PDA

View Full Version : Can EJ win games?

better days
03-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I think most would agree the Bills will have a GOOD defense.

So, how many points per game does EJ & the offense have to put up for the Bills to make the playoffs?

I think that number is 21 & I expect EJ to do that & the Bills to make the playoffs..................if EJ can stay healthy.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
In 2013 we averaged 21.2 ppg.

better days
03-20-2014, 10:17 AM

I think the Bills will give up fewer points next year by stopping the run.

justasportsfan
03-20-2014, 10:29 AM
can he? He already did vs. the panthers. Whether he can do it on a consistent basis is another question.

Gil Brandt, likened EJ to Cam Newton both coming out of college. He didn't think EJ would be as good as Cam but that all depends on how EJ is developed by the coaches.

I think the bills did the right thing by hiring a qb coach. Whether Downing is the right one is another question.

Buffalogic
03-20-2014, 11:03 AM
He should have won that Atlanta game too but the pass catchers betrayed him. He can do enough to win games in a complete team effort, but I think we can forget about him carrying the team on his back to win.

JoeMama
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
We kept games close last season. There were only a small handful uncompetitive blowouts.

We're not that far off from turning this thing around. But at this point it hinges solely on EJ Manuel. Either we have a QB and we win, or we don't have a QB and we lose.

If EJ stays healthy, protects the football, and improves his touch on the deep ball, we can win. We have enough talent on D to keep games close and thus make things more manageable from EJ's point of view on offense.

The biggest obstacle is his health.

And after three injuries to the same knee in 6 months, I'm very pessimistic about his chances of making it a full 16. That's a bad pattern.

Yasgur's Farm
03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
He should have won that Atlanta game too but the pass catchers betrayed him. He can do enough to win games in a complete team effort, but I think we can forget about him carrying the team on his back to win.He had that game won twice

The last buffalo fan
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
He should have won that Atlanta game too but the pass catchers betrayed him. He can do enough to win games in a complete team effort, but I think we can forget about him carrying the team on his back to win.

Cleveland's game too.

Meathead
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I think the bills did the right thing by hiring a qb coach. Whether Downing is the right one is another question.

dont forget that right after nathan pimple face hackett hired downing marrone went and hired former qb/wr coach/oc jim hostler and plunked him down right in the middle of the offense reporting directly to marrone himself

so really theres a qb coach and a qb coach mother superior with a big fat ruler in da house

Meathead
03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
i really believe ej will flourish this year. he had mixed results typical of almost any rookie, but i think hes got all the essentials: physical tools, the demeanor, the brains, and now the dedicated coaching

remember you heard it here first: we will see a completely different englebert jebediah manuel this season

justasportsfan
03-20-2014, 02:38 PM
dont forget that right after nathan pimple face hackett hired downing marrone went and hired former qb/wr coach/oc jim hostler and plunked him down right in the middle of the offense reporting directly to marrone himself

so really theres a qb coach and a qb coach mother superior with a big fat ruler in da house

yup. I am most intrigued by Hostler out of everyone we hired.

TacklingDummy
03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
can he? He already did vs. the panthers. Whether he can do it on a consistent basis is another question.

Hope he sent a Thank You card to Luke Kuechly.

TacklingDummy
03-20-2014, 03:33 PM
We kept games close last season. There were only a small handful uncompetitive blowouts.

With a good QB we were a playoff team.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I think most would agree the Bills will have a GOOD defense.

So, how many points per game does EJ & the offense have to put up for the Bills to make the playoffs?

I think that number is 21 & I expect EJ to do that & the Bills to make the playoffs..................if EJ can stay healthy.

IF, and its a big IF, EJ can stay healthy and work on his accuracy a bit, then I think that assuming the D can -- and damn it seems like I've been saying this for over a decade now -- force 3 and outs and stop the run then I think this team can get to the post season. What I am tired of is stupid football where the players don't keep their assignments and fumble away games. If we get swept by the Pats no problem, but losing year in and year out to Buc, Falcon, and Jag type teams has got to stop.

sudzy
03-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Can he win games? Yes he can. Will he get you to the playoffs? Nope.

better days
03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
IF, and its a big IF, EJ can stay healthy and work on his accuracy a bit, then I think that assuming the D can -- and damn it seems like I've been saying this for over a decade now -- force 3 and outs and stop the run then I think this team can get to the post season. What I am tired of is stupid football where the players don't keep their assignments and fumble away games. If we get swept by the Pats no problem, but losing year in and year out to Buc, Falcon, and Jag type teams has got to stop.

I agree except I think the time of being swept by the Pats* needs to stop NOW as well.

I think both Pepper Johnson & Spikes want to BEAT the Pats* every time the Bills play them..............time for that to happen.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I agree except I think the time of being swept by the Pats* needs to stop NOW as well.

