• Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

OBD is preparing us to draft a RT 1st round via Chris Brown

• DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: OBD is preparing us to draft a RT 1st round via Chris Brown

Taylor Lewan? Greg Robinson? Jake Matthews? If either are a stalwart future 10 year starter it wouldn't be horrible. Just please don't let it be the next Mike Williams.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

I agree with Chris Brown.

I would love to see a tackle at #9.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

I'm gonna be sick. What a horrible decision that would be. Hey, it's the Bills though, I expect them to make stupid picks like this. That's why it's been 15 years without the playoffs.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
          I'm gonna be sick. What a horrible decision that would be. Hey, it's the Bills though, I expect them to make stupid picks like this. That's why it's been 15 years without the playoffs.
          Actually, one of the main reasons the Bills have missed the playoffs since the 20th century is because they haven't spent enough 1st round picks on the O-line. Instead they've taken too many RBs (3) & DBs (3) and lacked enough big men. When Levy was GM, they tried to make up for it by overpaying mediocre free agent O-linemen millions. Buddy Nix took a different approach-he took guys like Pears & Urbik off the scrap heap & told us they were great steals & then signed each to extensions worth millions. Now each of their status is up in the air because we have coaches who know bad line play when they see it.
          The only 1st round O-line picks during the playoff drought are Eric Wood & the biggest gainer Mike Williams. That's what should make you sick of the 21st century of futility.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

To be fair, he's not literally saying they're going to take a RT. The article is simply explaining that they're now a much more important position than thy used to be. Could be trying to prep us fans for if they do take one, could be smokescreen, or it could be the usual situation wherein Chris Brown doesn't seem to have all that much insight as to what's happening.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
              To be fair, he's not literally saying they're going to take a RT. The article is simply explaining that they're now a much more important position than thy used to be. Could be trying to prep us fans for if they do take one, could be smokescreen, or it could be the usual situation wherein Chris Brown doesn't seem to have all that much insight as to what's happening.
              If they were going to draft a LT with the 9th pick, no one would question the value in terms of position. This article pretty much says RT is as valuable as LT in today's NFL. And that's from the mouth of Marrone, Bills director of Personnel etc.

Comment

• K-Gun
                Deal with it
                • Jul 2003

Could be the Bills can pick up a 2nd round pick to move down maybe just 2 or 3 spots with a team that really needs a francise OT. Although, I wouldn't be upset at all if we ended up with one of the top 3 OT's.
                [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                  If they were going to draft a LT with the 9th pick, no one would question the value in terms of position. This article pretty much says RT is as valuable as LT in today's NFL. And that's from the mouth of Marrone, Bills director of Personnel etc.
                  No argument here. But you might want to talk to the poster above, who is preparing for illness if the bills pick an RT
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Perfect selection.

I'd love to get Lewan at #9. Play him at RT, play him at LT. Move Cordy to RT or hell move Cordy inside. Makes a lot of sense.

imo no way Robinson or Matthews fall to 9.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

No argument here. But you might want to talk to the poster above, who is preparing for illness if the bills pick an RT
                      I understand what others are saying -- and I believe Buddy Nix might be in that camp as well -- that at #9 or in top 10 in general, you should draft a playmaker (and LT is considered a playmaker by most accounts). Right now on offense, we have Spiller and that's about it. A Mike Evans, or Ebron, if the Bills grade them out to be playmakers, would fit that criteria. There are several on defensive side as well, but I doubt we go there because we already have several on that side of the ball.

It probably comes down to the grades they give to the players.

This draft is deep in tackles. But outside of the top 3, they are not as complete in terms of both abilities of run/pass blocking. I can see them going that route - the 49ers model -- given the fact that they run as much as they did last year and seem to intend to build on that. However, if Watkins falls to them or they really believe Mike Evans is another Plaxico Burress, then they just can't pass ...

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                        Actually, one of the main reasons the Bills have missed the playoffs since the 20th century is because they haven't spent enough 1st round picks on the O-line. Instead they've taken too many RBs (3) & DBs (3) and lacked enough big men. When Levy was GM, they tried to make up for it by overpaying mediocre free agent O-linemen millions. Buddy Nix took a different approach-he took guys like Pears & Urbik off the scrap heap & told us they were great steals & then signed each to extensions worth millions. Now each of their status is up in the air because we have coaches who know bad line play when they see it.
                        The only 1st round O-line picks during the playoff drought are Eric Wood & the biggest gainer Mike Williams. That's what should make you sick of the 21st century of futility.
                        Right tackle at 9th overall when you have zero play makers on offense besides sometimes Spiller, and not real legit threats for your young QB to throw to is just plain stupid. Pass protection was not the issue for Manuel last year. Run blocking was not an issue for the Bills last year.

WHY THE **** ARE WE GONNA TAKE A RIGHT ****ING TACKLE AT 9TH OVERALL?

Get a RT in the 2nd or 3rd, I don't care. Not at 9. Get an impact player, one we desperately need because our entire rosters lacks them.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

The main reason the bills have not are the playoffs is QB play. The closest they got was when Bledsoe was here. Now the bills can keep making excuses of the QB needs better
                          Weapons or protection when all they really need is a good QB.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

good tackles make every skill player better
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              Perfect selection.

I'd love to get Lewan at #9. Play him at RT, play him at LT. Move Cordy to RT or hell move Cordy inside. Makes a lot of sense.

imo no way Robinson or Matthews fall to 9.
                              I don't understand why everyone wants to move Cordy? He was really good last season and there are only a handful of better LTs in the league. There's a pretty good chance that this year's batch of tackles won't ever be better than him.

Comment

Working...
                              X