PDA

View Full Version : what's your opinion now of this free agency period?

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-15-2014, 12:38 AM
I know a lot of you have been *****ing about how we suck and can't do anything right, etc, etc, etc. (And that's not to say you're completely far off base)

But, now with some sorely needed o line depth, starting LB, 3rd running back, as well as a potential 3rd cornerback, how do you all feel now?

Personally, I feel very good and I think we are in good position in the draft as we addressed some of our glaring needs in free agency. We still have plenty of holes, but, to me, I still believe priority number one is shoring up that O-line a little more. Knee J cannot get the ball to those awesome first round wide outs if he's on his back clutching his knee all year.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Meathead
03-15-2014, 01:13 AM
i am so done with this team

kishoph
03-15-2014, 02:18 AM
i am so done with this team

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/Trolling.gif

Novacane
03-15-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm happy. Would like to see more done to help the OL.

Crisis
03-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Letting Byrd walk for free was stupid. Signing that scrub guard Williams was stupid.

Everything else I'm okay with.

BuffaloRedleg
03-15-2014, 04:19 AM
I don't think we are better overall, but Spikes is was the one signing that I needed. Byrd was a lot to lose but whatever it is done.

We will be better at the run, which was our biggest weakness.

Now we need to shore up the O-Line and see what EJ has to offer. It's all about enabling him, so we'll see.

swiper
03-15-2014, 04:40 AM
They are in pretty decent shape heading into the draft. They still need a QB though.

YardRat
03-15-2014, 05:11 AM
So far, so good...still time left, though.

Night Train
03-15-2014, 05:38 AM
I like it.

The way one should always view the off-season is the Draft is primary. FA just takes a measured degree of pressure off the draft.

The Bills drafted 2 Safties a year ago, knowing Byrd was leaving. Then found out Aaron Williams could play safety pretty well. They prepared for that departure.

The OG Williams will be interesting to watch, since he's already been declared a failure by many.( like I listen..I'll watch in the fall ). The rest look to be very good signings.

Whaley did far more the last 4 days than I ever thought he would.

The great part is still to come... The extremely deep draft in May. More gifts under the tree. Can't wait.

GvilleBills
03-15-2014, 06:25 AM
Ummm, boner jamz?
Whaley has been active as hell, we are in perfect position heading into the draft. Totally paraphrasing here, but he said FA is about not going into the draft needy.
Mission accomplished.

Side note: If STs don't improve vastly, Crossman should be beaten in the town square.

sudzy
03-15-2014, 06:44 AM
They are in pretty decent shape heading into the draft. They still need a QB though.

Agree with that, but, the QB situation is not going to change. The Best we can hope for is a stud OT or WR in the draft, so when the Bills are ready to admit the screwed up on EJ next year, the transition is made easier.

justasportsfan
03-15-2014, 06:47 AM
we will be active more in June 1

tampabay25690
03-15-2014, 06:50 AM
Like it.
Don't think it's close to over yet...
The draft will be a good way to finally and great value at each pick and not reach!

Meathead
03-15-2014, 07:31 AM
and just think, to get the money to sign all these free agents russ brandon had to follow ralphs courier for a few weeks, helicopter into ralphs compound with a seal team squadron, subdue ralphs ***** of a sister, hack into ralphs commodore 64, download his bank information, and divert funds that normally would have ended up simply mothballed in ralphs wallet

Jan Reimers
03-15-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm a little more optimistic. I think, considering the loss of Byrd, we have about broken even. But we need to continue to add players, because a 6-10 team in the throes of a 14 year playoff drought needs to do better than break even.

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2014, 07:38 AM
I was unhappy with the inactivity after the first day, but in the past few days they have filled many of the needs we had, a guard, a corner opposite Gilmore, LB depth, and a goal line back. We needed all of those guys. Also Chandler was resigned to keep out big red zone target. I will be happy to go I not the draft with BPA including Mike Evans to go with our WR Corp. We could still grab a RT in FA and I'll be happy.

X-Era
03-15-2014, 07:42 AM
So far, so good...still time left, though.
I'm going to do some cap math when the contracts come out but I think we're close to out of money. Still need that 6 mill reserve for the rookies.

X-Era
03-15-2014, 07:46 AM
I was unhappy with the inactivity after the first day, but in the past few days they have filled many of the needs we had, a guard, a corner opposite Gilmore, LB depth, and a goal line back. We needed all of those guys. Also Chandler was resigned to keep out big red zone target. I will be happy to go I not the draft with BPA including Mike Evans to go with our WR Corp. We could still grab a RT in FA and I'll be happy.Exactly.

I'm happy with our depth. It's been a real problem for years. This was a depth FA period with the exception of Spikes. But even there nothing precludes a rookie from winning any of these jobs.

Which is perfect. You have guys that can start at many positions but who also are not paid so much that they must start. Which means rookies can beat them out and we're not stuck forcing rookies to start.

We still need WR and RT but even there we have guys that have been in our system and can play.

So we can add a starting RT, a stud young WR, and then still have 5 more picks to spend... Probably on a G, TE, ILB, QB, who knows.

gr8slayer
03-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I've liked it from the start. People get too carried away with big names, but big names don't necessarily win championships. In today's NFL, depth wins championships. You don't go and start spending stupid money until you're absolutely certain that you're a contender, and you're in "win now" mode. The Bills are still in rebuild mode until a franchise QB is ready to go. Until then, spend smart, keep the cap number strong, and once you're ready to go chase a title, spend like a mad person... oh yeah, and keep drafting well or none of it matters.

