28 mill guaranteed

9 mill per.

Dumb money. Sorry.

GingerP
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Saints announced it, he is gone.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Not rumor. Being widely reported. Good, our money is free to use as we like.

Buffalogic
03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Wow I wonder what the terms were.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
I honestly dont care. Im glad the guys I want most are still out there and we're not waiting to hear from Byrd.

Buffalogic
03-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I honestly dont care. Im glad the guys I want most are still out there and we're not waiting to hear from Byrd.Not excited to blow a draft pick on another safety.

jdbillsfan
03-11-2014, 08:15 PM
At least he is not in the AFC/AFC East.

Saints seem to have bigger needs, but good for them. Hopefully Buffalo adds some decent FA talent and has a good draft. They can overcome this.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Not excited to blow a draft pick on another safety.Hopefully we don't.

Theoretically that means we wasted picks on Searcy, D Williams, and Meeks.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:16 PM
It was always free to use as we wish. Buffalo and Byrd knew he wasn't coming back. Our lack of moves in free agency on day one has nothing to do with waiting to see what Byrd wanted to do.

Mace
03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Good to see he looked around carefully to find his best deal. Clever young man testing his best career earnings potential as long as it isn't here.

Say goodbye to 2 or 3 more Saints. Maybe one of them will be someone we can use.

I normally wish the best to our FA's that leave. I don't feel the love this time, and I'm not even real fond of Byrd to miss him much.

DraftBoy
03-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Vaccaro at SS and Byrd at FS will make a nice combination.

Best of luck to him.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Man you know it would take a horrible ran franchise like the Saints who hasn't won anything recently, have a crappy team and a HC to sign a slow FS that really isn't any good. You know there aren't any good teams that would spend that money. The Bills obviously know more then the Saints.

psubills62
03-11-2014, 08:21 PM
At least we can move on now.

Jry44
03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
It's not like we were winning with him....

X-Era
At least we can move on now.Yes we really can. I thought this thing could drag out for a week or more. It's not even 12 hours yet.

Our money can go elsewhere thankfully.

Mace
Hopefully we don't.

Theoretically that means we wasted picks on Searcy, D Williams, and Meeks.

Theoretically though, it also could mean we drafted them for depth and roles around Byrd and they might still have them with (insert name here).

Won't be Delmas, or Ward though. Hope they promptly resign Leonhard, he signs with Cleveland though.

jdbillsfan
03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Any chance we get a 3rd out of this in next years draft?

Skooby
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
He was determined to leave.

Buffalogic
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
At least we can move on now.
I don't want to. I miss him already. All our homegrown talent leaves. It's bogus.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Theoretically though, it also could mean we drafted them for depth and roles around Byrd and they might still have them with (insert name here).

Won't be Delmas, or Ward though. Hope they promptly resign Leonhard, he signs with Cleveland though.Ryan Grant is still out there...

gr8slayer
03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
We're just the farm league.

Skooby
03-11-2014, 08:30 PM

We prepare them for victory !!

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
8+ mill to spend now... let's go.

I'll take Spikes and...?

GingerP
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Chris Clemons is all that is left and he is strictly a FS, so Williams would be playing SS.

After that there is slim pickings for vets, along the lines of Nate Allen.

Buffalogic
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Ryan Grant is still out there...We're really in trouble if we plan to sign former Green Bay running back Ryan Grant to play free safety for us.

GingerP
03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Reported at six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed

YardRat
03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/03/new_orleans_saints_agree_to_te_12.html

The Saints aren't in a position to spent megabucks on a free agent as they're about $2 million under the salary cap. So the team is willing to make moves within their building concerning salaries to make a splash. The team will add $3.5 million in salary cap space once it finally unloads running back Darren Sproles. There are also players such as running back Pierre Thomas ($2.9 million salary cap figure in 2014) and defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley ($6.1 million in 2014) that could be on the salary cap chopping block.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
We sure showed Byrd who is boss. Just like Peters, Lynch, Greer, Pat Williams, etc.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I would not have predicted the saints with their cap situation

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
We're really in trouble if we plan to sign former Green Bay running back Ryan Grant to play free safety for us.
Ryan Clark....

It's been a long day man.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Parker was right.

That said... Do zero business with Parker again...

Except for Sammy Watkins. :D:

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Lets just quit doing business with any agent that looks to get his player his market value when his contract is up. That doesn't leave us many players to choose from. Maybe that's why we overpay for average players instead of shelling out the extra money it takes to sign the top players. Average players love Buffalo. They all flock here looking to get paid.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Saints-sign-Jairus-Byrd-on-day-one-of-free-agency/3eabcfc5-30b4-45fd-8199-a0be862b9af7

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
I would not have predicted the saints with their cap situation

It's called finding a way to get it done.

X-Era
If the Bills had balls and wanted to make a statement they'd go right after Jimmy Graham.

Or sign any significant deal at all.

Hell give me Brandon Spikes and another legit signee and I'd be good.

streetkings01
Can anyone name a team that doesn't lose it's good players?

Chiefs just lost 2/5 of their starting oline.........49ers lost both starting safeties from the Super Bowl team in back to back years. Packers are about to lose Finley, Jones and a starting olineman. This is what free agency is designed for.........the only way we keep every player is if the NFL does away with the salary cap and goes back to 6-8 year deals.

casdhf
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Is it me or is that insane money for a safety?

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Is it me or is that insane money for a safety?
It's not you... It's insane money.

DBrown77
03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
I bet Jimmy Graham is thrilled!

Byrd will be a cap casualty in 3 years with that backloaded contract.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
If the Bills had balls and wanted to make a statement they'd go right after Jimmy Graham.

Or sign any significant deal at all.

