PDA

View Full Version : John Kryk Doug Whaley Q&A

DesertFox24
03-24-2014, 01:40 PM
http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/q-and-a-gm-doug-whaley-says-bills-were-not-in-michael-vick-hunt-that-rivers-and-spikes-were-at-the-top-of-his-free-agent-board-and-a-lot-more/

I read the article and I sort of get the feeling that if Mike Evans is on the board he will be our guy. Granted this is smoke screen season so it could also be a ruse to get someone to trade up in front of us to draft him.

I will say thought this will be a very interesting draft.

Whaley legitimately believes that he filled most of the holes or question marks with UFA or young players already on the roster. This could be correct ala Aaron Williams played great at safety or this could be a disaster LG comes to mind.

I just get the feeling though that he is being honest about Mike Evans and that if he is there Evans will be a Bill.

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 01:48 PM
No doubt the rest of the league would like to see BUF draft another wr...

YardRat
03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
I edited the thread title, to take the 'h' out of 'Dough'.

DieHrdBillsFan23
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
What I took from that...we are probably going to be keeping 2 kickers; a kickoff guy (Hobkins) and an accurate FG kicker (Carpenter)

stuckincincy
03-24-2014, 02:03 PM
What I took from that...we are probably going to be keeping 2 kickers; a kickoff guy (Hobkins) and an accurate FG kicker (Carpenter)

I've read that one of the proposals in this week's NFL owner's meeting is to move the KO up to the 40. IMO, the NFL wants to eliminate the kickoff game...IIRC, two years ago they eliminated the 3-man return wedge.

If they move the KO out to the 40, no one will pay for a deep kicker, or a returner, for that matter.

ParanoidAndroid
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM
The 40? I could kick that through the endzone.

OLDSRIP
03-24-2014, 05:05 PM
In 1974 the kick offs were moved from the 40 back to the 35 because the NFL wanted to have more returns to add exciting plays 40 years later they decide it added to much excitement and move ot back. Damn lawyers.

gonzo1105
03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
I think it might be smart to keep both. If Carpenter keeps it up great but before he came to buffalo he was really erratic. If he returns that you can give Hopkins a chance

feldspar
03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
I edited the thread title, to take the 'h' out of 'Dough'.

D'oh!

The Jokeman
03-25-2014, 09:45 AM
http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/q-and-a-gm-doug-whaley-says-bills-were-not-in-michael-vick-hunt-that-rivers-and-spikes-were-at-the-top-of-his-free-agent-board-and-a-lot-more/

I read the article and I sort of get the feeling that if Mike Evans is on the board he will be our guy. Granted this is smoke screen season so it could also be a ruse to get someone to trade up in front of us to draft him.

I will say thought this will be a very interesting draft.

Whaley legitimately believes that he filled most of the holes or question marks with UFA or young players already on the roster. This could be correct ala Aaron Williams played great at safety or this could be a disaster LG comes to mind.

I just get the feeling though that he is being honest about Mike Evans and that if he is there Evans will be a Bill.

It feels that way because of the questions asked by the interviewer. As all I really took from it is that we aren't really looking at Johnny Manziel the way Whaley answered that question. One thing that did concern me is Whaley act's like free agency is over already with some of his answers. To me these weeks when the under the radar guys are available and you nab is what marks great GMs is that they can find guys that will work well with their coaches systems etc. It's one thing I've always felt was lacking here under several regimes. As all too often we'd sign a guy who doesn't fit our scheme etc. The last time I remember us adding guys to fit the coaching staff needs is when we brought in Ted Washington and Bryce Paup in part because of Wade's running the 3-4. Last year we did that a little bit by adding Lawson but not so much being he's played in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

chernobylwraiths
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
I think Paup came in and left before Wade was here.

The Jokeman
03-25-2014, 10:05 AM

But what he'd gotten himself into was an optimal situation. In the off-season Buffalo coach Marv Levy had hired former Denver Broncos coach Wade Phillips to be his defensive coordinator. Phillips installed a hyperaggressive 3-4 scheme that the players loved. While the Packers had moved Paup around like a chess piece, Phillips had a very specific job in mind for him: Paup was going to line up over the tight end and rush the quarterback all game.

http://www.si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007804/2/index.htm

chernobylwraiths
03-25-2014, 10:10 AM

nope, I was wrong

chernobylwraiths
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Wade has always been a very good defensive coordinator. We should have tried to hire him.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-25-2014, 10:20 AM
I love the questions:

Stephon Gilmore is still just starting to hit his potential, isn’t he.

With those big hands, grabbing on and being physical is a big part of his game, isn’t it.

When you see Texas A&M’s Mike Evans, do you worry that his frame is almost too big? That if he eats three pizzas he’s going to look like a tight end?

lol