PDA

View Full Version : Two days in...

coastal
03-13-2014, 04:58 AM
And the bills have done little to nothing to get better. Maybe it can be argued that we added a decent nickel corner, but we also gave up an All-pro safety.

Not just that, but the team that's won our division for say the last decade... well they added arguably a top 3 CB to their roster.

so bills nation... can someone please explain to me how at this point we can expect anything better than 6-10 again.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 05:14 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl-columns/regaining-a-home-game-improves-bills-already-20140312

They say Whaley likes “ascending” guys. How about identifying some players who aren’t on everyone’s radar? Isn’t that what separates the great personnel men from the merely good ones?

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Ok... we like ascending guys.

you mean like Carrington?

swiper
03-13-2014, 05:34 AM
LOL. Rag on him, if you want, but I'd love them to resign Carrington.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:38 AM
LOL. Rag on him, if you want, but I'd love them to resign Carrington.
Oh swipes... me too.

thats the point, Carrington should already be reinked.

hes our own ascending talent... last years injury aside.

You just know that Parker is taking him elsewhere.

swiper
03-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Parker has a long history with Buffalo.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Parker has a long history with Buffalo.

I don't care. I'm in Fla. Saw Braves/Nationals yesterday. Getting snow and gray skies outta my veins. Might see the Lightning this weekend.you're in Florida?

Well that explains it.

swiper
03-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Parker may let Carrington resign, then make out like it's Buffalo's consolation prize.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:54 AM
The main point remains... we better add a quality starter on each side of the ball here soon or we aren't taking the next step... again.

shocking I know.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 05:58 AM
I still think Carrington ends up in Cleveland, unfortunately. I'd like him re-signed also, but you already know my theory on that one.

swiper
03-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Spikes/Pettigrew

or

Spikes/Saffold

X-Era
03-13-2014, 06:00 AM
The main point remains... we better add a quality starter on each side of the ball here soon or we aren't taking the next step... again.

shocking I know.I would like one starter from the rest of free agency and I'll be good with where we are leading to the draft.

Give me a starting ILB or RT and I'm good.

Spikes or Strief

Pinkerton Security
03-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Im getting frustrated watching the Jets and Pats pick up solid players, even if I think Decker is a bit overrated (byproduct of Manning). If we can sign Spikes and another quality starter, I'd be a little happier with our direction.

feldspar
03-13-2014, 07:13 AM

shocking I know.

What's shocking is that you say this, and yet you have a humongous problem with Mario Williams signing in free agency.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2014, 07:20 AM
And the bills have done little to nothing to get better. Maybe it can be argued that we added a decent nickel corner, but we also gave up an All-pro safety.

Not just that, but the team that's won our division for say the last decade... well they added arguably a top 3 CB to their roster.

so bills nation... can someone please explain to me how at this point we can expect anything better than 6-10 again.

Maybe after a twelve pack and a couple of jagermeisters, but beyond that, I think we have actually regressed.

Historian
03-13-2014, 07:22 AM
The Bills are actually blaming their lack of ***doing anything**** on the weather.

It staggers the imagination....

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2014, 07:22 AM
So far they have essentially traded Byrd and Moats for Rivers, Graham and Williams.

I don't think they win that trade.

trapezeus
03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
the way i see it, we went 7-9 for 3 years, now completed 6-10 for 3 years, next stop 5-11. and all the while, better days will tell us we're getting better.

Oldbillsfan
03-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Its all about money ball. Russ Brandon and the Bills front office is smarter than any other in the league.

SquishDaFish
03-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Damn free agency is over already. damn time flies

trapezeus
03-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Its all about money ball. Russ Brandon and the Bills front office is smarter than any other in the league.

i agree with this. after two renewals of the toronto series, the analytics proved what some of us suspected. it sucked.

OpIv37
03-13-2014, 07:37 AM
So far they have essentially traded Byrd and Moats for Rivers, Graham and Williams.

I don't think they win that trade.
Even worse: the talent gap between us and the Pats continues to go in the wrong direction. We are worse without Byrd, they are better with Revis.

Until we can close that gap and make a legit run at winning the division, this team won't be successful. But this is going to be the 15th or so year in a row where the Pats win the division before the season starts and the other three teams are fighting for a wild card (barring injury to Brady, of course).

Dr. Lecter
03-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Even worse: the talent gap between us and the Pats continues to go in the wrong direction. We are worse without Byrd, they are better with Revis.

