PDA

View Full Version : Our Pick At #9 Will Be One Of These 3 Guys

Night Train
03-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Just guessing who will still be there and who would best fit our needs after what happened during this FA period.

OT Lewan - Can start at either OT spot for years. OT's are hard to find and you draft them early to secure one. Moves extremely well for a OT his size.

TE Ebron - Mismatch and someone who would most benefit Manuel. Chandler signed for backup $ and is a security blanket. Moeaki is always a health concern/gamble.

DT Nix - A human double team with Spikes right behind him. No more RB's gashing us between the tackles. People want an older, injured Wilfolk. This makes far more sense.

Those are my 3. Pats sign CB's Revis & Browner, so a rookie WR (slowest developing position) makes little sense to me. Would be invisible. The mismatch is at TE, if you have the right guy.

Deep draft with talent showing well into Saturday but at the top, these are the 3 guys I'm guessing the Bills should be looking at.

Your turn.

Meathead
03-16-2014, 07:57 AM
a or c only f the te

DraftBoy
03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
I think WR Evans or Watkins need to be added to that mix.

Jry44
03-16-2014, 08:02 AM
With the additions on the defensive side of the ball so far, I don't see how we pass on a receiver in a draft that got so much talent at the position. I can almost guarantee that Sammy Watkins won't be there, but Mike Evans might be. I feel like he's the pick. If not, I think we go OT. This team severely lacks a big bodied target in the passing game. You put a Mike Evans type receiver on the outside, added to Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin and we could have a pretty formidable passing attack.

better days
03-16-2014, 08:04 AM
If Lewan is gone, Matthews should be there.

An OT or WR at #9, not a DT that is not needed or a TE.

Jry44
03-16-2014, 08:09 AM

I agree. Unless there was a can't miss, sure thing DT there at 9. You don't draft rotational players at #9 over all when you've been a horrible franchise for 14 years and counting. You have to get a play maker that you hope could have an instant impact at that spot. As for positions, I would be ok with a WR, OT, TE, and a Corner in that spot.

better days
03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
I agree. Unless there was a can't miss, sure thing DT there at 9. You don't draft rotational players at #9 over all when you've been a horrible franchise for 14 years and counting. You have to get a play maker that you hope could have an instant impact at that spot. As for positions, I would be ok with a WR, OT, TE, and a Corner in that spot.

If there were a TE worth the pick at #9 I would be fine with that, I just don't think Ebron is worth that high a pick.

If the Bills could trade down I would be fine with him lower in the rnd. A CB at #9 would be fine as well.

SquishDaFish
03-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Nope one of the top 2 tackles OR, Evans,Watkins,Ebron,Mack

tomz
03-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Lots of the talk on NFL network at the end of the first week of free agency is related to the likelihood of 2 tackles inthe top 5 and possibly Lewan going as early as 6 to Atlanta. It is way up in the air who will be available.

I like the Louis Nix idea and I even like Wilfork. Think about our goal line or short yardage defense packages! I also like Evans.

We should be viewing this not as an immediate fix but drafting for the next few years with the hope that EJ comes along. A big target to go with the rest of the corps is definitely important an dcould develop over the next couple years while providing an immediate mismatch possibility situationally. Kyle Williams is not getting any younger either.

Of course, this is all obviated by the 'stud falling to us scenario' with Watkins or Mack.

better days
03-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Lots of the talk on NFL network at the end of the first week of free agency is related to the likelihood of 2 tackles inthe top 5 and possibly Lewan going as early as 6 to Atlanta. It is way up in the air who will be available.

I like the Louis Nix idea and I even like Wilfork. Think about our goal line or short yardage defense packages! I also like Evans.

We should be viewing this not as an immediate fix but drafting for the next few years with the hope that EJ comes along. A big target to go with the rest of the corps is definitely important an dcould develop over the next couple years while providing an immediate mismatch possibility situationally. Kyle Williams is not getting any younger either.

Of course, this is all obviated by the 'stud falling to us scenario' with Watkins or Mack.

I just don't think Ebron is as elite as some people make him out to be. He may be the best TE in this draft, but that does not mean he will be an elite TE in the NFL.

