PDA

View Full Version : Will The Bills Defense Be Better, or Worse Than Last Year?

BillsImpossible
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I would love to ask Marcell Dareus this question, because I think he is going to have his best year yet in 2014.

Dareus is good in a 3-4 system, but he has always played better in a 4-3.

Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, and Alan Branch will reap the rewards.

It's always better to have more beef up front if you don't have a guy like Ted Washington or Vince Wilfork to anchor a 3-4 system.

For the first time in a long time, the Bills linebackers were actually good last year.

They are one stud linebacker away from having a complete defense, which is starting to make me think the Bills are going to draft a linebacker with the 9th pick.

I'm quite comfortable with the Bills secondary talent in Donnie Henderson's hands.

Aaron Williams made big plays last year. Da'Norris Searcy made big plays last year too.

I think it's fair to say that Williams and Searcy made just as many big plays as Byrd did, maybe more.

Searcy had a pick 6, Byrd didn't. Williams had 2 picks in the endzone, Byrd didn't.

Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham, and Robey. That should be interesting.

I think the Bills defense will be better in 2014.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 07:59 PM
I hope they are. I think they'll have more talent and depth, but a lot depends on what Schwartz brings to the table, and how the players develop. If they don't get stouter up the middle, they'll still struggle against the run, so it would be nice to pick up an MLB and DT.

GvilleBills
03-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Its possible. Add Spikes and go BPA the whole draft.

BillsImpossible
03-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Is this Bills defense seriously 1 giant middle linebacker away from being the best defense they've had since....I can't say it.

The front 4 are good. Their secondary is good.

Is this 2014 Buffalo Bills defense 1 linebacker away from being great?

Mace
03-13-2014, 08:44 PM
I hope they are. I think they'll have more talent and depth, but a lot depends on what Schwartz brings to the table, and how the players develop. If they don't get stouter up the middle, they'll still struggle against the run, so it would be nice to pick up an MLB and DT.

Yeah, I worry Schwartz will be a latter day Wannstedt. Hasn't actually coordinated a defense since 2008.

It really really bothers me that the constants between coordinators, and over years now, in being unable to stop the run, are Williams, Williams and Dareus, to different extents in how long they've been here. Schemes and coordinators don't matter, linebackers are always overtasked, and talented db's struggle not to get gashed because that line has no interest in playing the run. There's just no saying those guys aren't talented enough to be able to.

It still happened under Pettine, sure....but it felt better that they had people coming from everywhere, anytime, with opposing offenses struggling to see what was happening next. It was at least entertaining.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want to be, last year gave me a taste of loving to watch the D come on the field again for the first time in a decade.

BillsImpossible has a lot of reasons too they should be better.

But I think they're going to regress no matter who they get, because there is something fundamentally wrong with Williams, Williams and Dareus in how they apply whatever they are being taught about letting running backs run past them.

better days
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I worry Schwartz will be a latter day Wannstedt. Hasn't actually coordinated a defense since 2008.

It really really bothers me that the constants between coordinators, and over years now, in being unable to stop the run, are Williams, Williams and Dareus, to different extents in how long they've been here. Schemes and coordinators don't matter, linebackers are always overtasked, and talented db's struggle not to get gashed because that line has no interest in playing the run. There's just no saying those guys aren't talented enough to be able to.

It still happened under Pettine, sure....but it felt better that they had people coming from everywhere, anytime, with opposing offenses struggling to see what was happening next. It was at least entertaining.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want to be, last year gave me a taste of loving to watch the D come on the field again for the first time in a decade.

BillsImpossible has a lot of reasons too they should be better.

But I think they're going to regress no matter who they get, because there is something fundamentally wrong with Williams, Williams and Dareus in how they apply whatever they are being taught about letting running backs run past them.

Schwartz got more involved with the Lions defense last year & he said the Bills will play an attacking defense last year similar to what Pettine did, not a read & react like Wannstedt.

Also, McKelvin said he learned a lot from his Coach Donnie Henderson last year. McKelvin also said Henderson pushed him last year & told McKelvin he saw something in him that he saw in Ed Reed who he had Coached before.

McKelvin said Henderson told him he wanted him to be GREAT & not settle for being average.