Hell give me Brandon Spikes and another legit signee and I'd be good.

and you're prepared to give up the two 1st Rounders to get him? It's tempting but not sure Graham have the same success here as he does getting thrown to by Drew Brees.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
and you're prepared to give up the two 1st Rounders to get him? It's tempting but not sure Graham have the same success here as he does getting thrown to by Drew Brees.
The Saints aren't Byrd and they can trade whatever they like for the rights to Graham. Would I give up a 1st rounder? Yeah, I would. And then sign Strief too.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Dear Doug,

Check your pocket. It has 8+ mill in it. Your move.

Love,

X

DynaPaul
03-11-2014, 08:56 PM
He won't see the end of that contract. He'll be either forced to restructure in a couple of years or cut.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
6.5 million for a top 15 often injured safety with one decent season is a steal but 9 million a year for a top 3 safety with 5 proven years under his belt is insane money. Only in Bills land. What do we know though. The Bills are obviously a better ran organization then the Saints.

ServoBillieves
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Didn't want to be here, so good riddance. If he wanted to be here he would've signed that joke we offered before. Bye bye Byrdie

Fixxxer
03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Good luck Byrd, may the plantar fasciitis be with you.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
He won't see the end of that contract. He'll be either forced to restructure in a couple of years or cut.

How many players do see the end of a six year contract? Especially when they are 27 years old following their rookie contract? It's all about the guaranteed money in the contract. Even the best players have to restructure or be cut after 30 years of age.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
The Saints aren't Byrd and they can trade whatever they like for the rights to Graham. Would I give up a 1st rounder? Yeah, I would. And then sign Strief too.

Graham have to sign with the Saints and then we'd have to negotiate a trade for him. As if we just sign him to an offer sheet and it's not matched then the compensation for Graham is 2 first rounders. In terms of Streif I'm indifferent as yes like to see us improve RT but not sure want to give a RT big money.

Crisis
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
How does the NFL still get away with not having their contracts guaranteed, anyways? Doesn't every other major sport have guaranteed contracts?

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM

and?

X-Era
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
6.5 million for a top 15 often injured safety with one decent season is a steal but 9 million a year for a top 3 safety with 5 proven years under his belt is insane money. Only in Bills land. What do we know though. The Bills are obviously a better ran organization then the Saints.
Any organization can win with Drew Brees.

Aaron Williams is a good extension. I think his best days are ahead of him.

Theoretically the Saints paid 9 mill for 7 games... or maybe Byrd was tanking on us?

Good for them. Good for him.

I'm glad we have Williams long term and I'm glad we aren't spending that much coin on S's.

DBrown77
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
2years in a row that our top UFA gets insane money. Lesson learned? Sign them to an extension early ala A Williams.

Demon
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Didn't want to be here, so good riddance. If he wanted to be here he would've signed that joke we offered before. Bye bye Byrdie

Agreed. Sucks to see star players move, but i'm more concerned about players who will be here to battle. Whaley needs to stay at bay, not overpay for any free agents and kill it at the draft again.

Crisis
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
I can't wait in a few years to lose Kiko to FA and everybody here will delude themselves into thinking he's average to cope with it.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
2years in a row that our top UFA gets insane money. Lesson learned? Sign them to an extension early ala A Williams.Knock on wood but two years from now we could look real good on the Williams extension.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Theoretically the Saints paid 9 mill for 7 games... or maybe Byrd was tanking on us?

I'm glad we have Williams long term and I'm glad we aren't spending that much coin on S's.

I haven't looked but pretty sure Williams is the 9th highest paid Safety in the league. Yes the other guys are getting peanuts but we can afford to overspend on S when we're severely underpaying the QB position. It's called managing the cap.

JoeMama
03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Fitting destination for Byrd in a droll kind of way.

The Saints are basically swapping out tires on their luxury sedan of Bills' defensive backs.

They got their mileage out of Jabari Greer (who turned out to be a great "big contract" value for them) so now they're replacing him with a DB of the same brand.

I think lightning strikes twice and Byrd will be a good fit in New Orleans.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
I haven't looked but pretty sure Williams is the 9th highest paid Safety in the league. Yes the other guys are getting peanuts but we can afford to overspend on S when we're severely underpaying the QB position. It's called managing the cap.
Not anymore. He's probably 11th or 12th.

JoeMama
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
I can't wait in a few years to lose Kiko to FA and everybody here will delude themselves into thinking he's average to cope with it.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's the ritual around here.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Not rumor. Being widely reported. Good, our money is free to use as we like.

"Yes, yes it is."
-- signed Ralph's Wallet

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Not anymore. He's probably 11th or 12th.

Personally I think it was foolish to sign him now, one year does not make a career. I hope I'm wrong.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Personally I think it was foolish to sign him now, one year does not make a career. I hope I'm wrong.
I do too.

To be fair I also wondered why now.

direbills
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Our money can go elsewhere thankfully.

Yeah I am sure but not to the team. It will go to someone's pocket. This is a rotten franchise and hate the fact that I like the Bills.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM

As long as Farmer Ralph is alive.

X-Era
03-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah I am sure but not to the team. It will go to someone's pocket. This is a rotten franchise and hate the fact that I like the Bills.Loving the Bills is a bit sadomasochistic... we do love to be whipped.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:22 PM
I do too.

To be fair I also wondered why now.

I think it was an attempt to save face for losing Byrd.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 09:23 PM

No they paid 9 million a year for 5 years worth of proven production and being the biggest ballhawking safety since he entered the league.

