PDA

View Full Version : Ty Powell to start?

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Doug Whaley is on WGR right now and was just talking about the LB position.

1. Right now the starting OLBs are Alonso and Rivers.
2. Lawson will be a swing guy at OLB and DE
3. The MLB position is undecided, but if they keep it in house they are "exicted" about Ty Powell.

I think I might cry. Or drink.

Or both

jpdex12
03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Well, the more that shakes down from free agency the more I think we could possibly see the team try to trade down again this year and possibly go after Mosely. Only other option is taking BPA in round one and look to grab an ILB in round 2. We need a higher draft pick if we expect them to start on day one. What else is out there at ILB? Spikes is the only starter I can imagine but he's not a 3 or 4 down backer.

gonzo1105
03-14-2014, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't worry so much. Their not that excited with Powell if they already brought in Jasper Brinkley and Jameel McClain for visits. I would suspect that Buffalo is going to use their 2nd rounder on a Mike backer. I wouldn't mind seeing Borland at 41.

tampabay25690
03-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Spikes name has been circulating around with Buffalo....
I have a feeling Bills have an offer in for him but he is waiting to see what else is out there....
Just a hunch

X-Era
03-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Doug Whaley is on WGR right now and was just talking about the LB position. 1. Right now the starting OLBs are Alonso and Rivers.2. Lawson will be a swing guy at OLB and DE3. The MLB position is undecided, but if they keep it in house they are "exicted" about Ty Powell.I think I might cry. Or drink.Or bothI thought he also said they would continue to look at FA's for the MLB spot.

The King
03-14-2014, 08:07 AM
DARRYL SMITH

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2014, 08:08 AM
I thought he also said they would continue to look at FA's for the MLB spot.

Yes, hence the "is undecided" and "if they keep it in house" parts.

There really is not much left - maybe Spikes.

X-Era
03-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Yes, hence the "is undecided" and "if they keep it in house" parts.There really is not much left - maybe Spikes.Maybe Daryl Smith or Wesley WoodyardSince we like 1st rounders that haven't done much so far how about Rolando McClain:couch:

Yasgur's Farm
03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Spikes name has been circulating around with Buffalo....
I have a feeling Bills have an offer in for him but he is waiting to see what else is out there....
Just a hunchI think you're correct... I think Spikes is waiting because his offers are low... I think his offers are low because there is some info on the guy... Maybe attitude, drugs, or even close association with Hernandez.

So let's say we go with Spikes at MLB... Obvious passing situation occurs... Spikes comes out, Alonzo moves from OLB to MLB, Lawson moves from DE to OLB, Hughes comes in at DE.

I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS!!

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 08:44 AM
If we don't land a legit MLB in free agency, we may have to rethink moving Kiko outside.

Replacing an MLB via the draft is risky. What are the chances we land another Kiko?

There are a lot more Kelvin Sheppards out there than Kiko Alonsos.

Our defense is SO close to being good, it would be stupid to roll the dice on wacky experiments and miss an opportunity to make this defense special.

GingerP
03-14-2014, 08:52 AM
I think that is coach-speak from Marrone. They are looking for a MLB in free agency, he is just covering himself if they don't find one.

I'd say it is pretty clear they are going to be more of a 4-3 like Detroit last season. Moving Alonso to WLB sets him up to be the DeAndre Levy-role in this defense (Look up Levy's numbers, that is the play-maker at LB in this defense).

Lawson seems like the odd guy out, he really is a 3-4 OLB, and not a great fit in this defense. He isn't a DE.

DraftBoy
03-14-2014, 10:10 AM
If we don't land a legit MLB in free agency, we may have to rethink moving Kiko outside.

Replacing an MLB via the draft is risky. What are the chances we land another Kiko?

There are a lot more Kelvin Sheppards out there than Kiko Alonsos.

Our defense is SO close to being good, it would be stupid to roll the dice on wacky experiments and miss an opportunity to make this defense special.

There is no reason to rethink moving Kiko outside no matter what we do. He needs to be outside in order to fully utilize his potential. He's not a run stuffing mike.

- - - Updated - - -

What concerns me the most here is that they want to move a collegiate DE to MLB and not the tradition OLB role you see. Powell (to my knowledge) has never played Mike before, he's got lots of athleticism and size so maybe it works out. Just not a move you hear happen very often.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 10:10 AM
There is no reason to rethink moving Kiko outside no matter what we do. He needs to be outside in order to fully utilize his potential. He's not a run stuffing mike.

Yeah he sucks at that.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/136/files/2013/10/VvYffKj.gif

DraftBoy
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Yeah he sucks at that.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/136/files/2013/10/VvYffKj.gif

Yes because clearly a one play gif where he actually fails to make the tackle is the best way to illustrate your point.

If anything the athleticism he displayed on this play shows you even more why he needs to be moved outside where that speed and athletic ability will be better suited.