Tatonka
03-15-2014, 08:13 AM
yesterday on sirius, they said we were one of the top teams as far as cap money available. prior to the dixon and spikes signings. im sure we still have plenty left.

love the LB help we added. Spikes and Rivers are big upgrades.

Glad chandler is back. to go with a hopefully healthy Moeaki, and Gragg as the receiving target.

Not sold on Williams, but they seemed to really want him and he seems pumped to be here. so im ok with it for now, as it cant be worse.

Graham i like a lot. Baltimore def wanted to keep him and several teams were after him.

Dixon and graham also help special teams a lot.

overall, we are in good shape with the draft and june 1st cuts looming.

gr8slayer
03-15-2014, 08:15 AM
More importantly, we're in great shape for the 2015 off-season. If E.J. proves that he's the guy, you spend like a mad person in 2015.
yesterday on sirius, they said we were one of the top teams as far as cap money available. prior to the dixon and spikes signings. im sure we still have plenty left.

Glad chandler is back. to go with a hopefully healthy Moeaki, and Gragg as the receiving target.

Not sold on Williams, but they seemed to really want him and he seems pumped to be here. so im ok with it for now, as it cant be worse.

Graham i like a lot. Baltimore def wanted to keep him and several teams were after him.

Dixon and graham also help special teams a lot.

overall, we are in good shape with the draft and june 1st cuts looming.

X-Era
03-15-2014, 08:21 AM
More importantly, we're in great shape for the 2015 off-season. If E.J. proves that he's the guy, you spend like a mad person in 2015.I'm anxious to see the contracts and how 2015 will look as far as cap now. I haven't even scanned that situation but you could easily be right... We may be in great shape to set ourselves up for a playoff push.

It all rides on EJ though... No pressure.

X-Era
03-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Over the cap has us at 103 mill in 2015 for the top 51 with no dead money. The cap may push 140 mill so we would have lots of space. Too early yet, we'll see.

gr8slayer
03-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Yup, if he doesn't figure it out, it doesn't matter who's out there. I still have faith in the guy, he showed flashes last year. I really want to see the Bills go OL, WR, and play making TE early. They've got to help him out.
I'm anxious to see the contracts and how 2015 will look as far as cap now. I haven't even scanned that situation but you could easily be right... We may be in great shape to set ourselves up for a playoff push.

It all rides on EJ though... No pressure.

stuckincincy
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I know a lot of you have been *****ing about how we suck and can't do anything right, etc, etc, etc. (And that's not to say you're completely far off base)
But, now with some sorely needed o line depth, starting LB, 3rd running back, as well as a potential 3rd cornerback, how do you all feel now?
Personally, I feel very good and I think we are in good position in the draft as we addressed some of our glaring needs in free agency. We still have plenty of holes, but, to me, I still believe priority number one is shoring up that O-line a little more. Knee J cannot get the ball to those awesome first round wide outs if he's on his back clutching his knee all year.

Agree 100% in targeting OL in the draft.

BUF needed to be active in FA - I'm especially pleased about the Graham signing.

Mr. Miyagi
03-15-2014, 10:48 AM
With all that said, we still have plenty of space to bring in a couple more guys. This is a luxury pick but if we could grab Jared Allen to be on the other side of Mario, this defense will be scary.

The Jokeman
03-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Losing Mike Pettine and his coaching staff F
Signing Jim Schwartz and other coaching staff improvements B
Losing Byrd F
Giving Aaron Williams his extension C-
Re-signing Dan Carpenter C
Signing Chris Williams B-
Signing Corey Graham B
Singing Keith Rivers B-
Re-signing Scott Chandler C+
Signing Brandon Spikes B+
Signing Anthony Dixon C

Overall Grade: C+

As I still think we haven't improved our offense enough to better this team. The defensive ST improvements are marginal at best and don't see them as significant in most game impacts. It might make the difference in 1 game but if the Bills are going to jump the hurdle be a winning franchise again we still need to find a reliable pass catcher for EJ preferably in a veteran form. I'm still hoping on a James Jones. Yet be okay with a Josh Morgan or Nate Burleson or Kenny Britt.

Turf
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm surprised at the quality and number of players that quickly signed with us. Maybe Whaley and Marrone have a good reputation, and the aura of Buffalo isn't as bad as we think.

The Jokeman
03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm surprised at the quality and number of players that quickly signed with us. Maybe Whaley and Marrone have a good reputation, and the aura of Buffalo isn't as bad as we think.

None of the new guys we've brought ins free agents are considered elite or top of the line free agents. Yet each of them are better then the guy they are replacing which bodes well for us. Yet again think we still need a veteran receiver to really turn things around. As if we're going to turn things around we have to start beating teams like the Chiefs or Chargers or Browns at home next year and don't do something dumb and lose to the Vikings at home or the Raiders or Texans on the road. A win against Chicago Bears and/or Lions too would go a long way to making us a playoff team.

Don't Panic
03-15-2014, 01:15 PM
I think the key was to get to the point where the only issue to really debate was QB, and given the fact that we have very deep OT and WR classes in the draft this year, you'd have to say they addressed needs pretty nicely. Byrd's replacement will be under some pressure, but do we really have another true weak spot on D? I don't see it. STs should be strong, RB is deep... big receiver/TE and RT and were good to go. Then it's time to see what EJ is really made of.

