PDA

View Full Version : Chris Williams signed...

X-Era
03-12-2014, 07:46 AM
https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/443733446377373696

Former 1st rounder out of Vandy. Had a lot of upside. Plays mostly at G but can play at OT as well.

ESPN Free Agent Tracker gives him a B:

"He has size and punch and is good in the run game. In the passing game, he is a little bit of a waist-bender and has struggled to adjust but nevertheless is a quality starter."

DBrown77
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Hmm rotoworld is not as fond of him

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4722/chris-williams

Free agent G/T Chris Williams is visiting the Bills Wednesday.
Williams started every game at left guard for the Rams last season, turning in a shaky performance at best. He'd still be a nice get for a team as a versatile backup. The o-line needy Rams reportedly remain interested as well. Mar 12 - 9:04 AM

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the Texans are interested in free agent G/T Chris Williams.
Williams started all 16 games at left guard for the Rams last season, but was overmatched both as a pass protector and run blocker. The former No. 14 overall pick of the Bears shouldn't be looked at as a starter, though the Rams appear to still see him that way and remain interested in re-signing Williams.

TedMock
03-12-2014, 08:43 AM
He has been at OG since 2010 and has been inconsistent at best. What's interesting is his 2nd year (2009) he played mostly RT and played pretty well. They moved him to LT near the end of the year and he played decent there. He was slated to be the starting LT in 2010, got hurt, came back and was told he's been moved to LG. He's been there every since. I wonder if the thought is to see if he can still run the RT spot, or even get him into a competition for the swing spot at both positions. He's been starting, so the latter is less likely.

cookie G
03-12-2014, 08:45 AM
meh, one of those guys that hangs around because he was once a 1st round pick. Didn't make it as a LT, then didn't make it as a RT, finally lost his job as a reserve swing tackle to Jonathan Scott. The Rams let him play G last year.

Sounds about what they are looking for.

kingJofNYC
03-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Garbage player. No clue why we're looking at this scrub...on the other hand, look at our opening day LG....lololol

Uncle Jesse
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
He is the Rams version of Legursky.

The Jokeman
03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
meh, one of those guys that hangs around because he was once a 1st round pick. Didn't make it as a LT, then didn't make it as a RT, finally lost his job as a reserve swing tackle to Jonathan Scott. The Rams let him play G last year.

Fair assessment. I'd venture to say he'd be better than Colin Brown and debatable if he's better than Legursky. I'd prefer him as a depth guy but in today's NFL he's a grade C starter which is just what you said "Meh".

DesertFox24
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Well he just signed a 4 year 13.5 million deal with us.

I have no problem with this at all.

Marrone is a good OL guy and it is not such a huge deal that we cannot cut him after next year if he sucks, if anything though he is solid depth at guard and can play tackle if he HAS to.

This is the new Bills folks and to be honest I like it.

I just hope Dareus, Gilmore, Kiko, and Glenn get extended and paid.

9 million a year and 8 million to a guard which by most are not considered key positions would have prevented keeping these 4 which are key positions.

- - - Updated - - -

However, they expect him to start with that deal though.

The Jokeman
03-12-2014, 09:31 AM
He is the Rams version of Legursky.

I disagree as Legursky was a spot starter for the Steelers/Bills. I think he might be more of a Erik Pears type guy. As he's better then the rest to start but he's not a great player and in a perfect world be a better depth guy.

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
He can't be worse than Legursky. Right?

CoolBreeze
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM
OL Chris Williams signs with Bills.... http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

CoolBreeze
03-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Bills signed him. 4yrs 13.5 million

GingerP
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Pro Football Focus rates him 74th out of 81 qualifying guards. So... there's that.

coastal
03-12-2014, 09:40 AM
:rofl:

jpdex12
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Link?

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Schefter tweeted it.

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Pro Football Focus rates him 74th out of 81 qualifying guards. So... there's that.

I can only assume that Colin Brown and Legursky were two of the guys below him

Bangarang
03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Terrible...

X-Era
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
4 years, 13 mill, 5.5 guaranteed.

