PDA

View Full Version : Now Spikes is signed...

Jry44
03-14-2014, 09:25 PM
According to Joe Buscaglia on twitter...
According to the AP's @john_wawrow, the #Bills have come to terms with LB Brandon Spikes on a contract.

Fixxxer
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Buffalo Rumblings ‏@BuffRumblings 4m

.@john_wawrow reports that the #Bills have agreed to terms with Brandon Spikes. http://sbn.to/1fYvlxb

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 09:36 PM
I still dislike him.

Fixxxer
03-14-2014, 09:36 PM
John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 1m

Monetary terms of LB Brandon Spikes contract with #Bills have not yet been revealed.

Jry44
03-14-2014, 09:37 PM
I still dislike him.

Oh.... ok?

Novacane
03-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Are these guys credible?

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 09:39 PM
https://twitter.com/BrandonSpikes55/status/252151393857724416

psubills62
03-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Never really thought he was that great. I seem to recall that Schwartz had some success with the bigger type of LB's, though, so I'll wait and see.

Jry44
03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Are these guys credible?

Yes. Wawrow is with the associated press, and Joe Buscaglia covers the Bills for WGR. I feel like he covers the team better than anyone that I know of. He wouldn't throw BS out there.

mrbojanglezs
03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
only a 1 year deal

Jry44
03-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Never really thought he was that great. I seem to recall that Schwartz had some success with the bigger type of LB's, though, so I'll wait and see.

If nothing else, he's a solid depth player.

DesertFox24
03-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Might not be a bad signing. We could still draft a MLB in the draft and let him be solid depth for a year then maybe take over if Spikes does not want to stay beyond a year.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 09:45 PM
only a 1 year deal

I don't blame the Bills only signing him for a year. He was out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

Mace
03-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Okay, I admit I am happy about it. He's so going to be mean to New England twice.

A 1 year these days is a "prove something" contract. I'm willing to let him try, the swine.

Mace
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't blame the Bills only signing him for a year. He was out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

Not really, last part of it was that he was a disciplinary problem and blew off meetings. I'm not sure it improves your thoughts, but his knee is probably good.

jimbohastle51
03-14-2014, 09:54 PM
A 1yr prove it deal is the ideal contract to make. You own his rights till march of the next year so after the season if the team likes what it see's then they have a few months to work out an extension or start talks in season but have time to get it done. This deal works out better for buffalo then spikes. Probably around 2.85mil-3.2mil for 1yr is my guess.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Not really, last part of it was that he was a disciplinary problem and blew off meetings. I'm not sure it improves your thoughts, but his knee is probably good.

Better get your facts straight.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/06/patriots-put-brandon-spikes-on-injured-reserve/

BillsFever21
03-14-2014, 09:57 PM
One year deal works out for me. I didn't want to get into a big money guaranteed contract with him. I'm going to guess anywhere from 3.5-4.5 million for the year.

DBrown77
03-14-2014, 09:59 PM
He's a D-bag, but now he's our D-bag.

Go Bills

Beebe
03-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I still hate that he flexed his arm when FRED got hurt, but I welcome him now if,and only if he does that to the pats.

Mace
03-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Better get your facts straight.

Always do, correct me.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/14/fred-smerlas-gives-fair-warning-brandon-spikes-questions-character-commitment/

http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/article-1/Brandon-Spikes-Both-sides-could-benefit-from-fresh-start/619f30f9-8073-4193-a9c6-cab6b554114e

So anyway....

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Always do, correct me.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/14/fred-smerlas-gives-fair-warning-brandon-spikes-questions-character-commitment/

http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/article-1/Brandon-Spikes-Both-sides-could-benefit-from-fresh-start/619f30f9-8073-4193-a9c6-cab6b554114e

So anyway....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/06/patriots-put-brandon-spikes-on-injured-reserve/

The Beef
03-14-2014, 10:06 PM
My rundown:

Spikes didn't really want to come to Buffalo, but did want to stick it to the Pats for 1 year.

Pepper Johnson did not hurt in the recruiting. Spikes can at least look around and see another person he is familiar with willingly come to Buffalo.

There no doubt Schwartz wanted a mean SOB like Spikes to bring a nasty face to the defense.

There is not a high demand for a LB that is a liability in coverage, obviously. Spikes will likely be a journeyman for the rest of his career. He's not going to drop 20 pounds and turn into Sam Cowart. He's a big nasty run plugger.

Unless, he really embraces the fans and the city. Fans will love this guy for the style he plays. He's a complete *******, this defense needs guys like that.

If he can turn around the run D and be a force in short yardage, it's a huge win for the team.

