PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Bills Interested In Geoff Schwartz

Meathead
03-09-2014, 12:14 AM
The Buffalo Bills will speak with several imminent free agents when NFL league rules allow teams to start communicating to players on Saturday, but I’ve learned of one name in particular. According to a team source the Bills have definitely expressed an interest in Kansas City Chiefs free agent guard Geoff Schwartz.

Schwartz, 27, was a seventh-round pick in 2008 and spent his first three seasons in Carolina, where he played both right tackle and guard and started all 16 games in 2010 before missing all of the following year with a hip injury. The free agent signed a one-year deal with Minnesota in 2012 but didn’t start before moving on to Kansas City last year, where he started eight games and played extremely well.

He’s regarded by some as the top available guard in this free agent class. The Chiefs are reportedly still interested in re-signing the 6-foot-6, 340-pounder, though it now looks likely Schwartz will test the free agent market.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/category/buffalo-bills/

yes i realize pat moran is the fox news of sports reporting but just like fox he might tell the truth once a year or so. sure would be nice to add the top fa guard and give us a chance to never hear the name doug legursky again

YardRat
03-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Nice...I hope they get him.

Don't Panic
03-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Would be a great first plug of a key hole on this roster. I'd love to get G done in FA so we can take advantage of the depth at WR and OT in the draft and not feel pressured to go in any one direction in the 1st and possibly even 2nd rounds.

Meathead
03-09-2014, 12:07 PM
you know over at tbd i read that the border guard that handcuffed merriman actually did get caught with peds but they let him go bc they were after the source not merriman. no idea if thats true or not but i always felt a little bad for pat moran since i figured he probably really had something to make him confident enough to put it out there. wouldnt really surprise me at all if it were actually true

X-Era
03-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I think Schwartz may get too pricey for us. I wonder if he doesn't get an offer at the 6+ mill per range.

At that point I'd be good with a cheaper option like Chad Rhineheart who played well for SD next year.

Meathead
03-09-2014, 02:19 PM
i dont think anybody is dumb enough to give him six, thats what levitre got. even four would price him out of bflo i believe. still hope they get him

X-Era
03-09-2014, 02:26 PM
i dont think anybody is dumb enough to give him six, thats what levitre got. even four would price him out of bflo i believe. still hope they get him
I mean in cap hit. Levitre is set for a 8.6 mill cap hit and he made close to 9 per.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/andy-levitre/

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/guard/limit-25/

6 mill in cap hit would make Schwartz the 12th highest in the league for 2014 at this point. Snee is #1 with a cap hit of over 11 mill.

The Jokeman
03-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I think Schwartz may get too pricey for us. I wonder if he doesn't get an offer at the 6+ mill per range.

At that point I'd be good with a cheaper option like Chad Rhineheart who played well for SD next year.

The Bills be very foolish giving Schwartz that kind of money. I know people will comment that he started half the season last year in KC but he also began last year on their bench. Yet the truth is this guy has started 26 of 61 NFL games and a former 7th Round pick. Personally I don't get the appeal. I know he offers flexibility to play RT or OG but he prefers to play OG and to me he isn't a great talent so am very wary of signing him. I feel more comfortable giving Rhinehardt money but question if either one is worth that kind of coin.

Meathead
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
fair enuf

X-Era
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
The Bills be very foolish giving Schwartz that kind of money. I know people will comment that he started half the season last year in KC but he also began last year on their bench. Yet the truth is this guy has started 26 of 61 NFL games and a former 7th Round pick. Personally I don't get the appeal.If we could get the guy for 4-5 mill per I'd be happy. I think thats more than what Pears gets. Pears gets 3+ as I remember.

Meathead
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
The Bills be very foolish giving Schwartz that kind of money. I know people will comment that he started half the season last year in KC but he also began last year on their bench. Yet the truth is this guy has started 26 of 61 NFL games and a former 7th Round pick. Personally I don't get the appeal.

that happens with linemen a lot. look through the rosters, late picks and udfas routinely start and become all levels of good. his body of work is small but by all reports it was still impressive. plus hes a good emergency swing tackle, which adds value. its a risk but an attractive one

swiper
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Pat Moran got caught lying about something a couple of years ago, proving he was an outright fraud. I can't recall what it was, but I'm surprised to see anyone quote that guy on any topic.