3.25 mill per. I'll take it.

DesertFox24
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
PFF did rate Branch, Lawson, and Hughes low as well.

Thing you have to consider is PFF is looking at game film but has no way of knowing the play call or responsibilities on a play they just make a guess on who messed up.

That being said grading OL and DL is extermely hard to do.

This guy is not a world beater but he has size and LT athletic ability so he can pull, hopefully Marrone can coach him up and he is productive. Additionally playing next to Wood and Glenn which is better than what St Louis has might actually help him.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Well, at least he is not 81 out of 81.

I'm just happy there is NFL football still in Buffalo. Just enjoy it for entertainment. Winning isn't everything.

sukie
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Great... Another "Waist Bender" and another freaking Williams... The answer to the second most annoying question (behind "what does B_I_L_L stand for?") "What's a Bill?" is now answered. Williams.

better days
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I disagree as Legursky was a spot starter for the Steelers/Bills. I think he might be more of a Erik Pears type guy. As he's better then the rest to start but he's not a great player and in a perfect world be a better depth guy.

Williams started for the Bears & Rams, just not very well according to reports.

Still if he is depth it is a good signing. He has to be better than Brown.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
To me I see an experienced guy to be at least a backup and can compete with Legursky for the backup position.

This does nothing to prevent us from drafting the guy we want to be our long term starter.

If the rook can't beat out Williams or Legursky so be it. If he does, we have experienced depth.

And at the price we paid I'm good with it.

Between Carpenter ~2.5 per and Williams 3.25 per we still haven't even spent Byrd's money yet.... at 9.

Quality depth is critical when you have so many injuries.

I think many of you wanted a day one starter and stud G to be signed. The writing has been on the wall that we don't sign those guys.

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM

I think you're missing the upside here. HIS LAST NAME IS WILLIAMS!!! That's AWESOME!

Bangarang
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM
This guy deserved no guaranteed money. He's no better than Brown and Legursky.

OBD won't overpay to keep or bring in good players but will overpay to bring in scrubs. Brilliant.

kingJofNYC
03-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Garbage, Chad Rinehart is a better player and we gave him up for nothing, made less money too.

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Average player, but he can play multiple positions. I'm not against the signing, but they did overpay.

better days
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Garbage, Chad Rinehart is a better player and we gave him up for nothing, made less money too.

We didn't give Rinehart up, he was a FA like Byrd.

He chose to go to S.D., best weather in the Country.

Resigned with the Chargers for just over $3 Mill/ year.

DesertFox24
To me I see an experienced guy to be at least a backup and can compete with Legursky for the backup position.

This does nothing to prevent us from drafting the guy we want to be our long term starter.

If the rook can't beat out Williams or Legursky so be it. If he does, we have experienced depth.

And at the price we paid I'm good with it.

Between Carpenter ~2.5 per and Williams 3.25 per we still haven't even spent Byrd's money yet.... at 9.

Quality depth is critical when you have so many injuries.

I think many of you wanted a day one starter and stud G to be signed. The writing has been on the wall that we don't sign those guys.

I like our new approach as long as we can keep our guys at key positions. Again I personally do not consider guard and safety a key position.

EDS
Whaley is a genius!

X-Era
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Polian gave only 4 guys a better grade than Williams out of all the OT, G, and C combined.

Williams was one of 5 guys he graded a B. He gave Branden Albert and Chad Rhineheart a B as well.

Personally I don't think he's a stud but he has upside and maybe Marrone can develop him into something more than he currently is.

It'll be interesting to hear Whaley and Marrone on this one. I want to hear what they see in him.

cookie G
03-12-2014, 10:08 AM
I think you're missing the upside here. HIS LAST NAME IS WILLIAMS!!! That's AWESOME!

We're overstocked on Williams jersey nameplates..we have to get rid of them somehow. I expect Billy Dee Williams to be brought in as a RB. He played Gale Sayers once!!.

And YOU are missing the upside...

He played tackle once...badly.. so now we don't have to draft one..."He was a former no. 1 pick!!"..