I'm glad they signed Williams since we're not keeping Byrd but he did receive more money then his play has warranted up to this point. He better become a top 5 safety next year and for years to come after that contract. They basically took the money they were spending on Byrd last year and willing to spend on him and gave it to Williams instead. Had Byrd been signed then Williams wouldn't see that extension right now. Only in Buffalo can you go from a laughingstock of the defensive backfield for years to being paid as a top 8 safety in the league all in 14 games while letting your best defensive back walk over a couple more million a year.

So you would rather save 2.5 million a year for a lesser player and then either pocket that money or sign a fringe starter? That's how the Bills have been operating for years and it hasn't worked. Sign a lesser player for cheaper money and then pocket the 15-20+ million in cap space every year.

No matter how you look at it we just took another step back. We signed Williams to an extension but we still lost Byrd and we're now weaker at that position then we were before. Signing Williams wasn't an addition to the team. For every decent player we draft we let another two walk. That's why we're a 5-7 win team for the most part over the past 14 years.

direbills
03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
It's called managing the cap.

More like "managing the CRAP".

EDS
03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Can anyone name a team that doesn't lose it's good players?

Chiefs just lost 2/5 of their starting oline.........49ers lost both starting safeties from the Super Bowl team in back to back years. Packers are about to lose Finley, Jones and a starting olineman. This is what free agency is designed for.........the only way we keep every player is if the NFL does away with the salary cap and goes back to 6-8 year deals.

Except those teams win . . .

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
No they paid 9 million a year for 5 years worth of proven production and being the biggest ballhawking safety since he entered the league.

I'm glad they signed Williams since we're not keeping Byrd but he did receive more money then his play has warranted up to this point. He better become a top 5 safety next year and for years to come after that contract. They basically took the money they were spending on Byrd last year and willing to spend on him and gave it to Williams instead. Had Byrd been signed then Williams wouldn't see that extension right now. Only in Buffalo can you go from a laughingstock of the defensive backfield for years to being paid as a top 8 safety in the league all in 14 games while letting your best defensive back walk over a couple more million a year.

So you would rather save 2.5 million a year for a lesser player and then either pocket that money or sign a fringe starter? That's how the Bills have been operating for years and it hasn't worked. Sign a lesser player for cheaper money and then pocket the 15-20+ million in cap space every year.

No matter how you look at it we just took another step back. We signed Williams to an extension but we still lost Byrd and we're now weaker at that position then we were before. Signing Williams wasn't an addition to the team. For every decent player we draft we let another two walk. That's why we're a 5-7 win team for the most part over the past 14 years.

Well said but let's also remember Williams played SS last year, the player that's replacing Byrd is Searcy/Duke Williams/Meeks.

better days
03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Well, there is an age difference. Byrd is 28 while Williams is 24.

I will bet that over the next 4 years, Williams plays better than Byrd.

Mace
03-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Ryan Clark....

It's been a long day man.

I admit I was somewhat uncertain at your reply. This doesn't happen to me often.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Williams is going to turn into an All Pro overnight and Byrd is going to turn into an average S? I doubt it but again I hope I'm wrong.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 09:34 PM

They couldn't sign Byrd for that money so they put on their poker face and gave the money to Williams instead. If you won't take the money they are willing to pay then they will give it to somebody who is willing to accept that amount which is always a player of lesser value.

There is no reason why they couldn't have waited for a month or two into the next season to see how Williams played before giving him the contract. Even IF he played decent and they couldn't sign him then it probably wouldn't have cost them anymore money then it did now.

If Byrd only got 2.5 million more after 5 years of proven top level play then he definitely wasn't get as much as him. At the very worse it may have been for 7 million or so IF he did play good but at least you got another half of season to see if he could duplicate last years play AND stay healthy. Also with considering how much the other safeties got this year it would've been a stretch to say he would've gotten anymore then he already did. Williams was the 3rd highest paid safety this offseason and he wasn't even a free agent.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Are you already justifying in your mind that it was smart to let Byrd walk and sign Williams instead? Some things never change. LOL

I would hope that 4 years from now Williams is better then a 32 year old Byrd after giving him top 8 money. Even if that's the case then you still had several good years out of Byrd. It's not like the contracts are 100% guaranteed. Basically the first few years of them are and after that it's all up for grabs and they go from there. It's not like the Saints have guaranteed him that money until he is 34 years old.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Could it be as simple as the Bills being unwilling to pay the $28M guaranteed money that the Saints did?

Maybe the anomaly of the Mario signing can be explained as a marketing expense to sell tickets. That did not work in Buffalo or Toronto since sell outs needed to be manufactured.

I don't see anymore $20M+ cheques being signed under this ownership.

The Jokeman
03-11-2014, 09:41 PM
They couldn't sign Byrd for that money so they put on their poker face and gave the money to Williams instead. If you won't take the money they are willing to pay then they will give it to somebody who is willing to accept that amount which is always a player of lesser value.

There is no reason why they couldn't have waited for a month or two into the next season to see how Williams played before giving him the contract. Even IF he played decent and they couldn't sign him then it probably wouldn't have cost them anymore money then it did now.

If Byrd only got 2.5 million more after 5 years of proven top level play then he definitely wasn't get as much as him. At the very worse it may have been for 7 million or so IF he did play good but at least you got another half of season to see if he could duplicate last years play AND stay healthy. Also with considering how much the other safeties got this year it would've been a stretch to say he would've gotten anymore then he already did. Williams was the 3rd highest paid safety this offseason and he wasn't even a free agent.
I know it was an absolutely horrible decision in my eyes, the only saving grace is if what Chris Brown reported is true that he won't get the money until 2015 that means we at least can hopefully use some of the cap space to maybe lure in a free agent this season but sadly knowing us we'll use it on 2 or 3 scrubs versus superior talent.

Mace
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
It's called finding a way to get it done.

