Despite his limitations, Spikes will have the biggest impact to the Bills - I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Despite his limitations, Spikes will have the biggest impact to the Bills - I think

Just a pure speculation on my part.

I wanted Mosley to be drafted, but it looks like the Bills will go OL or receiving target route in the first round now. They are probably going to draft a ILB in 3rd round area to be groomed behind Spikes in case he leaves town next year.

With the way the D is built, no rookie is needed/expected to start anywhere on this D. There gotta be a lot of motication on Spikes' part, not for sticking to Belichick and NE, but more on the overall treatment by NFL teams -- not being courted as much, having to take less than starter money, etc. The one year deal is a very good indication; either the Bills insisted on it, or you can imagine the Bills' longer term deal offer would have even less per year money. With Spikes personality, I can't imagine how he took all that. That's one very motivated player, wouldn't you say?

There are many very motivated players never made any impact in NFL because of talent. Spikes has talent, just not all around LB talent. He's special for stopping the run, unlike Fletcher, Poz etc. who made tackles, but not a lot of minimal gain or negative gain tackles. So you have an highly motivated player with a skill set the Bills sorely needed. And you have a coach (Pepper Johnson) who can relate to him and who has seen him for all his career in NFL what's good and what's bad situations for him. You can't help to think that Spikes will be put in position to succeed.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not sure about Chris Williams. My friend in Chicago told me he's really a bad. Going on a third team, and not highly recruited this off season where OL is a hot pursuit by many teams is not a good sign...
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Despite his limitations, Spikes will have the biggest impact to the Bills - I thi

People have been saying Spikes is only a two down LB & can't cover.

Well, Ray Lewis was not all that great in coverage either, especially when he got older.

He was still a force on the field & will be in the HOF.

I think Spikes is the closest thing to Lewis playing in the NFL today.

He will make a huge difference next year.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Re: Despite his limitations, Spikes will have the biggest impact to the Bills - I thi

Spikes success will come down to the scheme. All players have strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the coaches to get them in a situation that minimizes those weaknesses.

If he plays with a chip on his shoulder, he's going to be a fan favorite.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

His success depends on how the rest of the DL can get to the qb when the qb decides to audible because Spikes is on the field.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
          People have been saying Spikes is only a two down LB & can't cover.

Well, Ray Lewis was not all that great in coverage either, especially when he got older.

He was still a force on the field & will be in the HOF.

I think Spikes is the closest thing to Lewis playing in the NFL today.

He will make a huge difference next year.
          You are probably the first person to compare Spikes to Lewis. Probably the last as well . . .

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
            You are probably the first person to compare Spikes to Lewis. Probably the last as well . . .
            Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was.

I'm not saying he has HOF ability either.

But like Lewis, Spikes hits like a Mack truck.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was.

I'm not saying he has HOF ability either.

But like Lewis, Spikes hits like a Mack truck.
              Ray Lewis has incredible football instincts. I just haven't seen that from anyone else close to that in recent years. Spikes are far from that.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                • Feb 2006

I think he will have a great year for us. We have a lot of talent in front of him and enough talent behind him for Spikes to excel.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

i am tired of hearing all this talk about how spikes cant cover anyone.. he is not a cornerback, first of all. he is a line backer. he may at times have to cover a TE, but we have two outside LBs that can do that as well, with kiko showing he does it above average. that said, here are a few examples of how he shows some coverage and space awareness that would clearly indicate to me that he is not as terrible as everyone says. Just because Belicheat didnt use him that much in that capacity, or maybe had better options, doesnt mean that the guy is a major liability.

Here are just a few examples.
                  The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

But what he was signed for is this...

and this..

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

I am still wondering how he signed for only 3.5 and one year. Why so cheap and how come no one else offered him more than that?
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      I am still wondering how he signed for only 3.5 and one year. Why so cheap and how come no one else offered him more than that?
                      Especially since NE allowed him to stroll for that number. Marginal impact guy as much as I am fond of the name Spikes.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was..
                        Ya think?

Comment

• tomz
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          Is it possible HE wanted a short term 'prove it' contract to up his pay day next year vs. a middling longer term one? A little strange but you never know.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

According to Chris Brown, apparently Spikes signed the deal at the airport before he went home. Just unusual, no wonder Belichick even said it would be interesting to coach him after drafted him. Expect to see more edgeness on the field ...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tomz View Post
                              Is it possible HE wanted a short term 'prove it' contract to up his pay day next year vs. a middling longer term one? A little strange but you never know.
                              I can understand one year but only for 3.5 million. If he's that good he's risking injury for chump change. Maybe he really is a head case. I don't know
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X