And..he played guard last year, so we don't have to draft one of those either. "Well we really want to give this guy a good look at LG. I mean, we paid 2 million more than his FMV."

A clever move by the Littman/Overdorf/Brandon Triumvirate.

Meathead
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
keepin up with the williams

white williams
small black williams starter
small black williams backup
large black super rich williams
large black modestly rich williams
who cares deep scrub williams

need more williamses. williamsi?

kingJofNYC
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM

He made less than 3m last season, one year deal last season.

Considering the depth we had, I don't even think we offered Chad a thing. Went to play for coach D because he's the best in the biz, another guy we let go, lol.

sukie
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I am having second thoughts about Gregg Williams coaching. Does Pat have anything left in the tank? I heard of a recent name change... Peerless Williams. Do it!

- - - Updated - - -

I am having second thoughts about Gregg Williams coaching. Does Pat have anything left in the tank? I heard of a recent name change... Peerless Williams. Do it!

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Polian and his grades make me scratch my head sometimes. Williams is a depth guy on most teams, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with depth guys.
Polian gave only 4 guys a better grade than Williams out of all the OT, G, and C combined.

Williams was one of 5 guys he graded a B. He gave Branden Albert and Chad Rhineheart a B as well.

Personally I don't think he's a stud but he has upside and maybe Marrone can develop him into something more than he currently is.

It'll be interesting to hear Whaley and Marrone on this one. I want to hear what they see in him.

ServoBillieves
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
We're complaining about getting a player that was at a position in need. I know this board is full of extremes (WE PAID TOO MUCH! WE DIDN'T GET "A" or "B". HE'S NOT EVEN STARTER MATERIAL! I SAW HIS ASSESSMENT ON X WEBSITE AND EVEN THOUGH I'VE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY THEY SAID HE SUCKS!) but come on, be happy it's not Colin ****ing Brown as the answer at LG. Hairston-Urbik-Wood-Williams-Glenn is fine by me.

ServoBillieves
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Polian and his grades make me scratch my head sometimes. Williams is a depth guy on most teams, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with depth guys.

Hughes is a depth guy. Lawson was supposed to be a depth guy. Robey is a depth guy. I can go on and on. Depth can give you quality play.

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Polian gives this scrub and Jarius Byrd the same grade (albeit at different positions)

That is whacky

better days
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Great... Another "Waist Bender" and another freaking Williams... The answer to the second most annoying question (behind "what does B_I_L_L stand for?") "What's a Bill?" is now answered. Williams.

Hopefully Marrone can Coach him up.

better days
03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Williams started at LG last year for the Rams.

The Rams gave up 36 sacks last year.

4th fewest in the NFC & 8th fewest in the entire NFL.

He is expected to compete for the starting LG spot in Buffalo.

Maybe he is not as bad as people have been saying.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Is this the same Chris Williams that was a bust 1st rounder in Chicago?

X-Era
03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Same one.

I'm hoping he'll be the same sort of bust as Lawson or Branch.

Night Train
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM

at tackle

kicked inside and has been good at OG. He'll start.

sukie
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Oline guy bustola named Williams... He'll fit right in Buffalo Lore.

stuckincincy
03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=ServoBillieves;3922516]Hughes is a depth guy. Lawson was supposed to be a depth guy. Robey is a depth guy. I can go on and on. Depth can give you quality play.[/QUOTE

It's like an exploding depth charge! :blowup:

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Williams started at LG last year for the Rams.

The Rams gave up 36 sacks last year.

4th fewest in the NFC & 8th fewest in the entire NFL.

He is expected to compete for the starting LG spot in Buffalo.

Maybe he is not as bad as people have been saying.

PFF -21.8 overall grade on 923 snaps. He let up 5 sacks, 8 hurries, and 28 pressures.

sukie
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Are there many Williams available in the upcoming draft?

coastal
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
One more time...

