PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign LB Keith Rivers

Ed
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
According to James Walker of ESPN. 2 years, 5 million.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10597141/buffalo-bills-agree-cornerback-corey-graham

DesertFox24
03-12-2014, 05:19 PM
This is pure depth signing looking like 2 years 5 million.

Mike Rodak ‏<S>@</S>mikerodak <SMALL class=time>4 mins (http://www.billszone.com/mikerodak/status/443876820471926786) </SMALL>Per <S>@</S>JamesWalkerNFL (http://www.billszone.com/JamesWalkerNFL), the Bills have agreed to a 2-year, $5 million contract with LB Keith Rivers

Buffalo Thriller
03-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Championship!!!

coastal
03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Moats replacemtn

Night Train
03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
He can play.

gonzo1105
03-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Pretty apparent that the Bills goal this offseason was to add quality backup depth and to add guys who could play ST's.

Ed
03-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Pretty apparent that the Bills goal this offseason was to add quality backup depth and to add guys who could play ST's.
I don't mind some quality depth. It at least gives us more flexibility in the draft.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Moats replacemtnI agree. I like it due to the low cost, adding to the ST's, and the fact that he's a true LB instead of a converted DE.

Buffalogic
03-12-2014, 05:30 PM
All about it. Good, low cost gamble.

Ed
03-12-2014, 05:31 PM
So what's Rivers story? I see he was a top 10 pick in 2008, but obviously didn't live up to expectations. What were his issues?

X-Era
03-12-2014, 05:32 PM
We're now at 5.5- 7.5 mill in cap room if we save 6 mill for rookies.

That's my guess.

Still enough for Spikes or Oher but probably not both without another move.

The last buffalo fan
03-12-2014, 05:35 PM
<thead id="yui_3_10_3_5_1394664753160_316">
Career Stats more (http://www.nfl.com/players/keithrivers/careerstats?id=RIV576418)

Season
Team

Tackles
Interceptions
Fumbles

G
GS
Comb
Total
Ast
Sck
SFTY
PDef
Int
Yds
Avg
Lng
TDs
FF

</thead><tbody>
New York Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)
--
--
--
--
--

New York Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)
--
--
--
--
--

Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN)
--
--
--
--
--

Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN)
--

--

TOTAL
--

</tbody>

http://www.nfl.com/player/keithrivers/302/profile

Are we taking about this guy?

X-Era
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Polian gives him a C:

A veteran OLB with speed, instincts and short-area burst to the ball, Rivers is decent as a cover linebacker, but strength and consistent punch are lacking.

PFF has him down in the 20's but above Daryl Smith and Vilma:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-linebackers/

Ed
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM

That's my guess.

If they did sign Oher it would make sense to release Pears.

gonzo1105
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM

That's my guess.

Yea but who knows the way the contracts are structured. Just because it averages 2.5 million a season doesnt mean that they are paying 2.5 million this year. If that was the case, how did the Saints with their cap situation manage to sign Byrd for 9 a year. I would suspect its a low first year with a bigger 2nd year. Just my opinion.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
If they did sign Oher it would make sense to release Pears.On the surface. But if you're a fan of depth like I am I'd keep Pears and force Hairston to beat him out for the backup spot.

more cowbell
He ranked 11th among OLBs against the run last season according to PFF. My guess is he is going to start or compete to start and Kiko is staying in the middle.

X-Era
Graham is saying half is guaranteed.

Buffalogic
03-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I think it was Hines Ward who clobbered Rivers in his rookie season and busted his jaw so badly that they put him on IR. His career hasn't gone the way anyone had predicted, but I don't think the book is closed on this guy.

gonzo1105
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Graham is saying half is guaranteed.

That means that if half is guaranteed that means that 2.5 only costs against the salary cap. That means your lookin at more of the cost of 1.25 a year for him after giving him the bonus

Jaybird
03-12-2014, 05:58 PM
average at best_ he should not be a starter on this team

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Bradham is officially on notice.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Bradham is officially on notice.Good. He was silent last year.

YardRat
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Where the hell is Spikes?

X-Era
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
No word from his camp. Nothing. Weird.