In this case, I think it's called "they have big problems and more people have to go". Was reading some Saints boards and they're even alarmed past "It's FO wizardry !". It's really not and goodbye Jimmy Graham. I like the Saints, always have, but I really find it amazing they frosted their cake with an expensive safety for Rob Ryan, The previous or probable moves basically cleared cap for their draft class. If Byrd took a backloaded deal I think he's going to be a less marketable FA again in a couple years making less money than if he'd have signed with any frontloaded team whatever. Won't bother me any, but it's bizarre.

Bert102176
03-11-2014, 09:44 PM

he has to go down on the owner once a day, hope he tears his knees up in the first practice

direbills
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
he has to go down on the owner once a day, hope he tears his knees up in the first practice

You mean Russ Brandon, correct? I agree.

Turf
03-11-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't suppose he'll miss the first 6 games because his feet hurt this year. ****ing liar.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't suppose he'll miss the first 6 games because his feet hurt this year. ****ing liar.

Of course he won't. Him sitting out the first 6 games was his only way of saying FU to Brandon and the organization for making him wait another year for his 9M per plus big guaranteed money.

And here people thought I, and others, were crazy for saying pay the guy 9M per and be done with it.

But hey the organization saved 2.5M per with Williams! 2.5M more for Ralphies bank account per year.

BillsFever21
03-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Of course he won't. Him sitting out the first 6 games was his only way of saying FU to Brandon and the organization for making him wait another year for his 9M per plus big guaranteed money.

And here people thought I, and others, were crazy for saying pay the guy 9M per and be done with it.

But hey the organization saved 2.5M per with Williams! 2.5M more for Ralphies bank account per year.

And the worse part is we probably could've had him for 8.5 million tops last season. The Bills thought they could offer the amount of the franchise tag and call it a real offer. Instead they gave that money to Williams. Hey at least maybe we can still hit our 20 million under the cap target this season.

In the end it worked out pretty good for Byrd. He got 6.9 million for playing on the tag last season and probably received even more money then he could've received last year after the increase in the salary cap. Even if he didn't he still stretched it out one more year and ended up with 35 million in guaranteed money between what we paid him last season and what he received this year. Had he signed for 28 million in guaranteed last season then he may have never seen another 7 million dollars at 33+ years of age.

BuffaloRedleg
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM
The Saints, a perennial Superbowl contender, somehow found the money under the salary cap to sign him. Yet the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs since 1999, couldn't possibly make room for him.

Seems legit.

Anyone saying the Bills were smart to let him go, I'll be more than willing to bet the Saints make the playoffs 3 times before the Bills make it once.

So ******* frustrating on so many levels.

Mike
03-11-2014, 11:28 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/03/new_orleans_saints_agree_to_te_12.html

The Saints aren't in a position to spent megabucks on a free agent as they're about $2 million under the salary cap. So the team is willing to make moves within their building concerning salaries to make a splash. The team will add $3.5 million in salary cap space once it finally unloads running back Darren Sproles. There are also players such as running back Pierre Thomas ($2.9 million salary cap figure in 2014) and defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley ($6.1 million in 2014) that could be on the salary cap chopping block.

Its funny the saints can afford to pay top dollar for a FS when they are barely $2M under the cap and we can't afford to overpay the top FA with over $20M under the cap!

Bills= 2nd rate franchise

Mike
03-11-2014, 11:31 PM
We sure showed Byrd who is boss. Just like Peters, Lynch, Greer, Pat Williams, etc.

Same story, same result different players. Surely not all good players are greedy. At some point you have to look in the mirror and blame the franchise. At some point you have realize that the person writing the checks is the greediest of them all.

coastal
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Good mgmt pays for production.

Levitre was our best Olinemen during his rookie contract tenure here. He wasn't even offered a contract.

Byrd totally produced during his rookie contract. We low-balled him, tagged him, and then let him walk.

Mario... questionable production... We sign him to $100 million contract, and were supposed to believe it was a football decision and not a business decision?

wake up people... Ralph and his Detroit cronies have been and still are scamming us.

Aaron Williams... big ****ing deal.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Are you already justifying in your mind that it was smart to let Byrd walk and sign Williams instead? Some things never change. LOL

The homer switch flipped when his jersey changed color.

Tatonka
03-12-2014, 01:08 AM
i like the saints.. will be fun rooting for them this season..

jamze132
03-12-2014, 04:03 AM
I just don't understand why we draft a guy then refuse to pay him when he turns out to be one of the best in his position in the NFL. Prepare for another 6-10 season where we're $20M under the ****ing cap.

YardRat
03-12-2014, 05:17 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/3/12/5499704/jairus-byrd-contract-details-buffalo-bills-offer

Late Tuesday night, after the news of Byrd signing with New Orleans became official, Tim Graham of The Buffalo News provided two more details - one about the Bills' final offer, and one about Byrd's signing bonus with the Saints.

Graham reports that Buffalo's final offer would have paid Byrd roughly $7.5 million per season (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/443583018129956864) over the life of the deal. That does not necessarily refute Wawrow's report, of course; the Bills could have simply offered Byrd a six-year, $45 million contract that paid him $10 million per season for three years, and $5 million per season for another three. (If their offer was shorter than that, then Byrd's annual take after the first three years would have been even smaller.)
Byrd also will pull in an $11 million signing bonus from the Saints, according to Graham. The guaranteed figure of Buffalo's final offer has been conspicuously absent for more than a week, and it would not be surprising if that remained the case. This is the most important missing context of Buffalo's offer, and may have been an even bigger factor in Byrd's decision to leave than the annual average over the life of the contract.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 05:25 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/3/12/5499704/jairus-byrd-contract-details-buffalo-bills-offer

Late Tuesday night, after the news of Byrd signing with New Orleans became official, Tim Graham of The Buffalo News provided two more details - one about the Bills' final offer, and one about Byrd's signing bonus with the Saints.