MikeInRoch
03-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Losing Mike Pettine and his coaching staff F
Signing Jim Schwartz and other coaching staff improvements B
Losing Byrd F
Giving Aaron Williams his extension C-
Re-signing Dan Carpenter C
Signing Chris Williams B-
Signing Corey Graham B
Singing Keith Rivers B-
Re-signing Scott Chandler C+
Signing Brandon Spikes B+
Signing Anthony Dixon C

Overall Grade: C+

As I still think we haven't improved our offense enough to better this team. The defensive ST improvements are marginal at best and don't see them as significant in most game impacts. It might make the difference in 1 game but if the Bills are going to jump the hurdle be a winning franchise again we still need to find a reliable pass catcher for EJ preferably in a veteran form. I'm still hoping on a James Jones. Yet be okay with a Josh Morgan or Nate Burleson or Kenny Britt.

You are grading them on losing Pettine? You do know they literally had no choice in the matter, right?

OpIv37
03-15-2014, 02:33 PM

We got OL depth- we need OL starters.
We did nothing about TE or WR.
We filled a big hole at MLB but created another one at S.

The 3rd CB and 3rd RB help but won't make or break the season.

It's very disconcerting that the D fills one hole while creating another and the top 15 or so guys on O are exactly the same. I don't know how people can expect anything from EJ if we can't protect him and don't give him receiving targets.

OpIv37
03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
You are grading them on losing Pettine? You do know they literally had no choice in the matter, right?

That may be true, but the end result is a negative effect on the football team whether the FO caused it or not.

psubills62
03-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm OK with it. Would have liked to see Byrd stay, but like I've said before, signing those Tier 2 and Tier 3 FA's generally give you the best value. I think this is the right way to go about FA overall. Now whether they're actually choosing the right players to get value out of is another question, but based on last year, I'll trust what they're doing. I think they identified some talent like Lawson, Hughes, etc. (and put Williams at safety), and hopefully they're doing the same this year.

OpIv37
03-15-2014, 02:37 PM
And btw I hate the Chandler signing. I guess it's better than letting him walk, but what we really need is an upgrade at TE and there is no way this team is going to spend on another TE after laying out nearly $5.5 mil for Chandler.

The Jokeman
03-15-2014, 02:40 PM

It's all in part of the offseason. So yes we should be graded on it whether we could control it or not.

YardRat
03-15-2014, 03:16 PM
That may be true, but the end result is a negative effect on the football team whether the FO caused it or not.

And you know the 'end result' is a negative effect how?

better days
03-15-2014, 03:45 PM
And btw I hate the Chandler signing. I guess it's better than letting him walk, but what we really need is an upgrade at TE and there is no way this team is going to spend on another TE after laying out nearly $5.5 mil for Chandler.

There is no better TE than Chandler that the Bills had any hope of getting.

better days
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM

At the end of the day, Pettine going to the Browns may be the best thing that happened this offseason.

We will have to see how well the Browns stop the run VS how well the Bills stop the run next season.

DynaPaul
03-15-2014, 03:59 PM
B+

Generalissimus Gibby
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM
I love being the Kansas City Athletics of the NFL. We're loaded with talented depth that scouts will get to evaluate for a couple years before making a decision.

OpIv37
03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
We've seen this rerun before. 3 defensive coordinators in 3 years. If you think that's good, you're delusional.

Every year at this time someone pulls the "how do you know?" card but I've been right ten years running.

Fletch
03-16-2014, 10:52 AM

HTF anyone comes to the conclusion you just came to is beyond me. We sign a handful of mid-tier players, lose one of our best, with the best signed otherwise (Spikes), not being his equal talent wise, and this is a step forward?

At least we know who keeps subsidizing the team and giving the org what they want, namely your money, so that they can continue this nonsense and keep getting away with it.

Thanks. LOL

mayotm
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
We've seen this rerun before. 3 defensive coordinators in 3 years. If you think that's good, you're delusional.

Every year at this time someone pulls the "how do you know?" card but I've been right ten years running.You've been right about everything for your entire life. It's quite remarkable.

Fletch
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM

He's in great health if it weren't for the cancer that gives him a week to live.

Fletch
03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
I've liked it from the start. People get too carried away with big names, but big names don't necessarily win championships. In today's NFL, depth wins championships. You don't go and start spending stupid money until you're absolutely certain that you're a contender, and you're in "win now" mode. The Bills are still in rebuild mode until a franchise QB is ready to go. Until then, spend smart, keep the cap number strong, and once you're ready to go chase a title, spend like a mad person... oh yeah, and keep drafting well or none of it matters.

Big names like Mario, Bledsoe, Stroud, TO, Dockery, and Spiller you mean?

All stupid money except for Spiller who's on his first contract. And as a reminder, Mario's the highest paid defensive player in the entire league, do you really think that he's anywhere close to the best? Please say no.

The Bills have been in rebuild mode since Polian left.

Meathead
03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
you have to be one hell of a player to make up for four quality starters. byrd might be one of those players but the bills can get at least 75% of what theyd have with byrds best, plus the four other quality starters. short black williams and searcy give them at least that 75% and probably more so the net is a gain over what you would have had if you retained byrd

thus on this team right now the right value call is to spend byrds money elsewhere and roll with the very solid starting safety tandem you already have in your pocket. boo yah nappy hair

Fletch
03-16-2014, 11:09 AM
You've been right about everything for your entire life. It's quite remarkable.

