PDA

View Full Version : Despite his limitations, Spikes will have the biggest impact to the Bills - I think

ghz in pittsburgh
03-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Just a pure speculation on my part.

I wanted Mosley to be drafted, but it looks like the Bills will go OL or receiving target route in the first round now. They are probably going to draft a ILB in 3rd round area to be groomed behind Spikes in case he leaves town next year.

With the way the D is built, no rookie is needed/expected to start anywhere on this D. There gotta be a lot of motication on Spikes' part, not for sticking to Belichick and NE, but more on the overall treatment by NFL teams -- not being courted as much, having to take less than starter money, etc. The one year deal is a very good indication; either the Bills insisted on it, or you can imagine the Bills' longer term deal offer would have even less per year money. With Spikes personality, I can't imagine how he took all that. That's one very motivated player, wouldn't you say?

There are many very motivated players never made any impact in NFL because of talent. Spikes has talent, just not all around LB talent. He's special for stopping the run, unlike Fletcher, Poz etc. who made tackles, but not a lot of minimal gain or negative gain tackles. So you have an highly motivated player with a skill set the Bills sorely needed. And you have a coach (Pepper Johnson) who can relate to him and who has seen him for all his career in NFL what's good and what's bad situations for him. You can't help to think that Spikes will be put in position to succeed.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not sure about Chris Williams. My friend in Chicago told me he's really a bad. Going on a third team, and not highly recruited this off season where OL is a hot pursuit by many teams is not a good sign...

better days
03-17-2014, 08:16 AM
People have been saying Spikes is only a two down LB & can't cover.

Well, Ray Lewis was not all that great in coverage either, especially when he got older.

He was still a force on the field & will be in the HOF.

I think Spikes is the closest thing to Lewis playing in the NFL today.

He will make a huge difference next year.

The King
03-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Spikes success will come down to the scheme. All players have strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the coaches to get them in a situation that minimizes those weaknesses.

If he plays with a chip on his shoulder, he's going to be a fan favorite.

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 08:55 AM
His success depends on how the rest of the DL can get to the qb when the qb decides to audible because Spikes is on the field.

EDS
03-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Well, Ray Lewis was not all that great in coverage either, especially when he got older.

You are probably the first person to compare Spikes to Lewis. Probably the last as well . . .

better days
03-17-2014, 09:20 AM
You are probably the first person to compare Spikes to Lewis. Probably the last as well . . .

Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was.

I'm not saying he has HOF ability either.

But like Lewis, Spikes hits like a Mack truck.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was.

I'm not saying he has HOF ability either.

But like Lewis, Spikes hits like a Mack truck.

Ray Lewis has incredible football instincts. I just haven't seen that from anyone else close to that in recent years. Spikes are far from that.

Buffalogic
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
I think he will have a great year for us. We have a lot of talent in front of him and enough talent behind him for Spikes to excel.

Tatonka
03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
i am tired of hearing all this talk about how spikes cant cover anyone.. he is not a cornerback, first of all. he is a line backer. he may at times have to cover a TE, but we have two outside LBs that can do that as well, with kiko showing he does it above average. that said, here are a few examples of how he shows some coverage and space awareness that would clearly indicate to me that he is not as terrible as everyone says. Just because Belicheat didnt use him that much in that capacity, or maybe had better options, doesnt mean that the guy is a major liability.

Here are just a few examples.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000256866/Brandon-Spikes-intercepts-Andy-Dalton

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qeib4I8hlO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But what he was signed for is this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AYDuOzKA-Rk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XV8HA0CdLsg?list=PLpk5x_RmckkyRAl3KIwd99RuLpm51wz_f" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I am still wondering how he signed for only 3.5 and one year. Why so cheap and how come no one else offered him more than that?

sukie
03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I am still wondering how he signed for only 3.5 and one year. Why so cheap and how come no one else offered him more than that?

Especially since NE allowed him to stroll for that number. Marginal impact guy as much as I am fond of the name Spikes.

WagonCircler
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Well, Spikes is not the leader Lewis was..

Ya think?

tomz
03-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Is it possible HE wanted a short term 'prove it' contract to up his pay day next year vs. a middling longer term one? A little strange but you never know.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
According to Chris Brown, apparently Spikes signed the deal at the airport before he went home. Just unusual, no wonder Belichick even said it would be interesting to coach him after drafted him. Expect to see more edgeness on the field ...

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Is it possible HE wanted a short term 'prove it' contract to up his pay day next year vs. a middling longer term one? A little strange but you never know.