There could be BETTER TE's available in the draft next year than Ebron.

If the Bills didn't have a massive hole to fill on the OL, I could see a DT drafted, but I think that can wait until next year.

Jry44
03-16-2014, 08:41 AM

I'm not usually a guy that advocates giving up picks to move up a few spots to get a player. However I would be perfectly fine with moving up to grab Watkins if the opportunity were there. He's being touted as a once a decade WR. We need that!

better days
03-16-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm not usually a guy that advocates giving up picks to move up a few spots to get a player. However I would be perfectly fine with moving up to grab Watkins if the opportunity were there. He's being touted as a once a decade WR. We need that!

I would be happy to give up a 3rd rnd pick to land Watkins.

YardRat
03-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I have an aversion to drafting offensive skill players early, unless one is completely convinced they will be a sure-fire stud, or a QB drops in your lap.

OT is a definite need, and nine is as good a place to grab one as any. This is a deep draft for tackles, though.
DT is intriguing...we do need a wide body to pair with Dareus.
If Watkins drops, it would be hard to pass on him.
I want nothing to do with Evans or Ebron that high, and would only consider snagging one of them if we traded back again and secured a couple of picks.

Truth be told, our best case scenario is probably having 3 QB's and 3 OT's go early...that means one of Clowney, Mack or Watkins drops to #9, and let the bidding war begin for those that want to move.

Turf
03-16-2014, 09:54 AM
This thing where routinely draft 8-10 and trade down is getting old. Pick someone with some talent as high as you can would you.

coastal
03-16-2014, 10:07 AM
I would trade down for Nix.

justasportsfan
03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

From what I'm reading , this draft is deep at OL. With that in mind, will there be talent in the 2nd round as good as Cordy Glenn?:idunno:

If so, I'm guessing bills use the 1st round pick for weapons for EJ.We need weapons especially in the endzone. I would think they start looking for Stevie's replacement in this years draft. The bills' mentality is competition will elevate everyones game. This could light the fire under SJ's but this year or he's gone next year.

Meathead
03-16-2014, 10:14 AM
why is the outside offensive lineman the tackle when the defensive tackle is on the inside?

bc those are two positions that can anchor their line for a decade

no that doesnt make perfect sense bc still wtf does 'tackle' have anything to do with their position names besides a dt getting one or two a game? when does the offensive end lineman ever tackle? its either a holding or a turnover and i dont want his whole job named after those two bad events

but what does make sense is that if you can get a real stud in either of those two spots you almost always gotta take em. only if you already got em can you take a wimpy skill guy like wr te or rb. except for qb, they are wimpy but they touch the ball a ton so you should take a stud there almost whenever you can

coastal
03-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Ok... trade down and select Nix.

Then take Gabe Jackson and Antonio Richardson in the 2nd.

A QB in the 3rd.

Mr. Pink
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Mike Evans likely will be the pick barring trade down based on what has been done in FA.

Watkins won't fall to 9th.

JoeMama
03-16-2014, 10:44 AM
The only positions I'm okay with addressing in the first round are OT, WR, and TE.

And god help me if we draft a ******* defensive back.

stuckincincy
03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
I just hope they don't get a brainstorm and select LB Mosley from Alabama.

The Jokeman
03-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Mike Evans likely will be the pick barring trade down based on what has been done in FA.

Watkins won't fall to 9th.

I disagree if one of the top 3 OTs fall than I think we nab one.

The Jokeman
03-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I just hope they don't get a brainstorm and select LB Mosley from Alabama.

I'd have nothing wrong with this pick as the draft about acquiring talent and with Spikes in a one year deal and questions about Lawson/Rivers finding another quality LB doesn't hurt. As to me talent wise Mosley > Evans > Ebron.

stuckincincy
03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
I'd have nothing wrong with this pick as the draft about acquiring talent and with Spikes in a one year deal and questions about Lawson/Rivers finding another quality LB doesn't hurt. As to me talent wise Mosley > Evans > Ebron.

I'm suspect about 'Bama players...they have such a powerhouse roster, it's hard for me to figure out if a player is worth a high pick or if he shines because of the surrounding cast. Bbama's Dre Kirkpatrick, Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, any of their QBs, etc.