Ops been pretty spot on for the most part for years.

What's funny is how everyone, a seriously dwindling everyone now that it's blatant, takes this stance that things are going to be better until they're not, then all of a sudden everyone talks as if they weren't saying that things would be better.

Fletch
03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
you have to be one hell of a player to make up for four quality starters. byrd might be one of those players but the bills can get at least 75% of what theyd have with byrds best, plus the four other quality starters. short black williams and searcy give them at least that 75% and probably more so the net is a gain over what you would have had if you retained byrd

thus on this team right now the right value call is to spend byrds money elsewhere and roll with the very solid starting safety tandem you already have in your pocket. boo yah nappy hair

If you were talking about Mario I'd agree with you completely. Biggest waste of money since Bledsoe and that idiotic Fitzpatrick signing.

Low-end top tier sack performance with no run support. Great signing there.

Fletch
03-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Rivers is nothing more than Kawika Mitchell ever was. He's underachieved since he was drafted. He's a mid-tier player, nothing more.

It might be an upgrade, but that's simply more a testimony to how poor our LB corps was last year. After Alonso it was garbage.

Meathead
03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
de is sorta like qb on offense, you usually have to overpay. they got mario bc they thought they were on the cusp and he was the best sacking de avail. on a good team a sack machine rises sharply in value, on a bad one its a waste

if they had to do it over they certainly woulda passed on mario. but now that hes on your team and hasnt reached the max bloated years of his contract yet theres little benefit to acting on him now. might as well see if you can turn the thing around fast where you can really use his one-dimensional talent of getting to the qb

byrd was never going to be that much of a game changer anyway, almost no safety ever is. they got most of byrd in williams and three other safeties they like and spent that money in places of need. im cool with that

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-16-2014, 12:04 PM
HTF anyone comes to the conclusion you just came to is beyond me. We sign a handful of mid-tier players, lose one of our best, with the best signed otherwise (Spikes), not being his equal talent wise, and this is a step forward?

At least we know who keeps subsidizing the team and giving the org what they want, namely your money, so that they can continue this nonsense and keep getting away with it.

Thanks. LOL

You clearly have a reading comprehension issue. NOWHERE did I say that everything was beautiful and honky-dory. I merely said I like the overall direction we are going and that we have placed ourselves in a better position come draft time. Also, I clearly stated that we still have many holes. And as much as I did like Jairus Byrd, our issue last year was not pass defense, it was the run D, and the Spikes signing helps that immensely.

MikeInRoch
03-16-2014, 07:19 PM

And if the grades are for "how good is the team?", fine. But if it's "how well did the front office do?" then it's not fair to grade it.

YardRat
03-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Every year at this time someone pulls the "how do you know?" card but I've been right ten years running.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/archive/index.php/t-215427.html

The Bills should cut McKelvin and Aaron Williams and sign two good CB's. I know, CB's are expensive and good ones are hard to find, so actually doing that is not likely. Still, neither of these two clowns are good enough.

Yeah...spot on...the last 10 years. That wasn't too hard to find.

better days
03-16-2014, 10:23 PM

It's very disconcerting that the D fills one hole while creating another and the top 15 or so guys on O are exactly the same. I don't know how people can expect anything from EJ if we can't protect him and don't give him receiving targets.

The Bills did something about TE at the end of last season, they signed Tony Moeaki.

He is better than any TE they could have signed since then.

The Bills season will rise or fall on the play of EJ.

Raptor
03-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Extending A.Williams, smart move
Letting Byrd go for nothing is a fail
Chris Williams will be a fail
Graham Decent move, makes sense
Rivers Meh move but nor horrible
Dixon Makes sense ST'er underrated RB
Spikes will be one and done

Overall id say below average so far. The team is a little deeper but the issue as it been for the past decade is the lack of elite talent. Playmakers is what this team has been missing year in and year out and they just let one walk for nothing

Historian
03-17-2014, 06:30 AM
I think they positioned themselves well to be flexible on draft day.

And I'm happy about resigning Carpenter. He was our best pickup last year, lol.

mysticsoto
03-17-2014, 09:58 AM

??? You complain about creating holes but then later complain we resigned Chandler. I think it is MUCH more important to fill the MLB role than a Safety. Aaron Williams is a bit slow for a CB, but should be fine for Safety. We do need OL starters which I expect will be filled on Day 1.

There's only so much they can do in FA, and they have. The depth on this team is much better than it has been on a long time.

Get some OL starters to help give EJ more time and confidence...is what we need now. Why the fuss over what's been done is beyond me...other than your yearly, I feel like complaining posts coming out.

If you feel they should have done other things during the FA, then please list them...

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
I liked the Chandler, Rivers, Dixon, and Spikes signings. I thought both Williams got too much money, and my opinion on Byrd is well-documented on here.

tomz
03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
I liked the Chandler, Rivers, Dixon, and Spikes signings. I thought both Williams got too much money, and my opinion on Byrd is well-documented on here.

Hey, I just realized that we added ANOTHER Williams! Since we are called the 'Bills' the signing makes much more sense!