I can understand one year but only for 3.5 million. If he's that good he's risking injury for chump change. Maybe he really is a head case. I don't know

EDS
03-17-2014, 12:37 PM
I can understand one year but only for 3.5 million. If he's that good he's risking injury for chump change. Maybe he really is a head case. I don't know

It cuts both ways. Minimal investment for the Bills so if it does not work out no big deal. On the other hand, if he is great then the Bills will need to pony-up alot more cash next season to keep him. Maybe they draft someone and use Spikes as a one year bridge till the draftee is ready.

justasportsfan
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
It cuts both ways. Minimal investment for the Bills so if it does not work out no big deal. On the other hand, if he is great then the Bills will need to pony-up alot more cash next season to keep him. Maybe they draft someone and use Spikes as a one year bridge till the draftee is ready.

I wouldn't be surprised which is why I won't count out a lb with our first pick if one of them fall to us.

Meathead
03-17-2014, 03:48 PM
two minutes after the deal was announced i was asking why only 3.25 mil (or 3.5 if thats the number) and why one season, yet nobody in the media has reported or even speculated on this yet

thats below market for a starting mlb. even with his discipline problems you would think he would be able to get at least another million. ralphs depends budget is bigger than that

im thinking word must have circulated among gms that he had become more trouble than hes worth. maybe theres more to the story weve never heard. certainly seems like something isnt right with his deal

The Beef
03-17-2014, 04:14 PM
IMO the biggest thing Spikes can bring to the team is a nasty streak. Pettine brought an aggressiveness hat was needed, Spikes hopefully will be the guy that brings the nasty.

On a side note Chris Williams was a train Argo in Chicago. Jut terrible at tackle. I hope Marrone and the staff can work a miracle with him. Obviously his size fits the profile of what the team looks for in an olineman, I just don't see him as anything but average at best.

YardRat
03-17-2014, 04:18 PM
I hope so. Graham could be big also, if McKelvin or Gilmore go down with an injury.

tomz
03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
two minutes after the deal was announced i was asking why only 3.25 mil (or 3.5 if thats the number) and why one season, yet nobody in the media has reported or even speculated on this yet

thats below market for a starting mlb. even with his discipline problems you would think he would be able to get at least another million. ralphs depends budget is bigger than that

im thinking word must have circulated among gms that he had become more trouble than hes worth. maybe theres more to the story weve never heard. certainly seems like something isnt right with his deal

Yeah but of all people Pepper Johnson would know if he was more trouble than he was worth. Maybe it's the knee?

BillsFever21
03-17-2014, 05:47 PM

Did you really just compare Spikes to Ray Lewis? This may have to be one of your all time greatest/worst however you want to look at it.

Goobylal
03-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Especially since NE allowed him to stroll for that number. Marginal impact guy as much as I am fond of the name Spikes.
in 2012, he had 92 tackles, a sack, 6 passes defensed, and 5 forced fumbles. In 15 games and 14 starts. That's a pretty big impact. Wilfork's loss early in this season really hurt him.

better days
03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Did you really just compare Spikes to Ray Lewis? This may have to be one of your all time greatest/worst however you want to look at it.

I did. I was comparing the way they both hit & are a FORCE on the field.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. I can't wait until the season plays out, I will be sure to bump this.

BillsFever21
03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
So the Ray Lewis clone of the NFL is only worth a one year contract for 3.5 million along with being dumped by his other team? Damn Ray Lewis really went down hill.

I never said the guy sucks. It's just hilarious that he's all of a sudden Ray Lewis because he signed with the Bills. A year ago you were probably calling him average at best during your "Patriots are missing the playoffs" rants during 2013.

GvilleBills
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Gonna bring the nasty. Helluva leader at Florida. Great Price.
Me likey.

better days
03-17-2014, 07:31 PM
So the Ray Lewis clone of the NFL is only worth a one year contract for 3.5 million along with being dumped by his other team? Damn Ray Lewis really went down hill.

I never said the guy sucks. It's just hilarious that he's all of a sudden Ray Lewis because he signed with the Bills. A year ago you were probably calling him average at best during your "Patriots are missing the playoffs" rants during 2013.

I am a Gator fan, so I was always a fan of Spikes.

I HATED when the Pats* drafted him.

I was comparing the play of Spikes to Lewis because of their similar styles.

Both are not that fast, but hit like a truck when they get there. Like I said, I will bump this thread after Spikes has played a few games for the Bills.

