PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Carroll to visit

jdbillsfan
03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
per Jason Laconfora....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Miami CB Nolan Carroll headed to Buffalo for his first visit and others are scheduled. Big, physical corner who knows the division</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/443476982387724288">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The King
03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/nolancarroll/494254/profile

Bills are his first visit.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/nolancarroll/494254/profileOk. That's one way to start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5919/nolan-carroll

I wanted a vet as a backup at CB and this could be that.

DesertFox24
03-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Not bad he would be the boundary corner depth I was talking about.

Maybe him and Brandon Smith could be ok as depth.

I think Robey and Brooks are ok as slot guys.

jimmifli
03-11-2014, 02:56 PM
It's tough to know if our secondary was really good, teams just ran so easily. We also got killed early with a few injuries. I'm fine with improving the 3rd-5th CBs.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
He ****ing sucks.

Laughable that they even bring him in. Unreal.

THRILLHO
03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Agreed. Anytime I watched him it was a blown coverage. Not a guy I want on the roster. My roommate is a Phins fan and he will mock me mercilessly if we sign him.

gonzo1105
03-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Yup he sucks. QBs had a 65 QB rating against him and has comparable stats in completion % against to CB Sam Shields who just got 4 yrs 39 mill. Vastly underrated CB

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Yup he sucks. QBs had a 65 QB rating against him and has comparable stats in completion % against to CB Sam Shields who just got 4 yrs 39 mill. Vastly underrated CBShhh, unless they're top 5 in the league they suck.

So glad we have Ron Brooks and Nickel Robey (cough- VJax-cough).

mayotm
03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Shhh, unless they're top 5 in the league they suck.

So glad we have Ron Brooks and Nickel Robey (cough- VJax-cough).Robey played well last year. That stated, bringing Carroll in as depth would be a decent move.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Robey played well last year. That stated, bringing Carroll in as depth would be a decent move.... At times. He also was torched by V-Jax. I want a vet.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Shhh, unless they're top 5 in the league they suck.

So glad we have Ron Brooks and Nickel Robey (cough- VJax-cough).

Robey had a better season than Carroll, and he's a low cost player to boot.

Carroll will be 4th option at best because Robey has the nickel spot locked up no question.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Carroll will be 4th option at best because Robey has the nickel spot locked up no question.
Did you watch the Bucs game?

When did signing and starting (Nickel) UDFA's become acceptable?

We need solid vet depth not green as the hills unproven UDFA's.

Whether you think Caroll is a solid backup or not is subjective... not fact. Robey got torched by V-Jax and that is a fact right here on this team.

kingJofNYC
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Whether you think Caroll is a solid backup or not is subjective... not fact. Robey got torched by V-Jax and that is a fact right here on this team.

So one game is all you're pointing to with regards to Robey?

That one of the better WRs, who has a size advantage, in the league torched him as a rookie? Listen, I know you're a blind homer, and any morsel thrown your way by this FO gets you excited, but please don't downplay Robey. He had a good rookie year.

Carroll got torched repeatedly, yet you bring zero instances of him getting torched. Let the Dolphin fans have the final say if you ask me. They're all glad to be rid of him.

mayotm
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM

By that logic, do you want to get rid of every other Bill that had a bad game last year? I'm not opposed to bringing in Carroll to compete, but you seem to have something against Robey for some odd reason.

mysticsoto
03-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Let's be honest here...Our #1 corner Gilmore got torched a few times last season. People are being a little too picky with wanting perfection from players...

Night Train
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Love it.

He's good.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM

That one of the better WRs, who has a size advantage, in the league torched him as a rookie? Listen, I know you're a blind homer, and any morsel thrown your way by this FO gets you excited, but please don't downplay Robey. He had a good rookie year.

Carroll got torched repeatedly, yet you bring zero instances of him getting torched. Let the Dolphin fans have the final say if you ask me. They're all glad to be rid of him.Wheres yours?

I watched all the Bills games and Robey played well at times. That's as much as he gets. And we actually played him and actually put him up against V-Jax... and lost. On Carroll, Where is the evidence that he sucks? The above data says he actually isn't horrible.

I'm talking about a vet as a backup instead of UDFA's.

If you want UDFA's starting (as the 3rd CB) fine. Just own that.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Love it.

He's good.
I love the black and white types.

Never said he's good or bad. Just experienced which does in fact matter. I want backups to have experience to know how to handle real NFL play. I feel it's important.

I didn't realize Robey was such a stud (since everything is so black and white).