Also, former high BUF choice John McCargo being on the same NC State team as Mario Williams comes to mind:
McCargo...

..."Many draft experts considered McCargo a late-2nd or early-3rd round pick before the 2006 NFL Draft. Because of this, many people were shocked when the Bills traded up to select him 26th overall."...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCargo

The Jokeman
03-16-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm suspect about 'Bama players...they have such a powerhouse roster, it's hard for me to figure out if a player is worth a high pick or if he shines because of the surrounding cast.

I get it and some think that UNC is great at producing athletic players (see Ebron) who fail on the football field too like Coples/Gregg Little. To me a draft always about acquire the best collection of players and to me a guy like Mosley would product more for you as a rookie then a rookie WR/TE would.

Don't Panic
03-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Watkins, Matthews, Evans or Lewan. I'd be happy with any of the four, and at least one should be available.

stuckincincy
03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I get it and some think that UNC is great at producing athletic players (see Ebron) who fail on the football field too like Coples/Gregg Little. To me a draft always about acquire the best collection of players and to me a guy like Mosley would product more for you as a rookie then a rookie WR/TE would.

It's always a dice roll. And everybody is still smarting from the Maybin pick. BUF's drafting is nothing if not entertaining.

I agree with you about plucking a TE or WR - they need to get that OL turned in the right direction, and they already have a fistful of young wrs. IMO, Woods has a chance to shine like they want a WR to shine if they can give whatever QB some time to digest what's going on. IMO that quick-toss offense was a marketing gimmick that denied their young qbs some opportunity to learn the ropes.

The Jokeman
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
It's always a dice roll. And everybody is still smarting from the Maybin pick. BUF's drafting is nothing if not entertaining.

I agree with you about plucking a TE or WR - they need to get that OL turned in the right direction, and they already have a fistful of young wrs. IMO, Woods has a chance to shine like they want a WR to shine if they can give whatever QB some time to digest what's going on. IMO that quick-toss offense was a marketing gimmick that denied their young qbs some opportunity to learn the ropes.
I love 15 play 80 yard move the chain drives more then anything. I think they started with the no huddle quick paced offense is they didn't want to overwhelm EJ ie don't make him over think things just react. I think it had disaster all over it. Hopefully with better coaching (see QB coach and Jim Hostler) and experience the offense will grow but still want a veteran WR out there and heck also take a flier on Jermichael Finley who's still unsigned.

stuckincincy
03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I love 15 play 80 yard move the chain drives more then anything. I think they started with the no huddle quick paced offense is they didn't want to overwhelm EJ ie don't make him over think things just react. I think it had disaster all over it. Hopefully with better coaching (see QB coach and Jim Hostler) and experience the offense will grow but still want a veteran WR out there and heck also take a flier on Jermichael Finley who's still unsigned.

Good plan on the older vet wr. There's no lack of them out there - get one that is wise to getting off the LOS press. Maybe not so many yards gained, but a completion. Move the sticks, set up a run etc.

I can't see any TE in the draft that BUF needs. Signing chandler was a good thing - he's not a star, but he's not a bum.

Agree 100% on the long drives. I'm one that felt losing Levitre hurt. Spiller is a quick pop between the tackles runner. I've never thought of him as an outside scat back - he doesn't have the quick juke dart inside, IMO.

Guards matter.

Night Train
03-16-2014, 03:10 PM

GM's panic for QB.

Someone will try to trade up for one, setting off more panic..They should roll off early .. But you may be right if you look at their actual talent level.. Carr may wind up being the best.

DrGraves
03-16-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm on the Ebron train 100%. Its about time that we get a guy that can create mismatches in the middle of the field... and that little additional attention he would draw from the safeties could really open up Goodwin and Graham over the top.

stuckincincy
03-16-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm on the Ebron train 100%. Its about time that we get a guy that can create mismatches in the middle of the field... and that little additional attention he would draw from the safeties could really open up Goodwin and Graham over the top.

I don't think their line can provide time for that mismatch to develop. Ebron is one of the new generation TE/WR things. A strong chuck by a DE or a LB will likely be an awakening followed by a faltering.

