PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Could Draft A Defensive End And Fool Everyone

BillsImpossible
03-19-2014, 07:30 PM
The 2014 NFL draft is deep in wide receiver talent, offensive line talent, and tight end talent.

It's not very deep in defensive end talent.

Are Bills fans overlooking the position?

Clowney isn't going to last past the 6th overall pick.

The Bills current roster of defensive line talent consists of:

Alan Branch
Corbin Bryant
Stefan Charles
Marcel Dareus
Jerry Hughes
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
Mario Williams
Kyle Williams

Kyle Williams turns 31 in June.

Mario Williams turns 30 in January 2015.

Marcel Dareus just turned 24, but he can't show up to defensive meetings on time and got benched last year because of his lack of maturity.

2014 is a make or break year for Marcel Dareus and there's no guarantee of anything with him.

Kyle Williams and Mario Williams each have 2-3 years left in the tank if they're lucky.

After that, the defensive line of the Buffalo Bills looks like a work in progress at best.

Maybe the Bills have their 1st round draft pick sites set on one of these two guys:

Kony Ealy - DE from Missouri, 6'5 275 lbs.

"Ealy looks like a natural 4-3 defensive end who can stay on the field for all three downs."

Stephon Tuitt - DE from Notre Dame, 6'6 320 lbs.

"Tuitt has rare movement skills with great size. He fits every NFL defense in a variety of ways, so it seems very unlikely that he would fall out of the first round."

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014DE.php

Whoever the Bills have rated highest on their board is going to be taken with the 9th overall pick, and maybe that pick will be a defensive end?

Kony Ealy Highlights

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_YLMTlSroAM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stephon Tuitt Highlights

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z-yzvz3TFIQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pinkerton Security
03-19-2014, 07:59 PM
You could have stopped with just the title and this thread would have been better...neither of the 2 guys you listed are worth a top 10 pick, not even close. Not saying I wouldnt take either of them, but not at #9

Ginger Vitis
03-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Defensive End is the 6th position you have suggested the Bills will take with their 1st Round pick

BillsImpossible
03-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm schizophrenic when it comes to the Bills 2014 draft pick, yes...

At first it was Ebron, then it was a tackle, now I'm thinking otherwise.

Sorry!

mrbojanglezs
03-19-2014, 08:32 PM
I disagree that tight end is deep in this class

SquishDaFish
03-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Clowney is the only DE worth a top 10 pick

Ginger Vitis
03-19-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm schizophrenic when it comes to the Bills 2014 draft pick, yes...

At first it was Ebron, then it was a tackle, now I'm thinking otherwise.

Sorry!

It's ok I just don't think a DE is a option for the same reason NBS mentioned.. I think the Bills will be taking Mike Evans or Taylor Lewan

clumping platelets
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
I have been saying for a while that DL is a consideration early as well. Either one could be available in rd 2

Raptor
03-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Tuitt is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3, he would be a DT in Schwartz scheme

and Ealy is about as overrated as it gets

DraftBoy
03-20-2014, 06:12 AM
Tuitt is a 3-4 DE not a 4-3, he would be a DT in Schwartz scheme

and Ealy is about as overrated as it gets

Tuitt is scheme versatile, and played in both fronts at ND. They only ran a 3 man DL on 1st and 2nd downs. Tuitt played DE in a 3 man and 4 man front, along with DT in the 4 man front. He also played OLB some in a 34 but that's not the point.

That being said Tuitt plays the exact same position at Mario and is a power end you want going up against the RT. He's not the speed guy off the edge that you want facing the LT.

The other issue with Tuitt is his motor, when he wants to get after the QB and play he's as good (skill wise) as Clowney (but nowhere near the athletic freak). The issue though is that his motor isn't always going 100% and since he's not an athletic freak he can get washed out on plays.

If you're looking for a DE in a 43 front, then the names you need to think about are; Jackson Jeffcoat, Scott Crichton, and Dee Ford. None of those guys are likely 1st round picks though.

Raptor
03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Tuitt is scheme versatile, and played in both fronts at ND. They only ran a 3 man DL on 1st and 2nd downs. Tuitt played DE in a 3 man and 4 man front, along with DT in the 4 man front. He also played OLB some in a 34 but that's not the point.

That being said Tuitt plays the exact same position at Mario and is a power end you want going up against the RT. He's not the speed guy off the edge that you want facing the LT.

The other issue with Tuitt is his motor, when he wants to get after the QB and play he's as good (skill wise) as Clowney (but nowhere near the athletic freak). The issue though is that his motor isn't always going 100% and since he's not an athletic freak he can get washed out on plays.

If you're looking for a DE in a 43 front, then the names you need to think about are; Jackson Jeffcoat, Scott Crichton, and Dee Ford. None of those guys are likely 1st round picks though.

Yea thats nice, but on Sundays he is not playing DE in a 4-3 front unless its in an Under 4-3 which basically uses 3-4 philosphies ....In this a Schwartz defense he will never play DE unless injuries rack up and they need one to throw out there

Minotaur95
03-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Not saying I wouldnt take either of them, but not at #9 Who said it was at 9? I wouldn't mind another quality DE to plan for the future IF the Bills trade down first... it needs to be the right value.