I think both Pepper Johnson & Spikes want to BEAT the Pats* every time the Bills play them..............time for that to happen.

I agree, but I think that until PJ and Spikes and the Bills actually do sucker punch the Pats a few times that their statements are akin to the alcoholic who says "I'm going to stop drinking, and then goes to the bar and knocks a few back," or the guy who beats his wife and says I'm going to stop beating my wife, and then gets pissed off and beats his wife. Actions speak much louder than words, lets hope they can turn talk into action.

Night Train
03-20-2014, 05:40 PM
He gets another year and will sink or swim.

They'll get him more help in the draft. Has to stay healthy.

swiper
03-20-2014, 06:23 PM

How many of those games did Manuel play in though?

Meathead
03-20-2014, 06:25 PM
in this case we are the battered wife

Meathead
03-20-2014, 06:33 PM
here we are the cris hansen

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/76LD2cTQeSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM

With a good healthy QB we were a playoff team.

swiper
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM

Too bad they didn't have one on the roster.

BillsImpossible
03-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, EJ Manuel can win games.

After the Ravens game last year, I was sold.

Four days later my hopes and dreams for the season were crushed in Cleveland on a Thursday night, just when it looked like EJ Manuel was starting to hit liftoff.

F'ng Cleveland! First Ronny Harmon, now this?

That's when his season ended, in reality and reality sucks because EJ was well on his way to taking the Bills into the playoffs.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that had Manuel stayed healthy, the Bills would have won 3 more games. (Browns, Bengals, Chiefs)

Yasgur's Farm
03-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes, EJ Manuel can win games.

After the Ravens game last year, I was sold.

Four days later my hopes and dreams for the season were crushed in Cleveland on a Thursday night, just when it looked like EJ Manuel was starting to hit liftoff.

F'ng Cleveland! First Ronny Harmon, now this?

That's when his season ended, in reality and reality sucks because EJ was well on his way to taking the Bills into the playoffs.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that had Manuel stayed healthy, the Bills would have won 3 more games. (Browns, Bengals, Chiefs)Probably the Falcons too.. He should have beat them and would have if not for injury set backs coupled with veteran fumbles.

YardRat
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I think the best aspect of his game that EJ showed last season was his ability to move the offense effectively during crunch times. That's a great sign. We don't need him to win all of the games, that's up to the defense, oline etc to dominate and put us in a position to win. If he can somewhat consistently deliver points when they are needed most, that's all I need, and will lead to a few wins per year. It's highly unlikely he'll ever even get close to a Manning or Brady type status, but then again how many QB's have? I not sure fans today realize how special those two are...very few QB's in the entire history of the league could ever actually carry a team, and this generation has seen two of them at the same time.

BillsImpossible
03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
I think the best aspect of his game that EJ showed last season was his ability to move the offense effectively during crunch times. That's a great sign. We don't need him to win all of the games, that's up to the defense, oline etc to dominate and put us in a position to win. If he can somewhat consistently deliver points when they are needed most, that's all I need, and will lead to a few wins per year. It's highly unlikely he'll ever even get close to a Manning or Brady type status, but then again how many QB's have? I not sure fans today realize how special those two are...very few QB's in the entire history of the league could ever actually carry a team, and this generation has seen two of them at the same time.

The other Manning carries his team too, and he has twice as many Super Bowl wins as Big Brother Manning.

Big Ben carries the Steelers. Tony Romo carries the Cowboys. Joe Flacco carries the Ravens. Rodgers carries the Packers with a discount double check.

Brees carries the Saints, Luck carries the Colts, Kaepernick carries the 49ers, Rivers carries the Chargers, and Wilson carries the Seahawks.

Is EJ Manuel one of them?

Hate to say it, but I don't think he is.

YardRat
03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
The other Manning carries his team too, and he has twice as many Super Bowl wins as Big Brother Manning.

Big Ben carries the Steelers. Tony Romo carries the Cowboys. Joe Flacco carries the Ravens. Rodgers carries the Packers with a discount double check.

Brees carries the Saints, Luck carries the Colts, Kaepernick carries the 49ers, Rivers carries the Chargers, and Wilson carries the Seahawks.

Is EJ Manuel one of them?

Hate to say it, but I don't think he is.

Couldn't disagree more. None of those listed have actually carried their teams the way Manning and Brady can...none. Most (Eli, Romo, Flacco, Brees, Kap, Wilson...) aren't even close.

alohabillsfan
03-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Gil Brandt, likened EJ to Cam Newton both coming out of college. He didn't think EJ would be as good as Cam but that all depends on how EJ is developed by the coaches.

That may be the worst comparison ever! EJ started for 3 years and cam started for one. EJ can beat average teams not the elite ones. (See college career)