PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tricks: Will BUF trade down?

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 09:33 AM
The rookie cap is an incentive to stock up on picks and replace vets with low-cost rookies. The NFLPA pushed for the cap, got it, and last year FA vets were crabbing that their opportunities for re-employment were lessened. Duh - cause and effect.

Add in the rising salary cap minimum to the mix.

Opinions - thoughts - comments?

swiper
03-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Texans to trade down to Buffalo. Bills to take Bortles.

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 09:41 AM

Stop the presses! :jig:

better days
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM
The biggest reason to trade down this year is that this is a DEEP draft with so many underclassmen in it.

Mr. Miyagi
03-24-2014, 11:35 AM
The biggest reason to trade down this year is that this is a DEEP draft with so many underclassmen in it.
And that's why no one will want to trade up.

- - - Updated - - -

Just be glad we're not stuck with #3 this year.

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 01:29 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Just be glad we're not stuck with #3 this year.

No - trading up and down, with the rookie cap, may be lively. If I may drag out an old buzz word, it's the new "paradigm".

Meathead
03-24-2014, 01:59 PM
if one of their blue chippers is still there at nine then no way they trade down. and it takes somebody else to have a board with a blue chipper still on it to want to trade up, which seems highly unlikely. itd put the trade down chance at about five pcent

Fixxxer
03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
In a very deep draft (as the experts say) few will want to trade up.

better days
03-24-2014, 02:15 PM
I agree, unless some player is there at #9 that another team absolutely loves, it is doubtful the Bills could find a partner to trade with.

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 02:22 PM
In a very deep draft (as the experts say) few will want to trade up.

I wonder about that.

With the rookie cap, moving up in the top ten isn't the liability it once was, and in addition, the union contract says all clubs are restricted to a finite amount of cash they can spend for all their picks.

The NFLPA, their existing members, demanded and got a salary structure that filled their pockets full of owner money and slapped incoming rookies in the face and the wallet. While the players are a union, they are really more like a medieval trade guild. Rookies, the young, are dirt. That's Union 101.

So the owners strike back. The players have their agents. It is all a business, and since there is no end in sight of the NFL popularity, multimillionaire players demand, multimillionaire owners balk...

swiper
03-26-2014, 04:16 PM
I wonder about that.

With the rookie cap, moving up in the top ten isn't the liability it once was, and in addition, the union contract says all clubs are restricted to a finite amount of cash they can spend for all their picks.

The NFLPA, their existing members, demanded and got a salary structure that filled their pockets full of owner money and slapped incoming rookies in the face and the wallet. While the players are a union, they are really more like a medieval trade guild. Rookies, the young, are dirt. That's Union 101.

So the owners strike back. The players have their agents. It is all a business, and since there is no end in sight of the NFL popularity, multimillionaire players demand, multimillionaire owners balk...

Exactly why a bad team with a lot of needs may trade out of the top ten to get more picks a little further down in a deep draft. Maybe they can get 2 blue-chip players instead of just one.

Night Train
03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Teams will always think of moving into the top 10, so Bills should get a couple calls. The overdrafting of the QB's will push better talent down. Yet picking up additional picks to move down a few spots isn't the worst idea. It's all about the 8 selections prior.

Bill Cody
03-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Teams will always do what they perceive to be in their best interest. If they have a glaring need, especially at QB, that is ample reason trade up. It all depends who is on the board when we pick and what other teams needs are. Right now we don't know any of that.

tomz
03-26-2014, 06:46 PM

I would be happy with the trade except selecting Clowney.

Goobylal
03-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Bortles? LOL! He'll be a bust.

TigerJ
03-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't think Buffalo is likely to trade down. They would do so IMO only if there was no player available that they like. I don't think that will happen. I think the players they would consider drafting at #9 are Matthews, Watkins, Lewan, Evans, and Ebron. I think - out of the five are likely to be available.

YardRat
03-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Well, they certainly aren't Foreigner's to the concept, since they did it last year. If they do, hopefully they can Styx it to another team looking to move up and get another second. It would be almost Nirvana to score three more starters in a consecutive drafts, and definitely the Genesis for returning to the playoffs. As long as, of course, the locker room personalities don't Clash and the players can stay out of trouble with the Police.

Mace
03-29-2014, 10:06 PM
The rookie cap is an incentive to stock up on picks and replace vets with low-cost rookies. The NFLPA pushed for the cap, got it, and last year FA vets were crabbing that their opportunities for re-employment were lessened. Duh - cause and effect.

Add in the rising salary cap minimum to the mix.

Opinions - thoughts - comments?

It's a deep draft, maybe 12 elite prospects to help you right away and not a terrible drop off if you get two of the next tier. I'd be fine if they traded down. It's a good draft to get younger and cheaper, for any team.

I think the only the things that would upset me this draft, are if they traded up, or drafted a QB, Punter, Kicker or RB in the first round.

Don't Panic
03-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm all about the trade down. The key is having a guy slide to our slot that is extremely desirable, like last year. Could Bridgewater be that guy?

I am am very excited to see Whaley run a draft for the first time. He has the element of surprise on other teams just this once... let's hope he uses it we'll.

stuckincincy
03-30-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm all about the trade down. The key is having a guy slide to our slot that is extremely desirable, like last year. Could Bridgewater be that guy?

I am am very excited to see Whaley run a draft for the first time. He has the element of surprise on other teams just this once... let's hope he uses it we'll.

Good point. I've generally liked the PGH drafts through the years, although unfortunately for them, injuries have hit their top picks time to time.