PDA

View Full Version : did anybody else hear John Madden's comment

DIHARD2
09-12-2002, 08:22 PM
John Madden said that when he was coaching, that the first two games of the season was the time when special teams either shined or look bad.

He stated that most coaches, (when he was a coach), did not work on special teams at the beginning of the season. They were working with the offense in defense and all there complicated facets. Those two team, according to him, needed more attention at the beginning of the seasonits. By week three, he said that, that is when the special teams really started producing because that's when the coaches really start working with them.

I'm not using this as an excuse for our poor special team playing, this last weekend against the Jets, I'm just giving you his comment. and part of his coaching philosophy. He said that he believes that was the reason, that all the special teams made plays this last weekend good or bad.

I agree somewhat with his philosophy from the time he was a coach. But when he was a coach we really didn't have the free agency market, and the cap situation like it is in today football.

Today a team has to put all three teams, of quality on the field the first game, because now teams are fielded more equal because of the free agency market and the cap situations.

The last three Super Bowl have shown that anyone can field a good team after a bad previous season. Today a coach has to give equal time to all three teams, he doesn't have the extra time like in the pass.

I hope his take on the special team situation is right, but I myself don't think it is. I think that now the cap decides the quality of on all three teams.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

BillC
09-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the boards, DieHard!!

BillC
09-12-2002, 08:34 PM
Back in his days, rosters were smaller and a higher caliber starter played on the special teams. Now with big contracts, no one risks their starters on ST's anymore.

Another thing, kickoffs were not from the 30 as they are today. They keep moving them back beause kickers kept making touchbacks.

So, special teams were not as critical as they are now.

lordofgun
09-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Haw many people are actually injured on kickoffs??

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the rate is any higher than a regular play.

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 09:26 PM
I don't remember another team letting the opposing team run back two kickoffs for TD's last week though....hell, I don't remember anyother team letting the opposing team run back <i>one</i> kickoff for a TD. :scratch:

TigerJ
09-12-2002, 09:41 PM
I'll bet Buffalo has been working on STs this week.

DIHARD2
09-12-2002, 10:06 PM
BILLC, exactly that was my point. Why, does he makes these type of comments. Football has changed since he has been a coach. But, I still hope he's right for our sake.

NoCtUrNaL
09-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
BILLC, exactly that was my point. Why, does he makes these type of comments. Football has changed since he has been a coach. But, I still hope he's right for our sake.

It can't it get any worse...they averaged about 45 yards a return. If they kick the damn thing out of bounds the other team only gets the ball at their 40...hell, that's be a 5 yard savings right there.

Dozerdog
09-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Squib it to some fat lineman at the 30!!