Until we can close that gap and make a legit run at winning the division, this team won't be successful. But this is going to be the 15th or so year in a row where the Pats win the division before the season starts and the other three teams are fighting for a wild card (barring injury to Brady, of course).

I am not sure they are that much better with Revis - they did lose Talib.

Regardless, they are at least replacing good players with good players.

OpIv37
03-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I am not sure they are that much better with Revis - they did lose Talib.

Regardless, they are at least replacing good players with good players.

Revis is better than Talib. It might be modest improvement, but it's still improvement. If we won 9 games last year and they won 10, this wouldn't be a huge issue. As it stands though, we were starting way behind them, and they're improving whereas we are regressing.

coastal
03-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Team no stone...

feldspar
03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Gotta love how fans want to completely ignore the fact that the other teams in our division have lost players as well, and some good ones.

The knee-jerk reaction two days in is priceless.

feldspar
03-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Revis is better than Talib. It might be modest improvement, but it's still improvement. If we won 9 games last year and they won 10, this wouldn't be a huge issue. As it stands though, we were starting way behind them, and they're improving whereas we are regressing.

The Patriots will probably lose their most productive receiver AGAIN this year, as well as Brandon Spikes. They only have Revis for one year. Losing Talib means something too. As long as the Patriots have Tom Brady, everyone is starting behind them, regardless of what kind of big names fans want to see signed in the first two days of free agency, which lasts months by the way.

OpIv37
03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
The Patriots will probably lose their most productive receiver AGAIN this year, as well as Brandon Spikes. They only have Revis for one year.
Yeah, because losing receivers clearly has negative effects on the Patriots.......

feldspar
03-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah, because losing receivers clearly has negative effects on the Patriots.......

You bet it does. They aren't immune to that, despite all of the hype that says that they could win with your grandmother in the slot.

Give Tom Brady an arsenal of weapons to throw to, and look out. The Patriots are stupid not to do that, and they seem to constantly have that at the bottom of their priorities list.

DBrown77
03-13-2014, 08:26 AM
The Bills are actually blaming their lack of ***doing anything**** on the weather.

It staggers the imagination....

No they're not

Night Train
03-13-2014, 08:42 AM
The knee-jerk reaction two days in is expected here

Corrected

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Anybody that thinks we are significantly worse without Byrd needs his head examined. I would like Spikes because we don't have a full compliment of good LBs and he's still out there. The idea of signing big splash FA's to build your team doesn't work. It's been proven with the Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles and the Raiders (years ago) You build a team from the ground up, through the draft. We haven't been good at drafting in the 2000's and that is why we have not made the playoffs. I think we are starting to go in the right direction, but it's not done with a new GM and HC overnight.

But, we have the same old from the usual suspects. Boo ****ing Hoo.

Personally, I find it annoying that Denver is trying to buy the SB. They bought Manning and Welker and now on the defensive side. At least teams like SF and Seattle developed their own talent.

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah, because losing receivers clearly has negative effects on the Patriots.......It sure has. Their offense is not what it was.

coastal
03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Anybody that thinks we are significantly worse without Byrd needs his head examined. I would like Spikes because we don't have a full compliment of good LBs and he's still out there. The idea of signing big splash FA's to build your team doesn't work. It's been proven with the Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles and the Raiders (years ago) You build a team from the ground up, through the draft. We haven't been good at drafting in the 2000's and that is why we have not made the playoffs. I think we are starting to go in the right direction, but it's not done with a new GM and HC overnight.

But, we have the same old from the usual suspects. Boo ****ing Hoo.

Personally, I find it annoying that Denver is trying to buy the SB. They bought Manning and Welker and now on the defensive side. At least teams like SF and Seattle developed their own talent.
I actually agree with most of this...

Heres the thing.. Pettigrew and Spikes aren't "big splash" free agents, but they are guys that would go a LONG way to helping the team become better.

theres NO reason to not go after both of them aggressively.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Looks like the bills would rather use FA for depth. Should be an interesting draft.

The Jokeman
03-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Spikes/Pettigrew

or

Spikes/Saffold

Saffold re-signed with the Rams.

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I actually agree with most of this...