BillsFever21
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I am a Gator fan, so I was always a fan of Spikes.

I HATED when the Pats* drafted him.

Both are not that fast, but hit like a truck when they get there. Like I said, I will bump this thread after Spikes has played a few games for the Bills.

That explains it. A Gator fan and a Bills fan. That makes double the rose colored glasses.

If he turned into the next Ray Lewis then I would be more then happy to admit I'm wrong. Especially finding you wrong about 24 out 25 times last year. I doubt you will see one other person say he's as good as Ray Lewis though. You have totally damn well lost your mind if you think he's as good as Ray Lewis. LOL

Oh and a big hit here and there doesn't make him Ray Lewis either. If that's the case then you can say Donte Whitner is just as good as Ronnie Lott because they both hit hard.

That and similar styles doesn't make one as good as another either. If that's the case then CJ Spiller is the same as Barry Sanders because they had the speed and agility to make guys miss and take it to the house.

BillsFever21
03-17-2014, 08:31 PM
I can just see better days a decade ago when Spurrier was the coach of the Redskins and brought in all of his cronies like Weurffel and his other Gator QB's along with Taylor Jacobs and Jabar Gaffney. He was probably on the Redskins site talking Super Bowl and defending them to the very end.

He must also think that Tebow is a good NFL QB too because he went to Florida.

better days
03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
That explains it. A Gator fan and a Bills fan. That makes double the rose colored glasses.

If he turned into the next Ray Lewis then I would be more then happy to admit I'm wrong. Especially finding you wrong about 24 out 25 times last year. I doubt you will see one other person say he's as good as Ray Lewis though. You have totally damn well lost your mind if you think he's as good as Ray Lewis. LOL

Oh and a big hit here and there doesn't make him Ray Lewis either. If that's the case then you can say Donte Whitner is just as good as Ronnie Lott because they both hit hard.

That and similar styles doesn't make one as good as another either. If that's the case then CJ Spiller is the same as Barry Sanders because they had the speed and agility to make guys miss and take it to the house.

I pointed out before where I was right when you said I was wrong.

You need to learn to READ!

I NEVER said Spikes was as GOOD as Lewis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact I said Spikes did not have HOF ability like Lewis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was comparing their playing style! NOT comparing their ability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU NEED TO LEARN TO READ !!

JoeMama
03-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Do you look at the stuff you type before you hit the post button?

GingerP
03-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Both are not that fast, but hit like a truck when they get there.

Their playing styles are nothing alike. Lewis was a hard-hitter, but he ran around blockers. He was very fast sideline-to-sideline. Spikes runs into contact, taking on OG or FB.

Ray Lewis was fast. He ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Spikes ran a 5.05. Spikes is a big guy that runs downhills and blows up plays, taking on OG and FB regularly. Lewis didn't do that, Lewis out-quicked players to the ball, diagnosing the play so quickly that he beat guys to the hole. Ray Lewis is in the conversation of the greatest LB in NFL history.

Probably the closest in style to Lewis today would be Patrick Willis. Hard to find a comparison to Spikes, since his style is unique. His technique isn't always great, but at his best he is so physical and disruptive it works for him. His biggest asset is his love of contact, but he doesn't compare to Lewis because he can't run like him. Lewis was all over the field, with great sideline-to-sideline lateral ability. Spikes is a box player, he can't run sideline-to-sideline.

Probably a comparison would be a guy like Ted Johnson on the Pats teams last decade, although Johnson was a better athlete. Both were big, physical guys who thrived on contact.

better days
03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Do you look at the stuff you type before you hit the post button?

OK, who do you think is closer to Lewis than Spikes?

And don't say Patrick Willis, because he is much faster than Lewis was.

better days
03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Ray Lewis was fast. He ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Spikes ran a 5.05. Spikes is a big guy that runs downhills and blows up plays, taking on OG and FB regularly. Lewis didn't do that, Lewis out-quicked players to the ball, diagnosing the play so quickly that he beat guys to the hole. Ray Lewis is in the conversation of the greatest LB in NFL history.

Probably the closest in style to Lewis today would be Patrick Willis. Hard to find a comparison to Spikes, since his style is unique. His technique isn't always great, but at his best he is so physical and disruptive it works for him. His biggest asset is his love of contact, but he doesn't compare to Lewis because he can't run like him. Lewis was all over the field, with great sideline-to-sideline lateral ability. Spikes is a box player, he can't run sideline-to-sideline.

I already said Spikes did not have Ray Lewis ability, but Patrick Willis is much faster than Lewis.

