PDA

View Full Version : "The Bills will not be a Multiple defense"-D.Marrone

Raptor
03-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Thats from John Kryk at the owners meetings interviewing Marrone

I know some of you had this delusion that Schwartz would incorperate the 4-3, 3-4, wide 9, ect all together and that it somehow wouldnt be a drastic change from last year. Reality, the Bills will be a wide 9 defense. Schwartz will go with what he knows and what got him to where he is today

I've got a bad feeling about this defense this year, I think we are looking at a step backwards

DraftBoy
03-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Ugh...

Skooby
03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
LOL, time to take the under in wins.

T-Long
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
at least it's not the Cover 2

Pinkerton Security
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
On a positive note, this is an aggressive D still. Hopefully we can still utilize the skills of Mario, Hughes and our interior D-line to pressure the QB and force turnovers as we did last year.

justasportsfan
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
On a positive note, this is an aggressive D still. Hopefully we can still utilize the skills of Mario, Hughes and our interior D-line to pressure the QB and force turnovers as we did last year.

I hope so too, because I wasn't impressed with the Lions' DL. Maybe now that he isn't a HC, he can focus just on the D 24/7.

Buffalogic
03-25-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm impressed with the 6th highest ranked run defense that line in Detroit was able to put up last year.

delectrolux
03-25-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm looking all over for a quote about this, but can't find anything. The only thing I've found is a quote from Spikes on 3/17 that they will have a base 4-3, but nothing about them not switching it up at all.

The free-agent signee held a conference call with Bills media. On it, I asked him if it was his understanding he will be employed as a middle linebacker in a base 4-3 defence, flat out. Spikes’ reply:

“Yeah, absolutely. I’ll be in the middle and it reminds me of the defensive scheme I played all four years at Florida and I played at a high level and had a lot of success. I’m looking forward to it.”
New defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has publicly refused to slap any numerical label on the defence he intends to implement. It’s widely known he’s a 4-3 guy, and has favoured the ‘Wide 9′ alignment within that brand.

Can you post a link stating that they will NOT be a multiple defense? I'd love to read the context the statement was made in.

Goobylal
03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm looking all over for a quote about this, but can't find anything. The only thing I've found is a quote from Spikes on 3/17 that they will have a base 4-3, but nothing about them not switching it up at all.

Can you post a link stating that they will NOT be a multiple defense? I'd love to read the context the statement was made in.
It also goes against what Schwartz said in his PC.

GingerP
03-25-2014, 11:08 AM

The Wide-9 is a 4-3 defense. It has more to do with splits than alignment.

You can check out Kryk's twitter for the quote:

John Kryk ‏@JohnKryk 2h
#Bills HC Marrone on LB changes: “Last year we were basically a 2-LB team. Manny (Lawson) played on the line, and we had 2 LBs in the ...

John Kryk ‏@JohnKryk 2h
.. back going against 21 and 12 personnel. Now we have a little bit more of a switch to a 3-LB approach -- 3 players back there. We ..

John Kryk ‏@JohnKryk 2h
... won’t be multiple. That would be the biggest difference.” #Bills

https://twitter.com/JohnKryk

better days
03-25-2014, 11:12 AM
The Bills played wide 9 at times last year. They will play 9 wide at times this year.

I don't expect to see 3-4, but Schwartz said it will be an ATTACKING defense, not a read & react defense like Wanny ran.

justasportsfan
03-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm impressed with the 6th highest ranked run defense that line in Detroit was able to put up last year.

with Suh and co. plus the fact that they've been playing in the same system for years, they should've been ranked higher in total defense than the bills who were playing under Pettine in their first year.

better days
03-25-2014, 11:25 AM
with Suh and co. plus the fact that they've been playing in the same system for years, they should've been ranked higher in total defense than the bills who were playing under Pettine in their first year.

Well, Darius & Kyle Williams now have Spikes behind them.

I expect a vast improvement in the Bills run defense this year.

Whaley has said the LB group this year should be very good.

justasportsfan
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, Darius & Kyle Williams now have Spikes behind them.

I expect a vast improvement in the Bills run defense this year.

Whaley has said the LB group this year should be very good. just because Whaley says so doesn't mean it will happen but I do hope so. Schwartz has had a good history of drawing up the right calls on 3rd downs where we suffered a lot under Pettine.

There's a lot to look forward to with Schwartz but I hope we don't take a step back trying to learn his system. The bills needs to hit the ground running in a division where every game counts.

X-Era
03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Thats from John Kryk at the owners meetings interviewing Marrone

I know some of you had this delusion that Schwartz would incorperate the 4-3, 3-4, wide 9, ect all together and that it somehow wouldnt be a drastic change from last year. Reality, the Bills will be a wide 9 defense. Schwartz will go with what he knows and what got him to where he is today

I've got a bad feeling about this defense this year, I think we are looking at a step backwardsYet Schwartz has already stated that the Bills will not exclusively run any defense... And furthermore that all teams defenses run the Wide 9 at times.