:rofl:

X-Era
03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/03/12/marrone-key-in-williams-decision-to-sign/

justasportsfan
03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Signing another WIlliams is a sign the stadium will be built in Williamsville, NY

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Are there many Williams available in the upcoming draft?
Mid round RB. Good powerful inside runner, short distance kind of guy.

He's a good fit for a 3rd RB.

EDS
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Signing another WIlliams is a sign the stadium will be built in Williamsville, NY

If you think about it, alot of men named William go by Bill. So perhaps someone in the front office just has an odd sense of humor.

cookie G
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM
PFF -21.8 overall grade on 923 snaps. He let up 5 sacks, 8 hurries, and 28 pressures.

Those are really pretty good numbers...for a defensive tackle.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
So, we overpay another scrubby, bargain basement player, this one because we didn't want to overpay a very good player in Levitre. I can't wait to see what we do to replace Byrd.

14 years with nary a sniff of the playoffs, and with our present philosophy of buying cheap junk rather than paying to keep our good players, I expect many more mediocre seasons.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 12:23 PM
It appears the Bills are being laughed at for paying this Williams almost $6M in guaranteed money.

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2014, 12:28 PM
So, we overpay another scrubby, bargain basement player, this one because we didn't want to overpay a very good player in Levitre. I can't wait to see what we do to replace Byrd.

14 years with nary a sniff of the playoffs, and with our present philosophy of buying cheap junk rather than paying to keep our good players, I expect many more mediocre seasons.

Right now a medicore season would be a great improvement

justasportsfan
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Although Whaley deserves the benefit of a doubt since they did well with Hughes , Lawson and Branch, I was hoping that they would bring in at least a solid player at LG. From what I'm reading on this guy, he's still project after all these years. The bills are once again trying to tell the football world they are smarter than everyone like they did with Colin Brown. Ughh! I hope they still draft OL.

jimmifli
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Those are really pretty good numbers...for a defensive tackle.
Assuming half his snaps are passing plays, that equals about 10% of his snaps resulting in a sack, hurry or pressure.

better days
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
It appears the Bills are being laughed at for paying this Williams almost $6M in guaranteed money.

By the same people that laughed at the Bills for signing McKelvin to a contract last year.

Looks like the joke is on those fools.

The Jokeman
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM

That or he liked playing under former Bills' Oline coach Joe D'Alessandris.

more cowbell
03-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Typical Bills. Complete garbage signing.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Zane Beadles is pretty far down on that list and he got big money.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-guards/

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Yay our normal guys we like to sign. The average at best fringe starters for 3-4 million a year. Obviously a couple of them are better then having Byrd or Levitre. We have one signed so we have the budget for one more of them. All average players welcomed in Buffalo. You can start and get paid in Buffalo.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
By the same people that laughed at the Bills for signing McKelvin to a contract last year.

Looks like the joke is on those fools.

Or the ones that laughed at the signing of Kolb among many other worthless signings the past 5 years?

Only better days can take players he has never heard of and call them good players just because Buffalo signed them.

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
I've followed Williams going back to his days at Vanderbilt, and don't think that he's a bad player. He's a borderline starter, that can play every position on the OL (except Center). I see nothing wrong with bringing in a guy like that. You have one injury along the front, and you're desperately looking for guys in FA to fill gaps, now you have one on the team just in case.
Or the ones that laughed at the signing of Kolb among many other worthless signings the past 5 years?

Only better days can take players he has never heard of and call them good players just because Buffalo signed them.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm glad Levitre was so easy to replace. This will only be the 3rd scrub we will be trying out to even get a reliable player to fill his spot.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-12-2014, 03:16 PM
So does this mean we can finally qualify for the Mineral Water Bowl?

better days
03-12-2014, 03:18 PM

Like WHO?

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
I feel dirty being the most positive person around here today.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
At least he fits the profile the Bills are looking for. He has the last name Williams. We needed our Williams on the offensive side of the ball.

TigerJ
03-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I think you're missing the upside here. HIS LAST NAME IS WILLIAMS!!! That's AWESOME! Moreover, his middle name begins with a "J" (Joseph). No team in the league an boast as many Williamses or __ J.s.

better days
03-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm glad Levitre was so easy to replace. This will only be the 3rd scrub we will be trying out to even get a reliable player to fill his spot.

