PDA

View Full Version : Cheap-a** CIN offers WR Hawkins, LB Vincent Rey, WR Sanzenbacher the minimun tender

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Any interest? I was sure Rey and Hawkins would have been give a higher tender...

Rey:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1114353/vincent-rey

Rey is a special teams ace, and distinguished himself when CIN's LB corps got damaged last season

Hawkins:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1803774/andrew-hawkins

Hawkins is also a good ST player, and is a shifty receiver. Question mark on him, though - CIN put that 8 game recall tag on him. He played ok in limited duty when he returned. He might be a victim of CIN's wr numbers game, as is WR Dan Sanzenbacher.

BUF should take a look at Rey and Hawkins.

DBrown77
03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Just what we need. Another small and fast receiver.

I have never heard of Rey, but it looks like he had a good season last year. Is he an ILB?

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Just what we need. Another small and fast receiver.

I have never heard of Rey, but it looks like he had a good season last year. Is he an ILB?

Rey is an ILB. Hawkins is a highly-motivated player, who was integral in wins for them on a number of occasions. He's very shifty. Turns on a dime.

CIN fans are surprised at the low tender offer.

Comment from the CIN fan site:

"While Vinny played amazingly well, that they tendered him as the first step is a lame move. He played at starter level, should be easy to justify him being re-signed at adequate value. They do have a really deep LB group but with so many coming back from season ending injuries having him in the fold makes good sense. If I am GM on a LB starved team, like the Giants, Cowboys or Falcons, I'd make a run at Vinny and start him right away.

Hawkins may just be a casualty of the shift to running quite a bit more. Consider Green, Sanu and Jones above him on the chart, and Greesham and Eifert looking to catch more balls, he might not have a clear role for the price he'd be looking for. For Hawk, I'd be looking at places like NE, Jets, AZ or Oakland to get more snaps and looks."

jimmifli
03-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Not worth it. Rookie's are cheaper and these guys don't have enough appreciable impact on the game to warrant the extra cost. Fill backups and special teams with the cheapest contracts you can, and then pay through the nose for your starters. That's today's NFL.

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Not worth it. Rookie's are cheaper and these guys don't have enough appreciable impact on the game to warrant the extra cost. Fill backups and special teams with the cheapest contracts you can, and then pay through the nose for your starters. That's today's NFL.

You may well be right. Good observation.

HAMMER
03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Spam

jimmifli
03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
You may well be right. Good observation.
It's the Green Bay way and more recently the model Seattle has followed.

Rookie contracts are gold. Finding players that can be starters while still on their rookie contract lets you pay impact players at key positions top dollars.

Trade down, acquire picks, find starters, redo deals early to lock up potential stars.

The Jokeman
03-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Vincent Rey is interesting as he did step up and play well when Bengals needed him. With our DC having ties to Marvin Lewis he might be a good fit for our new D. I'd definately give him a look as he's young and might be on the cusp of being great or at the very least could be a STer which we need help with.

stuckincincy
03-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Exactly. He was always decent on the ST since they acquired him. He got his chance to play regular D and did well enough. What's not to like?

GvilleBills
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Definitely go for Rey. Surprised he got low tender.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Of all the guys that Gruden loves, Sanzenbacher is his dream guy.

stuckincincy
03-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Spam

Treet.