I don't think we will exclusively run any one defense.

Meathead
03-25-2014, 12:17 PM
despite all the attention pettines unit got, they still werent very good at winning games. 19th in points allowed, 5th in pass yds allowed but thats bc they were 27th in rush yds allowed (!). all those sacks and ints didnt really matter bc they were getting utterly gashed by every third sting rb they faced

its too bad they have to change schemes again but now that they have three legit lbs and a terrific dl rotation it seems like the 4-3 is just a better fit. schwartz is a good dc and hes got mostly seasoned vets to work with in the front seven so the transition should be easy

assuming erasmus jericho makes the sophomore leap expected i think this is a fringe playoff team. ten wins

Raptor
03-25-2014, 12:55 PM

go go to his twitter account, it's verbatim ...Joe B also said the multiple defense is out

Raptor
03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Yet Schwartz has already stated that the Bills will not exclusively run any defense... And furthermore that all teams defenses run the Wide 9 at times.

I don't think we will exclusively run any one defense.

im sure he did say that, as do all coaches who come in when replacing a DC that had success. Like I said then and Marrone backs me up, it was nothing but lip service two months ago. Schwartz will go and run what got him to this place in the league. That is NOT a hybrid/multiple defense...it's a 4-3 wide 9

X-Era
03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
im sure he did say that, as do all coaches who come in when replacing a DC that had success. Like I said then and Marrone backs me up, it was nothing but lip service two months ago. Schwartz will go and run what got him to this place in the league. That is NOT a hybrid/multiple defense...it's a 4-3 wide 9
Ok man. I'm not going to argue about it. We will just have to wait and see I guess. What I will say is that even if it is strictly a 4-3 Wide 9 what difference would it make? Every defense has weaknesses and every defense has strengths.

DraftBoy
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Ok man. I'm not going to argue about it. We will just have to wait and see I guess. What I will say is that even if it is strictly a 4-3 Wide 9 what difference would it make? Every defense has weaknesses and every defense has strengths.

One large difference would be we are a defense best suited to run a 34 front based on personnel. You have bump and run corners, lanky OLB with speed, and DE's who push with power. Those aren't all just easy transitions into a zone cover scheme.

better days
03-25-2014, 01:26 PM
One large difference would be we are a defense best suited to run a 34 front based on personnel. You have bump and run corners, lanky OLB with speed, and DE's who push with power. Those aren't all just easy transitions into a zone cover scheme.

So Dareus or Kyle Williams would be better in the 3-4 as NT's than in the 4-3?

OLDSRIP
03-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Heres an idea. How about we see them play before we complain about anything?
Do you really expect the coaches to come out and say what systems they are going to play?
Its not even training camp yet.

Swartz has a good record as an aggressive d coach.

justasportsfan
03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Heres an idea. How about we see them play before we complain about anything?
Do you really expect the coaches to come out and say what systems they are going to play?
Its not even training camp yet.

Swartz has a good record as an aggressive d coach. I've been called a homer several times but it's never been implied that I complain about everything. That's new.

Also read my posts regarding Schwartz. It's more positive than it's been negative but to state my observation isn't a knock on Schwartz.

OLDSRIP
03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
I've been called a homer several times but it's never been implied that I complain about everything. That's new.

Also read my posts regarding Schwartz. It's more positive than it's been negative but to state my observation isn't a knock on Schwartz.

That wasn't really only directed to you. I know your not a troll.

I just picked yours to reply to. Like usual there are to many people who are sure things are doomed. And they are convinced they will be correct.

nothing personal attended.

Raptor
03-26-2014, 04:07 AM

Uuummm a very big difference, they are drastically different in philosophy

YardRat
03-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Any coordinator worth a damn is going to bring to the table what he has experience with and believes what works best, and meld it with player strengths (and weaknesses) and what has worked with those players in the past. A really good coordinator will develop wrinkles from both to put the players in a position to succeed.

stuckincincy
03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Any coordinator worth a damn is going to bring to the table what he has experience with and believes what works best, and meld it with player strengths (and weaknesses) and what has worked with those players in the past. A really good coordinator will develop wrinkles from both to put the players in a position to succeed.

Yup.

I worry more about OCs than DCs. As in OCs that panic and abandon the run in the 2nd half because they are down 7 points, and/or become bat-crap pass crazy because they think big numbers (despite losses) will get them a HC gig.

X-Era
03-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Uuummm a very big difference, they are drastically different in philosophyYou missed my point. All defenses have weaknesses.

Raptor
03-26-2014, 06:22 AM
You missed my point. All defenses have weaknesses.

I didnt miss miss your point, your point was irrelevant

Goobylal
03-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Uuummm a very big difference, they are drastically different in philosophy
It likely won't be a true wide 9, if at all. It depends on who he chooses to play. From the sounds of it, the LBs will be Kiko, Spikes, and Rivers. Since Hughes was a big part of the pass rush but is only 254#, to get him on the field I can see him being put at RDE in the wide 9, so that he's away from the TE and won't be as much of a liability in the run game.