Heres the thing.. Pettigrew and Spikes aren't "big splash" free agents, but they are guys that would go a LONG way to helping the team become better.

theres NO reason to not go after both of them aggressively.Shush. I might actually start liking you.:D

Uncle Jesse
03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
To me free agency is more to fill depth and add some pieces, nothing crazy. Of the 12 playoff teams this year, the key starters were all mostly drafted by their teams, no signed as free agents. Brees, Manning, Lynch, Welker being the biggest exceptions of course. Maybe Avril too?

Meathead
03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Shush. I might actually start liking you.:D

lets not go crazy

feldspar
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Oh swipes... me too.

thats the point, Carrington should already be reinked.

hes our own ascending talent... last years injury aside.

You just know that Parker is taking him elsewhere.

Parker cost his client money this time. The Bills tried to re-sign Carrington long-term before the 2013 season. Parker wouldn't take the deal, and then Carrington got hurt and has those type of "issues" attached to him.

better days
03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
the way i see it, we went 7-9 for 3 years, now completed 6-10 for 3 years, next stop 5-11. and all the while, better days will tell us we're getting better.

Well, we have gotten better as far as the overall roster goes. Compare the roster today from 4 years ago!

The question is the Coaching & QB.

If the Bills fail to win this year, I lay the blame at the feet of Marrone & EJ.

But if EJ develops & has a GOOD year & Marrone Coaches well, this team should make the playoffs.

Jeff1220
03-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Same stuff different year.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Well, we have gotten better as far as the overall roster goes. Compare the roster today from 4 years ago!

The question is the Coaching & QB.

If the Bills fail to win this year, I lay the blame at the feet of Marrone & EJ.

But if EJ develops & has a GOOD year & Marrone Coaches well, this team should make the playoffs.

Translation: Buddy Nix is the bestest!

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2014, 10:27 AM

magic, lots and lots and lots of magic.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Damn trap, live the dream three straight years of 0-16 are coming and I can't wait. I mean why have one winless season when you can have three?

better days
03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Translation: Buddy Nix is the bestest!

When compared to who was GM before him, absolutely.

But I think Whaley will prove a better GM than Nix was.

coastal
03-13-2014, 10:49 AM

U have perfected the art of troll/alter ego personality.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 10:53 AM

I'll say his predecessor was much of the same.

Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel...what's the difference? It's all garbage.

Hopefully Whaley can find a real QB or else the Bills will be relegated to another decade of futility.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-13-2014, 10:55 AM
The idea of signing big splash FA's to build your team doesn't work. It's been proven with the Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles and the Raiders (years ago) You build a team from the ground up, through the draft. We haven't been good at drafting in the 2000's and that is why we have not made the playoffs. I think we are starting to go in the right direction, but it's not done with a new GM and HC overnight.

I get the building through the draft mantra, but you have to keep who you draft. The 2009 draft was the best we've had in over a decade and 2 of the 3 major hits we scored are gone now.

To me free agency is more to fill depth and add some pieces, nothing crazy. Of the 12 playoff teams this year, the key starters were all mostly drafted by their teams, no signed as free agents. Brees, Manning, Lynch, Welker being the biggest exceptions of course. Maybe Avril too?

Lynch was a trade. If you are including secondary markets like trades, then you had a few major players on just about every playoff team: Sproles, Greer, Brees, Grubbs, Peters, Ryans, Justin Smith, Alex Smith, Whitner, Woodhead, Boldin, Olsen, Talib, Vasquez, DRC, Knighton, and of course Manning off the top of my head. Harvin missed the year but showed up huge in the Super Bowl as well.

better days
03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
U have perfected the art of troll/alter ego personality.

Anyone that thinks that can put me on ignore.

It is very easy to do, even an idiot can do it.

better days
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
I'll say his predecessor was much of the same.

Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel...what's the difference? It's all garbage.

Hopefully Whaley can find a real QB or else the Bills will be relegated to another decade of futility.

The difference is the other players Nix added.

It remains to be seen if EJ was a hit or a miss.

trapezeus
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Gotta love how fans want to completely ignore the fact that the other teams in our division have lost players as well, and some good ones.

The knee-jerk reaction two days in is priceless.

and supplemented by getting REvis or Decker.

the bills let go of a top 5 safety for two no names and a LB best known for getting blind sided by hines ward. perhaps its just me, but i don't see how they are moving the needle up or down by more than 1 game.

coastal
03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Anyone that thinks that can put me on ignore.

