PDA

View Full Version : Can't the Texans pick up a QB at our 9th spot ? If so let's swap.

Skooby
03-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I'd like to get Clowney, so let's give them our 2nd round pick & Stevie Johnson (who won't follow directions).

sukie
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
done... where do I send the paperwork for signatures of acceptence?

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2014, 01:33 PM
And why would Houston do this?

X-Era
03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
I'd like to get Clowney, so let's give them our 2nd round pick & Stevie Johnson (who won't follow directions).
Eeeww... from about 6 different angles.

GingerP
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM

It would take a lot more than that. First of all, Houston is tight up against the cap so taking on Johnson would be an issue for them, they would have to cut players or restructure deals to make that happen. SJ's value with his contract is probably a mid-round pick at best.

Also, they would want a lot more in terms of draft picks. The Redskins traded up to get RGIII by giving up 3 1sts and a 2nd to get the 1st needed. Atlanta traded up for Julio Jones by giving up 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 4ths, in a draft with little value at the top. If you want to trade up, you are going to have to start with multiple 1sts and add on to that.

Ginger Vitis
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Skoobs these trade scenarios you dream up you never offer anywhere close to enough compensation going to the other team

TigerJ
03-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Yes, there will be a QB available at #9. The question is who and how many? Your trade suggestion assumes that Houston doesn't really care which QB they get as long as they get a QB. I cannot imagine that this is anywhere close to the truth. It is not even necessarily true that the Texans will draft a QB at #1 if they stay there. Heck, they might want Clowney.

Skooby
03-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Yes, there will be a QB available at #9. The question is who and how many? Your trade suggestion assumes that Houston doesn't really care which QB they get as long as they get a QB. I cannot imagine that this is anywhere close to the truth. It is not even necessarily true that the Texans will draft a QB at #1 if they stay there. Heck, they might want Clowney.

It's a calculated risk but if the Texans like a few QB's equally, trading down to a area that assures you'll get one of them while picking up value is a prudent move. There's probably going to be 2-3 more non-QB's that will get hot & move into the top 10, virtually assuring multiple QB's available at our 9th spot. Heck, Houston could draft Clowney & then see their QB they wanted fall into our lap as well. Please don't bother with the why didn't they draft them in the first place either, it being an attempt to gain additional value.

BillsFever21
03-22-2014, 05:30 PM
I can see the Texans war room bursting out laughing in tears when Skooby called up with this offer.

swiper
03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Skooby being skooby. Spare us this junk.

Homegrown
03-23-2014, 01:35 PM
git 'er done OBD

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
yea,

I think that we should trade ej manuel for tom brady, then spiller for adrian peterson, then stevie johnson for calvin johnson and then move down the draft a few picks and get Blake Bortles

BillsFever21
03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Better yet why not just trade our 1st round pick and EJ Manuel to the Colts for Andrew Luck and their 2nd round pick? Perfect deal for everyone.

BillsFever21
03-23-2014, 08:33 PM
We might as well see if they want to trade JJ Watt while they're at it. We can give them Alan Branch and a 3rd round pick as compensation.

BertSquirtgum
03-23-2014, 09:55 PM

I can't believe how realistic this trade scenario is.

BuffaloRedleg
03-24-2014, 01:57 AM
Is there a "force trade" option like in NHL 2007????

Skooby
03-28-2014, 10:48 AM
You'll see logic play out now:

@DanPompei on twitter is reporting that the Texans are trying hard to move the pick, and the Bills are very interested. I'm not sure how credible he is, but he has almost 30 thousand followers, and his bio says he has been covering the nfl for 29 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The swap of picks is very realistic, the compensation I can't say for sure.

alohabillsfan
03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Id take Mack over Clowney, but that's just me....

Skooby
05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/bills-making-calls-about-a-trade-to-no-1-or-no-2/

Novacane
05-07-2014, 01:33 PM

If they would take that do it but they won't.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Funny how that came up huh.

Some think the Bills would be willing to dangle receiver Stevie Johnson as part of a trade package,

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/bills-making-calls-about-a-trade-to-no-1-or-no-2/

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah - but it would still be way more that what you said

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Johnson seems to have a hefty contract...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7647122/buffalo-bills-sign-stevie-johnson-extension

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stevie-johnson/

And what about dead money?

