• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

QB Josh McCown likely to leave Bears

With EJ's obvious inability to stay healthy, I would argue that a veteran backup QB should be our most important priority this offseason, even over LB, OG, TE, etc etc.

Whoever backs up EJ Manuel is going to get 5-6 starts automatic, so why not pursue a guy who just had a transformative season like McCown?

Right now the Bucs or the Jets appear to be the favorites to land his services. The Vikings are an outside possibility as well.

Updates from Wednesday, Mar. 12 Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports has the latest on Josh McCown's free agency: Original Text Journeyman quarterback Josh McCown emerged from ...

We'd be fools to enter 2014 without a legit plan B.

And let me pre-emptively say "DO NOT WANT" to Michael Vick.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: QB Josh McCown likely to leave Bears

Not a fan of McCown, and I'm OK going into this season with Manuel, Lewis and a mid-round rookie. Would much rather spend the money on the oline and defense, and build the team in a manner that gives them an opportunity to win regardless of who is under center. If he comes reasonably priced, and the other holes are already filled, I wouldn't be against it but I certainly wouldn't make b/u QB a higher priority than starters on the oline or D.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

McNown is not going to go anywhere to be a back-up. He did well enough last year to prove he can start. He'll never come to Buffalo to back-up Manuel.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
        McNown is not going to go anywhere to be a back-up. He did well enough last year to prove he can start. He'll never come to Buffalo to back-up Manuel.
        There are only a handful of teams that would turn over the starter job to a 34 year old journeyman after a half-season's worth of great play. Houston and Minnesota are the only ones that seem like great stops, with maybe Cleveland if they want to sit a QB for a year or two.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

i dont think they would get a vet backup bc they think ej is injury prone. he made a mistake that got his knee injured and had to deal with that the rest of the season but hes had relatively minor surgery and the whole offseason to heal so i think thats in the past

theyve also added a qb coach (finally) and a special offensive advisor (hostler) who was a former qb coach so theyve at least reduced the need for a vet qb mentor

if they add a vet it will be bc they arent comfortable with the thaddiator as primary backup, or if they think ej could benefit from getting pushed. it doesnt seem like either of those are the case so i highly doubt they will add a vet now. at best they might add a dev qb in the draft but theyve already got tuel so even that seems unlikely
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

It's also worth noting that, though we all assumed he was done, Kolb is still under contract. I'm hoping they aren't thinking of giving him the "veteran backup" role.

Comment

• JoeMama
              Emotion Sickness
              • Oct 2002

McNown is not going to go anywhere to be a back-up.
              And he's not going anywhere he'll be the automatic starter either, barring some big surprise.

So he's gonna have to roll the dice and play for a team where he thinks he has the best opportunity to work his way into the starting line-up.

Which brings me to...

Originally posted by Swiper
              He'll never come to Buffalo to back-up Manuel.
              Manuel is the perfect QB to backup if he wants playing time.
              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

McCown will be 35-years-old this upcoming season. He's only started 7 games in the past 5 years and never played all that much. Any team that is willing to annoint him starter is out of the minds IMO...not just because he played decently in 5-and-a-half games or whatever last year. There really is a reason he did not play too much over his career, and I'm not convinced he will the guy we saw last year if he starts elsewhere.

He may find a team where he has a greater chance to play but that's about it.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  There are only a handful of teams that would turn over the starter job to a 34 year old journeyman after a half-season's worth of great play. Houston and Minnesota are the only ones that seem like great stops, with maybe Cleveland if they want to sit a QB for a year or two.
                  Jacksonville. Tennessee. Houston. Cleveland. Oakland. Minnesota. Jets.

Where he goes may come to how the first round plays out.

But he thinks he's a starter.
                  Last edited by swiper; 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                    With EJ's obvious inability to stay healthy, I would argue that a veteran backup QB should be our most important priority this offseason, even over LB, OG, TE, etc etc.

Whoever backs up EJ Manuel is going to get 5-6 starts automatic, so why not pursue a guy who just had a transformative season like McCown?

Right now the Bucs or the Jets appear to be the favorites to land his services. The Vikings are an outside possibility as well.

Updates from Wednesday, Mar. 12 Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports has the latest on Josh McCown's free agency: Original Text Journeyman quarterback Josh McCown emerged from ...

We'd be fools to enter 2014 without a legit plan B.

And let me pre-emptively say "DO NOT WANT" to Michael Vick.
                    The veteran backup QB that seems more realistic is Shaun Hill as he's worked under our QB coach in Detroit and worked under our new offensive sub-coordinator Hostler in San Francisco. That said it's not a priority and wouldn't be in a rush to sign any QBs.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Jacksonville. Tennessee. Houston. Cleveland. Oakland. Minnesota. Jets.

Where he goes may come to how the first round plays out.

But he thinks he's a starter.
                      I mentioned Hou, Min, and Cle. The Jets are another interesting possibility, if they really are not sold on Geno. But Jax, Ten, and Oakland are in full on rebuilds, they have no need for a stop gap QB who's probably got 2-3 years left at best.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                        • Aug 2013

I'm torn on this. If EJ has a semi-significant injury then I think we need to lose hard so we can get another QB in the next draft. McCown might be average enough to keep that from happening.

God I can't believe I'm thinking about next years draft already.

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                          I mentioned Hou, Min, and Cle. The Jets are another interesting possibility, if they really are not sold on Geno. But Jax, Ten, and Oakland are in full on rebuilds, they have no need for a stop gap QB who's probably got 2-3 years left at best.
                          Are those teams to tel their fanbases that they are not expected to win for 3 years? Don't be surprised it 2 of those 3 teams draft a QB like Buffalo did last year and bring in a guy like a Kolb/McNown for back-up. It will be interesting to see what Tennessee does with QB. Their not sold on their starter and they saw Fitz being Fitz last season. They could make a change of direction as well.
                          Last edited by swiper; 03-10-2014, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

He would make our team better at the most important position. I think we've seen how well a team can unite behind a QB that's given a second chance. On the other hand, if EJ can beat him and win the starting job, his players have much more confidence in him.

Cost is an issue, and my preference would be to add a QB in the 3rd or 4th round, but if we aren't doing that... McCown is the best veteran option.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Based on EJ's injury history, this would be an ideal place for anyone hoping to get a shot at starting on sunday and prove themself. With that being said, I doubt the bills sign him.
                              Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X