Buddo
03-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Have to say I like this move.

In fact, all of the moves today, have been good in the sense that they are addressing areas of concern.

Williams seems very much a 'boom or bust' type of signing, tbh. I do like his enthusiasm however, and I'd guess he won't fail through a lack of effort, and he does have talent, so it's very much a 'wait and see' approach with him. You have to think he will be an upgrade to the LG spot regardless, even if he isn't stellar.

The Graham signing was a good one, imho. We definitely needed some depth outside, behind Leodis and Gilmore, while Brooks can play there, realistically, he's simply too short to be that effective. Same with Robey. They can keep fighting for the nickel spot, and I have no problem with either of them in there, although it is Robey's job to lose. Graham could easily also challenge for the nickel, but to me, his value is outside, keeping McKelvin and Gilmore on their toes, and being able to step in for either, if one gets crocked at some point, without too much fall off.

Rivers has plenty of ability, and I think this could also be a very sharp signing. He's had some oddball injuries, not least the busted jaw, courtesy of Ward, and I think that affected him early on in his career. He's been fairly solid since, without ever actually looking to be the player that was drafted in the early part of the 1st round. This could be the opportunity for him to start to actually shine. While as I've said, he's been reasonably solid as a player, this is an instance, to me, of there being still a decent amount of untapped potential that could make this a great signing. Even at the least, he's definitely an upgrade of our depth at LB.

Buffalogic
03-12-2014, 06:08 PM
No word from his camp. Nothing. Weird.Literally nothing. From anywhere. Has to be something between the lines.

DraftBoy
03-12-2014, 06:10 PM
This is probably our best signing thus far.

gonzo1105
03-12-2014, 06:18 PM
This is probably our best signing thus far.

I would rank them Graham, Rivers, Williams. I love Graham and the money is not bad at all. I think he will be one of the best # 3 DB's in the league. Williams is eh. I'm not exactly sold he'll be the starter though. I dont believe that 3.5 million a season is too much for a backup especially if he can play LG, RG, or RT in a pinch. Is it too much money? Yes, but I can see them still drafting a guard fairly high.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2014, 06:21 PM
So, we're using the savings on not signing Byrd to accumulate a series of depth guys, plus a starting guard who was the lowest rated player on his team. We get lots of mediocrity in return for a Pro Bowler.

That's how you miss those inconvenient playoff games for 14 years and let your players get on quickly with their off season plans.

The Jokeman
03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Rivers played under Marvin Lewis in Cincy and Schwartz is a Marvin disciple so it makes sense. With the contract he got am expecting him to be at least in contention to start at WLB or backup Kiko if he gets shifted because we draft Mosely. Yet I'd really like to find a veteran TE as don't like going into the draft with Tony Moeaki, Lee Smith and Chris Gragg on the roster.

The Jokeman
03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
So, we're using the savings on not signing Byrd to accumulate a series of depth guys, plus a starting guard who was the lowest rated player on his team. We get lots of mediocrity in return for a Pro Bowler.

That's how you miss those inconvenient playoff games for 14 years and let your players get on quickly with their off season plans.
Shhhh don't spoil the party. I mean look at the Patriots they lost Talib and they're replacing him with Revis.

GvilleBills
03-12-2014, 07:11 PM
He never lived up to the hype, but I remember liking him out of USC. His floor is nice depth, which is sorely needed at LB. He has upside. Now, let's get Spikes signed.

pmoon6
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM

That's how you miss those inconvenient playoff games for 14 years and let your players get on quickly with their off season plans.Boo Hoo. Byrd's gone, live with it. He isn't worth the money he got paid.

Bert102176
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Every year we sign garbage and people wonder why we never make the playoffs

YardRat
03-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I really like the Graham signing. Williams is a lateral move at worst (which isn't good) but anything above that is a plus. Rivers takes Moats spot on the roster...I would consider that an upgrade. Would still like to see another olineman, and especially Spikes for MLB, signed.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
I really like the Graham signing. Williams is a lateral move at worst (which isn't good) but anything above that is a plus. Rivers takes Moats spot on the roster...I would consider that an upgrade. Would still like to see another olineman, and especially Spikes for MLB, signed.
A nice level headed assessment... Refreshing.