Given that there were what, 3 or 4 non-sell-outs last season, why would a team pay that? In this age of cheap rookies?

Barnum was so right...

Skooby
05-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah - but it would still be way more that what you said

Agreed, can't be sure what it might take but swap first / giving them our 2nd & Stevie is probably the tip of the iceberg.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Funny how that came up huh.

Yes, it's funny that you still think it's possible. Very very very funny.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes, it's funny that you still think it's possible. Very very very funny.

I had to jab you back, it's a respect thing.

The Jokeman
05-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Citing "word on the street," ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that the Texans are asking the Falcons for a Robert Griffin III-like trade haul to get from No. 6 overall to No. 1.."
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney/1

I'm sure if the Texans move to #9 the asking price will be even more and as let's not forget the Redskins sent the Rams three first-round picks and a second-round pick to get RGIII. I'm sorry that's way too much for the Bills to give away. I think all this talk is either a ploy by the Bills to hope that showing interest in Robinson will cause someone elses stock to fall or a ploy by the Texans to get more out of the Falcons then their offering to move up. Personally I think it's more the latter as honestly there was no peep from the Bills out all last year that we were looking to trade down or even which QB was high on their board as Manuel wasn't really talked about. The media felt Nassib was the logical connection and there was some talk just before the draft we wanted Barkley. Honestly I think the Bills are just going to sit and wait and see who falls between Matthews, Evans or Ebron and take one of them. I think Ebron makes the most logical sense at being available and fits the need.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 04:50 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney/1

I'm sure if the Texans move to #9 the asking price will be even more and as let's not forget the Redskins sent the Rams three first-round picks and a second-round pick to get RGIII. I'm sorry that's way too much for the Bills to give away. I think all this talk is either a ploy by the Bills to hope that showing interest in Robinson will cause someone elses stock to fall or a ploy by the Texans to get more out of the Falcons then their offering to move up. Personally I think it's more the latter as honestly there was no peep from the Bills out all last year that we were looking to trade down or even which QB was high on their board as Manuel wasn't really talked about. The media felt Nassib was the logical connection and there was some talk just before the draft we wanted Barkley. Honestly I think the Bills are just going to sit and wait and see who falls between Matthews, Evans or Ebron and take one of them. I think Ebron makes the most logical sense at being available and fits the need.

Ebron can't block & he's more like a WR, which we have plenty of now with Williams here.

The Jokeman
05-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Ebron can't block & he's more like a WR, which we have plenty of now with Williams here.

If it were me I'd prefer Matthews or Lewan but honestly the more you look at the roster the more Ebron makes sense. Are Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley great blockers? Nope and neither was Aaron Hernandez yet they still played a role on their teams. If you look back at Syracuse the TE played a big role in their offense. Yes, Stevie was hurt last year but our most productive receiver? Yep our TE in Scott Chandler but most agree Chandler isn't a difference maker in the passing game but Ebron could be. While it might not show in 2014 it could show in 2015 or 2016.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
If it were me I'd prefer Matthews or Lewan but honestly the more you look at the roster the more Ebron makes sense. Are Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley great blockers? Nope and neither was Aaron Hernandez yet they still played a role on their teams. If you look back at Syracuse the TE played a big role in their offense. Yes, Stevie was hurt last year but our most productive receiver? Yep our TE in Scott Chandler but most agree Chandler isn't a difference maker in the passing game but Ebron could be. While it might not show in 2014 it could show in 2015 or 2016.

Really nice points but if the Bills don't win now 15 / 16' aren't likely to be with Whaley.

The Jokeman
05-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Really nice points but if the Bills don't win now 15 / 16' aren't likely to be with Whaley.

The realist in me feels if the Bills can find a suitable RT (which I think can be had with our 1st or 2nd Round pick) and the offense steps up to be middle of the pack in passing which could happen Manuel takes a Tannehill rookie to 2nd year type improvement and the D doesn't fall apart and improves against the run under Schwartz we could be a true wild card contender in 2014 as think we could finish 9-7 this year.