PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Lewan faces assault charges

Don't Panic
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10639453/nfl-draft-prospect-taylor-lewan-facing-3-charges

Dropping stock? No worry?

sukie
03-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Meh... Trade down anyway.

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Don't let your daughters date football players.

X-Era
03-20-2014, 02:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10639453/nfl-draft-prospect-taylor-lewan-facing-3-charges

Dropping stock? No worry?
A fight outside a bar is no big deal in most cases. On the surface that incident probably wouldn't scare many teams away.

The issue I have is that they charged him with 3 counts and he says that some guys said he slugged him... That would be one count, not three. Something doesn't jive there. And he says he was breaking up a fight but no one else was charged...

On top of that, to be charged they would have to have evidence or a witness. So there has to be more to it or it just doesn't make sense. Lewan's account doesn't fit the charges and seems to not make sense IMO.

It's worth getting more details on if you're a team interested in him.

stuckincincy
03-20-2014, 03:10 PM
A fight outside a bar is no big deal in most cases. On the surface that incident probably wouldn't scare many teams away.

The issue I have is that they charged him with 3 counts and he says that some guys said he slugged him... That would be one count, not three. Something doesn't jive there. And he says he was breaking up a fight but no one else was charged...

On top of that, to be charged they would have to have evidence or a witness. So there has to be more to it or it just doesn't make sense. Lewan's account doesn't fit the charges and seems to not make sense IMO.

It's worth getting more details on if you're a team interested in him.

Were I a college player about to realize my life-long dream, the last thing I would do would do is to habituate the bars. Buy a case and guzzle it at home. Whether the charges are valid or not, he and whatever stands for as parents these days are idiots. Stay home and wait for the call...

better days
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Were I a college player about to realize my life-long dream, the last thing I would do would do is to habituate the bars. Buy a case and guzzle it at home. Whether the charges are valid or not, he and whatever stands for as parents these days are idiots. Stay home and wait for the call...

Yeah right. A YOUNG guy about to be drafted is NOT going to sit at home twiddling his thumbs.

He is going to go out & enjoy his life. Spit happens. I doubt it will be any big deal.

And this happened on DECEMBER 1 2013. ESPN is writing about it NOW? Hmn I wonder why that is?

swiper
03-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Swiper believes Lewan's explanation. I think it's the truth. He loses no draft standing over this.

In fact, he should be honored if he hit an Ohio State fan.

swiper
03-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Yeah right. A YOUNG guy about to be drafted is NOT going to sit at home twiddling his thumbs.

He is going to go out & enjoy his life. Spit happens. I doubt it will be any big deal.

And this happened on DECEMBER 1 2013. ESPN is writing about it NOW? Hmn I wonder why that is?

I suggest you re-read your own article. It answers you in paragraphs number 2 and 8. ROFL @ you.

better days
03-20-2014, 04:25 PM
I suggest you re-read your own article. It answers you in paragraphs number 2 and 8. ROFL @ you.

Which articles would that be?

Are you referring to the article Don't Panic linked?

I would not call that my own article. And I still think ESPN is reporting on it NOW, because the draft is around the corner.

swiper
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Sorry. Yeah. That guys article. They said why they are talking about it again. How do you know they didn't report it back then btw?

Meathead
03-20-2014, 05:18 PM
http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2013/12/38079_5adaf66d3f1312bb4ac19a5c363a4273.jpg

Meathead
03-20-2014, 05:19 PM
welp appears the likelihood of wr or te has suddenly risen

Night Train
03-20-2014, 05:22 PM
That reads "charges dropped " .

I'd still pick him and think " great pick ". Has the game film and moved impressively at the Indy Combine.

Looks like a long term starter at either tackle position. 6-7 310 with a big wingspan.

Meathead
03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
That reads "charges dropped " .

huh?

google news not reporting anything like that

The Jokeman
03-20-2014, 07:14 PM
No surprise about this report. Heck Kiko Alonso didn't have a great track record coming into the season and look how good he was off the field for us this year. Heck Duke Williams had a sketchy past too as well as a few other rookies from last year. Personally I can't see the Bills passing on Lewan at pick 9 unless they really think Ebron or Evans are going to be great but to me the best pick at 9 is Lewan assuming Matthews and Richardson are gone.

cookie G
03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
He's going to be scrutinized...and already has been. It isn't just this assault charge, it is the intimidation of a witness thing from his freshman year, when he allegedly threatened a rape victim. Considering he was formally warned about it and threatened with criminal charges if it happened again (That's not something you should get a mere warning), and the kicker was kicked out of school last December, it doesn't seem like a baseless allegation.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2014/02/33544/sports-illustrated-latest-details-gibbons-case-may-leave-many-unanswered-questions

Any scouting department with half a brain isn't going to accept his denial(s) at face value.

If there is truth to either of these...I'm passing on him.

WagonCircler
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
That's OK. I'd rather see Enroth get more playing time.

Oh.... wait.....

better days
03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Sorry. Yeah. That guys article. They said why they are talking about it again. How do you know they didn't report it back then btw?

ESPN may have reported it before.

Most likely they did.

I believe they are updating it NOW because the draft is around the corner.

Don't Panic
03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't know. Questionable character is one thing but this guy is shaping up to be a real douche. I'm still hoping Matthews slides so it's a non-issue. If he doesn't, grab Evans and don't look back.

better days
03-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I don't know. Questionable character is one thing but this guy is shaping up to be a real douche. I'm still hoping Matthews slides so it's a non-issue. If he doesn't, grab Evans and don't look back.

To me the assault is no biggie but the intimidation of a rape victim is another thing altogether.

Lewan looks like a real douche.

DraftBoy
03-21-2014, 06:13 AM
This has been out there for a while and most NFL teams have already done the eval. Hard to say what the stock impact is/will be. The article says the punishment will be minimal at a maximum.

Maybe some teams take him down a few slots but I think he's still the consensus #3 OT and a target at 9.

Raptor
03-21-2014, 07:18 AM
No impact on his draft stock

coastal
03-22-2014, 05:11 AM
This is the NFL.

character has nothing to do with it.

TedMock
03-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Incidents are all well documented and he's been asked about them ad nauseum by now. No effect on his draft position.