OpIv37
03-20-2014, 07:43 AM
If this FO drafts a DE in round 1, they should all be fired on the spot.

Regardless of the ages of Mario and Kyle, they are still very good players right now.

Meanwhile, we've done nothing to improve our struggling offense except add a little depth. We still lack both protection and receiving targets for our young QB.

Taking a DE in round 1 would be another example of the perpetual rebuilding cycle. I'm tired of this team planning for a future that never actually arrives.

Pinkerton Security
03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Who said it was at 9? I wouldn't mind another quality DE to plan for the future IF the Bills trade down first... it needs to be the right value.

"Maybe the Bills have their 1st round draft pick sites set on one of these two guys"

This is a quote from the OP...so theres your answer. Our 1st round pick is #9. Your IF is a big IF, and I'm sure the OP didnt intend to discuss a trade-down.

Minotaur95
03-20-2014, 07:48 AM
I like BPA. No player worthy of that draft spot? Trade the pick, if possible. If DE is best value and they can't trade out of the spot for a position they value more, I'm okay with it. I highly doubt it happens, though... and it shouldn't. It's a fallback position, at best.

DraftBoy
03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Yea thats nice, but on Sundays he is not playing DE in a 4-3 front unless its in an Under 4-3 which basically uses 3-4 philosphies ....In this a Schwartz defense he will never play DE unless injuries rack up and they need one to throw out there

a 43 under doesn't basically use 34 philosophies that an oversimplification of the scheme based on nothing but the alignment.

OpIv37
03-20-2014, 08:10 AM
A team with as many needs as the Bills doesn't have the luxury of going BPA in the first round. Need has to be conisdered.

I'm not saying to reach 6-8 picks, but if we have a T at 12 and BPA when #9 comes around is a DE or RB, it becomes a luxury pick and we have to go with the T.

Later in the draft, it becomes about BPA. No one expects to fill major holes with 5th and 6th round rookies. But in the first two or 3 rounds, need must be considered, especially because so many of our needs were neglected in FA.

DesertFox24
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
A team with as many needs as the Bills doesn't have the luxury of going BPA in the first round. Need has to be conisdered.

I'm not saying to reach 6-8 picks, but if we have a T at 12 and BPA when #9 comes around is a DE or RB, it becomes a luxury pick and we have to go with the T.

Later in the draft, it becomes about BPA. No one expects to fill major holes with 5th and 6th round rookies. But in the first two or 3 rounds, need must be considered, especially because so many of our needs were neglected in FA.

I disagree we have so many holes. We have question marks with some young players on the roster already, but we dont have any major glaring holes at this point.

WR - Woods and Goodwin
Safety - Searcy, Williams, Meeks
OG - 6 bodies and this is probably the only hole but you dont take a guard at 9
RT - Hairston Pears are decent backups, Hairston could be more we just dont know. That being said I would love a RT in the first round and have been saying RT is third most important position on line behind LT and C
LB - address via FA but could draft some depth
DE - Mario and Hughes but need another draft pick for cheaper depth. I would expect a second or third rounder here.

All this being said yes we have positions without clear cut solid starters but so does every team in the league. That being said you go BPA in all rounds and if need be move around to ensure BPA is the position you want.

Also what Kiper and Mayock have their board is not waht the bills or any other team will have so what they have as s20th might be our 10th.

better days
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Dareus & Spikes were both late for meetings last year.

Maybe the Bills need to tell them the meeting starts a half an hour before it really does.

EDS
03-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Dareus & Spikes were both late for meetings last year.

Maybe the Bills need to tell them the meeting starts a half an hour before it really does.

I use that strategy with my wife!

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 11:16 AM
a 43 under doesn't basically use 34 philosophies that an oversimplification of the scheme based on nothing but the alignment.

Quite so. CIN plays a lot of 4-3 under with DTs Atkins and Peko.

mysticsoto
03-20-2014, 12:26 PM
If the Bills did go defense w/our 1st pick, the only probably people to select would be either Mack or Barr - both OLBs. With Kiko and Spikes, that means this person would take the other and Rivers would be backup/pinch hit. But you also have Manny Lawson too. So the move probably wouldn't make too much sense to do...although admittedly, that would be an awesome LB corps.

But right now, I'm hoping for a short trade down for them to grab Mike Evans a few picks lower, but grab an extra 2nd rounder. My ideal situation would be:

Trade down - probably to the low-mid teens:
1st rd pick: WR Mike Evans? or TE Ebron if he's still there when they pick.
2nd rd pick: RT
2nd rd pick: (from trade): LG
3rd pick: FS ? Or RG ?
BPA

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
I have been saying for a while that DL is a consideration early as well. Either one could be available in rd 2

Been saying the same here. A good DE that can rush the pass game, bounce back in pass protection as well as edge contain is seldom a poor choice, regardless of what you have., what with player movement. And with the rules favoring the pass and the multiple receiver sets, more clubs are stressing strong and quick DTs to get pressure.