Downinfloflo
03-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Ebron is way better than any WR that would be there at #9, Aside from Watkins, Evans is a #2 possession WR not a #1.

BOTTOM LINE A prep hoopster with shooting-guard size, Evans combined with Johnny Manziel to form one of the most dominant quarterback-receiver connections in the nation the last two seasons. He’s a big, physical, strong-handed, West Coast possession receiver with playmaking ability who projects as a No. 2 in the pros where he will make his money as a chain mover and red-zone target.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

TacklingDummy
03-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Trade up with Cleveland and take Johnny Football.

better days
03-16-2014, 10:43 PM

I really doubt Ebron would draw any more attention than Chandler or Moeaki.

How is two or three receptions a game like Ebron got in College really going to help the Bills?

Ebron only put up GOOD numbers in three games last year, against Miami (Fla), Ga. Tech & Duke.

Not exactly three power houses there. Oh & his team LOST all three of those games.

swiper
03-17-2014, 05:29 AM

Much more likely. With Campbell/Moeaki on the roster the idea of drafting a TE with the #1 pick is ridiculous. It would be ridiculous anyway at #9. Ebron is not a top ten draft pick. And with Branch, K. Williams, and Dareus on the roster a DT is not happening. Those 2 positions are, in fact, on the unlikely list for that pick.

WR makes much more sense, if they think they can get either of those guys, but the sad fact is that one will likely go naturally before Buffalo's pick and somebody very likely could trade up in front of the Bills for the 2nd guy. I'm starting to wonder if they go DB again.

swiper
03-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Ebron is way better than any WR that would be there at #9, Aside from Watkins, Evans is a #2 possession WR not a #1.

No he's not.

mysticsoto
03-17-2014, 09:43 AM
With Buffalo taking care of open positions like TE and LB, it's clear they're going Oline in the draft. Considering they have a new QB that they want to develop, it makes sense that the #1 & #2 picks will likely be OT and OG to shore up that Oline and give EJ tons of time to work. Wouldn't it be nice, if for once, we could have a solid Oline so our QB doesn't develop Rob Johnsonitis and freeze on the field with terror.

Kenny
03-17-2014, 11:47 AM
With Mack, Robinson, Matthews and Watkins gone... Im hoping for either Evans, Lewan, or even Ebron.

Though Im sure the rankings will change in another month... Remember when most mocks had Anthony Barr as the top LB (likely top 10?)

mysticsoto
03-17-2014, 12:09 PM
So...after thinking about it some...here's another scenario. What if, no one of interest to the FO drops to our #9 position and we're able to trade down. I could see this being favored to pick up a top RT in the later part of the 1st rd, and obtaining an extra 2nd rounder (atleast) and then grabbing two top OGs for both the left and right side. We'd probably have the best Oline in the league, alongside what I feel is the best RB corps of the league! With our 3rd rounder we could go WR, FS or just BPA.

How would people feel about that?

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 12:34 PM
With Buffalo taking care of open positions like TE and LB, it's clear they're going Oline in the draft. Considering they have a new QB that they want to develop, it makes sense that the #1 & #2 picks will likely be OT and OG to shore up that Oline and give EJ tons of time to work. Wouldn't it be nice, if for once, we could have a solid Oline so our QB doesn't develop Rob Johnsonitis and freeze on the field with terror.

I wouldn't mind that, but isn't there more value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds since this is supposedly a deep draft for those positions? :idunno:

- - - Updated - - -

So...after thinking about it some...here's another scenario. What if, no one of interest to the FO drops to our #9 position and we're able to trade down. I could see this being favored to pick up a top RT in the later part of the 1st rd, and obtaining an extra 2nd rounder (atleast) and then grabbing two top OGs for both the left and right side. We'd probably have the best Oline in the league, alongside what I feel is the best RB corps of the league! With our 3rd rounder we could go WR, FS or just BPA.

How would people feel about that?

:up: except another 3rd round wr is another Graham and Goodwin?

mysticsoto
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't mind that, but isn't there more value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds since this is supposedly a deep draft for those positions? :idunno:

- - - Updated - - -

:up: except another 3rd round wr is another Graham and Goodwin?