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Hey, I just realized that we added ANOTHER Williams! Since we are called the 'Bills' the signing makes much more sense!

It explains the Aaron extension for sure. We risked dropping below our Williams threshold.

Tatonka
03-17-2014, 10:53 AM

OP, keep in mind that Chris Gragg was drafted last year and he is a tall fast receiving TE. he showed a few nice plays last year as a rookie and there is a good chance that the team likes what they see and will utilize him more this year. Guys like Chandler are also great because of the huge red zone target he provides. Chandler has been a consistent target since he got here.

and the sleeper to really watch here is Moeaki. He was highly regarded coming out. He cant seem to stay healthy in college or the pros, but when he is healthy, he has been very good at both levels. He is still young (was picked 2 picks before Jimmy Graham) and has a chance to make a real impact. He is a complete te, with speed, hands and blocking ability.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BrnaYlpEnjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IlluminatusUIUC
03-17-2014, 11:01 AM
OP, keep in mind that Chris Gragg was drafted last year and he is a tall fast receiving TE. he showed a few nice plays last year as a rookie and there is a good chance that the team likes what they see and will utilize him more this year. Guys like Chandler are also great because of the huge red zone target he provides. Chandler has been a consistent target since he got here.

and the sleeper to really watch here is Moeaki. He was highly regarded coming out. He cant seem to stay healthy in college or the pros, but when he is healthy, he has been very good at both levels. He is still young (was picked 2 picks before Jimmy Graham) and has a chance to make a real impact. He is a complete te, with speed, hands and blocking ability.

Gragg is fast, but he's on the smaller tweenish side as a TE. He's an interesting project though.

Tatonka
03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
again, he is likely our third te unless he shows something. Moeaki is the guy im excited about.

BillsFever21
03-17-2014, 04:51 PM
y.

I'm sure he is pumped to be here. He found somebody looney enough to give him 3.5 per year and 5.5 million guaranteed. He would be pumped to play in Sibera for that money.

DraftBoy
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Kinda meh on it.

Not a fan of adding a two down LB who can't cover in Spikes but it does fill a need.

Chris Williams signing is a move I just don't get. Way too much money for a guy who has been just plain bad since he entered the NFL.

Cary Williams is a nice upside signing, gave him good coin but he could workout well.

Carpenter was just meh, wish we didn't waste that pick on Hopkins last year.

Byrd leaving hurts a lot.

Chandler would of been great as a #3 TE option but not as a #1 or #2. Not sure I've ever seen a 6'7 TE who can't block.

No help on the OL, at WR, or on the DL leaves me quite puzzled. Not sure they got any better, also not sure they got much worse either. Just meh.

GingerP
03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Cary Williams is a nice upside signing, gave him good coin but he could workout well.

You mean Corey Graham. Cary Williams plays for the Eagles.

OpIv37
03-17-2014, 06:02 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BrnaYlpEnjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope you're right and one of those guys step up. I think Chandler is a good red zone target, but beyond that he's what I would call "serviceable." He's not completely useless but he's also never going to amaze anyone or take over a close game.

better days
03-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Gragg is fast, but he's on the smaller tweenish side as a TE. He's an interesting project though.

Eric Ebron: 6'4" 245

Chris Gragg 6'3" 244

Yeah, Ebron is so much bigger, he is worth the #9 pick LOL.

stuckincincy
03-19-2014, 11:06 AM
FWIW, Here's CBS Sports pundit Prisco's team-by-team "grades" on the FA moves:

..."The Bills got a nice value signing in Ravens corner Corey Graham, who can play in the slot and outside. I also like the move to sign Brandon Spikes to a one-year deal to play middle linebacker. Now they can move Kiko Alonso outside, where he will flourish. They signed depth with linebacker Keith Rivers and running back Anthony Dixon. They also re-signed tight end Scott Chandler and kicker Dan Carpenter. They lost safety Jairus Byrd to the Saints, which has to hurt. They chose to give Aaron Williams, the other safety, a contract extension. Grade: C"...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24490706/team-by-team-free-agency-grades-bright-bucs-top-this-honor-roll

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Chris Gragg 6'3" 244

I never said he was worth it because he was bigger, he's worth it because he's a better player. Ebron's a receiving TE primarily and that's what I want.

stuckincincy
03-19-2014, 11:41 AM
I never said he was worth it because he was bigger, he's worth it because he's a better player. Ebron's a receiving TE primarily and that's what I want.

Well, If BUF has their 1st round peepers on him, they could surely extract a trade-down price.

better days
03-19-2014, 11:43 AM

NO, you said Gragg is on the smallish tweener size.

So I guess you are saying Ebron is also on the smallish tweener size.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2014, 11:55 AM
NO, you said Gragg is on the smallish tweener size.

So I guess you are saying Ebron is also on the smallish tweener size.

Yes, he is. Usually I consider the low end of a traditional TE to be 6'5, 255ish.

DraftBoy
03-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Chris Gragg 6'3" 244

Gragg isn't 6'3, he's 6026.

better days
03-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Gragg isn't 6'3, he's 6026.

LINK. And who gives a **** about that discrepancy?

Like that makes any difference at all.