Willis ran a 4.37 on his pro day.

IMO, I think Spikes is the closest to Lewis style playing today.

GingerP
03-17-2014, 08:55 PM
I already said Spikes did not have Ray Lewis ability, but Patrick Willis is much faster than Lewis.

Willis ran a 4.37 on his pro day.

IMO, I think Spikes is the closest to Lewis style playing today.

Lewis played faster than his time because he had great instincts for the game, and he was certainly fast for a ILB. He was way faster than Spikes.

You never watched Lewis if you think he was taking on a lot of blocks. He used to get criticized for it, he isn't that kind of guy. Spikes is a strictly downhill player, you can compare them if you want, but they are nothing alike in terms of playing style.

better days
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Lewis played faster than his time because he had great instincts for the game, and he was certainly fast for a ILB. He was way faster than Spikes.

You never watched Lewis if you think he was taking on a lot of blocks. He used to get criticized for it, he isn't that kind of guy. Spikes is a strictly downhill player, you can compare them if you want, but they are nothing alike in terms of playing style.

Lewis was .7 of a second faster than Spikes at their Pro Day. Whoop De Do.

Willis was .21 of a second faster than Lewis. That is a MUCH BIGGER difference in speed than the difference between Lewis & Spikes.

And for Willis to run a sub 4.40 40 time is just INCREDIBLE.

And for the last 5 or 6 years of his career, Lewis was MUCH SLOWER than Spikes is.

And when I talk of playing style, I am talking about the ATTITUDE Lewis played with & Spikes has the same attitude..........NASTY.

No other LB in the game today except Spikes plays with the same NASTY attitude Lewis played with & that includes Willis.

Tatonka
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
you guys sound like two girls fighting over a purse.

better days
03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
you guys sound like two girls fighting over a purse.

Well, mine is MUCH more pretty & cost more as well.

Hers is a cheap knockoff.

GingerP
03-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Ray Lewis could run, he was the ultimate sideline-to-sideline player. If you don't like Willis, fine, then use Luke Kuechly for a comparison. He ran a 4.58, same as Lewis. Similar style of player, all over the field.

Spikes ran a 5.05, he is in no way fast. That is OL slow. There were 6 OL at this year's combine that ran faster than Spike's 40 time. Spike's game is predicated on physicality. He runs straight downhill and creates contact, and instinctively goes to the ball. He is taller than most ILB with a unique style.

But don't compare him to Lewis, they are nothing alike.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-18-2014, 06:53 AM
On a side note Chris Williams was a train Argo in Chicago. Jut terrible at tackle. I hope Marrone and the staff can work a miracle with him. Obviously his size fits the profile of what the team looks for in an olineman, I just don't see him as anything but average at best.

If Chris Williams can bring the LG play to average status, it might qualify for biggest improvement year over year for any position on this team. There is no other GM willing to bet that though ...

I see this more like a Marrone signing. It just seems like he has gone to the extreme on measureables compared to all the coaches we had recently, certainly a complete 180 from Chan. There is no denying getting more athletic in general is better, but now they seems to go that way exclusively (well almost).

There was reports from analytics that Caepernick and Wilson's hand sizes seem to distinguish from other QBs drafted in recent years, so Marrone and Nix drafted EJ whose hand size measures among the biggest. Of course Goodwin's speed. And now guys like Keith Rivers, Chris Williams whose talent is off the charts, yet lacking football instincts.

better days
03-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Ray Lewis could run, he was the ultimate sideline-to-sideline player. If you don't like Willis, fine, then use Luke Kuechly for a comparison. He ran a 4.58, same as Lewis. Similar style of player, all over the field.

Spikes ran a 5.05, he is in no way fast. That is OL slow. There were 6 OL at this year's combine that ran faster than Spike's 40 time. Spike's game is predicated on physicality. He runs straight downhill and creates contact, and instinctively goes to the ball. He is taller than most ILB with a unique style.

But don't compare him to Lewis, they are nothing alike.

BS. No other LB in the NFL plays with the same nasty attitude Lewis had except Spikes.

And .7 of a second at their Pro day is not all that much difference.

Like I said the last 5 or 6 years of his career Lewis was MUCH SLOWER than Spikes is.

Spikes & Lewis are very much alike. Aside from the nasty attitude both Lewis & Spikes game are predicated on physicality.

jimmifli
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
I hope so. Graham could be big also, if McKelvin or Gilmore go down with an injury.
If Gilmore doesn't get his **** together he won't be starting. Same goes for McKelvin, he was good last season, but the 2012 season he wasn't better than Graham, and prior to that he was much worse.