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
By that logic, do you want to get rid of every other Bill that had a bad game last year? I'm not opposed to bringing in Carroll to compete, but you seem to have something against Robey for some odd reason.That's reading into it. I never said Robey sucks. I value experience and want vets to compete.

What I don't want to do is give UDFA's a starting job without a viable vet to compete with.

mayotm
03-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Wheres yours?

I watched all the Bills games and Robey played well at times. That's as much as he gets. And we actually played him and actually put him up against V-Jax... and lost. On Carroll, Where is the evidence that he sucks? The above data says he actually isn't horrible.

I'm talking about a vet as a backup instead of UDFA's.

If you want UDFA's starting (as the 3rd CB) fine. Just own that.He was a UDFA last year and played all 16 games and played well for the most part. At this point, where he was drafted is meaningless. Fred Jackson (a UDFA) was the Bills best offensive player last year. Then again, you wanted the Bills to cut Fred during the pre-season last year.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
He was a UDFA last year and played all 16 games and played well for the most part. At this point, where he was drafted is meaningless. Fred Jackson (a UDFA) was the Bills best offensive player last year. Then again, you wanted the Bills to cut Fred during the pre-season last year.
Robey's all we need as our #3 CB. Got it.

Sorry I want veteran competition. Just that easy.

mayotm
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Robey's all we need as our #3 CB. Got it.

Sorry I want veteran competition. Just that easy.I guess you are having trouble reading. I've written multiple times in this thread that bringing Carroll in to compete as depth is a good thing. I'm simply having difficulty understanding your "Robey isn't good enough because he's a UDFA" argument. Again, the fact the Robey wasn't drafted is meaningless.

TedMock
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Carroll is a decent player, who had a decent 2013, who is 6'1", and who could back up the outside, left and right. I like Robey too...in the slot. A decent vet in rotatation on the outside seems to be a common sense move to me.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I guess you are having trouble reading. I've written multiple times in this thread that bringing Carroll in to compete as depth is a good thing. I'm simply having difficulty understanding your "Robey isn't good enough because he's a UDFA" argument. Again, the fact the Robey wasn't drafted is meaningless.
Then I'm not the one having trouble reading.

Veteran depth is a good thing IMO. Having guys that have played in real NFL games is not trivial. I have never liked putting UDFA's in as your primary backups because we have no choice.

I want to sign veteran players and force UDFA's or even drafted rookies to beat them out. That sort of depth is what we should strive for.

Robey may be a bad example of this but signing a vet CB as a backup is the sort of thing we should do.

better days
03-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Carroll got torched repeatedly, yet you bring zero instances of him getting torched. Let the Dolphin fans have the final say if you ask me. They're all glad to be rid of him.

WOW, You & I are on the same page.

mayotm
03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Then I'm not the one having trouble reading.

Veteran depth is a good thing IMO. Having guys that have played in real NFL games is not trivial. I have never liked putting UDFA's in as your primary backups because we have no choice.

I want to sign veteran players and force UDFA's or even drafted rookies to beat them out. That sort of depth is what we should strive for.

Robey may be a bad example of this but signing a vet CB as a backup is the sort of thing we should do.You clearly are having difficulty. How many games does Robey (or any other UDFA) have to play before they meet your criteria of having enough experience?

gonzo1105
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
No matter what people think of Carroll, if he is the first guy they bring in they are 1). Very interested in him and 2). They are not gonna bring him in as a # 4 CB. He's gonna be their nickel at minimum.

better days
03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Let's be honest here...Our #1 corner Gilmore got torched a few times last season. People are being a little too picky with wanting perfection from players...

Well, let's be honest.

Gilmore was INJURED when he got torched.

After he got healthy, he played GREAT!

EDS
03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
As long as this keeps them from using another early pick on a corner I am all for it.

EDS
03-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Carroll is a decent player, who had a decent 2013, who is 6'1", and who could back up the outside, left and right. I like Robey too...in the slot. A decent vet in rotatation on the outside seems to be a common sense move to me.

I see this as more of a lack of faith in guys like Ron Brooks than anything else.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
You clearly are having difficulty. How many games does Robey (or any other UDFA) have to play before they meet your criteria of having enough experience?
I'd like more than none when they play their first game as a Bill.

We have common ground here. We both have no issue in bringing in a vet to compete.

Forget Robey. How about Carroll replaces Ron Brooks instead? Are we good then?

Then Carroll and Robey can compete for the #3 CB job.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
I see this as more of a lack of faith in guys like Ron Brooks than anything else.Agreed. I made the mistake of making this about Robey.