Last, I'm excited to see this cat and Kiko play ball together. Hopefully the execution is there. It's pretty obvious to me that this defense isn't going to look a whole lot like Pettine's dies year ago. I hope they still manage to bring pressure and force turnovers, but schematically i just don't know if well see the variety in alignments that allowed the defense to generate so much pressure. If the staff manages to put players in positions to win one on one battles, the whole defense including Spikes, should be fun to watch.

gr8slayer
03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Only a two down LB, but he's about as good a two down LB as you'll find.

BillsFever21
03-14-2014, 10:10 PM
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported a short time later that the deal (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/444671290050244609) is for one year at $3.25 million, plus incentives, citing someone who has seen the contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334269/article/brandon-spikes-agrees-to-oneyear-contract-with-bills

Perfect price for one season. About right on with what I wanted.

Mace
03-14-2014, 10:12 PM

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/03/Injury-Update-Patriots-Brandon-Spikes-healthy-and-ready-to-move-on-from-Patriots.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8086/free-agent-brandon-spikes-visiting-bills

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/brandon_spikes_eager_to_move_on

Plus, Pepper Johnson being pretty well regarded, would not really harm Pepper Johnsons rep, having just coached Spikes, by sitting quietly and looking out the window when anyone asked him, since he previously even got in Haynesworth's face and doesn't appear a shrinking violet.

Or you're saying Pepper Johnson wants to leave NE to sabotage his own career and the Bills can't sign anyone who doesn't test well and the LB coach suspects is a gimp ?

Alrighty then, had enough yet ?

ServoBillieves
03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Only a two down LB, but he's about as good a two down LB as you'll find.

You read this or you watched him play? I've read this but also watched him play and he can stick in if necessary.

Mace
03-14-2014, 10:35 PM
You read this or you watched him play? I've read this but also watched him play and he can stick in if necessary.

It's iffy. Me, I'm not positive he can't but not sure he can because it comes down to defensive alignment. It can't be a bad thing though if he feels he has something to prove. gr8slayer is about right though at face value.

I really don't like Spikes but it has not much to do with seeing him as a player. You can accept he's as good a 2 down lb as you can find and hope he can prove to be a 3 down version. The signing just can't hurt anything though and that's a good thing.

gr8slayer
03-14-2014, 10:37 PM
I've watched every game of his football career (from college on). Hell of a player, and a violent bastard.

GvilleBills
03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Glad to have him. Spikes will curb stomp an opponent, that's why you want him on your team.
I've longed for a defense that other teams wince at seeing on the schedule. Hope those days are coming...

GvilleBills
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Great shape heading into draft

Turf
03-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I like. This team needs some attitude.

better days
03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
I've watched every game of his football career (from college on). Hell of a player, and a violent bastard.

Spikes was injured last year as was Spiller, Gilmore, & EJ.

Expect the 4 of them to vie for comeback player of the year honors.

GvilleBills
03-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Spikes was injured last year as was Spiller, Gilmore, & EJ.

Expect the 4 of them to vie for comeback player of the year honors.
That would be awesome.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2014, 11:32 PM
http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/03/Injury-Update-Patriots-Brandon-Spikes-healthy-and-ready-to-move-on-from-Patriots.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8086/free-agent-brandon-spikes-visiting-bills

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/brandon_spikes_eager_to_move_on

Plus, Pepper Johnson being pretty well regarded, would not really harm Pepper Johnsons rep, having just coached Spikes, by sitting quietly and looking out the window when anyone asked him, since he previously even got in Haynesworth's face and doesn't appear a shrinking violet.

Or you're saying Pepper Johnson wants to leave NE to sabotage his own career and the Bills can't sign anyone who doesn't test well and the LB coach suspects is a gimp ?

Alrighty then, had enough yet ?

What the ****. Are you ******ed? You said his season wasn't end by a knee injury. I provided proof that it was and you're still running around in circles. Why?

Buffalo Billy Bison
03-14-2014, 11:53 PM
I still dislike him.

Maybe that's just what the doctor ordered, a little Mcnasty! Williams, Daueus, Williams, Hughes, Rivers, Spikes, Alonzo, with Lawson in a Hybrid roll! Wow, that's starting to look like a defense!

bigbub2352
03-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Love this move....our d has missed this kind of nasty for 10 yrs

better days
03-15-2014, 12:18 AM
I still hate that he flexed his arm when FRED got hurt, but I welcome him now if,and only if he does that to the pats.

Fred fumbled the ball & walked off the field.