The black and white crowd is running rampant.

On another note, I've been clamoring for quality depth for years and it appears I'm getting my wish.

We may reap the rewards considering the rash of injuries we seem to face each year.

And the best part is this all helps take pressure off the draft. Since no RT has been signed yet I think OT at 9 may be very much in play. But early in the draft you could see TE, WR, G, and ILB addressed. Then in mid-rounds RB, S.

If we score in the draft we could surprise next year IMO.

It all comes down to how EJ develops.

Mace
03-12-2014, 08:42 PM

At home playing TitanFall.

Mace
03-12-2014, 08:50 PM

On another note, I've been clamoring for quality depth for years and it appears I'm getting my wish.

We may reap the rewards considering the rash of injuries we seem to face each year.

And the best part is this all helps take pressure off the draft. Since no RT has been signed yet I think OT at 9 may be very much in play. But early in the draft you could see TE, WR, G, and ILB addressed. Then in mid-rounds RB, S.

Agree mostly though I'd say the Williams move was fine, a bit more than lateral if he stays healthy. They're solid, unspectacular moves I see setting the stage for their draft board, at the least adding productive younger veteran depth with marginal upside.

Edit : I forgot to mention I was a little concerned about signing Keith Rivers. At 70, he's been touring with the Stones for nearly 52 years, but I remembered he's rebounded from bad situations before so I'm expecting him to still be able to rock well established riffs going forward.

kingJofNYC
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
He can play.

No he can't.

Reggie Tobor 2.0

Tatonka
03-12-2014, 09:13 PM
i like this signing. the guard concerns me, but my hope is we are not done addressing it. like the other two signings.

psubills62
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Every year we sign garbage and people wonder why we never make the playoffs
It's because the Bills suck at drafting. That's really the root of the problem. Doesn't really matter who we sign or don't sign in the end, in FA. If you don't draft well, you aren't going anywhere.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I think it was Hines Ward who clobbered Rivers in his rookie season and busted his jaw so badly that they put him on IR. His career hasn't gone the way anyone had predicted, but I don't think the book is closed on this guy.

5 years of playing time, one year missed in between? The book is closed on the guy, he is what he is a solid depth signing.

No more, no less.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 05:28 AM
Boo Hoo. Byrd's gone, live with it. He isn't worth the money he got paid.
We're all living with it, and have been for 14 years. We've now basically replaced Levitre with the scrub Williams, and let a great playmaker walk to sign some depth guys. These moves do not make us better.

I don't happen to agree with our personnel decisions, which have caused us to miss the playoffs every year since 1999. And unless you're a relative of Ralph and are looking for a bigger inheritance, why does it hurt to overpay a great player? We vastly overpay for overhyped crap like Mario, but then become super money conscious when it comes to really good players like Byrd.

You can defend the Bills all day, but their putrid record says it all.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 05:36 AM
It's because the Bills suck at drafting. That's really the root of the problem. Doesn't really matter who we sign or don't sign in the end, in FA. If you don't draft well, you aren't going anywhere.
And when we do draft well, as in the cases of Levitre and Byrd, we are too cheap to keep them. We would rather alternate ridiculous mega signings like Mario with bargain basement free agent acquisitions, than retain our own quality draft picks.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:44 AM
And when we do draft well, as in the cases of Levitre and Byrd, we are too cheap to keep them. We would rather alternate ridiculous mega signings like Mario with bargain basement free agent acquisitions, than retain our own quality draft picks.
Can I get an "amen"...

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/Can+I+get+an+amen+_41a41eaa5e51ee12e29c02e799656801.jpg

YardRat
03-13-2014, 06:02 AM
I like the new business/football model this new regime is following.

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 06:43 AM
We're all living with it, and have been for 14 years. We've now basically replaced Levitre with the scrub Williams, and let a great playmaker walk to sign some depth guys. These moves do not make us better.

I don't happen to agree with our personnel decisions, which have caused us to miss the playoffs every year since 1999. And unless you're a relative of Ralph and are looking for a bigger inheritance, why does it hurt to overpay a great player? We vastly overpay for overhyped crap like Mario, but then become super money conscious when it comes to really good players like Byrd.