ServoBillieves
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
No. Pettine was something special. Im not saying without him we are screwed but that was upper echelon coordination.

justasportsfan
03-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I worry about continuity. If the team has to change a lot under Schwartz, the players lose momentum. Under Wanny, playmakers were held back to role playing. Under Pettine, they had the freedom . I don't know what Schwartz brings.

Mr. Pink
03-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Probably a little worse.

Loss of the top player on the defense and a coordinator change will have some bumps on the road.

They should be playing better near the end of the season however.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
The off season isn't over, but so far we've changed dcs and lost a pro bowler in the secondary. Its hard not to see a step back in that.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Too early.

We still need a legit MLB.

Rivers starting on the outside isn't comforting.

Gilmore has to get better. Even when he wasn't injured, he flat out sucked last year. He looked like a 7th round pick, not a 1st rounder.

Aaron Williams has to stay healthy and prove last season wasn't a mirage.

Da'Norris Searcy will determine whether or not losing Byrd was a crushing loss or something we can live with.

Kiko is Kiko.

I'm not worried about M. Williams, K. Williams, or Dareus.

Branch is okay. Wouldn't mind an upgrade though.

Jim Schwartz is a huge question mark. It's been a long time since he was a DC and he was such a miserable failure as a HC, it's difficult to remember that he's competent at anything.

OpIv37
03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
As of right now, 3/14, I'm saying worse.

If we land Spikes or another quality FA, maybe I will rethink that, but at the moment, we lost Byrd and are on our 3rd DC in three years. I simply don't see how a D changing (or at least modifying) schemes while losing a Pro Bowl S could possibly be better.

justasportsfan
03-14-2014, 11:54 AM

If we land Spikes or another quality FA, maybe I will rethink that, but at the moment, we lost Byrd and are on our 3rd DC in three years. I simply don't see how a D changing (or at least modifying) schemes while losing a Pro Bowl S could possibly be better.

How did the D do after changing from Wanny to Pettine?

OpIv37
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
How did the D do after changing from Wanny to Pettine?

Better, once Mario wasn't injured and started playing well, A Williams was at his natural position, we added Kiko and we traded Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes.

Apples and oranges. Pettine got a talent upgrade. Schwartz is being handed a talent downgrade.

Luisito23
03-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Worse...Isn't it the way it always goes for this team?

justasportsfan
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Better, once Mario wasn't injured and started playing well, A Williams was at his natural position, we added Kiko and we traded Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes.

Apples and oranges. Pettine got a talent upgrade. Schwartz is being handed a talent downgrade.

but you said changing DC's will affect our D negatively yet the D got better by changing DC's last year? Arguing with yourself again. Oh and it's the DC's job to realize where A Williams should play.Wanny didn't realize that.

Again, THe DC Pettine put Mario in a position to succeed. Mario was a player upgrade in Gailey's last year yet we got worse. So there goes your player upgrade argument. Your arguing that Mario just magically got better by himself without Pettines scheme.

DesertFox24
03-14-2014, 12:33 PM

We are losing Bryd which is a talent downgrade for sure.

But Spikes and Kiko at Will could be an upgrade to the front 7, and Graham definitely is a good depth slash McKelvin competition so that is an upgrade.

I honestly have no idea what to say about Keith Rivers, him and Lawson I think will be decent at the SAM spot. That being said the SAM spot is probably the least important position in the 43.

OpIv37
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
but you said changing DC's will affect our D negatively yet the D got better by changing DC's last year? Arguing with yourself again. Oh and it's the DC's job to realize where A Williams should play.Wanny didn't realize that.

Again, THe DC Pettine put Mario in a position to succeed. Mario was a player upgrade in Gailey's last year yet we got worse. So there goes your player upgrade argument. Your arguing that Mario just magically got better by himself without Pettines scheme.
YOU say the DC got better. I never agreed to that.

Mario was hurt his first year. Injury, not scheme, not magic.

- - - Updated - - -

We are losing Bryd which is a talent downgrade for sure.

But Spikes and Kiko at Will could be an upgrade to the front 7, and Graham definitely is a good depth slash McKelvin competition so that is an upgrade.

I honestly have no idea what to say about Keith Rivers, him and Lawson I think will be decent at the SAM spot. That being said the SAM spot is probably the least important position in the 43.