It is very easy to do, even an idiot can do it.
And miss out on your riveting analysis?

never.

better days
03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
and supplemented by getting REvis or Decker.

the bills let go of a top 5 safety for two no names and a LB best known for getting blind sided by hines ward. perhaps its just me, but i don't see how they are moving the needle up or down by more than 1 game.

The Pats* replaced a very good CB with another very good CB.

If they had kept Talib & added Revis that would have been awesome for them.

As it is, it is a wash.

Decker should prove to be a good addition to the Jets.

I think the Bills won loss record will depend on EJ more than anything else.

The Pats* win because of Brady, not the rest of the roster.

If EJ plays well, the Bills will win. If he doesn't we are in for another long losing year.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 11:13 AM
The difference is the other players Nix added.

It remains to be seen if EJ was a hit or a miss.

The best players on offense weren't Nix adds. The best players on defense weren't Nix adds.

The core of this team is still Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams.

Two of those 6 are Nix guys.

Byrd was part of that core, also not a Nix guy, but was lost under Whaley's watch.

So how is Nix better exactly?

better days
03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
And miss out on your riveting analysis?

never.

Well, I have been proven correct many times over the years.

And when I am proven wrong, I admit it.

Historian
03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Ralph is cheeeep!

:couch:

Uncle Jesse
03-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I get the building through the draft mantra, but you have to keep who you draft. The 2009 draft was the best we've had in over a decade and 2 of the 3 major hits we scored are gone now.

Lynch was a trade. If you are including secondary markets like trades, then you had a few major players on just about every playoff team: Sproles, Greer, Brees, Grubbs, Peters, Ryans, Justin Smith, Alex Smith, Whitner, Woodhead, Boldin, Olsen, Talib, Vasquez, DRC, Knighton, and of course Manning off the top of my head. Harvin missed the year but showed up huge in the Super Bowl as well.

No I am not talking trades, as this thread is about free agency and some people are complaining about lack of free agents, especially bigger names being signed. In which, remembering that Lynch was via trade, further proves my point on playoff teams not need to go big on UFAs.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
The best players on offense weren't Nix adds. The best players on defense weren't Nix adds.

The core of this team is still Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Mario Williams.

Byrd was part of that core, also not a Nix guy, but was lost under Whaley's watch.

So how is Nix better exactly?when the GM is able to extend guys , don't they become Nix's guys? :idunno:

better days
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM

So how is Nix better exactly?

Cordy Glenn is also a core player. As is Eric Wood.

Nix resigned both Eric Wood & Kyle Williams.

Byrd was a GOOD player, sorry to lose him, but he was not the best or most important core player.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 11:27 AM
when the GM is able to extend guys , don't they become Nix's guys? :idunno:

No. Because who knows if those players are even initially brought on board.

Without Marv Levy, Fred Jackson might not ever play in the NFL and he's easily the best player on offense and has been for the past 5 seasons.

Ultimately the success or failure of a GM is tied to the QB position and every GM, Butler through Nix, failed to find one. Donahoe came the closest with trading for Bledsoe but unraveled that by hitching the wagon to Losman.

better days
03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Without Marv Levy, Fred Jackson might not ever play in the NFL and he's easily the best player on offense and has been for the past 5 seasons.

Ultimately the success or failure of a GM is tied to the QB position and every GM, Butler through Nix, failed to find one. Donahoe came the closest with trading for Bledsoe but unraveled that by hitching the wagon to Losman.

A player can leave if not resigned. It should be a credit to any GM that signs his own or another teams FA's.

I agree about the QB. It remains to be seen about EJ, but if he is a bust, that will be Nix's biggest failure.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Well, I have been proven correct many times over the years.

And when I am proven wrong, I admit it.

You are delusional.

better days
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM
You are delusional.

Well, you offer NOTHING to the board.

All you have to say is the Bills suck.

Real insight there.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, you offer NOTHING to the board.

All you have to say is the Bills suck.

Real insight there.

I have given detailed analysis as to why they suck.

The number of reasons they suck have been listed.

Until Ralph departs, the sucking will continue.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM

but a GM still has to make the decision to keep or let players go, core or not. If you want to blame GM's for letting guys like Byrd, Winfield, Bledsoe ,etc. walk. You should give them credit for keeping players as well. If you're giving Donahoe credit for trading for Bledsoe then you should give credit to Nix for signing Mario. This makes Mario a NIx guy.

No argument on the qb position which is why I am hard on EJ . This team is going no where until we have a franchise qb.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
A player can leave if not resigned. It should be a credit to any GM that signs his own or another teams FA's.