Let's just make it that we could use a vet in the CB corp.

YardRat
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Robey over-achieved last season relative to his status how he was acquired, and was a nice surprise. Doesn't preclude that vet depth for the outside is always a good thing.

Of course Carroll got torched...the only CB's in this league that don't are sitting the bench or relegated to ST duty only. It comes with the territory. Not necessarily the exact person I had in mind to bring in, but it's always a little bit gratifying when something happens that indicates that as a fan, you are somewhat on the same page as the front office.

feldspar
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, let's be honest.

Gilmore was INJURED when he got torched.

After he got healthy, he played GREAT!

The thing about Gilmore last year is that he broke his wrist...he was out, then played with the club for a hand, then had pins in his wrist, which would become swollen. He couldn't really jam WRs at the line of scrimmage effectively because of this, and that's a significant part of his game in a major way. He could not play to his strength with one arm.

There is no reason not to be optimistic about Gilmore heading into the future. People that want to make assumptions based on last year don't have the facts, apparently.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Just like Ron Brooks had a great rookie season and appeared to have the nickel spot locked up heading into 2013. I'm all for adding a veteran CB with size to the mix. At the very worst Carroll will be cut and/or be a sixth CB and at best a nickel back. He shouldn't be too expensive so am all for it.

Raptor
03-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Carroll sucks.... Need proof? Go to any Dolphins board and they are putting up money to buy his plane ticket out of Miami...guy gets touched on the reg

mysticsoto
03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
The thing about Gilmore last year is that he broke his wrist...he was out, then played with the club for a hand, then had pins in his wrist, which would become swollen. He couldn't really jam WRs at the line of scrimmage effectively because of this, and that's a significant part of his game in a major way. He could not play to his strength with one arm.

There is no reason not to be optimistic about Gilmore heading into the future. People that want to make assumptions based on last year don't have the facts, apparently.

LOL! I'm not making any assumptions. All I'm saying is that for people who are slamming Carroll for getting burnt need to realize it happens to the best CBs out there also. You can put excuses for Gilmore all you want, but fact of the matter is, he got burnt a few times.

soapman
03-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Yep just like last year. Big splash Buffalo...

feldspar
03-11-2014, 11:59 PM
LOL! I'm not making any assumptions. All I'm saying is that for people who are slamming Carroll for getting burnt need to realize it happens to the best CBs out there also. You can put excuses for Gilmore all you want, but fact of the matter is, he got burnt a few times.

ROFL!

Who the **** said anything about you? I wasn't talking to you.

These are the facts with Gilmore as well, not excuses. Gilmore was unable to play to his major strength because of his wrist injury. Are you unaware of his apporach?

Carroll does not excite me.

DesertFox24
03-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Guys Robey is a slot corner and never should be on the outside. That being said he played well for any rookie first round to UDFA.

I agree that we need some vet depth, but I want boundary corner depth not slot corner depth.

My point if Gilmore or mckelvin get hurt I do not want Robey lining up outside but the bet corner depth. If Robey gets hurt I want brooks going in not the vet corner depth.

With the way the league is now slot corners are not boundary corners they are almost two different positions.

feldspar
03-12-2014, 12:21 AM
The Bills will bring in several corners this offseason, and they should.

What kills me sometimes is how fans complain about the focus of bringing in DBs, when a huge proportion on players on the field are DBs on a lot of plays.

jimbohastle51
03-12-2014, 12:22 AM
I would be very happy with this signing. Solid corner that is underrated IMO. 6'1" 205lbs and can cover.

mysticsoto
03-12-2014, 07:55 AM
ROFL!

Who the **** said anything about you? I wasn't talking to you.

These are the facts with Gilmore as well, not excuses. Gilmore was unable to play to his major strength because of his wrist injury. Are you unaware of his apporach?

Carroll does not excite me.

I don't really care about your opinion. What I was saying boils down to a simple, Carroll is fine for a backup position and STs. Period.

sukie
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Nolan Carroll was a brunt of a Nolan Carroll appreciation day joke amongst me and my bills fan pals a while back. Bills must have torched him a couple a times. He didn't play ST and fumble? I can't remember.

That being said. SIGN HIM!!!!!!!

gonzo1105
03-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Carroll will do one of two things. You'll never see him again after today because of this weather or he'll sign because he cant get out of the city for the next day or two as his other options dwindle lol

feldspar
03-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't really care about your opinion.

Great talkin' to ya then.