder on seam routes I think it would be adequate and make it harder throws for Brady than it has been.

In other words he played above his contract value and earned the right to see how he does under Schwartz.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Hope not, he's the only OLB we have that can set the edge.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

Mike Rodak is a giant turd.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                        Another scheme change...

so done with this organization.
                        Scheme changes aren't a problem. It's when scheme changes are used to justify personnel changes that we get into trouble.

The talent on D can play any scheme. Personally I think they under performed last season and expect improvement.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Wow, ESPN is really bored...

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                            • Feb 2009

Cutting Marios best friend.. I thought the Bills brought Lawson aboard to make Mario happier

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                              • Sep 2012

Lawson was a solid starter last year on a reasonable deal. There's no reason to dump him.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X