BUF has aging KW, one-trick pony MW, and the others. Purely a guess, but I think that they might get a 5th rounder comp pick for Levitre, 4th if the other owners take pity and parity under consideration. (Hughes and Lawson got a lot of starts and snaps. That extra pick helps.

OpIv37
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Are people seriously complaining about the DL that led the league in sacks last year on a 6-10 team with a laundry list of bigger issues?

Mr. Pink
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
You could create a thread of merit and that would equally confuse everyone.

Is tomorrow the day where you make a thread stating the Bills are drafting a QB at 9th?

The last buffalo fan
03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I use that strategy with my wife!

Is she playing for the Bills too?

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Are people seriously complaining about the DL that led the league in sacks last year on a 6-10 team with a laundry list of bigger issues?

Sure...why not? Everything's on the table.

They went all out to gin up fan support (ticket sales) by madly rushing the passer and beating their chests about sacks. Did something similar for same reasons with the quick-paced offense - in that case to mask the OL, the quarterback carousel, and young wrs. Same as the Fitz years.

Since the playoff season of 1999, their season-by-season wins are 3,8,6,9,5,9,5,7,7,7,6,4,6,6,6. They are nothing if not consistent. :kid:

EDS
03-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Is she playing for the Bills too?

No, but she is friends with a few women who are married to Bills players (actually I think they are all ex-Bills at this point).

BillsImpossible
03-20-2014, 06:25 PM
You could create a thread of merit and that would equally confuse everyone.

Is tomorrow the day where you make a thread stating the Bills are drafting a QB at 9th?

Don't give me any ideas! (Whaley said he's not drafting a quarterback, period.)

What are the Bills going to do if Dareus shows up to camp late and overweight?

What happens if Mario Williams injures his left pinky toe?

What if Kyle Williams blows a right tire and goes out for the season?

If any 1 of these players gets injured (or benched) their absence would create a huge hole in the Bills defensive front.

I'm not comfortable with that situation at all.

I think DE is a position of need for the Bills that many fans are overlooking.

If Schwartz's front 4 can't put pressure on the qb, the entire defense is doomed to fail.

Last year doesn't count. Last year is over, toss it into the pile of seasons without a playoff birth.

Sacks from last year don't matter anymore, especially with a new DC.

If Kyle Williams was 27 and Mario was 26, I would have never created this topic.

The Bills are not young at the position.

The Jokeman
03-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't give me any ideas! (Whaley said he's not drafting a quarterback, period.)

What are the Bills going to do if Dareus shows up to camp late and overweight?

What happens if Mario Williams injures his left pinky toe?

What if Kyle Williams blows a right tire and goes out for the season?

If any 1 of these players gets injured (or benched) their absence would create a huge hole in the Bills defensive front.

I'm not comfortable with that situation at all.

I think DE is a position of need for the Bills that many fans are overlooking.

If Schwartz's front 4 can't put pressure on the qb, the entire defense is doomed to fail.

Last year doesn't count. Last year is over, toss it into the pile of seasons without a playoff birth.

Sacks from last year don't matter anymore, especially with a new DC.

If Kyle Williams was 27 and Mario was 26, I would have never created this topic.

The Bills are not young at the position.

The only way I see us going DE in the 1st Round is if Clowney for some off the wall reason fell to us. Other then that no other prospects grade as a top 10 pick at DE and be foolish taking the position. I can see taking a developmental guy in Rounds 3-5 though,

TigerJ
03-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Ealy ran a 4.93 40 at the combine, entirely too slow for what Jim Schwartz is going to want his defensive end to do if he runs the defense for which he's known. Both Tuit and Ealy would be significant reaches for the Bills at #9. I agree the Bills will be looking for a defensive end in this draft,but it's not happening in the first round.

YardRat
03-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Right tackle.

Next...

Raptor
03-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Take it up with Pete Carroll then because that's exactly what he said on Sirius radio when he was talking his defense with Pat Kirwin ...gonna go out on a limb here and say he knows slightly more than you about the defense

BillsFever21
03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Defensive End is the 6th position you have suggested the Bills will take with their 1st Round pick

There are 13 different positions(without counting certain positions twice like G, S, OLB, DE, OT, etc) on an NFL roster so if he picks enough of them he will increase his chances to tell himself he made a bold prediction.

JoeMama
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM

I would argue the opposite.

When you're an awful team, you can go BPA with considerably less blow-back than a team who has a 2-3 year window to win it all now.

Teams that are on the brink can reach for a need, because something random like a void at SS or SLB may put them over the top.

But when you're lousy like we are?

We might as well draft whoever the biggest game-changer is and never look back. Our blueprint to success is unsustainable. We clearly have no intention of retaining the best talent we draft, so we might as well play for BPA rather than need. Because we'll recycle needs year by year.

Besides, without the right HC/QB combo, everything else is ancillary.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it many times again. EJ Manuel is the only person who will decide if the Bills are a good team or a bad team year.