Well, I said Levitre would not be easy to replace.

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Anyone with a brain knew he wouldn't be easy to replace, but when you're the farm league for the rest of the league, these things happen.
Well, I said Levitre would not be easy to replace.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Like WHO?

Just off the top of my head guys like Legursky, Brown, Pears and Mark Anderson. We only get one or two of them a season and none of them make a huge impact so they don't leave a lasting memory.

How many of these types of FA scrubs have worked out for Buffalo? That's what I thought. And don't say Alan Branch or Manny Lawson. They are average players themselves that wouldn't start on many teams. They just aren't total scrubs.

Everyone we draft or sign are such great players according to better days yet we always lose. You would think they would be putting us over the top by now.

better days
03-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Anyone with a brain knew he wouldn't be easy to replace, but when you're the farm league for the rest of the league, these things happen.

Well, then it looks like there are MANY scarecrows on this board.

People kept telling me Guards are EASILY replaced.

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, then it looks like there are MANY scarecrows on this board.

People kept telling me Guards are EASILY replaced.

That's one of the funniest things I've read all day.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Guards are so easy to replace we're on our 3rd one now since Levitre. I'm glad the stress of finding one was so little.

better days
03-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Just off the top of my head guys like Legursky, Brown, Pears and Mark Anderson. We only get one or two of them a season and none of them make a huge impact so they don't leave a lasting memory.

How many of these types of FA scrubs have worked out for Buffalo? That's what I thought. And don't say Alan Branch or Manny Lawson. They are average players themselves that wouldn't start on many teams.

Everyone we draft or sign are such great players according to better days yet we always lose. You would think they would be putting us over the top by now.

I NEVER said Legursky, Brown, Pears or Anderson were GOOD.

I did say Branch & Lawson were GOOD & they both played well last year. Well worth signing.

And here is a clue for you, Branch & Lawson did not start on the Bills either, but they both contributed.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Though Rams guard Chris Williams didn't play particularly well last season, despite starting all 16 games, that hasn't stopped him from cashing in on free agency.

The Bills (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF/buffalo-bills) and Williams reportedly have agreed to a four-year deal worth $13.5 million with $5.5 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.com's (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/443758937762824192) Adam Schefter.
Williams, who didn't make the top-17 on the CBSSports.com free agent list (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents/position), also reportedly drew interest from the Texans.
As expected, the news of the signing wasn't seen by some observers as an impressive move.

How does Chris Williams keep getting jobs in the NFL playing football?

— Sam Monson (@PFF_Sam) March 12, 2014 (https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/statuses/443760215293710336)

The Bills are always lining up to overpay crappy players instead of just keeping the good ones already there. We need to make sure we stick to our 15-20+ million under the salary cap goal each season.

He better work out after giving him almost 6 million in guaranteed money. If not then we just paid another scrub 6 million dollars to play a season or two.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Guards are so easy to replace we're on our 3rd one now since Levitre. I'm glad the stress of finding one was so little.
I don't think they're easily replaced but I also don't think they are important enough to justify 8.6 mill per.

Where the mistake happens is when we dont spend the money saved by not making that move on something that helps us elsewhere.

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 03:34 PM
I NEVER said Legursky, Brown, Pears or Anderson were GOOD.

I did say Branch & Lawson were GOOD & they both played well last year. Well worth signing.

And here is a clue for you, Branch & Lawson did not start on the Bills either, but they both contributed.

You asked what crappy signings we have had recently that people didn't agree with. That was short list off the top of my head.

I'm also willing to bet the day we signed Pears and Anderson you were probably on here saying what a great signing it was.

And if Lawson and Branch are your definition of GOOD players then you set the bar pretty low. They are decent players to have as a compliment on a good team. Not the guys getting most of the snaps for 3+ million a year. And if they aren't starting material then that says it all there and yet we would be paying 3+ million a year for it.

stuckincincy
03-12-2014, 03:39 PM
WTF - they knew they had a situation at the guard spot, so they took a shot. This chap may work out, may not. That's the way it goes.

