PDA

View Full Version : Current DB situation - change of positions for Ron Brooks?

swiper
03-17-2014, 06:31 AM
With the departure of Byrd and the signing of Corey Graham, will Ron Brooks move over to Free Safety?

-I hope the Graham signing means the Bills staff is looking to move Ron Brooks to Safety to give him a look. I have been banging this drum since last offseason that I think he would make a better FS than a CB in the NFL

http://www.profootballwarroom.com/

better days
03-17-2014, 07:05 AM
If Brooks moves to free safety, it will be as a back up.

The Bills already announced Williams will be the starting free safety.

Night Train
03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
He's blazing fast..but bites on every WR's first move and gets beat regularly. Can play ST's.

Safety may be his last shot. Hoping that facing the QB can help him read and react.

Roster bubble candidate.

cookie G
03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
With the departure of Byrd and the signing of Corey Graham, will Ron Brooks move over to Free Safety?

Merk was always high on Brooks...he was pre-draft and he was when we drafted him. He always liked his big play ability.

And...elsewhere in the article...he's spot on in the Williams' signing. Just because you're give a guy 3 or 4 million a year, it doesn't mean it is an "upgrade". Not based on his past performance. It reminds me of the Cornell Green signing buddy did a few years ago.

Eh...Marrone seems happy...there is a slight chance he can "coach him up", something no other NFL coach has been able to do. But this shouldn't be Plan A.

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 12:43 PM
thing is Whaley talked more about being excited about Duke Williams and never mentioned Brooks moving to safety.

YardRat
03-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm glad Whaley is excited about Duke, I want to see this kid on the field and see what he can do. If Brooks can't handle 4th or 5th CB role, they might as well move him and see how it works. I liked Brooks coming out college also and was pretty happy when we drafted him, but he really hasn't stepped up to carve his niche on the roster yet.

Goobylal
03-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Brooks can handle the 5th CB role.

jimmifli
03-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Brooks can handle the 5th CB role.
Yep. I think Robey won the nickel last season and he'll be bumped for Graham.

We've actually got decent depth at CB now.

DraftBoy
03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Not sure any part of Brooks game translates to FS. He's a gambler who has to have over the top S coverage to cover him. Having him be that cover would be a double move nightmare.

Also he's a below average tackler with poor form. Just not a good combination for a FS type in what I believe will be a Cover 2 based coverage scheme in the end.

DynaPaul
03-20-2014, 06:59 AM
It's a passing league now. You need 4 good CB's especially when you play dime a lot.

The Jokeman
03-20-2014, 07:26 PM
It's a passing league now. You need 4 good CB's especially when you play dime a lot.
and as things stand now Brooks might be our 5th best CB yet I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut this year as he didn't play a lot last year and now we've added Graham into the fold. It means Brooks is looking more on the outs then the in.

kingJofNYC
03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
There were times he rotated out of the slot into a deep half early in the season, Pettine mixing coverages as best he could due to injuries in the secondary.

Brooks has to find a role soon, or he'll be relegated to ST only, if that. Graham and Robey will lock up slot receivers leaving Brooks on the sideline.

Albany,n.y.
03-21-2014, 10:08 AM

He's moving to Guard-as in security guard at your local bank.

swiper
03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
LOL

Mr. Pink
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
He has a change of positions in his near future.

Employed to unemployed.

Does that count?

Ed
03-21-2014, 01:30 PM
This draft is supposed to be deep at CB. I say use a late round pick on someone to compete with Brooks for the 5th CB spot. I like the talent and depth we have in our CB group a lot.