At the moment we don't have Spikes so he doesn't count.

justasportsfan
03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
YOU say the DC got better. I never agreed to that. . ON Paper we got better if you look at both Schwartz and Pettines history. Since you think PAper is a reality, then it is a reality. Your logic. not mine.

Mario was hurt his first year. Injury, not scheme, not magic.

So what about Kyle, Dareus, Searcy, playing better under Pettine compared to Wanny? Magic?

So if playing under Pettine's scheme did NOT make them play better then why are worried about Pettine leaving?

justasportsfan
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
OP here's your post about losing Pettine

We lost a good D coordinator- how is that NOT something to ***** about?

Here's the entire thread of you whining about losing Pettine.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/222481-Typical-Bills-Luck-%28pettine%29/page4

If it was about talent then did you whine just to whine about losing Pettine?

coastal
03-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Too early.

We still need a legit MLB.

Rivers starting on the outside isn't comforting.

Gilmore has to get better. Even when he wasn't injured, he flat out sucked last year. He looked like a 7th round pick, not a 1st rounder.

Aaron Williams has to stay healthy and prove last season wasn't a mirage.

Da'Norris Searcy will determine whether or not losing Byrd was a crushing loss or something we can live with.

Kiko is Kiko.

I'm not worried about M. Williams, K. Williams, or Dareus.

Branch is okay. Wouldn't mind an upgrade though.

Jim Schwartz is a huge question mark. It's been a long time since he was a DC and he was such a miserable failure as a HC, it's difficult to remember that he's competent at anything.not worried about Mario?

really?

coastal
03-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Mario was hurt his first year.:rofl:

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
not worried about Mario?

really?

The only thing I worry about with Mario is that if he keeps losing jewelry to gold digging ex-girlfriends, he's gonna hold out for more money.

I'm gonna send him my Bell Biv Devoe cassette tape, so from now on he'll know that girl is poooooison.

Never trust a big butt and a smile.

Night Train
03-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Can we bump this in August ?? That's the first point we'll have any idea. Lots more pieces to be added.

jimmifli
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I think the defense underachieved last season. The talent was there for them to be very good, but they seemed content to have a moderate improvement and be better than the offense.

If they use the lose of Byrd as an excuse, they'll stay about the same or get worse. If they play up to their talent level they should be much better.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the defense underachieved last season. The talent was there for them to be very good, but they seemed content to have a moderate improvement and be better than the offense.

If they use the lose of Byrd as an excuse, they'll stay about the same or get worse. If they play up to their talent level they should be much better.

YardRat
03-14-2014, 05:03 PM
That was worth posting twice.

OpIv37
03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Can we bump this in August ?? That's the first point we'll have any idea. Lots more pieces to be added.
Lmao..... 10 years running that I've heard this......

Mace
03-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Schwartz got more involved with the Lions defense last year & he said the Bills will play an attacking defense last year similar to what Pettine did, not a read & react like Wannstedt.

Also, McKelvin said he learned a lot from his Coach Donnie Henderson last year. McKelvin also said Henderson pushed him last year & told McKelvin he saw something in him that he saw in Ed Reed who he had Coached before.

McKelvin said Henderson told him he wanted him to be GREAT & not settle for being average.

I won't be upset at saying I was wrong if you're right. I want you to be right. I just don't think so atm.

better days
03-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Let me correct myself. I meant to say Aaron Williams said that about Henderson, not McKelvin.

psubills62
03-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Given Albert Haynesworth's success in Jim Schwartz's defense, I'm intrigued by how Dareus will do as well.

As much as the loss of Byrd hurts, I'm hopeful the two safeties we drafted last year can step up and contribute. You have to expect that out of your draftees if a team is going to perform and draft well.

I love having a linebacker (Alonso) who can not only stay in for passing downs, but actually be a good pass defender. Rare thing in this league. He's the kind of guy you absolutely pay when his time comes.

It's really hard to say if it will be better. I think our DL is overall better in a 4-3, and hopefully we're improving the LB's little by little. It seems there's a chance the defense could be solid all around, depending on who comes in during the draft.

Hopefully, it will be something that's fun to watch.

justasportsfan
03-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Now we're better and that's the reality :snicker:

jimmifli
06-17-2015, 04:34 PM
OK. Let's play this game again a year later.

ublinkwescore
06-18-2015, 06:16 AM

whoooooo!!!