PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap room

YardRat
03-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Assuming we ever actually knew how much under the cap the Bills are/were, what dollar amount do you think would be reasonable and acceptable to carry through the season to sign new players (in case of injury, upgrading from street free agents, etc) and use for contract extensions/re-signings of their current players before the end of the league year?

SpikedLemonade
03-08-2014, 10:09 PM
The same internal salary cap that is $20M below the real cap (including the roll over of money not spent last year).

feldspar
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
It's less about how much money they spend, and more about who they spend it on. The draft will be key, too.

YardRat
03-09-2014, 08:50 AM
It's less about how much money they spend, and more about who they spend it on. The draft will be key, too.

I agree, but it appears the general consensus is the team doesn't spend enough of the cap allowance. Obviously some has to be in reserve, unless the only additional personnel moves throughout the season and until the end of league year are restricted to falling outside the top 51, and there are no plans to re-sign any of their own during that period. I would think that those who think the team should spend more of their cap space would have some kind of opinion on how much of the cap is acceptable to hold in reserve.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-09-2014, 09:52 AM
3-4 million in room is a reasonable amount to carry in reserve in-season, depending on the contracts that end at the close of the year.

X-Era
03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
3-4 million in room is a reasonable amount to carry in reserve in-season, depending on the contracts that end at the close of the year.I'd agree with this. But it can be fluid throughout the year.

The Bills can cut a player or players to add the reserve back as needed. Cuts before opening day based on who won the starting jobs is just one example.

I don't feel it needs to preclude us from doing anything.

If it were me, I'd spend right up to the cap to get the bodies in the off-season programs and in TC and then make a few cuts on cut-down day to get the reserve back in case of injury.

Mike
03-09-2014, 11:23 PM
The NFL unlike MLB has a Sal Cap... nevertheless the Bills have still found a way to do their best impersonation of the Pittsburg Pirates. Like the Pirates, the Bills spend far less on players than top teams in their respective sports. Unlike the Pirates, the Bills have the option and the opportunity to compete. In the NFL there is no Big Market vs Small Market advantage when in comes to on field competitiveness. As for the money, what does not get spent shows up as net profit on the p/l statements. In other words, every dollar that is 'saved' goes in Ralph's pocket.

What should Bills be spending to be competitive: at least 90% of Cap

YardRat
03-10-2014, 05:58 AM
The NFL unlike MLB has a Sal Cap... nevertheless the Bills have still found a way to do their best impersonation of the Pittsburg Pirates. Like the Pirates, the Bills spend far less on players than top teams in their respective sports. Unlike the Pirates, the Bills have the option and the opportunity to compete. In the NFL there is no Big Market vs Small Market advantage when in comes to on field competitiveness. As for the money, what does not get spent shows up as net profit on the p/l statements. In other words, every dollar that is 'saved' goes in Ralph's pocket.

What should Bills be spending to be competitive: at least 90% of Cap

We all 'know' what annual TV revenue is, and we 'know' what monies are designated toward the cap for player's salaries. If you know----

What the rest of the operating expenses are for the team...
What the total revenue is for the team...
What the actual net profit/loss is for the team...
What the amount of money is that Ralph 'pockets' on an annual basis...

---I'd sure like to know also, so please share.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
We all 'know' what annual TV revenue is, and we 'know' what monies are designated toward the cap for player's salaries. If you know----

What the rest of the operating expenses are for the team...
What the total revenue is for the team...
What the actual net profit/loss is for the team...
What the amount of money is that Ralph 'pockets' on an annual basis...

---I'd sure like to know also, so please share.

We know what the Green Bay Packers earn in shared money and we know what their expenses are to run a pro football franchise. The Bills' expenses shouldn't be wildly different as a result.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lab/reports/Green%20Bay%20Packers.pdf

Forbes uses that to make estimates.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/buffalo-bills/