You can defend the Bills all day, but their putrid record says it all.Isn't it unseemly for a man of your age to constantly cry about things that are out of your control? Thought you would have learned that lesson by now. At least, with the youngsters it's understandable because they were raised in a world of finger pointing and victim mentality.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Isn't it unseemly for a man of your age to constantly cry about things that are out of your control? Thought you would have learned that lesson by now. At least, with the youngsters it's understandable because they were raised in a world of finger pointing and victim mentality.

Regardless of my age, I'm a fan who likes to win. And I'm tired of the stupid decisions that the Bills make year after year.

Like many things in my life - and in all of our lives - the Bills are totally out of my control. But I don't have to condone 14 years of losing by issuing pious pronouncements about how good it is to be rid of another All-Pro, or what a great deal we made by signing a second rate guard to replace a couple of third rate guards, to replace Levitre.

This is an opinion board, and my opinion is that the Bills could have resigned Byrd and Levitre for what we are going to pay lesser players like Williams, Graham, Rivers and the even cheaper junk we will pick up in the remainder of free agency.

mysticsoto
03-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Your pt needs to be emphasized more. Every year we have injuries and then go downhill from there. Depth is needed in today's age. Injuries occur all the time - it's a rough game out there. Like you, I too am happy they are addressing our depth issue. We can't have superstars @every position. We need depth also for when our starters go out.

But yes, admittedly, we do need to hit on a few gems in the draft. If we could get Spikes and maybe resign Chandler, we could go top Oline prospects in our 1st few picks and have EJ formidably protected with an outstanding line in front of him. We'd still be be able to get a decent WR in the 3rd & go BPA afterwards - which hopefully includes another LB and a FS.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 07:58 AM

To value depth players over quality starters and playmakers? We'll really have to hit the draft big time - which we haven't done consistently - to get at least the O Linemen, WRs and LBs we need, get more out of our TEs, find some ball hawks in the secondary, and hope EJ develops into a franchise QB. That's a lot to hope for in a team that has been so bad for so long.

And when you see what some of our competitors are doing, it gives you very little confidence.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Regardless of my age, I'm a fan who likes to win. And I'm tired of the stupid decisions that the Bills make year after year.

Like many things in my life - and in all of our lives - the Bills are totally out of my control. But I don't have to condone 14 years of losing by issuing pious pronouncements about how good it is to be rid of another All-Pro, or what a great deal we made by signing a second rate guard to replace a couple of third rate guards, to replace Levitre.

This is an opinion board, and my opinion is that the Bills could have resigned Byrd and Levitre for what we are going to pay lesser players like Williams, Graham, Rivers and the even cheaper junk we will pick up in the remainder of free agency.

It's already been 'proven' that Levitre's presence (or lack thereof) made a difference of about zero. Considering some of the other players we were able to get (Lawson, Branch, etc) and some noticeable improvement on the defensive side of the ball, I'd say Buffalo came out ahead on that deal.

Hopefully not over-paying for Byrd will have a similar effect, and the team will start winning more games.

This is only the beginning of Year 2 for Team Brandon-Whaley-Marrone...things take time. Only time will tell if they will succeed, or if the incessant whiners are correct and they fail.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
To value depth players over quality starters and playmakers? We'll really have to hit the draft big time - which we haven't done consistently - to get at least the O Linemen, WRs and LBs we need, get more out of our TEs, find some ball hawks in the secondary, and hope EJ develops into a franchise QB. That's a lot to hope for in a team that has been so bad for so long.

And when you see what some of our competitors are doing, it gives you very little confidence.

You draft your core talent.
You upgrade depth, for the most part, via free agency. Plug in a marginal starter here and there, make a big splash occasionally.
You don't bust the market, especially on over-hyped talent, just because you drafted them.

You left out the development of young guys already on the roster. If Byrd's four ints are the mark of a 'ballhawk', well we've already got a few of them on the roster.

jimmifli
03-13-2014, 08:17 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o7pVjl4Rrtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

And you may find yourself watching the playoffs from home.

Same as it ever was.

