• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

What losing Byrd bought you...

"Bills Fans: J. Byrd got 9 MM. For $10.5 MM, Bills signed LB B. Spikes, LB K. Rivers, G C. Williams and CB C. Graham. I'll take that trade."

From this view we lost one player and added a starting ILB, CB (#3 CB is a starting spot) and two more quality depth players.

On Spikes and Graham vs. Byrd: Which will have the bigger change due to these moves? Will the run D be much better or will the pass D be much worse?

To me we may lose a bit on pass D although I'd offer that strengthening the #3 CB spot and having a guy who can start at #2 CB if we have an injury strengthens the pass D. But losing Byrd will have a negative impact for sure.

However, on Run D I feel like we may be way better. Spikes at ILB with Kiko at OLB is way better than last years version against the run. Now we may lose a bit at ILB against the pass. And a team like NE will throw in the short and intermediate routes in Spikes territory a lot. And not always on 3rd down. So that level of our pass D will be tested. But again we now have Graham to help cover that area of the field.

My feeling is that we lost a bit on pass D but gained much more on run D and that our defense as a whole is better by losing Byrd and adding Spikes and Graham. Just me.
    Last edited by X-Era; 03-15-2014, 08:14 AM.

• Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: What losing Byrd bought you...

Except they could've signed Byrd and still gotten Spikes and at least one of the other guys.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

You guys forgot the most important thing. It allowed us to resign Mike Caussin. Wooohooo!
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
        Except they could've signed Byrd and still gotten Spikes and at least one of the other guys.
        Maybe. But then we would not have the quality depth and still would have many weaknesses overall.

It's all a matter of choices but I personally think depth is undervalued and I'm glad we addressed it.

If losing one great player makes the team better overall I think it's a win.

It's supposed to be about winning games in the end.
        Last edited by X-Era; 03-15-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Carpenter also was saved thanks to letting Byrd fly.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

I was a huge fan of Byrd's, but the guy got overpaid. Frankly, I'm okay with letting him walk at that price.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

if the bills didnt have two starting caliber safeties ready to go then the case for retaining byrd would be much stronger. but having those two starters changes the value equation, away from byrd and towards positions on the other end of the need spectrum

if you take cb3 graham out of that equation and replace him with te1 chandler then youve now got four starters in positions of need for about the same money as byrd, plus a savings of about five mil for the starting safety duo

same ol bills. i am so done with this team
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Thief
                • Sep 2009

My ONLY issue with losing Byrd is we could have franchised him then traded him.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                  https://twitter.com/DanVanWie/status/444823820483166208
                  "Bills Fans: J. Byrd got 9 MM. For $10.5 MM, Bills signed LB B. Spikes, LB K. Rivers, G C. Williams and CB C. Graham. I'll take that trade."
                  From this view we lost one player and added a starting ILB, CB (#3 CB is a starting spot) and two more quality depth players.
                  On Spikes and Graham vs. Byrd: Which will have the bigger change due to these moves? Will the run D be much better or will the pass D be much worse?
                  To me we may lose a bit on pass D although I'd offer that strengthening the #3 CB spot and having a guy who can start at #2 CB if we have an injury strengthens the pass D. But losing Byrd will have a negative impact for sure.
                  However, on Run D I feel like we may be way better. Spikes at ILB with Kiko at OLB is way better than last years version against the run. Now we may lose a bit at ILB against the pass. And a team like NE will throw in the short and intermediate routes in Spikes territory a lot. And not always on 3rd down. So that level of our pass D will be tested. But again we now have Graham to help cover that area of the field.
                  My feeling is that we lost a bit on pass D but gained much more on run D and that our defense as a whole is better by losing Byrd and adding Spikes and Graham. Just me.
                  I very much like the Graham signing.

I haven't seen enough of Spikes to comment on pass liability - I avoid watching NE.

Williams/Rivers seem like "wait and see" types. Rivers wasn't much with CIN - the locals certainly questioned the pick. I recall him often being late to the action - perhaps he improved while with NYG.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

This is the way to do it. Only have a couple of players with mega-contracts and even the rest out on great players with fair pay. Maintain your depth. Whaley has it right guys and gals. Byrd was a great player but not worth the dough he got from the Saints. I'll trade one mega-contract player for 5 good players anyday of the week.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

The Bills could have afforded all those players plus Byrd.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                        https://twitter.com/DanVanWie/status/444823820483166208

Assuming Schwartz's scheme is as good or better than Pettitne's scheme. That's the big question in my mark. Yet as things stand right now the Bills still need to work on improving the offense (see veteran WR) to move from a bottom 10 team to a middle of the pack/playoff contender. As think the defensive improvements made on talent might only make us a 7-9 team but to be a 9-7 team we still need to fix the offense and honestly I don't think it's fair to ask a rookie alone to improve the offense. As we've seen what CJ Spiller and Robert Woods have done as rookies and I'd venture to say while both have been good players I wouldn't say either one were difference makers again as rookies.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Williams doesn't get 6.5 if they sign Byrd for 9 which makes this thread kind of null.

I guess you can say by not resigning Byrd it allowed to resign Chandler and extend Williams.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                            The Bills could have afforded all those players plus Byrd.
                            Of course they could have, but there would have been less for Ralph's pocket.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Where are all the people who said we would not spend the money meant for Byrd on other players?
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X