Fletch
03-23-2014, 09:54 AM
de is sorta like qb on offense, you usually have to overpay. they got mario bc they thought they were on the cusp and he was the best sacking de avail. on a good team a sack machine rises sharply in value, on a bad one its a waste

if they had to do it over they certainly woulda passed on mario. but now that hes on your team and hasnt reached the max bloated years of his contract yet theres little benefit to acting on him now. might as well see if you can turn the thing around fast where you can really use his one-dimensional talent of getting to the qb

byrd was never going to be that much of a game changer anyway, almost no safety ever is. they got most of byrd in williams and three other safeties they like and spent that money in places of need. im cool with that

They got Mario because they actually believed ..., or is it BILL-ieved, all of the media hype that he was one of the best DEs out there, which he clearly isn't, particularly after the pass-rushing is stripped away, he stinks vs. the run. Could be a big part of the reason why our run D hasn't improved since he got here.

We were ranked 28th in rush yardage D and 27th in yards-per-carry the season prior to his arrival. Then we went to 31st/30th, and last year to 28th/23rd, for a two-year average of 29./26.5. no notable improvement whatsoever.

TOs create game-changing situations. Sacks much less so unless it forces a TO. We were ranked 2nd this season in sacks (was it a team/franchise record?), and yet our record did not improve in the least. We logged a bunch of sacks against NO and Atlanta and yet both QBs still had great days and led their teams to mucho points. Turnovers/INTs would have mitigated that more.

This whole thing about Byrd is a major sour-grapes session.

Spikes is great in run-support, one of the best in the league, but he sucks equally in pass D and therefore is not even a true 3-down LB and if he's on the field on pass situations, usually 1st and 3rd downs, he's a liability, not an asset. (for those that actually did their homework. Did the team do their homework?)

I'll trade a 3-down impact player at a key position for that anyday. Having said that, I suppose that it still remains to be seen, but the dropoff from Byrd to what we have now is like the dropoff from Morton's Steakhouse to a McD's hamburger.

Graham is a serviceable, nothing more, CB. He'll start, and I'd rank him in the same ballpark that Drayton Florence was in, nothing more, perhaps a little less.

He has 10 INTs in 7 seasons of starting over in Baltimore, hardly impressive, and it's also hardly because he was a shutdown corner or anything close, he isn't.

As to the rest, depth mush. Nothing even worth noting after that an not one other player that wasn't on the team last year that will help us win games.

Fletch
03-23-2014, 10:04 AM
You clearly have a reading comprehension issue. NOWHERE did I say that everything was beautiful and honky-dory. I merely said I like the overall direction we are going and that we have placed ourselves in a better position come draft time. Also, I clearly stated that we still have many holes. And as much as I did like Jairus Byrd, our issue last year was not pass defense, it was the run D, and the Spikes signing helps that immensely.

Last year it was the run-D because our pass-rush was over-emphasized and good coaches exploited Pettine, who's also therefore highly overrated, and took advantage of our idiotic over focus on the pass-rush as if the number of sacks registered at the end of games would determine the winner. If so, we'd have been 10-5-1.

It's clear that this intellectually defunct organization thought that it was so simple that if they ranked high in sacks then it would propel us to the playoffs. Clearly, yet predictably, that wasn't the case.

I don't think that we're in a better draft position at all. A singularly talented run-stuffing LB will easily be available in the 2nd round, perhaps even in the third. Try finding a ball-hawking FS like that anywhere after the 20th overall.

After that, Graham will be lucky to be the nickel starter.

I don't agree w/ you at all.

Fletch
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Kinda meh on it.

Not a fan of adding a two down LB who can't cover in Spikes but it does fill a need.

Chris Williams signing is a move I just don't get. Way too much money for a guy who has been just plain bad since he entered the NFL.

Carpenter was just meh, wish we didn't waste that pick on Hopkins last year.

Byrd leaving hurts a lot.

Chandler would of been great as a #3 TE option but not as a #1 or #2. Not sure I've ever seen a 6'7 TE who can't block.

No help on the OL, at WR, or on the DL leaves me quite puzzled. Not sure they got any better, also not sure they got much worse either. Just meh.

1st and 3rds are both typically passing downs, so he's not even technically a 2-down LB, Spikes that is.

Don't get me wrong, he's fantastic at run D, but again, that's only helpful on what, 40% of plays?

I agree on the rest, although I think you meant Graham on one of those.

YardRat
03-23-2014, 10:57 AM
They got Mario because they actually believed ..., or is it BILL-ieved, all of the media hype that he was one of the best DEs out there, which he clearly isn't, particularly after the pass-rushing is stripped away, he stinks vs. the run. Could be a big part of the reason why our run D hasn't improved since he got here.

Mario sets the edge as well as anybody. Ability against the run isn't strictly determined by tackles.

We were ranked 28th in rush yardage D and 27th in yards-per-carry the season prior to his arrival. Then we went to 31st/30th, and last year to 28th/23rd, for a two-year average of 29./26.5. no notable improvement whatsoever.

There are 10 other guys on the field. KW and Kiko were bigger detriments to stopping the run than MW. Put some beef in the middle and that should improve dramatically.

TOs create game-changing situations. Sacks much less so unless it forces a TO. We were ranked 2nd this season in sacks (was it a team/franchise record?), and yet our record did not improve in the least. We logged a bunch of sacks against NO and Atlanta and yet both QBs still had great days and led their teams to mucho points. Turnovers/INTs would have mitigated that more.

We also were in the top third of the league in takeaways and that didn't help the W/L record either.

This whole thing about Byrd is a major sour-grapes session.