Not necessarily. Bcse this draft is deep in WRs, a 3rd rounder (and remember our 3rd rounder is right at the top) may normally be a typical year's 2nd rounder...

But I do get the feeling that they like Stevie in the slot, Goodwin on the outside to stretch the field, and Woods as the possession receiver. Woods did start playing pretty well at times when he wasn't injured. We need EJ & Goodwin to connect on their timing so that he becomes a viable threat also. That comes with repetition and being given time to throw. An outstanding Oline would contribute to that immensely!!!

Bill Cody
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
IMO our best hope is one of the 3 top qb's drops

we can either take him ourselves which we probably won't do or field what will likely be strong interest for the pick to move down. I'm not sold at all that there is much difference between the player we can draft at 15 and what we'd get at 9.

cookie G
03-17-2014, 12:58 PM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

There is one other possibility..if he makes it to the 2nd...a guy that can really be a young QB's "best friend"....

Jace Amaro- Texas Tech

He's about 6'6" and weighed 265 for the Combine. Straight line speed isn't earth shattering, just below 4.7 (ran a 4.68) at his Pro Day. That's what Gronk ran. Other measurables are at least decent to very good. At his Pro Day, Gil Brandt said he looked like a 1st rounder. He's built like a brick outhouse too...29 bench reps..and his power shows when some DB tries to arm tackle or throw a shoulder into him. He can do some physical damage. Long arms and big, soft hands.

In terms of production...he had over 100 receptions last year and nearly 1400 yards. And ...he was consistent. I think he had 7 or 8 straight games in which he had 8 or more receptions..and I think 9 games for the season. Most of those games..he was near or over 100 yards.

The production means a lot to me...lots of receivers can rack up 200 yards against crappy opponents but disappear against a good division rival. This guy...everyone knew he was going to be targeted but he still produced.

There's a really good chance he goes at the bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd..but if he's there...I wouldn't hesitate taking him..

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/texas-tech-pro-day-results-jace-amaro-receives-comparisons-to-pro-bowl-tight-end.html/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860917/jace-amaro

TigerJ
03-18-2014, 11:22 PM
I think it will be Evans, Lewan, or Matthews. I would add Watkins, but I think he goes top 8.

K-Gun
03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
I think it will be Evans, Lewan, or Matthews. I would add Watkins, but I think he goes top 8.

if we go OT at 9, what wr do we want in the 2nd? Kelvin Benjamin?

TigerJ
03-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure. I'm wary of Benjamin, but he would come with instant chemistry with Manuel. I think Jordan Matthews is a possibility, or maybe Montcrief.

justasportsfan
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
There is one other possibility..if he makes it to the 2nd...a guy that can really be a young QB's "best friend"....

Jace Amaro- Texas Tech

He's about 6'6" and weighed 265 for the Combine. Straight line speed isn't earth shattering, just below 4.7 (ran a 4.68) at his Pro Day. That's what Gronk ran. Other measurables are at least decent to very good. At his Pro Day, Gil Brandt said he looked like a 1st rounder. He's built like a brick outhouse too...29 bench reps..and his power shows when some DB tries to arm tackle or throw a shoulder into him. He can do some physical damage. Long arms and big, soft hands.

In terms of production...he had over 100 receptions last year and nearly 1400 yards. And ...he was consistent. I think he had 7 or 8 straight games in which he had 8 or more receptions..and I think 9 games for the season. Most of those games..he was near or over 100 yards.

The production means a lot to me...lots of receivers can rack up 200 yards against crappy opponents but disappear against a good division rival. This guy...everyone knew he was going to be targeted but he still produced.

There's a really good chance he goes at the bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd..but if he's there...I wouldn't hesitate taking him..

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/texas-tech-pro-day-results-jace-amaro-receives-comparisons-to-pro-bowl-tight-end.html/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860917/jace-amaro

Wow! 106 receptions in one season? I'm in.

DraftBoy
03-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Wow! 106 receptions in one season? I'm in.

The number is high but the system is a large part of that reason.

The last buffalo fan
03-19-2014, 06:19 PM
The number is high but the system is a large part of that reason.

Skills like good and soft hands can do the trick some times too.