The Jokeman
03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
If we could get the guy for 4-5 mill per I'd be happy. I think thats more than what Pears gets. Pears gets 3+ as I remember.
Pears played well under Gailey's system and why we gave him the contract we did. Then got injured and now playing under Marrone's system not as good. Also if you read into the reports Chris Brown seems to think the Bills favor younger guys with upside. Not sure Schwartz offers that. If I was going to pursue a T/G the guy we should be looking at is Rodger Saffold or if want to go on the cheap Jeff Linkenbach might be worth a shot.

YardRat
03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
The Bills be very foolish giving Schwartz that kind of money. I know people will comment that he started half the season last year in KC but he also began last year on their bench. Yet the truth is this guy has started 26 of 61 NFL games and a former 7th Round pick. Personally I don't get the appeal. I know he offers flexibility to play RT or OG but he prefers to play OG and to me he isn't a great talent so am very wary of signing him. I feel more comfortable giving Rhinehardt money but question if either one is worth that kind of coin.

Pears played well under Gailey's system and why we gave him the contract we did. Then got injured and now playing under Marrone's system not as good. Also if you read into the reports Chris Brown seems to think the Bills favor younger guys with upside. Not sure Schwartz offers that. If I was going to pursue a T/G the guy we should be looking at is Rodger Saffold or if want to go on the cheap Jeff Linkenbach might be worth a shot.

His versatility is what makes him more attractive than a Rhinehart, IMO, although last year I was fan of letting Levitre walk but fully expected them to re-sign Rhinehart. Saffold will probably score bigger bucks than Schwartz, and I believe he wants to stay at T.

KC may throw big money at Schwartz, anyway, considering Albert is probably gone, and the point may be moot.

Night Train
03-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Doesn't stick around anywhere and no ones dying to keep him.

What am I missing ?

Meathead
03-09-2014, 06:50 PM

What am I missing ?

that happens with linemen a lot. look through the rosters, late picks and udfas routinely start and become all levels of good. his body of work is small but by all reports it was still impressive. plus hes a good emergency swing tackle, which adds value. its a risk but an attractive one

Mace
03-09-2014, 06:56 PM

What am I missing ?

Probably only that he's better than Colin Brown or Legursky and might be a decent body to have. I want to say I prefer Staffold, who can play tackle or guard but is sort of brittle.

Urbik being in the higher range of Legursky's, Legursky being in the lower range of Legursky's, it's just my opinion that the FA guards are all mid to higher range Legursky's, which would be some upgrade on our Legursky level. I could have ranked them as Urbik's, Urbik being a mid range Urbik, but it was more fun to rank them as Legursky's.

bigbub2352
03-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Solid signing

YardRat
03-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Probably only that he's better than Colin Brown or Legursky and might be a decent body to have. I want to say I prefer Staffold, who can play tackle or guard but is sort of brittle.

Urbik being in the higher range of Legursky's, Legursky being in the lower range of Legursky's, it's just my opinion that the FA guards are all mid to higher range Legursky's, which would be some upgrade on our Legursky level. I could have ranked them as Urbik's, Urbik being a mid range Urbik, but it was more fun to rank them as Legursky's.

I would actually rank him as 1-1/2 Levitre's, considering what a train wreck he was when moved to OT and C.

jimmifli
03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

That's the problem. A team can get by with a single Urbik. Urbiks are passable if they're the worst player on the line and can get some help. Nobody ever needs a Legursky, be it a mid level or a high level Legursky. JUST SAY NO TO LEGURSKYS

YardRat
03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd be really OK if a couple of acquisitions made Urbik the weak link on the line.

tampabay25690
03-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I saw rinehart only got 3 mill per for 2 years!!!

alohabillsfan
03-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Fox News rocks! At least for people who don't rely on the govt to take care of them! Conservatism is the path to prosperity. Democrats home of the lazy!

