PDA

View Full Version : Spikes silence is deafening

GvilleBills
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
I thought for sure Brandon Spikes was a no brainer for us... Does Pepper know something? Maybe the phones are lighting up on the down low? I dunno.

The thing that strikes me weird is the rest of the league. Just perplexing to me...
Never would've thought of Spikes as a tier 3 FA.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it is strange how silent news about him has been. Hopefully no news is good news for Buffalo.

gonzo1105
03-13-2014, 08:19 PM
It goes to show that fans dont really know crap. Its just like the draft. Everyone expected Spikes to be a prime target but maybe he has attitude issues which have been documented. When none of the 32 teams are even bringing you in right now that tells you something. Its like when a guy keeps dropping in the draft and fans are all pissing and moaning how can we keep passing on this guy and goes 4 rounds later. Well fans dont have all the info and the only thing they have been fed is what the media gives them. So when the media is wrong the fans throw their arms in the air like the GM's are way off.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM
It goes to show that fans dont really know crap. Its just like the draft. Everyone expected Spikes to be a prime target but maybe he has attitude issues which have been documented. When none of the 32 teams are even bringing you in right now that tells you something. Its like when a guy keeps dropping in the draft and fans are all pissing and moaning how can we keep passing on this guy and goes 4 rounds later. Well fans dont have all the info and the only thing they have been fed is what the media gives them. So when the media is wrong the fans throw their arms in the air like the GM's are way off.

Given the opportunities afforded other talented players, for what are probably more serious transgressions, it's puzzling there has been absolutely zero activity thus far for Spikes. There's always a GM somewhere willing to overlook some off the field stuff if he can acquire talent.

streetkings01
03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
He's a 2 down LB and this is a passing league. Why pay premium $$$ for a guy that will play less then half of the defensive snaps.

Mr. Miyagi
03-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I want Jameel McClain. Not sure why he's not making much news either.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:53 PM
He's a 2 down LB and this is a passing league. Why pay premium $$$ for a guy that will play less then half of the defensive snaps.

They can make it a passing league all they want...winning still starts with stopping the run, and it always will.

Fixxxer
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Me thinks he's a tremendous douchebag as a teammate and person.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 08:58 PM

I dunno...could be. He's getting a ton of props, and pics of him with fans, on his twitter account.

Scumbag College
03-13-2014, 08:58 PM

He played for the Patriots...so he has to be a douchebag.

YardRat
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
lol...great point.

Skooby
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
I can give a S-less, make anyone running the ball fresh meat & assist Kiko in creating fear.

BillsFever21
03-13-2014, 09:39 PM
He is a good player in the run game but too many people are overrating him because he is only a 2 down player. It's not like he is elite and has never had more then 92 tackles in a season. I'd like to have him because we need someone who can stop the run along with LB's period but not on a big money contract. He is one dimensional for run stopping only. A liability in coverage and nothing out of the pass rush either.

I would start somewhere around with the contract that D"Quell Jackson got which was an average of 5.5 million and 10.1 in guaranteed money. Jackson is older but a better player then Spikes. Then guys like Stephen Tulloch has a similar contract. I would give Spikes somewhere in a 4 million average give or take. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 years-14-18 million with around 7 million in guaranteed money. That would put him in the top 20 of ILB money.

X-Era
03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Rumor is the Bills will probably not go after Spikes...

Maybe we go after Woodyard now? Angerer and Daryl Smith are still out there.

JoeMama
03-13-2014, 09:42 PM
They can make it a passing league all they want...winning still starts with stopping the run, and it always will.

No, winning "starts" with the right QB/coach combo. Anything else is a bonus.

A good run D is great to have, don't get me wrong, but is insufficient in and of itself to create a winner.

The Seahawks brought some attention back to emphasizing run D by winning the Superbowl but there's still not a premium on it like there was in the 80s and 90s.

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
I hate brandon spikes because he is a dirty mother ****er. I would hate him less if he was a buffalo bill.

BuffaloRedleg
03-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Getting him would make this free agency good to go in my books.

I'm pretty unhappy with how things have gone so far, but all things considered that could change pretty quickly.

Byrd and Spikes would have been something to really show this team means business big time though.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Byrd is slow and overrated. Any time a running back got to the second level he was worthless.

Buffalo Billy Bison
03-14-2014, 12:27 AM

Our problem is and has been, stopping the run! Spikes is a thumper and his forte is stopping the run! We need to get him in here!

YardRat
03-14-2014, 05:32 AM

Well it's a topic for a different thread, but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree. QB's win in the regular season, defense wins championships.

A good run D is great to have, don't get me wrong, but is insufficient in and of itself to create a winner.

That's why I said 'it starts with', and didn't say 'stop the run and you win'. No single factor is sufficient enough to win entirely on it's own.

The Seahawks brought some attention back to emphasizing run D by winning the Superbowl but there's still not a premium on it like there was in the 80s and 90s.

It only brought attention back to those who keep forgetting that defense wins titles...a philosophy that some others have maintained, and been proven correct, all along.

pmoon6
03-14-2014, 05:41 AM

The Seahawks brought some attention back to emphasizing run D by winning the Superbowl but there's still not a premium on it like there was in the 80s and 90s.If teams can run on you, they will do it all day long. The idea that one facet of the offense is a be all end all is dumb. Balance, my Son, Balance.

Yasgur's Farm
03-14-2014, 05:51 AM
I'm wondering if he was tight with Aaron Hernandez... And maybe that's keeping teams away.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 05:54 AM
Well it's a topic for a different thread, but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree. QB's win in the regular season, defense wins championships.

No, we can make it a topic for this thread.