Byrd wasn't worth the money he was asking for period, especially if Schwartz is going to continue with a cover 1 shell.

Spikes is great in run-support, one of the best in the league, but he sucks equally in pass D and therefore is not even a true 3-down LB and if he's on the field on pass situations, usually 1st and 3rd downs, he's a liability, not an asset. (for those that actually did their homework. Did the team do their homework?)

Why is it necessary to have a 3-down MLB? last I knew, there weren't any league rules against situational substitutions. Defense 101 still starts with stopping the run.

I'll trade a 3-down impact player at a key position for that anyday. Having said that, I suppose that it still remains to be seen, but the dropoff from Byrd to what we have now is like the dropoff from Morton's Steakhouse to a McD's hamburger.

If Byrd were a three-down impact player he actually would have made some plays on a consistent basis that actually, ummmm, had some kind of impact. The drop-off isn't going to be as dire as you tend to indicate IMO, and if our biggest concern is the play of the FS then we're pretty much set in a good situation.

Graham is a serviceable, nothing more, CB. He'll start, and I'd rank him in the same ballpark that Drayton Florence was in, nothing more, perhaps a little less.

Graham won't start, unless McKelvin or Gilmore get hurt. He's very good veteran depth that can start if necessary, nothing more. That being said, having a capable vet that is able to step in is a valuable commodity that we haven't had in years.

He has 10 INTs in 7 seasons of starting over in Baltimore, hardly impressive, and it's also hardly because he was a shutdown corner or anything close, he isn't.

He started his career in Chicago, wasn't a starter there or Baltimore, in all reality. Again...quality depth, and nobody ever claimed Graham was sut down and he certainly isn't getting paid as if he is.

As to the rest, depth mush. Nothing even worth noting after that an not one other player that wasn't on the team last year that will help us win games.

Depth is exactly what helps you win games, so I don't know why anybody would have an issue with improving it.

Fletch
03-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Chris Gragg 6'3" 244

Using that logic Welker at 5'9"/190 is equal to all other WRs of the same dimensions.

You think that's true?

Fletch
03-23-2014, 11:20 AM
FWIW, Here's CBS Sports pundit Prisco's team-by-team "grades" on the FA moves:

..."The Bills got a nice value signing in Ravens corner Corey Graham, who can play in the slot and outside. I also like the move to sign Brandon Spikes to a one-year deal to play middle linebacker. Now they can move Kiko Alonso outside, where he will flourish. They signed depth with linebacker Keith Rivers and running back Anthony Dixon. They also re-signed tight end Scott Chandler and kicker Dan Carpenter. They lost safety Jairus Byrd to the Saints, which has to hurt. They chose to give Aaron Williams, the other safety, a contract extension. Grade: C"...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24490706/team-by-team-free-agency-grades-bright-bucs-top-this-honor-roll

Graham may be the nickel back, he may not even start.

Having said that, for the money he was a good pick-up, but he's not going to transform the team or assist in doing so, into a playoff contender.

As to Spikes, it will put Alonso where he belongs, but as to Spikes, he'll be an equal liability in the passing game that he is an asset in the running game, you'll see. That's why Belicheat was indifferent towards retaining him. We've also all watched NE play and we should know that Spikes was hardly good against the pass.

Fletch
03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Mario sets the edge as well as anybody. Ability against the run isn't strictly determined by tackles.

Again, I disagree completely on Mario. He's hardly even the best pass-rusher in the league either which creates an enormous disparity between him and his "highest-paid-defensive-player-in-the-league" contract as well.

As to the rest of your comments, come on now, really?

We also were in the top third of the league in takeaways and that didn't help the W/L record either.

Byrd wasn't worth the money he was asking for period, especially if Schwartz is going to continue with a cover 1 shell.

So what does that tell you? Think it through.

TOs go a lot further than sacks do, period. FRs and INTs are worth more than sacks. That's all I'm saying. Next year you'll see teams passing on us much more successfully. You'll see. This season was an anomaly as we face few teams that were top ranked passing teams and of those we did, they beat us regardless of the sacks we got.

Why is it necessary to have a 3-down MLB? last I knew, there weren't any league rules against situational substitutions. Defense 101 still starts with stopping the run.

Come on, seriously? How long have you been watching football?

Defense 101 in today's NFL starts with stopping the passing game. The problem is, as we learned this past season, you just can't do that at the complete and utter expense of allowing even the most pedestrian RBs and rushing teams make it look like you're playing Walter Payton in his prime.

Some of us knew this before the team blew its resources trying to generate sacks. Well they got their wish, and well, here we are, again, as fans, standing around with our fan pants around our ankles again.

If Byrd were a three-down impact player he actually would have made some plays on a consistent basis that actually, ummmm, had some kind of impact. The drop-off isn't going to be as dire as you tend to indicate IMO, and if our biggest concern is the play of the FS then we're pretty much set in a good situation.

Again, you joking? Searcy's currently slated to replace Byrd. You're sinking fast here. The dropoff is enormous.

Now, the gain by Spikes is huge too, but I'd argue that we had "Searcy-type-play" from whomever Spikes would replace, but Spikes isn't nearly as versatile at his position as Byrd was at his.

You could be right, but it's unlikely that the gain of Spikes will be a net plus over the loss of Byrd. It's a lot more likely that there's a net negative there.