Graham reports that Buffalo's final offer would have paid Byrd roughly $7.5 million per season (https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/443583018129956864) over the life of the deal. That does not necessarily refute Wawrow's report, of course; the Bills could have simply offered Byrd a six-year, $45 million contract that paid him $10 million per season for three years, and $5 million per season for another three. (If their offer was shorter than that, then Byrd's annual take after the first three years would have been even smaller.)
Byrd also will pull in an $11 million signing bonus from the Saints, according to Graham. The guaranteed figure of Buffalo's final offer has been conspicuously absent for more than a week, and it would not be surprising if that remained the case. This is the most important missing context of Buffalo's offer, and may have been an even bigger factor in Byrd's decision to leave than the annual average over the life of the contract.

The Bills did not offer Byrd enough guaranteed money.

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 05:37 AM
The Saints, a perennial Superbowl contender, somehow found the money under the salary cap to sign him. Yet the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs since 1999, couldn't possibly make room for him.

Seems legit.

Anyone saying the Bills were smart to let him go, I'll be more than willing to bet the Saints make the playoffs 3 times before the Bills make it once.

So ******* frustrating on so many levels.:rofl: "Perennial Super Bowl contender"? Maybe in the last 6 years. The Saints didn't make the playoffs for the first 20 years of their existence. They made them 4 times in 30 years and 10 times total.

elltrain22
03-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Whatever the case may be, its the same old Bills. We may have a new coach, a new GM, etc. The fact is this, we let another really good player walk. We should've paid, but we didn't, and now, another player, in his prime, will play for another team. How any Bills fan could be happy that we have more money, less drama, or whatever isn't being realistic, and isn't being objective. This is a very bad day to be a Bills fan.

YardRat
03-12-2014, 05:56 AM
The Saints basically went 'all-in' on Byrd, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

They are done in free agency, except for fill-in no-names. Cuts are coming to purge cap space. Is Graham paying attention to Parker/Byrd, and how they handled the tag? How much will he be looking for now, and will New Orleans be able to keep him? He's not looking for top TE money, he wants WR dollars.

swiper
03-12-2014, 06:11 AM

That being said, Byrd was not worth that contract. This is much like the Levitre departure. These were good, not great players, who the blue collar, lunch-bucket fan base really liked that used their one window to cash in and go. I hate Ralph Wilson more than most. He IS cheap. And Brandon is his personal parrot, but I am not heart-broken that the Bills didn't give Byrd all that guaranteed money. His level of play does not rise to that level.

Letting him go is justifiable if the money is used to get other players. And, as has been pointed out, the Bills have money to spend. But the Bills aren't on the very bottom of the list of money under the cap. But go get Spikes, and I will get over losing Byrd. And part of me is laughing at the Saints for guaranteeing Byrd, who proved to me that he's all about himself, all that cash. Check back on this deal in 5 years or so.

TacklingDummy
03-12-2014, 06:31 AM
The Saints, a perennial Superbowl contender, somehow found the money under the salary cap to sign him. Yet the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs since 1999, .
The Saints are a Drew Brees injury away from being the Bills. If not worse.

Meathead
03-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I admit I was somewhat uncertain at your reply. This doesn't happen to me often.

classic irony

Meathead
03-12-2014, 06:43 AM
tbh in the end byrd won. he had to take a lot of big risks but he rolled himself into mo money and in some ways a better some ways worse city. he did aight for himself. i still wouldnt recommend his methods

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Some fans call the Bills' "a farm team". Maybe so, but the reason is that not a lot of players want to come or stay in Buffalo. I love WNY, think it's a great place to live and raise a family, but I know the area. Twentysomething players usually don't. They get an idea about it from the National perception and sometimes it clouds their opinion. The winters are dreary and players that grow up in Florida, Texas and California aren't used to the climate. So, when a player can get the same money living in New Orleans, San Diego, Florida or Texas, they go. Also, NY State income tax plays a role just like taxes on business drove many companies out in the '70's. Players looking for nightlife may also be disappointed in WNY, like MaGahee.

Bottom line is a lot of fans blame the organization for making decisions that lead to players leaving, but the ball is squarely in the players court. If he doesn't like the area, he's gone. Both Levitre and Byrd weren't worth the kind of contract they signed and the Bills' would have to pay more to get them to stay. Little *****es that cry about OBD are just butthurt because we keep losing players that we drafted, but it makes sense businesswise. Bryd's fate with Buffalo was sealed when he sat out. If indeed he has plantar fasciitis, it is a chronic condition and will likely cause him to miss more games.

I was never for paying Byrd that much money considering he is no where near the best safety in the league, his presumed condition, nd his and his agents antics.

Good riddance.

jdaltroy5
03-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Some fans call the Bills' "a farm team". Maybe so, but the reason is that not a lot of players want to come or stay in Buffalo. I love WNY, think it's a great place to live and raise a family, but I know the area. Twentysomething players usually don't. They get an idea about it from the National perception and sometimes it clouds their opinion. The winters are dreary and players that grow up in Florida, Texas and California aren't used to the climate. So, when a player can get the same money living in New Orleans, San Diego, Florida or Texas, they go. Also, NY State income tax plays a role just like taxes on business drove many companies out in the '70's. Players looking for nightlife may also be disappointed in WNY, like MaGahee.