I agree about the QB. It remains to be seen about EJ, but if he is a bust, that will be Nix's biggest failure.

Using that logic, Butler was successful because he kept Kelly here.

Realistically, he's the guy who rode Polian's team for one year and then made them worse, ultimately to the point of putting the Bills into salary cap jail that Donahoe had to fix.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2014, 11:40 AM
but a GM still has to make the decision to keep or let players go, core or not. If you want to blame GM's for letting guys like Byrd, Winfield, Bledsoe ,etc. walk. You should give them credit for keeping players as well. If you're giving Donahoe credit for trading for Bledsoe then you should give credit to Nix for signing Mario. This makes Mario a NIx guy.

No argument on the qb position which is why I am hard on EJ . This team is going no where until we have a franchise qb.

I did give Nix credit on Mario. Mario's a core guy.

justasportsfan
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
I did give Nix credit on Mario. Mario's a core guy.

Nix should get credit for any draft picks he made, FA signing and resigning because he made those decisions. Just like Donahoe gets credit for Bledsoe and Losman.

Historian
03-13-2014, 11:52 AM
What's Chris Kelsay doing these days?

JoeMama
03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
What's Chris Kelsay doing these days?

Stacking paper to the ceiling and rolling on 24 inch chrome.

Thanks Bills!

better days
03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I have given detailed analysis as to why they suck.

The number of reasons they suck have been listed.

Until Ralph departs, the sucking will continue.

BS, it takes more than a word or even a sentence like 99.9% of your posts to provide detailed analysis.

But let me correct myself. You also offer up your opinion that the Bills will & should move from Buffalo every chance you get.

If there is a troll on this board, it is YOU.

jimmifli
03-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Stacking paper to the ceiling and rolling on 24 inch chrome.
Chris Kelsay slinging dope would be awesome!

Dealer:Yo Chris, you a lil light this week
Kelsay:Yep I noticed that too. Those gentleman over there asked me to vacate my corner and this one just isn't as good. But I'm trying really hard.
Dealer:Nigga PleeZ nobody cares how hard you tried. Move the product or I shoot yo ass.
Kelsay:OK boss! I'll try my best!

coastal
03-13-2014, 01:20 PM
My favorite Chris Kelsay incarnation was OLB. That was big fun.

jimmifli
03-13-2014, 01:24 PM
My favorite Chris Kelsay incarnation was OLB. That was big fun.
I don't remember that?

Do mean when he played TE spectator?

Meathead
03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
revis > talib

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
This is priceless. Spike calling someone else delusional. He's one of the guys that prays for the death of Ralph Wilson so the team can get better. He also calls many people racists over nothing. Maybe because they didn't import a foreign black women for marriage as he did.

coastal
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
not nice moonie.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Moonie is trying to hurt my feelings.

feldspar
03-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Moonie is trying to hurt my feelings.

Somebody's got to do it.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 04:40 PM
I would consider Spikes a decent sized FA splash, coastal.

coastal
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM
I would consider Spikes a decent sized FA splash, coastal.
A two down backer isn't a big splash free agent.

That being said... he'd be a big splash and more importantly... the right splash for the Bills!

pmoon6
03-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Moonie is trying to hurt my feelings.You have no feelings to hurt as illustrated by your numerous posts and wishes towards Wilson.

- - - Updated - - -

not nice moonie.Since when have I ever been "nice"?

coastal
03-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Since when have I ever been "nice"?we both know better... plus there's no one Id rather meet from out here than you.

Meathead
03-14-2014, 01:14 AM
gay

coastal
03-14-2014, 06:08 AM
gay
Could care less if you dropped dead?

swiper
03-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Not nice deux.

coastal
03-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Three days in and no improvement.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Three days in and no improvement.

WRONG AGAIN, LINKIN PARK!

We improved our savings account!

With all that extra dough, we can watch Ralph do a couple laps in his pool of money ala Scrooge McDuck.

Still I'm baffled how a team this bad can have such a lousy cap position. We must have Enron execs cooking the financial statements.

swiper
03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
WRONG AGAIN, LINKIN PARK!

We improved our savings account!

Ralph Wilson loves you.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Ralph Wilson loves you.

I wish.

If he really loved me, he'd make me his heir.

Or just make the Bills relevant again.

Either way.

SpikedLemonade
03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Ralph Wilson is a great man.