EDS
03-13-2014, 08:34 AM
You draft your core talent.
You upgrade depth, for the most part, via free agency. Plug in a marginal starter here and there, make a big splash occasionally.
You don't bust the market, especially on over-hyped talent, just because you drafted them.

You left out the development of young guys already on the roster. If Byrd's four ints are the mark of a 'ballhawk', well we've already got a few of them on the roster.

Isn't the "core talent" supposed to include the best players you drafted? If so, letting two of your best recent draft picks leave in consecutive years does not seem to make sense. But yeah, the Bills got some journeyman veterans on their roster, so a clear win . . .

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 09:16 AM

This is an opinion board, and my opinion is that the Bills could have resigned Byrd and Levitre for what we are going to pay lesser players like Williams, Graham, Rivers and the even cheaper junk we will pick up in the remainder of free agency.Jairus Byrd is not as good as you think, neither was Levitre. Pro Bowl doesn't mean very much except to the fanboys, but if that's a measuring stick, how many did Levitre make?

The NFL is a business. Monetary value of players is subjective and then there's the little fact of where the player wants to play. Some chose to constantly cry about the organization when it's far more complicated. We are also only guessing when it comes to negotiations.

Bottom line, if people hate the team so much and try to second guess every move that is made, there is a simple solution. Then again, some people that post here reveal their true character with their constant bellyaching.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Hopefully not over-paying for Byrd will have a similar effect, and the team will start winning more games.

We've been living on "hopefully" for 14 seasons now. I just don't see how letting one of your very best players walk, and signing some retreads, will make this upcoming season better.

I know things take time, and this is a new regime, but after years and years of similar head-scratching moves, I'm reasonably skeptical. I'm a Biils' fan who has lost his optimism to false starts and broken promises, so I will have to see some winning results before I invest in any sort of expectations of improvement.

Right now, I don't see how jettisoning one of your best players each year, and making up for it by signing a quantity of warm bodies, gets you to the playoffs.

feldspar
03-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Bottom line, if people hate the team so much and try to second guess every move that is made, there is a simple solution. Then again, some people that post here reveal their true character with their constant bellyaching.

I'll go right ahead and say it...bunch of *****es.

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 09:36 AM
I'll go right ahead and say it...bunch of *****es.LOL.....or the emasculation of the American male. They all turned into metrosexuals with their wives carrying their balls in their purse.

better days
03-13-2014, 09:51 AM
It's already been 'proven' that Levitre's presence (or lack thereof) made a difference of about zero. Considering some of the other players we were able to get (Lawson, Branch, etc) and some noticeable improvement on the defensive side of the ball, I'd say Buffalo came out ahead on that deal.

This is only the beginning of Year 2 for Team Brandon-Whaley-Marrone...things take time. Only time will tell if they will succeed, or if the incessant whiners are correct and they fail.

I like the additions of Lawson, Branch, Hughes, but if the Bills had kept Levitre as well, they may have made the playoffs last year. Brown was God awful.

I do have faith Whaley has the ship righted & steered in the right direction.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
hey, we did OK with the Jerry Hughes gamble. This feels similar. Hope it ends the same way.

cookie G
03-13-2014, 11:35 AM
It's already been 'proven' that Levitre's presence (or lack thereof) made a difference of about zero.

Well, letting the best pass blocking guard in the league go..

and replacing him with a bunch of guys who ..um..were not...

and watching the passing offense sink to 28th in the league (despite 3 of your 1st 4 draft picks made to improve the passing game)
..and giving up 18 additional sacks...
..plus a whole lot of pressure up the middle...

Yeah, something was proven.

But no worries...we just signed one of the worst pass blocking guards in the league.

And yet, Whaley was boasting about "filling a big hole" yesterday..

Maybe he bought some of that Handyman in a Can Sealer or something.

Considering some of the other players we were able to get (Lawson, Branch, etc) and some noticeable improvement on the defensive side of the ball, I'd say Buffalo came out ahead on that deal.

Not paying Barnett and Spencer Johnson, as well as a few others on D, did that.

Failing to sign Levitre was just rolled over into this year and paid for...Handyman In a Can Williams.