PDA

View Full Version : Byrd vs Reed

Mike
03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
There have been quite a few arguments about who Byrd is and who he is not. There is a strong sentiment that Byrd does not deserve $9M+ because he is not elite, fast enough, because he is not the best ever, because he is not Ed Reed.

Here is a little perspective.

When it comes to game changing PLays, Turnovers, etc.... Byrd and Ed Reed are comparable. One of the Big differences is that Ed Reed consistently played on great defenses and some of the best defenses in league history. Byrd on the other hand, has had similar production even though he has played on some of the worst defenses, in the NFL and Bills history.

So what else is different? Ed Reed is bigger, stronger, faster, and yes he is more elite, he is the better player. Everything else being equal, most of us would choose Ed Reed given the opportunity. However, everything else is not equal and never could be.

Now what if NFL teams were given this opportunity, what would happen?

Simple, many teams would drool over Ed Reed and he would easily command $13,000,000 - $15,000,000/yr salary. Thats right, if Ed Reed was a 27 year old FA Free Safety at the pinnacle of his career he would command elite money. Money that is reserved for LT, CB, QB, WR, DE, he would get that type of money!

Now what of Byrd? Byrd would still get his $9-$10M. He is surely worth it, and the production is there. Further, in a few years with the new TV deal coming up and the increase in Cap his deal would look cheap.

So who would you rather have?
27year old Ed Reed @ $15M
or
27 year old Byrd @ $10M

Don't Panic
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Neither?

Pinkerton Security
03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Byrd first 5 years:
INTs:22
INT yards: 409
TDs:2
Total tackles:356
Fumble recoveries:5
Forced Fumbles:11

Reed first 5 years:
INTs:27
INT yards:750
TDs:3
Total tackles:329
Fumble recoveries:5
Forced Fumbles:5

Their numbers are actually closer than I would have expected - Reed still to me is in a class by himself but the thread is fairly valid to me.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I'd take Byrd at 10 over Reed at 15.

Virtually the same player at age 27, even if some fans won't admit it, and it would give 5M more to spend elsewhere.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Why the continued conversation about Byrd?

Do people still believe he may sign with the Bills?

He's gone my friends. Long gone.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Why the continued conversation about Byrd?

Do people still believe he may sign with the Bills?

He's gone my friends. Long gone.

Of course he's gone.

The front office doesn't give Williams 6.5M per if they think Byrd has any chance at resigning.

YardRat
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Byrd and Reed don't even belong in the same sentence.

jdaltroy5
03-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Byrd and Reed don't even belong in the same sentence.
Oh wait, let me guess.

Byrd is way too slow, not elite, not a game changer, and gets lucky interceptions from rookie QBs.

Whereas Reed is lightning fast and got all of his interceptions off of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Buffalogic
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm holding out hope we still get him.

streetkings01
03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
There have been quite a few arguments about who Byrd is and who he is not. There is a strong sentiment that Byrd does not deserve $9M+ because he is not elite, fast enough, because he is not the best ever, because he is not Ed Reed.

Here is a little perspective.

When it comes to game changing PLays, Turnovers, etc.... Byrd and Ed Reed are comparable. One of the Big differences is that Ed Reed consistently played on great defenses and some of the best defenses in league history. Byrd on the other hand, has had similar production even though he has played on some of the worst defenses, in the NFL and Bills history.

So what else is different? Ed Reed is bigger, stronger, faster, and yes he is more elite, he is the better player. Everything else being equal, most of us would choose Ed Reed given the opportunity. However, everything else is not equal and never could be.

Now what if NFL teams were given this opportunity, what would happen?

Simple, many teams would drool over Ed Reed and he would easily command $13,000,000 - $15,000,000/yr salary. Thats right, if Ed Reed was a 27 year old FA Free Safety at the pinnacle of his career he would command elite money. Money that is reserved for LT, CB, QB, WR, DE, he would get that type of money!

Now what of Byrd? Byrd would still get his $9-$10M. He is surely worth it, and the production is there. Further, in a few years with the new TV deal coming up and the increase in Cap his deal would look cheap.

So who would you rather have?
27year old Ed Reed @ $15M
or
27 year old Byrd @ $10M

No team with a competent GM would pay $13-$15 million for a free safety no matter how good he is. That's elite QB money.........the price for the safety market is what it is.........$7-8 mill for elite safeties........$4-6 mill for good safeties

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2014, 06:31 PM
No team with a competent GM would pay $13-$15 million for a free safety no matter how good he is. That's elite QB money.........the price for the safety market is what it is.........$7-8 mill for elite safeties........$4-6 mill for good safeties
Elite qb money is 20 million per not 15.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 06:40 PM

and being we likely won't have to signing a QB to elite money for at the earliest two more years than spend the cap money would use on an elite QB on other positions. I still not sure why our front office gave Aaron Williams the contract we did except to use at a place holder/excuse as to why we ended up losing Byrd.

streetkings01
03-11-2014, 07:05 PM
The franchise tag for QBs is $16.192 mill........care to explain how you got $20 mill?

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
The franchise tag for QBs is $16.192 mill........care to explain how you got $20 mill?
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/
Peyton Manning 19.8 million/per
Drew Brees 20 million/per
Joe Flacco 20.1 million/per
Matt Ryan 20.7 million/per
Aaron Rodgers 22 million/per