If that happens next year to a Pats* player & Spikes flexes, you will be cheering.

jimmifli
03-15-2014, 12:23 AM
The defense has almost everything it needs to be top 5 against the run:

Elite Dline, with 2 of the highest rate DT's in the NFL
Elite run stopping MLB
Elite tackling machine WLB

Question marks at SLB and SS, but Mario played the run pretty well sealing the edge and forcing runners inside, so who ever wins the SLB job should be able to cheat a little. Searcy is a bit of a question mark, but if you're frequently relying on a safety to stop the run you've already got some problems. I think the loss of Byrd will hurt the pass defense, but overall this is a huge upgrade at a position we REALLY needed some help with.

Mace
03-15-2014, 12:24 AM
What the ****. Are you ******ed? You said his season wasn't end by a knee injury. I provided proof that it was and you're still running around in circles. Why?

Because they are all links that say his season was probably not ended by a knee injury. And I didn't even include the followup to your one link from PFT that says, wow, his season may not have been ended by a knee injury. You want it, here :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/brandon-spikes-on-patriots-both-sides-would-benefit-from-fresh-start/

although there were reports that missed meetings played a role in the Patriots’ decision to shut him down.

Whoops !

So I have sort of given you link after link, which if you read them, wonderboy, say it probably wasn't his knees, including a contradiction of your only feeble link by the same site, and it seems to confuse you. I don't think I'm the ******ed one.

I'm not real sure what part of it you aren't comprehending, help me out some and maybe give me another link to prove the point you don't have ?

better days
03-15-2014, 12:26 AM
The defense has almost everything it needs to be top 5 against the run:

Elite Dline, with 2 of the highest rate DT's in the NFL
Elite run stopping MLB
Elite tackling machine WLB

Question marks at SLB and SS, but Mario played the run pretty well sealing the edge and forcing runners inside, so who ever wins the SLB job should be able to cheat a little. Searcy is a bit of a question mark, but if you're frequently relying on a safety to stop the run you've already got some problems. I think the loss of Byrd will hurt the pass defense, but overall this is a huge upgrade at a position we REALLY needed some help with.

The biggest thing is the Bills have a DC who is noted as having a GOOD defense VS the run.

Tatonka
03-15-2014, 12:44 AM
i see lots of sources saying hes a two down lb, but i also see several pass defenses in his stats and the play above where he stepped in front of the TE after reading daltons eyes to make the interception.. id have to say he is not quite as bad as some would say.. i like the signing a lot.. he hits like a Mack truck.. and we know kiko can cover.. so im sure it wouldnt be difficult to make sure that spikes doesnt end up mismatched in most cases.. hope it works out. like some said, if he comes in and makes some big plays and big stops, fans will love him. im not a big fan of the one year deal, but i guess he can prove his value this year.

jimmifli
03-15-2014, 12:50 AM
The biggest thing is the Bills have a DC who is noted as having a GOOD defense VS the run.
His results are all over the place so it's tough to say. I do like hot shot coordinators that get humbled as head coaches though. They seem to be much better the second time around.

I'm optimistic about the D, I think the under performed last season, losing Byrd will hurt but we've got 2 NFL LB's now - twice as many as last season and that's going to make a massive difference.

kishoph
03-15-2014, 02:33 AM

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/1/11/5298366/lb-brandon-spikes-placed-on-ir-for-being-late-to-meeting

YardRat
03-15-2014, 05:07 AM
This is so much better than waking up to a thread where the player left town unsigned.

sudzy
03-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I'm OK with Spikes being a two down player. Kiko will be one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL. The Bills run defense sucks, they need a LB that get teams into 3rd and longs.

better days
03-15-2014, 07:03 AM
i see lots of sources saying hes a two down lb, but i also see several pass defenses in his stats and the play above where he stepped in front of the TE after reading daltons eyes to make the interception.. id have to say he is not quite as bad as some would say.. i like the signing a lot.. he hits like a Mack truck.. and we know kiko can cover.. so im sure it wouldnt be difficult to make sure that spikes doesnt end up mismatched in most cases.. hope it works out. like some said, if he comes in and makes some big plays and big stops, fans will love him. im not a big fan of the one year deal, but i guess he can prove his value this year.

He had a knee injury last year & still played 53% of the snaps.

The year before he played 63% of the snaps. When healthy, he moves well for a big guy & hit hits like a truck.

The King
03-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Spikes is wearing Takeo's number #51

Meathead
03-15-2014, 07:36 AM
so whats the real story with the one-year deal?

Meathead
03-15-2014, 07:42 AM
3.25 mil seems about a mil short of what a starting mlb fa should get. how did the bills manage to get him at that price? who benefits from the one year deal? why wouldnt the bills (or spikes for that matter) want to get a multi year deal done now?

