PDA

View Full Version : Pats sign Revis, 1 year/$12M

GingerP
03-12-2014, 07:10 PM
per Shefter.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
CB Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal, league sources told ESPN.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Crap! Damn the evil empire!

Oldbillsfan
03-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Didn't see that coming....

Goobylal
03-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Desperation move. That will get them no further than they've been last the last decade.

The last buffalo fan
03-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Oh well, Stevie's ***** is back! :gobills:

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Desperation move. That will get them no further than they've been last the last decade.

Homers will be here soon to tell us that the Pats are declining and the Bills will win the division this year.

They have been saying it for the past 10 years.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Homers will be here soon to tell us that the Pats are declining and the Bills will win the division this year.

They have been saying it for the past 10 years.
The Pats are declining and the Bills will not win the division.

gr8slayer
03-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Damn, they just keep getting bailed out of their inability to draft a great CB.

X-Era
03-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Damn, they just keep getting bailed out of their inability to draft a great CB.
Meh. Revis doesn't scare me.

Tatonka
03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
good deal for both them and revis.

Mahdi
03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Perennial AFC contender FA = Revis

Perennial AFCE BASEMENT Dweller FA = Graham

It's ok we got another LB Cincinnati and the LB starved Giants didn't want and a LG the Rams OL and Bear OL didn't need.

QUALITY starters for the Bills.

YardRat
03-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Bummer.

Stevie vs Revie will be something to look forward though, especially if both are healthy.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2014, 08:12 PM

It's ok we got another LB Cincinnati and the LB starved Giants didn't want and a LG the Rams OL and Bear OL didn't need.

With the Bills superior experienced NFL coaching, they will just coach up these players.

feldspar
03-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Gimme a break. The Patriots aren't historically successful because of their free agent signings.

Mace
03-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Amazing.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2014, 09:41 PM
My real question is why Revis agreed to a one year deal.

better days
03-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Well, he made $16 Mill last year.

$12 Mill this year.

That is $28 Mill over two years.

I don't think he needs the security of a long term contract.

feldspar
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM

Apparently, he likes to gamble on himself. I didn't understand why he would sign a contract with no guaranteed money last year, either. He's making bank, but what if he gets hurt, or his value diminishes for whatever reason?

There's gotta be a "no franchise" clause in his 1-year deal though. His last contract with the Jets had one. The Patriots are just renting him, really. We'll see where this goes.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2014, 10:00 PM

$12 Mill this year.

He held out on New York twice over money and that's what ultimately prompted his trade. If Revis has shown anything at all in his career, it's that he's mercenary. He signed that utterly bizarre no guarantee deal in Tampa and now this.

better days
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
He held out on New York twice over money and that's what ultimately prompted his trade. If Revis has shown anything at all in his career, it's that he's mercenary. He signed that utterly bizarre no guarantee deal in Tampa and now this.

Agreed. But even if he has a down year this year he can probably get at least $10 Mill next year.

Some team is guaranteed to rent him again.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Agreed. But even if he has a down year this year he can probably get at least $10 Mill next year.

Some team is guaranteed to rent him again.

If he doesn't blow out his knee again. I could understand if he was ring-chasing but that's a complete 180 from his entire career so far.

Goobylal
03-12-2014, 10:07 PM
good deal for both them and revis.
No, it's a bad deal for Revis. At his age, he should be looking for the long-term deal. If he gets injured this season, that's mostly gone. To me it looks like he's just trying to stick it to the Jets for a year because the Pats aren't winning the SB again and he'll be gone next year.

And the Bucs, who had the cap room and needed a good CB, cut him. Your point?

$12 Mill this year.

Sure he does. And if he thinks he doesn't, he's an idiot.

Mahdi
03-12-2014, 10:11 PM
No, it's a bad deal for Revis. At his age, he should be looking for the long-term deal. If he gets injured this season, that's mostly gone. To me it looks like he's just trying to stick it to the Jets for a year because the Pats aren't winning the SB again and he'll be gone next year.

And the Bucs, who had the cap room and needed a good CB, cut him. Your point?

Sure he does. And if he thinks he doesn't, he's an idiot.

The Bucs cut him because Lovie Smith is pure cover 2 and you don't need a 16 mil CB to play that D. He got Verner for half that. Also Revis would have hated that D.

Meathead
03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
adds a shutdown stud to take away opponents best long option when marcias got them the lead which is often. has a bit of a last hurrah feeling to it. might work

Meathead
03-12-2014, 10:29 PM
course looking fwd to stevies continues battles on joker island

stuckincincy
03-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Good 'ole Revis - Holding, shoving off, hooking, grabbing - all with no flags called. He's a perfect fit with NE.

EricStratton
03-13-2014, 05:08 AM
Based on last year it's a downgrade for the Pats after losing Talib. Of course this will be year two after the injury so Revis may play better.

feldspar
03-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Based on last year it's a downgrade for the Pats after losing Talib. Of course this will be year two after the injury so Revis may play better.

Not really, though. The Bucs were using Revis in zone coverage a lot early on, and that's not his game. When they switched him to man-to-man, it was the same guy that dominates at his position.

It's Revis Island, not Revis peninsula.

But Stevie Johnson matches up pretty well with Revis historically.

sukie
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

He was set up for a 1 year monster mercinary deal like this. Boom 12 mil and a 1 time shot at a ring.

sukie
03-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Just read that although the deal is one year. There is an option year at 20 mil.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Wilfork just asked for his release from Pats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333833/article/vince-wilfork-has-asked-for-his-release-from-patriots

feldspar
03-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Wilfork just asked for his release from Pats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333833/article/vince-wilfork-has-asked-for-his-release-from-patriots

Good.

I knew there was some contention there.

better days
03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
adds a shutdown stud to take away opponents best long option when marcias got them the lead which is often. has a bit of a last hurrah feeling to it. might work

If the Pats* had kept Talib, the Revis signing would have meant much more but replacing Talib it is just a wash.

Talib had a better year than Revis last year & may again this year & Talib has Manning as his QB.

TigerJ
03-13-2014, 08:43 PM
New England have just over 12 million in cap space and signed Revis for $12 million. Because it's a one year deal, every penny counts against the cap this year. The Patriots avoided the consequences they might have suffered by losing Talib, but they don't have a whole lot of flexibility to get better. Brady is another year older and the clock is ticking. No, I'm not predicting the collapse of the Patriots, but they are not quite good enough to get to the Super Bowl, and they're basically treading water. There is room for another AFC East team to catch up and displace them as division winner.

Goobylal
03-13-2014, 09:15 PM
They still won't win another SB.