PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't they cut Kolb yet?

Novacane
03-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Doesn't he have a roster bonus coming up soon? They aren't thinking of keeping him are they?

feldspar
03-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Nobody has said anything. The last I heard was that Kolb is going through some kind of "medical process" where he's being evaluated by doctors or some such. That was about 3 weeks ago. If he's going to be off the team, I don't expect they'll say that until the day it happens. Kind of expecting that, though. The new league year starts in just a couple of days. According to spotrac, Kolb has a $1 million roster bonus due to him on March 13th, which is just 4 days from now.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/kevin-kolb/

We'll probably know something in the next few days if this is true. I don't know why they would pay him that bonus if they don't intend to keep him, like you say.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this, but I guess they've written off Kolb a while ago.

OpIv37
03-09-2014, 03:05 PM
I believe they aren't allowed to cut him if he's injured per the CBA. They could always buy him out with an injury settlement, but if you're Kolb or his agent, why take an injury settlement now knowing that he's just a few days away from the roster bonus? They're probably holding on to get the roster bonus, and then the Bills will give him an injury settlement.

I could be wrong about this, but that's how I think it works.

On a related note, does anyone know if the roster bonus counts against the cap? If so, the Bills would be smart to give him the injury settlement now for more than the $1 million but a) I think they're too cheap to do that and b) as usual, they probably don't plan on spending anywhere near the cap so they probably don't care.

feldspar
03-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I believe they aren't allowed to cut him if he's injured per the CBA. They could always buy him out with an injury settlement, but if you're Kolb or his agent, why take an injury settlement now knowing that he's just a few days away from the roster bonus? They're probably holding on to get the roster bonus, and then the Bills will give him an injury settlement.

I could be wrong about this, but that's how I think it works.

Yeah, I was thinking injury settlement too. Dunno how that works exactly, either...just know that those things happen.

Jry44
03-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Didn't he only sign a 1yr deal last year?

feldspar
03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Didn't he only sign a 1yr deal last year?

No, two years. He's set to count $3.6 million against the cap this year according to spotrac...they'll only be a half-million in dead money if they cut him. He had a bunch of incentives to work for too; in fact, the contract was basically driven by incentives from what I remember.

Mr. Miyagi
03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Oh gawd why did we ever sign that total waste of cap space?

Generalissimus Gibby
03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Oh gawd why did we ever sign that total waste of cap space?

I don't know why we ever signed Jeff Tuel, as for Kolbe, well the idea, at least at first, was that as he did decent things in Arizona (he was mediocre, but sort of like Kelly Holcomb) he could do them here. What's sad is that even injured as he is, he's probably still our best option at that position.