Skooby
03-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Spikes is wearing Takeo's number #51

I have to find me a old Spikes jersey right now to buy on the cheap.

gr8slayer
03-15-2014, 07:50 AM

He's pretty bad against the pass, man. He's just very straight line, and doesn't change direction well. But what do you expect from a 250 (played as high as 265) guy. If he has to play pass coverage in Buffalo, they'll probably ask him to play zone.

The Jokeman
03-15-2014, 10:33 AM
so whats the real story with the one-year deal?

Easy Spikes had a lackluster year in 2012 and hoping to have a great year this year and cash in 2014.

better days
03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Easy Spikes had a lackluster year in 2012 and hoping to have a great year this year and cash in 2014.

All I can say about Spikes is Pats* fans wish he had joined an NFC team instead of the Bills.

That should tell you all you need to know.

The Jokeman
03-15-2014, 10:59 AM
All I can say about Spikes is Pats* fans wish he had joined an NFC team instead of the Bills.

That should tell you all you need to know.
I'm not saying Spikes was a bad signing just explaining why he only signed the one year deal. I think Spikes definitely improves our run defense. Yet the question remains what effect will losing a Pro Bowl Safety have on the defense. All and all it's easy to say we have more talent on defense now then we did at the end of last year. Yet the questions surrounding scheme/players if it will show on the field. I hope so Yet we have yet to really improve the offense much. Chris Williams might be a better LG than what we had last year but to me the biggest weakness on offense was lack of receiving threats and still see that today. There's still time for us to add a veteran WR in free agency and if we do I'll give Whaley a decent grade for this offseason yet if we don't do anything more then I'd have to give him a C.

Meathead
03-15-2014, 12:34 PM
the obvious conclusion is that spikes didnt get much attention on the fa mkt and essentially settled for the bills. my question is why. unless theres some significant bonus we havent heard about, at 3.25 hes not even getting quality starter money

perhaps his attitude prollem is legit. weve heard about his missing team meetings, disciplinary issues, fines and suspensions but it didnt seem like enough to taint him this badly. they let a lot of stuff go in the nfl so he proabably crossed the line in the minds of most gms, at least enough to seriously hurt his value

well lets hope he grows out of it here, becomes a good professional, and makes marcia rue the day ruuuuue the day

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Because they are all links that say his season was probably not ended by a knee injury. And I didn't even include the followup to your one link from PFT that says, wow, his season may not have been ended by a knee injury. You want it, here :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/brandon-spikes-on-patriots-both-sides-would-benefit-from-fresh-start/

Whoops !

So I have sort of given you link after link, which if you read them, wonderboy, say it probably wasn't his knees, including a contradiction of your only feeble link by the same site, and it seems to confuse you. I don't think I'm the ******ed one.

I'm not real sure what part of it you aren't comprehending, help me out some and maybe give me another link to prove the point you don't have ?

Dumb.

SquishDaFish
03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Awesome now I can break out my spikes pro bowl Jersey

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Awesome now I can break out my spikes pro bowl Jersey

Is brandon spikes usually #51? If so that's bad ass. I still have my takeo jersey.

tatersalad
03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
yea in tennesee he had keith bullock for years id say he had success

Jry44
03-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Whoops !

Get 'em Mace!!

TigerJ
03-18-2014, 11:18 PM
yea in tennesee he had keith bullock for years id say he had successBullock was way more athletic. He was more like a Karlos Dansby. Spikes has poor range, which is why he is a liability in pass D. He's instinctive and knows which hole to fill in run D. I think his limitations are why he only got a one year deal. The Bills can live with him as a 2 down backer while they address some other areas of the team. Don't discount Ty Powell getting reps at MLB as the season wears on. He's nearly as big and a heck of a lot faster. He just needs the experience.

better days
03-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Bullock was way more athletic. He was more like a Karlos Dansby. Spikes has poor range, which is why he is a liability in pass D. He's instinctive and knows which hole to fill in run D. I think his limitations are why he only got a one year deal. The Bills can live with him as a 2 down backer while they address some other areas of the team. Don't discount Ty Powell getting reps at MLB as the season wears on. He's nearly as big and a heck of a lot faster. He just needs the experience.

Or maybe the one year contract was because of the knee injury.

NO MLB will be on the field for 3rd & long. The Bills will be in a nickle defense.

And expect that a lot this year.

jimmifli
03-19-2014, 12:23 AM
He's instinctive and knows which hole to fill in run D.
You're selling him short if that's what you think makes him good against the run.

He refuses to be blocked.

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/MbQzDZKYFzu/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There isn't another player on our roster that shed a block like that once last season. Spikes does it every game.

Ginger Vitis
03-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Spikes and Talib claiming what everyone already knew.. Belicheat falsifies injury reports

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/spikes-talib-say-patriots-file-false-injury-reports/