The plot thickens. Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    • Sep 2010

The plot thickens. Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Originally posted by PFT
    Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick

The Texans haven’t yet identified their franchise quarterback of the future, but they have identified a veteran who could serve as a short-term starter and/or a veteran mentor to the No. 1 overall pick.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick, formerly of the Titans, has signed with the Texans today. Ed Werder of ESPN reports that it’s a two-year deal.

This move makes clear — if it wasn’t clear already — that veteran quarterback Matt Schaub will not remain in Houston. Schaub is still under contract, but the Texans will either trade him or cut him.

The 31-year-old Fitzpatrick started nine games last year and has previously been a starter in Buffalo and Cincinnati, and he could start in Houston this year. If the Texans use the first overall pick in the NFL draft on a quarterback like Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel, they may decide to ease their rookie quarterback into the NFL and start the season with Fitzpatrick under center. If the Texans don’t use the first overall pick on a quarterback, Fitzpatrick would likely beat out Case Keenum and T.J. Yates for the starting job.
    The Texans haven't yet identified their franchise quarterback of the future, but they have identified a veteran who could serve as a short-term starter and/or a veteran mentor to the No. 1 overall pick.

Hope the Bills get Schaub. He was the league's leading passer in 2009. They need a real QB on the roster.
    Last edited by swiper; 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: The plot thickens. Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick.

gotta admit id be all over that if i was nappy
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-fitzpatrick/

Hope the Bills get Schaub. He was the league's leading passer in 2009. They need a real QB on the roster.
      The hot rumor is the Raiders want Schaub but the question is do they trade for him or will the Texans just release him? As with Fitzpatrick signed they now have a veteran backup they can draft Broyles/Maziel/Bridgewater if want.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

I'd be ok with the Bills going after the Texans scapegoat.

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          The hot rumor is the Raiders want Schaub but the question is do they trade for him or will the Texans just release him? As with Fitzpatrick signed they now have a veteran backup they can draft Broyles/Maziel/Bridgewater if want.
          That may take the Raiders out of the QB rush in round 1, which may be bad for the Bills, who sadly don't seem to be in the QB rush in round 1.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

That may take the Raiders out of the QB rush in round 1, which may be bad for the Bills, who sadly don't seem to be in the QB rush in round 1.
            Why? Do any of the QB prospects in Round 1 really grade better than Manuel? To me Bortles is the best prospect and he'll likely be gone after pick on as the Bill O'Brien/George O'Leary connection makes him a perfect fit as he offers the best measurable of any QB in the discussion of being a top 10 pick. Johnny Football is reminiscent of so many other Heisman trophy winning QBs who struggled in the pros as he lacks NFL size and to me his lack of size and that he's not a true pocket QB makes me uncertain of him. Bridgewater's numbers in school were great but his stock seems to be falling quite a bit and it reminds me of Geno Smiths fall last year. Call me a homer but I think EJ has a chance to be better than all three of them. As he showed good things last year and think the only reason we have questions around him is his injuries. As when he did play I think he showed what you see from most rookie QBs but I really liked that he was able to sustain drives and in most games avoid turnovers and he seems like a true leader and his teammates support him. Unlike Geno Smith who was a gambler and never took criticisms that people pointed on his poor play to heart. Time will tell how good EJ will be but I think if we can add a veteran WR to the mix, find an answer at RT and the defense plays as well as it did last year we could be talking Wild Card as soon as 2014.
            Last edited by The Jokeman; 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Schaub has been linked to Cleveland for about a month now.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

I hope the Texans take Manziel #1 but I doubt that happens.

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

Why? Do any of the QB prospects in Round 1 really grade better than Manuel? To me Bortles is the best prospect and he'll likely be gone after pick on as the Bill O'Brien/George O'Leary connection makes him a perfect fit as he offers the best measurable of any QB in the discussion of being a top 10 pick. Johnny Football is reminiscent of so many other Heisman trophy winning QBs who struggled in the pros as he lacks NFL size and to me his lack of size and that he's not a true pocket QB makes me uncertain of him. Bridgewater's numbers in school were great but his stock seems to be falling quite a bit and it reminds me of Geno Smiths fall last year. Call me a homer but I think EJ has a chance to be better than all three of them. As he showed good things last year and think the only reason we have questions around him is his injuries. As when he did play I think he showed what you see from most rookie QBs but I really liked that he was able to sustain drives and in most games avoid turnovers and he seems like a true leader and his teammates support him. Unlike Geno Smith who was a gambler and never took criticisms that people pointed on his poor play to heart. Time will tell how good EJ will be but I think if we can add a veteran WR to the mix, find an answer at RT and the defense plays as well as it did last year we could be talking Wild Card as soon as 2014.
                  There are better Qbs than Manuel. Manuel sucks.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

no to schaub. he couldn't stop throwing picks last year. he was unseeded by an undrafted QB. his time has come and gone.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-fitzpatrick/

Yeah well the 2nd leading passer in 2008 was Kurt Warner, should we go get him?

This was 5 years ago...Schaub was terrible last year. No thanks.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

This is utter insanity. Fitz got tarred and feathered and ran out of town just a couple of years ago.... Now people are saying the guy about to ge cut in favor of Fitz is a "real QB?"

We are not going to win with other teams' trash no matter how many times we try it.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

Any team that needs a QB and passes on Manziel are idiots. Of course he could be a bust but who knows. He's proven on a college level he is an elite QB. He's done what he needed to do to get to this stage.

I love Fitz got picked up. $4 million guaranteed. Nice.
                          Last edited by imbondz; 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM.
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Trade him

The Oakland Raiders have traded a sixth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft to the Houston Texans in exchange for quarterback Matt Schaub, the Raiders announced Friday.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                              • Jul 2005

Well it is a moot point now, but I do not want Schaub, Sanchez, Rex Groosman, or Fitz on this team.

I say ride with the QBs they have and maybe draft a later round guy to compete with Tuel, Dixon, Lewis for the 2nd and 3rd spots.

EJ is going to get all the reps he can handle this year and we are going to rise or fall on his shoulders, should we fall then next year get a vet QB and draft another high.

Comment

Working...
                              X