Graham won't start, unless McKelvin or Gilmore get hurt. He's very good veteran depth that can start if necessary, nothing more. That being said, having a capable vet that is able to step in is a valuable commodity that we haven't had in years.

He started his career in Chicago, wasn't a starter there or Baltimore, in all reality. Again...quality depth, and nobody ever claimed Graham was sut down and he certainly isn't getting paid as if he is.

Depth is exactly what helps you win games, so I don't know why anybody would have an issue with improving it.

That statement about depth is a ridiculous statement. What wins games is overall defense and solid QB play. Period. Look at how "good" Denver's mediocre RBs became (all of a sudden) once Manning showed up. You really think that any of them could come to Buffalo and put up those kinds of numbers? Not a chance in hell.

Also, depth only matters when you don't have a roster full of depth-caliber players that start. If that's the case, as it is here in Buffalo, you need starters, and impact starters. This is exactly why the Bills stink and haven't made the playoffs in a decade and a half and why outside of the Polian era they've only won one playoff game in the NFL apart from Polian's teams or the residuals thereof.

We can have all the depth we want, but if Manuel doesn't develop into something he's never been, then it's all moot. Same for the D, if it doesn't become a well-rounded D, then ditto.

better days
03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Using that logic Welker at 5'9"/190 is equal to all other WRs of the same dimensions.

You think that's true?

No I don't.

I was responding to a post about SIZE ALONE.

YardRat
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Again, I disagree completely on Mario. He's hardly even the best pass-rusher in the league either which creates an enormous disparity between him and his "highest-paid-defensive-player-in-the-league" contract as well.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. What exactly indicates to you that Mario sucks against the run?

As to the rest of your comments, come on now, really?
So what does that tell you? Think it through.

Ummm...you're the one that needs to think it through. It's your contention that TO's have a greater impact, and the increase in sacks didn't amount to more wins. The increase in turnovers didn't either, so your premise is slightly flawed.

TOs go a lot further than sacks do, period. FRs and INTs are worth more than sacks. That's all I'm saying. Next year you'll see teams passing on us much more successfully. You'll see. This season was an anomaly as we face few teams that were top ranked passing teams and of those we did, they beat us regardless of the sacks we got.

Yes, we'll see. Unlike you, I certainly don't think it is a given.

Come on, seriously? How long have you been watching football?

Over 40 years. You?

Defense 101 in today's NFL starts with stopping the passing game. The problem is, as we learned this past season, you just can't do that at the complete and utter expense of allowing even the most pedestrian RBs and rushing teams make it look like you're playing Walter Payton in his prime.

Yeah, think about that...Aren't you one of the posters that point to the 'dramatic' improvement in the defenses ability to defend against the pass because of Byrd's spot in the line-up? Pass defense improved, W-L record didn't. Rush defense still sucked, and so did the W-L record. See the pattern? They can change the rules all they want, winning is still predicated on being able to run and stop the run.

Some of us knew this before the team blew its resources trying to generate sacks. Well they got their wish, and well, here we are, again, as fans, standing around with our fan pants around our ankles again.

***** because we don't generate pressure, ***** when we do. Building a solid defense doesn't happen all at once, it comes in stages. We improved against the pass, we improved getting pressure. We improve against the run, and we'll be competitive.

Again, you joking? Searcy's currently slated to replace Byrd. You're sinking fast here. The dropoff is enormous.

A.Williams is probably slated to replace Byrd, and Searcy will play SS. The drop-off won't be that bad.

Now, the gain by Spikes is huge too, but I'd argue that we had "Searcy-type-play" from whomever Spikes would replace, but Spikes isn't nearly as versatile at his position as Byrd was at his.

How is Byrd versatile? Because he plays three downs? Why would a team have to take out a FS for any play, especially in a cover 1? Hell, A.Williams is a lot more versatile than Byrd, if that is what you are looking for in a FS. Spikes strength certainly isn't coverage, but it's not as if he is a complete liability, and can't rush the passer. Ask Fitz if his jaw is healed yet.

You could be right, but it's unlikely that the gain of Spikes will be a net plus over the loss of Byrd. It's a lot more likely that there's a net negative there.

Depends on how the defense performs this season. I'll take a run-stuffing MLB over a safety valve FS any day.

That statement about depth is a ridiculous statement. What wins games is overall defense and solid QB play. Period. Look at how "good" Denver's mediocre RBs became (all of a sudden) once Manning showed up. You really think that any of them could come to Buffalo and put up those kinds of numbers? Not a chance in hell.

Again, we'll just have to disagree. Every teams experience injuries...the one's that overcome them better have better depth and usually win more.

Also, depth only matters when you don't have a roster full of depth-caliber players that start. If that's the case, as it is here in Buffalo, you need starters, and impact starters. This is exactly why the Bills stink and haven't made the playoffs in a decade and a half and why outside of the Polian era they've only won one playoff game in the NFL apart from Polian's teams or the residuals thereof.

The difference between the Polian era and after is pretty much two fold...1)drafting good players, and 2)wait for it...DEPTH.

We can have all the depth we want, but if Manuel doesn't develop into something he's never been, then it's all moot. Same for the D, if it doesn't become a well-rounded D, then ditto.

Agreed, Manuel needs to progress, and the defense needs to get better against the run. That's why, again 1)EJ gets this season to develop, and 2)the team needs to beef up against the run and improve it's depth.