X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

A final shot on Byrd

This horse has been beaten to death on this board, but I have to take one more swing at its carcass. It's a character flaw, I admit.

Jairus Byrd's contract details: (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orlea...s/jairus-byrd/)
    Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead
    2014 1,300,000 2,200,000 - 3,500,000 18,300,000
    2015 2,000,000 2,200,000 6,100,000 10,300,000 14,800,000
    2016 7,400,000 2,200,000 100,000 9,700,000 6,600,000
    2017 7,900,000 2,200,000 400,000 10,500,000 4,400,000
    2018 8,400,000 2,200,000 400,000 11,000,000 2,200,000
    2019 8,600,000 - 400,000 9,000,000 -

So what we've got is a contract which has backloaded some very high salaries into 2018 and 2019 to inflate the value of the deal. Byrd will be 32-33 in those seasons, out of his physical prime and likely on the decline of his career. If his play really fell off, they could get out of it in 2017 and save 6.1 million, at a cost of 3/27.9 million. That's the worst case scenario. Considering he will be 32 in 2018 with potential 8.8 million in cap savings, he becomes a prime candidate for a restructure or a cut then, meaning this is really a 4 year/36.2 million deal in all likelihood. Big numbers, but not the 56 million that everyone was flipping over.

But look at that first year cap hit. $3.5 million.

Some Bills 2014 cap hits:
    Aaron Williams 4.29 million
    Erik Pears: 3.4 million
    Brandon Spikes is rumored a 3.5 million.

So Byrd’s first year cap hit, the one that would supposedly cripple us and keep us out of the FA market, was actually less than we paid Williams and the same we paid Spikes. Now sure, the cap hit goes up in subsequent seasons, but so does the salary cap itself. And this is before Earl Thomas gets a new deal to reset the market next offseason.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: A final shot on Byrd

I was expecting it to be a little bit more back-loaded than that, in all honesty.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

wasnt it 28 mil guaranteed. thats still ten mil a season if you terminate after four. id rather have the four starters
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        It's a character flaw, I admit
        put away the Byrd blow up doll it's OVA

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

I'm sure it won't be the "final shot".

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

A couple of things. The o.p. I think we all understood that's what he would get. Firstly, if Buffalo would have offered the exact same deal, he would have likely walked. He, like Jason Peters, wanted out of town. That became clear.

Secondly, you have to hedge your bets somewhat in making these scaled, back-loaded contracts. Do the Saints believe he really has bad issues with his feet or did he make it clear that that was all BS? He, IMO, may have 2 or 3 decent seasons left in him.

So this issue still boils down to 1) he wanted out of Buffalo, 2) he's not all that he claims to be, and, perhaps, 3) Eugene Parker was involved.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Add in Levitre's cap hit for this year while you're at it, then look at 2015.

I don't want to continue the Donahoe/Levy/Brandon as GM years, but I don't want to be in the mess Butler put us in again either.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Jry44
                • Apr 2013

All of these contracts are heavily back loaded now, which is the reason as to why these guys are usually let go 3 or so years into the deal. They basically sign on for the guaranteed money up front. This is why you have such a revolving door of big name players now that you didn't have ten years ago.

Comment

• Jry44
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Add in Levitre's cap hit for this year while you're at it, then look at 2015.

I don't want to continue the Donahoe/Levy/Brandon as GM years, but I don't want to be in the mess Butler put us in again either.
                  I know a few Titans fans, and the consensus is that Levitre was a huge disappointment for them last season. He definitely wasn't worth $8 million a year, and I honestly don't feel like paying him that would have helped this team win 2-3 more games last season either.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

The Bills offered Byrd $10 Mill in the first 3 years.

That is more than he will get in the first 3 years from the Saints.

If they cut him in year 4 he will not get as much as the Bills would have paid him.

Comment

• Jry44
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      The Bills offered Byrd $10 Mill in the first 3 years.

That is more than he will get in the first 3 years from the Saints.

If they cut him in year 4 he will not get as much as the Bills would have paid him.

Wasn't this more rumor than fact?

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
                        It is a rumor, but a number of people reported that the Bills did make that offer.

And the money over the entire contract could still be less than the Saints contract, but if Byrd is cut by the Saints before the end of the contract, he will lose a lot of money because so much is to be paid out at the end.

I said before & I think now more than ever, Byrd will not play for the length of that contract with the Saints.

They will want to restructure it or cut him by year 5.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          I said before & I think now more than ever, Byrd will not play for the length of that contract with the Saints.

They will want to restructure it or cut him by year 5.
                          Absolutely, this contract is more about ego than anything else. He won't see the full amount.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Guess what, he may get into a Revis situation next year. He got 11 mil signing bonus plus 1.3 mil salary this year. Don't be surprised if the day before he's due that 6.1 mil bonus, Saints and hugging over decisions, like, pay Graham or not ... especially if Byrd suffers an injury during the season and the Saints still not superbowl champion (49ers and Seahawks, even Panthers may have a lot to say for that).

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
                              Yup. The same people believe this is true that also believed we offered a head coach candidate $10M a year a few years ago but were turned down.

Those people enjoy being lied to.

Comment

Working...
                              X