Bottom line is a lot of fans blame the organization for making decisions that lead to players leaving, but the ball is squarely in the players court. If he doesn't like the area, he's gone. Both Levitre and Byrd weren't worth the kind of contract they signed and the Bills' would have to pay more to get them to stay. Little *****es that cry about OBD are just butthurt because we keep losing players that we drafted, but it makes sense businesswise. Bryd's fate with Buffalo was sealed when he sat out. If indeed he has plantar fasciitis, it is a chronic condition and will likely cause him to miss more games.

I was never for paying Byrd that much money considering he is no where near the best safety in the league, his presumed condition, nd his and his agents antics.

Good riddance.The excuse that a player doesn't want to play in Buffalo because of the weather or the lack of glamour is ridiculous.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincy, Minnesota, and some others are very similar towns (some are worse actually) and most don't have any issue retaining their talent.

It is 100% the team and their tactics that turn players off.

kishoph
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I just don't understand why we draft a guy then refuse to pay him when he turns out to be one of the best in his position in the NFL. Prepare for another 6-10 season where we're $20M under the ****ing cap.

Where did they refuse to pay him ? They offered him big money, he "refused" to play for the Bills. Where they suppose to give him a percentage of the team ?

After the **** he pulled last season, I wouldn't guarantee him anything. In a year or two the Saints will be kicking themselves for signing Bryd to this contract. If he does produce, you can bet that Parker will have him holding out for a new contract with 3 years left on this one. Good riddance.

Mike
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Where did they refuse to pay him ? They offered him big money, he "refused" to play for the Bills. Where they suppose to give him a percentage of the team ?

After the **** he pulled last season, I wouldn't guarantee him anything. In a year or two the Saints will be kicking themselves for signing Bryd to this contract. If he does produce, you can bet that Parker will have him holding out for a new contract with 3 years left on this one. Good riddance.

Don't be silly.
Bills offer was clearly not as good as Saints offer. And the problem remains, this is a trend of letting their best players go and overpaying their average players ( Kelsey, A. Williams, etc)

If you like the A. Williams deal making him top 10 in Safty pay at 6.5M how could you in the same breath hate Byrd at 9M? It's a meealy 2.5M that OBD could find in their mattresses.

That 2.5m represent less than 1% of cap!!!

Bills as a Business are screwed and one of the best in the NFL

Bills as a football team are a laughingstock, a 2nd rate organization, run by a marketing/sales department focus on saving/making $$$

Bill Cody
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
The Pats offered Aquib Talib a contract but he got more from Denver. Guess the Pats are a joke too.

sukie
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Meh. I think Byrd will jhave no where near the success in NO as he had here. Best player on crappy team might not translate to best player on really good team.

justasportsfan
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
The bills will have to sign Dareus next year. I hope they use the money they saved from not signing Byrd towards Dareus. I would rather keep him over Byrd.

Mike
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
The Pats offered Aquib Talib a contract but he got more from Denver. Guess the Pats are a joke too.

Lol. When the Bills have and pay for a Top QB, TE, DE, LB, etc.... Win 3 SB & go to another 3 Straight Championship games that we too can have the 'we couldn't afford him' excuse.

The difference is that the Bills are the ONLY team not to make the playoffs this millanium

The ONLY team to have a 15 year playoff drought

And, get this, we're not trying to win. Nope, Bills FO consistently hires lame duck GMs & Coaches and resign lame duck players.
All this = $$$$$$

Bills suck at winning but this franchise is really making it where it counts. Their a top 10 profit making machine in bottom 5 market!

tomz
03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Don't be silly.
Bills offer was clearly not as good as Saints offer. And the problem remains, this is a trend of letting their best players go and overpaying their average players ( Kelsey, A. Williams, etc)

If you like the A. Williams deal making him top 10 in Safty pay at 6.5M how could you in the same breath hate Byrd at 9M? It's a meealy 2.5M that OBD could find in their mattresses.

Bills as a football team are a laughingstock, a 2nd rate organization, run by a marketing/sales department focus on saving/making $$$

Mike: I think you need to check your math. 2.5 milion is more like 2% of the cap. To put it in perspective, if we spend to the cap it is the average amount we pay to a player! The relevant number is $9 million. That is 7% percent of the cap, 3.5 times the average player, for a guy who plays one of the marginal impact positions, even though he did it very well.

jdaltroy5
03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Where did they refuse to pay him ? They offered him big money, he "refused" to play for the Bills. Where they suppose to give him a percentage of the team ?He "refused" to sign with the Bills because they wanted to lowball him and not pay him what he feels he's worth.

After the **** he pulled last season, I wouldn't guarantee him anything. In a year or two the Saints will be kicking themselves for signing Bryd to this contract. If he does produce, you can bet that Parker will have him holding out for a new contract with 3 years left on this one. Good riddance.That's ridiculous. The guy played on a second round rookie contract for four years and never once made a peep about re-negotiating.

He finally waited for the day when he could get a big payday and the Bills jerked him around for over a year.

There's no proof or prior history that Byrd would ever want to re-negotiate an existing contract.

You're just trying to justify him leaving by saying that he's just a selfish jerk that doesn't want to be here.

gebobs
03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
He "refused" to sign with the Bills because they wanted to lowball him and not pay him what he feels he's worth.
From what I heard, and I can't vouch for how true it is, they made him an offer that would have put him at the top of the pay scale for the position.

He finally waited for the day when he could get a big payday and the Bills jerked him around for over a year.
Only in America is getting the franchise tag which guarantees the average of the top 5 salaries at the position, $7 million last year, considered "jerking around".

And to top it off, he completely abandons his team for the first 5 games of the season with a complete BS "injury" that wouldn't keep any dedicated player from the field. My wife has plantar fascitis and still runs. Do you have any idea what it takes for her to work it out so she can do 5 miles? Better sit down for this. It's ugly.