It wouldn't surprise me if Graham is able to beat either for a starting CB spot.

better days
03-18-2014, 12:41 PM
If Gilmore doesn't get his **** together he won't be starting. Same goes for McKelvin, he was good last season, but the 2012 season he wasn't better than Graham, and prior to that he was much worse.

It wouldn't surprise me if Graham is able to beat either for a starting CB spot.

I guess you didn't realize Gilmore was INJURED last year.

JoeMama
03-18-2014, 01:23 PM

The nice thing about Gilmore is that he did start to get his **** together down the stretch.

I'd give him an A- over the last 4 games of the season.

Really solid coverage for the most part with a nice pick against TB and a great game sealing pick vs JAX. The only bad plays I remember from that stretch was a bomb he gave up against the Fish and an ugly hold vs the Patsies.

If that's an indication of what he can do when he's fully healthy, it's a comforting one.

chris66
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Just a pure speculation on my part.

I wanted Mosley to be drafted, but it looks like the Bills will go OL or receiving target route in the first round now. They are probably going to draft a ILB in 3rd round area to be groomed behind Spikes in case he leaves town next year.

With the way the D is built, no rookie is needed/expected to start anywhere on this D. There gotta be a lot of motication on Spikes' part, not for sticking to Belichick and NE, but more on the overall treatment by NFL teams -- not being courted as much, having to take less than starter money, etc. The one year deal is a very good indication; either the Bills insisted on it, or you can imagine the Bills' longer term deal offer would have even less per year money. With Spikes personality, I can't imagine how he took all that. That's one very motivated player, wouldn't you say?

There are many very motivated players never made any impact in NFL because of talent. Spikes has talent, just not all around LB talent. He's special for stopping the run, unlike Fletcher, Poz etc. who made tackles, but not a lot of minimal gain or negative gain tackles. So you have an highly motivated player with a skill set the Bills sorely needed. And you have a coach (Pepper Johnson) who can relate to him and who has seen him for all his career in NFL what's good and what's bad situations for him. You can't help to think that Spikes will be put in position to succeed.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not sure about Chris Williams. My friend in Chicago told me he's really a bad. Going on a third team, and not highly recruited this off season where OL is a hot pursuit by many teams is not a good sign...
Spikes sucks there is a reason why NE didn't even make him an offer. He lost his job to Hightower because he cant cover.

better days
03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Spikes sucks there is a reason why NE didn't even make him an offer. He lost his job to Hightower because he cant cover.

He had the third most tackles last year for the Pats* playing with an injured knee.

He was let go because he got in Belichecks doghouse.

Working out in Fla instead of NE & being late to meetings.

The Pats* did not let him go because of his play on the field.

jimmifli
03-18-2014, 10:58 PM
The nice thing about Gilmore is that he did start to get his **** together down the stretch.

I'd give him an A- over the last 4 games of the season.

Really solid coverage for the most part with a nice pick against TB and a great game sealing pick vs JAX. The only bad plays I remember from that stretch was a bomb he gave up against the Fish and an ugly hold vs the Patsies.

If that's an indication of what he can do when he's fully healthy, it's a comforting one.
Yes, pretty much agree. I really like our CB situation right now.

Robey was pretty solid as the slot CB. He'll get bumped down to fourth CB covering the other slot when Brady has 4WRs. We just signed the top rated slot CB from last season. So we've got 2 solid outside guys, 2 solid slot guys. Plus a FS and LB that can cover really well. That's a lot of flexibility.

Goobylal
03-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Yes, pretty much agree. I really like our CB situation right now.

Robey was pretty solid as the slot CB. He'll get bumped down to fourth CB covering the other slot when Brady has 4WRs. We just signed the top rated slot CB from last season. So we've got 2 solid outside guys, 2 solid slot guys. Plus a FS and LB that can cover really well. That's a lot of flexibility.
The Bills have at least 2 LBs that can cover in Kiko and Lawson. Rivers may be another but I'd have to see it first. If they can find a legit SS, the defense should be real good.

JoeMama
03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Brandon Spikes can help and he knows how.

New Bills LB Brandon Spikes says the run defense needs the help that he can provide: “I actually saw that in seven games they gave up 150 yards on the ground. I want to come in and help them out.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/wednesday-morning-one-liners-252/

stuckincincy
03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Brandon Spikes can help and he knows how.

What a kind man he is...