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Beadles sets the market at about 6 mill per:

Jaguars and free-agent G Zane Beadles have agreed to terms on a 5-year, $30 million deal with $13 million guaranteed, per @caplannfl (https://twitter.com/caplannfl).

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/443483248400687104

mysticsoto
03-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Giants & Rams are apparently fighting over Schwartz. We won't be getting him. :(

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
There's rumors he's signed with the Giants... Ugh.

cookie G
03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Asomoah signs with Falcons. It wasn't a really good guard crop to begin with and the top 3 or 4 are gone (assuming Schwartz signs with the Giants or Rams.)

jimmifli
03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Asomoah signs with Falcons. It wasn't a really good guard crop to begin with and the top 3 or 4 are gone (assuming Schwartz signs with the Giants or Rams.)
pfft. Guards are easily replaced and the Bills could've found one if they had tried. They just didn't try.

- - - Updated - - -

pfft. Guards are easily replaced and the Bills could've found one if they had tried. They just didn't try.

cookie G
03-11-2014, 04:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

plan B in effect as we speak.

coastal
03-11-2014, 04:11 PM
No stone..

X-Era
03-11-2014, 04:25 PM
So Anthony Collins, Ebon Britton, John Jerry, Austin Howard still out there.

YardRat
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM

So easy that they replaced him with a mannequin, plugged in rookie and FA QB's, plugged in a rookie WR, with a new system and new coaches and the difference was hardly noticeable. So easy that the Titans ponied up a boatload of bucks, and the difference was hardly noticeable.

If you have any inside info regarding the team actually attempting to replace him and failing, it would be appreciated if you shared.

cookie G
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
So Anthony Collins, Ebon Britton, John Jerry, Austin Howard still out there.

Collins is visiting Tampa tomorrow and they've been negotiating with him. For some reason, Howard is visitingthe Raiders tomorrow.

Jerry sucks.

Maybe they can offer Michael Oher a one year contract and bring in Sandra Bullock to give him another pep talk..."Will you protect my booty, Michael?"

X-Era
03-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Collins is visiting Tampa tomorrow and they've been negotiating with him. For some reason, Howard is visitingthe Raiders tomorrow.

Jerry sucks.

Maybe they can offer Michael Oher a one year contract and bring in Sandra Bullock to give him another pep talk..."Will you protect my booty, Michael?"I'd take Oher.

The way it's headed though, with so many OL getting signed, we may be better off signing at other positions and drafting an OT and maybe even two OG's.

YardRat
03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Anything official on Schwartz yet?

cookie G
03-11-2014, 06:13 PM
I'd take Oher.

The way it's headed though, with so many OL getting signed, we may be better off signing at other positions and drafting an OT and maybe even two OG's.

He didn't have a very good 2013, but not too many on the Raven's Oline did. And I know he had a bad ankle for a while. He was far better in 2012 after he was moved to the right side.

It would be a good opportunity to redeem himself though.

I'm all for taking one of the 3 tackles, Robinson is my preference, but I think he'll need a year to be consistently good.

That may be their plan, knowing that one should be available when they pick.

Or..they might just do the usual and take one in rounds 5-7.

BertSquirtgum
03-11-2014, 06:15 PM

signed with the giants

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Source familiar with negotiations: NYG & G Geoff Schwartz have agreed to terms. Expected to sign tomorrow. He can also play tackle.

https://twitter.com/KimJonesSports/status/443490864804143104

YardRat
03-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Source familiar with negotiations: NYG & G Geoff Schwartz have agreed to terms. Expected to sign tomorrow. He can also play tackle.

https://twitter.com/KimJonesSports/status/443490864804143104

That's why I wanted him...versatility.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
That's why I wanted him...versatility.

Prior to last year he was a career backup and even last year he was a backup and only started because Asamoah was benched for ineffectiveness. Also just because he has started at OT means he's versatile as he seems to favor playing OG. There are a few other guys like him still out there. I've brought him up before but Jeff Linkenbach is a guy who's played OGand OT for the Colts and think could be a second/third waive UFA we might pursue.