EDS
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM

- - - Updated - - -

What concerns me the most here is that they want to move a collegiate DE to MLB and not the tradition OLB role you see. Powell (to my knowledge) has never played Mike before, he's got lots of athleticism and size so maybe it works out. Just not a move you hear happen very often.

But it worked so well with Moats . . .

better days
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Doug Whaley is on WGR right now and was just talking about the LB position.

1. Right now the starting OLBs are Alonso and Rivers.
2. Lawson will be a swing guy at OLB and DE
3. The MLB position is undecided, but if they keep it in house they are "exicted" about Ty Powell.

I think I might cry. Or drink.

Or both

There's a tear in my beer....................Hank Jr.

Yeah I hope they aren't excited like they were excited about Brown last year.

We NEED Spikes.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Yes because clearly a one play gif where he actually fails to make the tackle is the best way to illustrate your point.

If anything the athleticism he displayed on this play shows you even more why he needs to be moved outside where that speed and athletic ability will be better suited.

He made that play happen by getting to McGahee first. And he was hanging onto him the whole time. That's hardly a missed tackle. But sure, dog him on one of his best plays of the season...

And this notion that he's ill fitted against the run is stupid.

I'm okay with sliding him outside but we need a plan for MLB.

Kelvin Sheppard is proof enough of what a mistake it is to rely on a bad player at MLB.

DraftBoy
03-14-2014, 11:46 AM
He made that play happen by getting to McGahee first. And he was hanging onto him the whole time. That's hardly a missed tackle. But sure, dog him on one of his best plays of the season...

And this notion that he's ill fitted against the run is stupid.

I'm okay with sliding him outside but we need a plan for MLB.

Kelvin Sheppard is proof enough of what a mistake it is to rely on a bad player at MLB.

I don't agree that's one of his best plays of the season. The second pick v. Baltimore where he goes to the ground to pick the ball off the turf, the screen pass play v. the Dolphins, or the shed and tackle play v. the Browns all spring to mind as better plays than the one in the gif.

I agree we need a plan at MLB, but that plan should not in any way involve Alonso.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't agree that's one of his best plays of the season. The second pick v. Baltimore where he goes to the ground to pick the ball off the turf, the screen pass play v. the Dolphins, or the shed and tackle play v. the Browns all spring to mind as better plays than the one in the gif.

I agree we need a plan at MLB, but that plan should not in any way involve Alonso.

You're crazy, that play was awesome.

And if you can only think of three plays were better, I still think it counts as one of his best plays.

I still insist what happens at MLB matters. If we don't get somebody good or we suffer some catastrophic injury at the position, we can't have another Sheppard out there. A bad MLB set the entire defense so far back prior to Kiko, that necessity should come into play.

DraftBoy
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
You're crazy, that play was awesome.

And if you can only think of three plays were better, I still think it counts as one of his best plays.

I still insist what happens at MLB matters. If we don't get somebody good or we suffer some catastrophic injury at the position, we can't have another Sheppard out there. A bad MLB set the entire defense so far back prior to Kiko, that necessity should come into play.

It was awesome, but doing some kind of awesome athletic play isn't what I use to base how good a play is or not. Plus to be completely honest I'm comparing that leap to what Lavar Arrington used to do at PSU, except he caught the RB square.

You're forgetting were moving to a more traditional 43, Kiko as an ILB in a 34 base is not the same as Kiko as a MLB in a 43 base. There are large differences between those two positions.

JoeMama
03-14-2014, 12:11 PM
It was awesome, but doing some kind of awesome athletic play isn't what I use to base how good a play is or not. Plus to be completely honest I'm comparing that leap to what Lavar Arrington used to do at PSU, except he caught the RB square.

You're forgetting were moving to a more traditional 43, Kiko as an ILB in a 34 base is not the same as Kiko as a MLB in a 43 base. There are large differences between those two positions.

You're not understanding my objection.

It's not about what Kiko can or cannot do. I'm sure he can handle whatever assignment he gets.

I'm concerned with a dud MLB dragging the entire D down with him. It's an important position and we've seen first hand how one guy can sink the overall performance of the D.

DraftBoy
03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
You're not understanding my objection.

It's not about what Kiko can or cannot do. I'm sure he can handle whatever assignment he gets.

I'm concerned with a dud MLB dragging the entire D down with him. It's an important position and we've seen first hand how one guy can sink the overall performance of the D.

No I assure you I am, my concern is that he can not handle it.

Night Train
03-14-2014, 03:17 PM
We'll add 2-4 ILB's via FA, the draft and post draft signings.

They talk about needing them and aren't blind to that need. Not worried.

feldspar
03-14-2014, 03:24 PM
To be honest, I didn't even know this TY Powell character was even on the team.

Reading up on him, if he actually starts then somebody is mentally deficient.

YardRat
03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Considering Spikes is in town, I'm pretty confident Powell won't be the starter. If they can't rope in Brandon, they will certainly bring in another couple of guys via FA and most likely go ILB somewhere in the first two rounds of the draft.