You can't say winning "starts" with run D.

In the last ten years, only franchise QBs with the right coaches have won Superbowls.

You can't say the same about those teams having a good run D. Because a lot of them didn't.

So that's that.

YardRat
03-14-2014, 06:06 AM
No, we can make it a topic for this thread.

You can't say winning "starts" with run D.

In the last ten years, only franchise QBs with the right coaches have won Superbowls.

You can't say the same about those teams having a good run D. Because a lot of them didn't.

So that's that.

OK...I'll play.

Define 'franchise QB'.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-14-2014, 06:49 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/brandon_spikes_thanks_ribs_patriots_on_his_way_out.html

He's going back for sure

GvilleBills
03-14-2014, 06:54 AM
You can have great coverage, and a great QB fits in it for a completion. Those are the breaks, line up and make them be perfect again.

When a third string RB is going for 7 yards a pop, that's a different level of demoralized. The while defenses shoulders start to hang.

It's unfortunate, but it seems Spikes may not be in the cards if the rumors X-Era has seen are true. McClain is gone, and Woodyard is slight of build and not the run stopper that Spikes is.
Spikes would've been a thumper with a side of nasty identity that this D needs.
I won't give up hope til he's signed elsewhere.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 07:19 AM
If teams can run on you, they will do it all day long. The idea that one facet of the offense is a be all end all is dumb. Balance, my Son, Balance.

Again, I'm not saying run D isn't important. It can put you over the hump if you already have the right qb/coach, but otherwise it won't.

I'm saying YR is off the deep end for saying winning "starts" with run D. That's so detached from reality, it shouldn't be up for discussion.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 07:26 AM
OK...I'll play.

Define 'franchise QB'.

Most recent SB winning QBs...

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco (overrated and not my idea of "franchise" but he was unstoppable that postseason, BTW the Niners had the better run D that year, how come they didn't win it all?)
Russell Wilson (DEN and SEA were tied at #7 for run D, but it was pass D that put SEA over the top in that game)

So no, I don't buy your lousy argument that "winning" starts with the run D.

It's still about QB/HC. Run D is nice but secondary.

Yasgur's Farm
03-14-2014, 09:01 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/brandon_spikes_thanks_ribs_patriots_on_his_way_out.html

He's going back for sureSorry... I don't see anything from that article that suggests that his return to the Pats is a possibility.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Sorry... I don't see anything from that article that suggests that his return to the Pats is a possibility.
Bad sarcasm. He's not going back there.

Yasgur's Farm
03-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Bad sarcasm. He's not going back there.Ahh... I get it! Actually pretty funny.

YardRat
03-14-2014, 09:23 AM

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco (overrated and not my idea of "franchise" but he was unstoppable that postseason, BTW the Niners had the better run D that year, how come they didn't win it all?)
Russell Wilson (DEN and SEA were tied at #7 for run D, but it was pass D that put SEA over the top in that game)

Nice list, but you still need to define 'franchise quarterback'.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Nice list, but you still need to define 'franchise quarterback'.

Just look at the names on that list and the results speak for themselves. Flacco's not my idea of a franchise QB but the rest are. So draw your conclusions about my definition from that.

All other things held equal, the only equation that truly matters in the modern NFL is QB+HC=SB

The days of Trent Dilfer hoisting a Lombardi trophy are over.

So what are you getting at?

better days
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Just look at the names on that list and the results speak for themselves. Flacco's not my idea of a franchise QB but the rest are. So draw your conclusions about my definition from that.

All other things held equal, the only equation that truly matters in the modern NFL is QB+HC=SB

Flacco is more like Trent Dilfer than any other QB on that list.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

I think a better point would be looking at their run Ds, since that is the argument here.

Going by Y/A against
2013: #9
2012: #7
2011: #23
2010: #31
2009: #26
2008: #1
2007: #8
2006: #32
2005: #1
2004: #11
2003: #6
2002: #4
2001: #21

There are obviously very strong run Ds in that group, but there are also some atrociously bad ones too.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks, Mr. Redundant, but I already said Flacco is the worst of that group.

But he's still light years better than Dilfer.

Flacco has more yards and touchdowns in 6 years than Dilfer had HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

So what inane point are you trying to make?

Or is this just more insipid buffoonery like that thread where you were like "ITS KEWL IF WE DONT RESIGN ANYONE, LOL, BUFFALOZ NOT 4 EVERYONE!"

IlluminatusUIUC
03-14-2014, 09:49 AM

True, but in that postseason he was completely electric.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 09:53 AM
I think a better point would be looking at their run Ds, since that is the argument here.

Going by Y/A against
2013: #9
2012: #7
2011: #23
2010: #31
2009: #26
2008: #1
2007: #8
2006: #32
2005: #1
2004: #11
2003: #6
2002: #4
2001: #21

There are obviously very strong run Ds in that group, but there are also some atrociously bad ones too.

Thanks?

I think that illustrates my point.

pmoon6
03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Nice list, but you still need to define 'franchise quarterback'."Franchise" QB is just another BS moniker the media invented like #1 WR. It just means a pretty good starting QB. that will be with the team awhile. Is E.J. Manuel or Robert Griffin franchise QBs? We don't know yet.

pmoon6
03-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I love stats guys. You can be the 15th worst against the run and only 5 yards per game separates you from number 10.

YardRat
03-14-2014, 05:38 PM

I would rather not draw my own conclusions. You maintain that a 'franchise' QB is a top priority, and you list some names, so there must be some definition that you have that sets parameters for how you determine which QB's are worthy of the designation, and which aren't.

What is your definition of a 'franchise QB'?