Jeeze - no need to criticize them down to the atomic level... :wtf:

X-Era
You asked what crappy signings we have had recently that people didn't agree with. That was short list off the top of my head.

I'm also willing to bet the day we signed Pears and Anderson you were probably on here saying what a great signing it was.
Just out of curiousity...

Why is Legursky or Brown a crappy signing? How much did we pay them vs. how much did we get out of them. Cheap guys who can be backups with experience. It's better than backups who have never played a down.

I'm missing why real games should be a tryout for guys that theoretically are questionable even be worthy of a roster spot.

Pears and Anderson is a better argument.

Jan Reimers
Hopefully Marrone can Coach him up.

Polishing a turd, or pouring perfume on a pig, are more likely.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
WTF - they knew they had a situation at the guard spot, so they took a shot. This chap may work out, may not. That's the way it goes.

Jeeze - no need to criticize them down to the atomic level... :wtf:
After 14 years of complete and utter futility, it's pretty hard to continually watch the same crap and have much respect for their personnel moves.

better days
03-12-2014, 03:51 PM

And if Lawson and Branch are your definition of GOOD players then you set the bar pretty low. They are decent players to have as a compliment on a good team. Not the guys getting most of the snaps for 3+ million a year. And if they aren't starting material then that says it all there and yet we would be paying 3+ million a year for it.

NO, I asked you to tell me WHO I said the Bills signed was GOOD that was garbage.

And Branch & Lawson were not signed to be starters & were not overpaid to sign.

They are both good players to have on a team at the price they were paid.

NO team has starters sitting on the bench.

better days
03-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Why is Legursky or Brown a crappy signing? How much did we pay them vs. how much did we get out of them. Cheap guys who can be backups with experience. It's better than backups who have never played a down.

I'm missing why real games should be a tryout for guys that theoretically are questionable even be worthy of a roster spot.

You can add Brown to that mix, but you are making the same point I did.

And to say someone is a good signing does not mean he is a GOOD player that is a future Pro Bowl starter.

EDS
03-12-2014, 03:56 PM

Legursky and Brown are poor starting options. Unfortunately, with the Bills, they were the only options. As such, it was a remarkably poor decision to go into the season expecting that either could start.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
NO, I asked you to tell me WHO I said the Bills signed was GOOD that was garbage.

Leodis McKelvin.

Then again, you think everyone the Bills sign is good until they no longer wear the colors.

sudzy
03-12-2014, 04:02 PM
After 14 years of complete and utter futility, it's pretty hard to continually watch the same crap and have much respect for their personnel moves.

Yeah, but, this QB of the future is different then the other QBs of the future. We should just chalk up his inaccuracy and poor decisions to inexperience. We are just a RT away. I know we're watching the draft choices that pan out walk after their 1st contract, but at least we're not over paying for them. Forget that the Bills never spend anywhere near the cap. And Marrone had a tough year, but, he'll coach these guys up. Just wait, guys, "we'll get them next year."

BillsFever21
03-12-2014, 04:05 PM

If you want to call that production that we got out of Brown and Legursky then be my guest. They didn't cost much but it's the fact they signed them and they were our starters. They were so bad it wouldn't matter if they played for free. These weren't guys sitting on the bench. Between the two of them we got 16 horrible games out of them. Especially with Brown.

DesertFox24
03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
That's one of the funniest things I've read all day.

It is easier to find a good guard than a good OT.

The point is LT, Center, RT are the three positions on the OL that you pay in todays NFL. The guard spots you set a max value for and stand by that, and you draft guys or find guys that fit a type you want and cross your fingers.

It is what it is guys we cannot have top 10 players at each position on the team anymore. The teams have to place a value on each position and then depth.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
You can add Brown to that mix, but you are making the same point I did.

