• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Ty Powell to start?

Doug Whaley is on WGR right now and was just talking about the LB position.

1. Right now the starting OLBs are Alonso and Rivers.
    2. Lawson will be a swing guy at OLB and DE
    3. The MLB position is undecided, but if they keep it in house they are "exicted" about Ty Powell.

I think I might cry. Or drink.

Or both
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Re: Ty Powell to start?

Well, the more that shakes down from free agency the more I think we could possibly see the team try to trade down again this year and possibly go after Mosely. Only other option is taking BPA in round one and look to grab an ILB in round 2. We need a higher draft pick if we expect them to start on day one. What else is out there at ILB? Spikes is the only starter I can imagine but he's not a 3 or 4 down backer.
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• gonzo1105
      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't worry so much. Their not that excited with Powell if they already brought in Jasper Brinkley and Jameel McClain for visits. I would suspect that Buffalo is going to use their 2nd rounder on a Mike backer. I wouldn't mind seeing Borland at 41.

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Spikes name has been circulating around with Buffalo....
        I have a feeling Bills have an offer in for him but he is waiting to see what else is out there....
        Just a hunch
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
          Doug Whaley is on WGR right now and was just talking about the LB position. 1. Right now the starting OLBs are Alonso and Rivers.2. Lawson will be a swing guy at OLB and DE3. The MLB position is undecided, but if they keep it in house they are "exicted" about Ty Powell.I think I might cry. Or drink.Or both
          I thought he also said they would continue to look at FA's for the MLB spot.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

DARRYL SMITH
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
              I thought he also said they would continue to look at FA's for the MLB spot.
              Yes, hence the "is undecided" and "if they keep it in house" parts.

There really is not much left - maybe Spikes.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                Yes, hence the "is undecided" and "if they keep it in house" parts.There really is not much left - maybe Spikes.
                Maybe Daryl Smith or Wesley WoodyardSince we like 1st rounders that haven't done much so far how about Rolando McClain

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
                  Spikes name has been circulating around with Buffalo....
                  I have a feeling Bills have an offer in for him but he is waiting to see what else is out there....
                  Just a hunch
                  I think you're correct... I think Spikes is waiting because his offers are low... I think his offers are low because there is some info on the guy... Maybe attitude, drugs, or even close association with Hernandez.

So let's say we go with Spikes at MLB... Obvious passing situation occurs... Spikes comes out, Alonzo moves from OLB to MLB, Lawson moves from DE to OLB, Hughes comes in at DE.

I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS!!

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

If we don't land a legit MLB in free agency, we may have to rethink moving Kiko outside.

Replacing an MLB via the draft is risky. What are the chances we land another Kiko?

There are a lot more Kelvin Sheppards out there than Kiko Alonsos.

Our defense is SO close to being good, it would be stupid to roll the dice on wacky experiments and miss an opportunity to make this defense special.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

I think that is coach-speak from Marrone. They are looking for a MLB in free agency, he is just covering himself if they don't find one.

I'd say it is pretty clear they are going to be more of a 4-3 like Detroit last season. Moving Alonso to WLB sets him up to be the DeAndre Levy-role in this defense (Look up Levy's numbers, that is the play-maker at LB in this defense).

Lawson seems like the odd guy out, he really is a 3-4 OLB, and not a great fit in this defense. He isn't a DE.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                        If we don't land a legit MLB in free agency, we may have to rethink moving Kiko outside.

Replacing an MLB via the draft is risky. What are the chances we land another Kiko?

There are a lot more Kelvin Sheppards out there than Kiko Alonsos.

Our defense is SO close to being good, it would be stupid to roll the dice on wacky experiments and miss an opportunity to make this defense special.
                        There is no reason to rethink moving Kiko outside no matter what we do. He needs to be outside in order to fully utilize his potential. He's not a run stuffing mike.

- - - Updated - - -

What concerns me the most here is that they want to move a collegiate DE to MLB and not the tradition OLB role you see. Powell (to my knowledge) has never played Mike before, he's got lots of athleticism and size so maybe it works out. Just not a move you hear happen very often.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          There is no reason to rethink moving Kiko outside no matter what we do. He needs to be outside in order to fully utilize his potential. He's not a run stuffing mike.
                          Yeah he sucks at that.

Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                            Yeah he sucks at that.

Yes because clearly a one play gif where he actually fails to make the tackle is the best way to illustrate your point.

If anything the athleticism he displayed on this play shows you even more why he needs to be moved outside where that speed and athletic ability will be better suited.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What concerns me the most here is that they want to move a collegiate DE to MLB and not the tradition OLB role you see. Powell (to my knowledge) has never played Mike before, he's got lots of athleticism and size so maybe it works out. Just not a move you hear happen very often.
                              But it worked so well with Moats . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X