She wears orthotics. She stretches. It takes about 10 minutes. And by the time she's done a quarter mile, it's fine. And she's not getting paid a half million each time he runs. Amazing!

Eff Byrd. I hope he tanks. He'll fit in well with the rest of the arseholes in New Orleans.

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
The bills will have to sign Dareus next year. I hope they use the money they saved from not signing Byrd towards Dareus. I would rather keep him over Byrd.
This argument is lazy. There's no reason you can't sign both. We have only approached the cap once in recent years and that required making Mario the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

On top of that, the front office does some shady **** to make our cap look tighter than it is - namely rolling Fitz' deadcap over two seasons instead of killing it all last season when we still had $20 million in unused cap space.

Your argument sucks.

justasportsfan
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
This argument is lazy. There's no reason you can't sign both. We have only approached the cap once in recent years and that required making Mario the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

On top of that, the front office does some shady **** to make our cap look tighter than it is - namely rolling Fitz' deadcap over two seasons instead of killing it all last season when we still had $20 million in unused cap space.

Your argument sucks.

In case you missed it, I was all for paying Byrd. I am simply stating if the bills weren't willing to pay Byrd what the saints paid him is that they at least use it towards paying Dareus. Your comprehension sucks.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
In case you missed it, I was all for paying Byrd. I am simply stating if the bills weren't willing to pay Byrd what the saints paid him is that they at least use it towards paying Dareus. Your comprehension sucks.

But they paid all but 2.5M of it to Williams already.

Lets be honest here, if you pay Byrd 9M you don't pay Williams 6.5M because you simply no longer require Williams and obviously vice versa.

So that saved money from Byrd you want for Dareus is already accounted for.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Bills suck at winning but this franchise is really making it where it counts. Their a top 10 profit making machine in bottom 5 market!

AND that is what it is all about and has always been about with Ralph. Now they will just maximize profits until the estate sells the team for the maximum profit.

Those who think the estate will sell the team for less money to an owner who will not relocate the team are in denial.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM

Your argument sucks.

Yup.

justasportsfan
03-12-2014, 12:00 PM
But they paid all but 2.5M of it to Williams already.

Lets be honest here, if you pay Byrd 9M you don't pay Williams 6.5M because you simply no longer require Williams and obviously vice versa.

So that saved money from Byrd you want for Dareus is already accounted for.
they could still that 2.5 towards Dareus.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
they could still that 2.5 towards Dareus.

That 2.5M is tucked under Ralphies mattress.

Bill Cody
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Lol. When the Bills have and pay for a Top QB, TE, DE, LB, etc.... Win 3 SB & go to another 3 Straight Championship games that we too can have the 'we couldn't afford him' excuse.

The difference is that the Bills are the ONLY team not to make the playoffs this millanium

The ONLY team to have a 15 year playoff drought

And, get this, we're not trying to win. Nope, Bills FO consistently hires lame duck GMs & Coaches and resign lame duck players.
All this = $$$$$$

lol

You can choose to take this decision and make it into some kind of thesis about the past 15 years, that's fine and you have lots of company. I prefer to look at it for what it is, a football decision about the worth of one particular player. The Patriots didn't have all the success they have by going all Chicken Little over a player leaving for more money. It happens to them too. You don't build a winning team by paying max contracts to guys that don't like it here. It won't ever work. This gnashing of teeth is really pretty funny. Even a senile meddling owner like Ralph could have won if he had Brady and Bellichick on his side. And I don't blame the Saints, they have a window to win with a HOF QB and a top 5 head coach, if we had that I might feel differently about losing Byrd. But probably not.

jdaltroy5
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
From what I heard, and I can't vouch for how true it is, they made him an offer that would have put him at the top of the pay scale for the position.Tim Graham reported that the average annual salary was 7.5 mil. Realistically, if both accounts are true, it means he was probably going to get 10 mil a year for the first 3 years, then 5 mil a year for the last 3 years. His guaranteed money still hasn't been reported, which leads me to believe it was probably low.

Only in America is getting the franchise tag which guarantees the average of the top 5 salaries at the position, $7 million last year, considered "jerking around". Yeah it is jerking him around. The guy wanted, and deserved a lot more money and a lot of guaranteed money. The Bills lowballed him and then essentially signed him to a one year deal against his will.

And to top it off, he completely abandons his team for the first 5 games of the season with a complete BS "injury" that wouldn't keep any dedicated player from the field. My wife has plantar fascitis and still runs. Do you have any idea what it takes for her to work it out so she can do 5 miles? Better sit down for this. It's ugly.

She wears orthotics. She stretches. It takes about 10 minutes. And by the time she's done a quarter mile, it's fine. And she's not getting paid a half million each time he runs. Amazing!

Eff Byrd. I hope he tanks. He'll fit in well with the rest of the arseholes in New Orleans.I have no idea how bad it was and neither do you. If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably milking it, but who knows?

I didn't like the way he "milked" the injury, but that didn't take away from how good a player he is. If the Bills would've just paid him from the get-go, it could've been a seamless transition.

Byrd isn't blameless, but neither are the Bills.

kishoph
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
He "refused" to sign with the Bills because they wanted to lowball him and not pay him what he feels he's worth.

So the team should of paid him what he felt he was worth instead of what they thought he was worth ? Where the Bills to continue letting Bryd and Parker hold them hostage with his demands.

IMO he's been barely above average since his rookie year when he was allowed to roam free and pick off over throws.

jdaltroy5
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
So the team should of paid him what he felt he was worth instead of what they thought he was worth ? Where the Bills to continue letting Bryd and Parker hold them hostage with his demands.
In this instance, yes the Bills should have paid him what he felt he was worth. What he felt he was worth was fair market value for a player of his calibre and a well run organization jumped at the chance to do so.