And to say someone is a good signing does not mean he is a GOOD player that is a future Pro Bowl starter.
Too many people are too black and white. If we sign someone it has to be a stud or we wasted our money. Yet we undervalue quality, experienced depth. These signings make the team stronger as long as we don't force them into starting roles due to no better option.

Sign guys like this. Follow it up with strong prospects to be your future. And then keep your own.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Too many people are too black and white. If we sign someone it has to be a stud or we wasted our money. Yet we undervalue quality, experienced depth. These signings make the team stronger as long as we don't force them into starting roles due to no better option.

Sign guys like this. Follow it up with strong prospects to be your future. And then keep your own.

This signing isn't a depth signing. This guy is signed to start. There's nothing wrong with depth signings, regardless of who it is pretty much.

YardRat
03-12-2014, 04:09 PM
His middle name is Joseph...how perfect is that?

CJ Williams.

I love this team!

X-Era
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
This signing isn't a depth signing. This guy is signed to start. There's nothing wrong with depth signings, regardless of who it is pretty much.The guy is signed to compete to start. I'll believe that he is inked in as a starter if they do nothing at G in the draft. We don't know that yet.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 04:13 PM
The guy is signed to compete to start. I'll believe that he is inked in as a starter if they do nothing at G in the draft. We don't know that yet.

They wouldn't have paid him 3.5 per nor signed him on Day 2 if it wasn't to start.

This guy is the next attempt at replacing Levitre.

Should have just kept Rinehart.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 04:15 PM
They wouldn't have paid him 3.5 per nor signed him on Day 2 if it wasn't to start.

This guy is the next attempt at replacing Levitre.

Should have just kept Rinehart.How do you know that? How do you know that they don't simply want him to battle for the starting job?

Tatonka
03-12-2014, 04:51 PM
i agree with X.. if the bills dont do anything in the draft to address guard, then we will know.. until then, i will reserve judgement.

i was listening to afternoon blitz with miller on Sirius and he said that Williams was a very solid right tackle, but was not a fit at LT at all. maybe if we draft a good guard, this guy kicks out to RT?

better days
03-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Leodis McKelvin.

Then again, you think everyone the Bills sign is good until they no longer wear the colors.

Seriously? You think McKelvin played like garbage last year?

You OBVIOUSLY did not watch a single Bills game last year.

better days
03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
How do you know that? How do you know that they don't simply want him to battle for the starting job?

This is what I read. He will compete for the starting job.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Seriously? You think McKelvin played like garbage last year?

You OBVIOUSLY did not watch a single Bills game last year.

McKelvin was meh at corner and his return ability was horrendous, his return ability is the reason why I think he was kept around to begin with not his ability to play corner.

jimmifli
03-13-2014, 12:27 AM
McKelvin was meh at corner and his return ability was horrendous, his return ability is the reason why I think he was kept around to begin with not his ability to play corner.
He was the best corner on the team.

BuffaloRedleg
03-13-2014, 03:39 AM

You've been spot on recently but I thought McKelvin was pretty good. I was happy he turned things around... just not a very smart guy who took a while to learn the game at the pro level.

On returns? He should never touch the ball again. Yeesh.

kishoph
03-13-2014, 04:33 AM

21 passes defensed is a little more than meh.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:32 AM
I'm a fan of McMarbles.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

McKelvin was solid as a cb last year.

better days
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Well, you are wrong.

McKelvin was resigned to be the #2 CB.

Many people on the board did not like the signing at the time, but I said it was a good signing & it was.

McKelvin had a very good year & if you watched the games, you would have seen that.

Strongman
03-20-2014, 01:22 PM
This guy deserved no guaranteed money. He's no better than Brown and Legursky.

OBD won't overpay to keep or bring in good players but will overpay to bring in scrubs. Brilliant.

This signing is so bad for the amount of money that it almost makes you wonder if they are intentionally trying to create dead money to use against the cap in future years. They'll cut him after a year or two.

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 02:24 PM
21 passes defensed is a little more than meh.

That's a very high figure. Are PD stats like tackles, credited by the teams? SF had padded Willis' tackles, and there is no way CIN's Burfict garnered 171 total between solo and assists.