X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Bills Could Draft A Defensive End And Fool Everyone

The 2014 NFL draft is deep in wide receiver talent, offensive line talent, and tight end talent.

It's not very deep in defensive end talent.

Are Bills fans overlooking the position?

Clowney isn't going to last past the 6th overall pick.

The Bills current roster of defensive line talent consists of:

Alan Branch
    Corbin Bryant
    Stefan Charles
    Marcel Dareus
    Jerry Hughes
    Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
    Mario Williams
    Kyle Williams

Kyle Williams turns 31 in June.

Mario Williams turns 30 in January 2015.

Marcel Dareus just turned 24, but he can't show up to defensive meetings on time and got benched last year because of his lack of maturity.

2014 is a make or break year for Marcel Dareus and there's no guarantee of anything with him.

Kyle Williams and Mario Williams each have 2-3 years left in the tank if they're lucky.

After that, the defensive line of the Buffalo Bills looks like a work in progress at best.

Maybe the Bills have their 1st round draft pick sites set on one of these two guys:

Kony Ealy - DE from Missouri, 6'5 275 lbs.

"Ealy looks like a natural 4-3 defensive end who can stay on the field for all three downs."

Stephon Tuitt - DE from Notre Dame, 6'6 320 lbs.

"Tuitt has rare movement skills with great size. He fits every NFL defense in a variety of ways, so it seems very unlikely that he would fall out of the first round."

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014DE.php

Whoever the Bills have rated highest on their board is going to be taken with the 9th overall pick, and maybe that pick will be a defensive end?

Kony Ealy Highlights

Stephon Tuitt Highlights

• Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: The Bills Could Draft A Defensive End And Fool Everyone

You could have stopped with just the title and this thread would have been better...neither of the 2 guys you listed are worth a top 10 pick, not even close. Not saying I wouldnt take either of them, but not at #9

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
      • Feb 2009

Defensive End is the 6th position you have suggested the Bills will take with their 1st Round pick

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

I'm schizophrenic when it comes to the Bills 2014 draft pick, yes...

At first it was Ebron, then it was a tackle, now I'm thinking otherwise.

Sorry!

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
          • Jan 2010

I disagree that tight end is deep in this class

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

Clowney is the only DE worth a top 10 pick

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
              I'm schizophrenic when it comes to the Bills 2014 draft pick, yes...

At first it was Ebron, then it was a tackle, now I'm thinking otherwise.

Sorry!
              It's ok I just don't think a DE is a option for the same reason NBS mentioned.. I think the Bills will be taking Mike Evans or Taylor Lewan

Comment

• clumping platelets

I have been saying for a while that DL is a consideration early as well. Either one could be available in rd 2

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Tuitt is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3, he would be a DT in Schwartz scheme

and Ealy is about as overrated as it gets

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                    Tuitt is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3, he would be a DT in Schwartz scheme

and Ealy is about as overrated as it gets
                    Tuitt is scheme versatile, and played in both fronts at ND. They only ran a 3 man DL on 1st and 2nd downs. Tuitt played DE in a 3 man and 4 man front, along with DT in the 4 man front. He also played OLB some in a 34 but that's not the point.

That being said Tuitt plays the exact same position at Mario and is a power end you want going up against the RT. He's not the speed guy off the edge that you want facing the LT.

The other issue with Tuitt is his motor, when he wants to get after the QB and play he's as good (skill wise) as Clowney (but nowhere near the athletic freak). The issue though is that his motor isn't always going 100% and since he's not an athletic freak he can get washed out on plays.

If you're looking for a DE in a 43 front, then the names you need to think about are; Jackson Jeffcoat, Scott Crichton, and Dee Ford. None of those guys are likely 1st round picks though.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Raptor
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      Tuitt is scheme versatile, and played in both fronts at ND. They only ran a 3 man DL on 1st and 2nd downs. Tuitt played DE in a 3 man and 4 man front, along with DT in the 4 man front. He also played OLB some in a 34 but that's not the point.

That being said Tuitt plays the exact same position at Mario and is a power end you want going up against the RT. He's not the speed guy off the edge that you want facing the LT.

The other issue with Tuitt is his motor, when he wants to get after the QB and play he's as good (skill wise) as Clowney (but nowhere near the athletic freak). The issue though is that his motor isn't always going 100% and since he's not an athletic freak he can get washed out on plays.

If you're looking for a DE in a 43 front, then the names you need to think about are; Jackson Jeffcoat, Scott Crichton, and Dee Ford. None of those guys are likely 1st round picks though.
                      Yea thats nice, but on Sundays he is not playing DE in a 4-3 front unless its in an Under 4-3 which basically uses 3-4 philosphies ....In this a Schwartz defense he will never play DE unless injuries rack up and they need one to throw out there

Comment

• Minotaur95
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                        Not saying I wouldnt take either of them, but not at #9
                        Who said it was at 9? I wouldn't mind another quality DE to plan for the future IF the Bills trade down first... it needs to be the right value.
                        GO DOLPHINS .......... out to sea .......... AND NEVER COME BACK!

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

If this FO drafts a DE in round 1, they should all be fired on the spot.

Regardless of the ages of Mario and Kyle, they are still very good players right now.

Meanwhile, we've done nothing to improve our struggling offense except add a little depth. We still lack both protection and receiving targets for our young QB.

Taking a DE in round 1 would be another example of the perpetual rebuilding cycle. I'm tired of this team planning for a future that never actually arrives.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Minotaur95 View Post
                            Who said it was at 9? I wouldn't mind another quality DE to plan for the future IF the Bills trade down first... it needs to be the right value.
                            "Maybe the Bills have their 1st round draft pick sites set on one of these two guys"

This is a quote from the OP...so theres your answer. Our 1st round pick is #9. Your IF is a big IF, and I'm sure the OP didnt intend to discuss a trade-down.

Comment

• Minotaur95
                              • Apr 2013

I like BPA. No player worthy of that draft spot? Trade the pick, if possible. If DE is best value and they can't trade out of the spot for a position they value more, I'm okay with it. I highly doubt it happens, though... and it shouldn't. It's a fallback position, at best.
                              GO DOLPHINS .......... out to sea .......... AND NEVER COME BACK!

Comment

Working...
                              X