IMO he's been barely above average since his rookie year when he was allowed to roam free and pick off over throws.:rofl:

Bills fans are probably the only people in the league that think he's "average" or "non-elite."

It's funny how that always happens AFTER a contract dispute.

His 2009 season wasn't even nearly his best. PFF ranks his 2011 and 2012 seasons as two of the best seasons from any free safety in the last five years. They gave him a score of 20 for his pass coverage skills in 2012. No other player even cracked 16.

Just look at last season. He allowed a 50% completion percentage and a 35 QBR when thrown in his direction.

If he was only "slightly above average" a quality organization would not have made him the highest paid safety in the league.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Those stupid Saints. So many of the astute football talent evaluators on here know for dead certain that Byrd is not worth the money.

How many playoff appearances and Super Bowl wins do those idiotic Saints have over the last 14 years, while we have been burning up the league?

Those Byrd-type signings will just kill you.

Novacane
03-12-2014, 03:59 PM
They have a HOF QB. We don't. That's why they have been good. Guys like Byrd don't mean squat without the QB.

gebobs
03-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Byrd isn't blameless, but neither are the Bills.
Believe me, I am not whitewashing the Bills here. They are the bumbling drunk uncle of the NFL. And this just makes them look worse. Deservedly so.

But I don't think Byrd is as good as you think he is. I don't think he's worth $10M per, $28M guaranteed. He's had injuries and more importantly you have to question his heart.

gebobs
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Those stupid Saints. So many of the astute football talent evaluators on here know for dead certain that Byrd is not worth the money.

How many playoff appearances and Super Bowl wins do those idiotic Saints have over the last 14 years, while we have been burning up the league?
Well that's the thing. The Saints have figured out that quarterback is the most valuable position on the team.

The Bills have twice Brees's cap tied up with Mario. Can you appreciate that? We could have Brees and his twin to back him up in place of Mario. :-)

Most disturbing is that when you tot them up, the Bills and the saints have comparable cap.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2014, 05:54 PM
They have a HOF QB. We don't. That's why they have been good. Guys like Byrd don't mean squat without the QB.
I understand the value of a great QB. I also understand putting good players around him, and maintaining some continuity. I understand, too, the importance of a great coach.

I've just been commenting today on one of our many problems, i.e.,letting players like Levitre and Byrd walk, and replacing them with garbage.

Mr. Cynical
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Good riddance.

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
The excuse that a player doesn't want to play in Buffalo because of the weather or the lack of glamour is ridiculous.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincy, Minnesota, and some others are very similar towns (some are worse actually) and most don't have any issue retaining their talent.

It is 100% the team and their tactics that turn players off.Uh Huh. And you know this because you were or are a player?

I said weather was one of the reasons, but you're too stupid to pick that up.

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Bills fans are probably the only people in the league that think he's "average" or "non-elite....and idiots like you think he's the best FS in the league and should be paid as such.

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 07:29 PM
I understand the value of a great QB. I also understand putting good players around him, and maintaining some continuity. I understand, too, the importance of a great coach.

I've just been commenting today on one of our many problems, i.e.,letting players like Levitre and Byrd walk, and replacing them with garbage.aybe you can suit up or just walk up to Legursky or Searcy and tell them they're "garbage".

gebobs
03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Bills fans are probably the only people in the league that think he's "average" or "non-elite."
Right. Fans underestimating their players. That ever happens.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Right. Fans underestimating their players. That ever happens.

That only happens when the player wants to be gone or isn't here anymore.

London Fletcher was awesome then he turned into a bum when once it was known he was leaving.
Willis McGahee was a stud then he said Buffalo was boring, which means he needed to be run out of town.
Travis Henry was good, then he left and became the brunt of having 3209748 kids jokes.
Drew Bledsoe made football entertaining around here for a few years then he was washed up and over-rated.

etc etc etc

Beebe's Kid
03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
At least all the butt-hurt, "I WANT HIM GONE NOW!!" fans are placated. Now, just kick Kiko outside, work on EJ's footwork, and it wall come into place.

Beebe's Kid
03-13-2014, 05:37 PM
I haven't been on in a while, so I don't know if I am missing any of the new autofixes for the Bills. Are there any new ones that I should be aware of? There has to be some third rate FA out there that everybody is clamoring over...

Beebe's Kid
03-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Oh ****...I forgot the classic "he didn't want to be in Buffalo" schtick.

He didn't care who paid him, but at least now you can feel good about who gets overpaid to take his place. Because the big check will prove how they want to be here, and how they bleed red, white, and blue...just like you do.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Don't be silly.

Who taught you caponomics? John Butler?

YardRat
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
The excuse that a player doesn't want to play in Buffalo because of the weather or the lack of glamour is ridiculous.

It is 100% the team and their tactics that turn players off.

Oh please. Do we really have to go through the list of talent those teams have lost, or are you willing to cut to the chase and just admit you are full of ****?

swiper
03-15-2014, 04:46 AM
That being said, Byrd was not worth that contract. This is much like the Levitre departure. These were good, not great players, who the blue collar, lunch-bucket fan base really liked that used their one window to cash in and go. I hate Ralph Wilson more than most. He IS cheap. And Brandon is his personal parrot, but I am not heart-broken that the Bills didn't give Byrd all that guaranteed money. His level of play does not rise to that level.

Letting him go is justifiable if the money is used to get other players. And, as has been pointed out, the Bills have money to spend. But the Bills aren't on the very bottom of the list of money under the cap. But go get Spikes, and I will get over losing Byrd. And part of me is laughing at the Saints for guaranteeing Byrd, who proved to me that he's all about himself, all that cash. Check back on this deal in 5 years or so.

Feeling better already.