PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA Pres Winston wouldn't mind playoff changes

X-Era
03-27-2014, 06:14 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/new-nflpa-president-likes-the-idea-of-expanded-playoffs/

The league is thinking about adding one more game for each conference... Winston then talks about changing the way it's structured siting 12-4 SF vs. 8-7-1 GB...

I'm fine with the top teams by record and by conference instead of by division. But, that would require changing the schedule to not have multiple games against division foes... Teams in weak divisions will have better records with multiple division foes.

Meathead
03-27-2014, 07:42 AM
i like the idea of one more team per conference in the playoffs, but it does present some problems

- there would be only one team that gets a bye in each conference. seems unfair to have only one team with that advantage instead of two
- 'wild card weekend' would involve six games so its either three games a day over a weekend. i suspect the nfl might want to try to spread those games out to probably monday night to reduce viewer fatigue, which would present scheduling difficulties to prevent a team from playing on monday and the following saturday

they dont have to change any of the division formats to do this, and i hope they dont. i understand the argument that you can have a 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 team but so what? if a team comes out on top of a very tough division at 8-8 while another team gets to 12 wins in a crappy division/conference, who should be rewarded? i dont like the idea of pure seeding at all, the divisions are important and i like the way they have it set up currently to reward division winners

trapezeus
03-27-2014, 08:04 AM
sadly with the talks of more playoff teams, the bills still would have missed all 14 years. how sad is that?

Skooby
03-27-2014, 08:06 AM
sadly with the talks of more playoff teams, the bills still would have missed all 14 years. how sad is that?

Even in 2004 ?

Dr. Lecter
03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Even in 2004 ?

Yes. After the loss to the Steelers back-ups they were 9th in the AFC

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes. After the loss to the Steelers back-ups they were 9th in the AFC

That fumble was one of Drew Bledsoe's finest moments.

I was there 20 seats up and it happened right in front of me.

I am scarred for life.

trapezeus
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
i remember looking up at the scoreboard and seeing that the jets were losing. it was all working out exactly as it was supposed to. i think we intercepted a pass and ran it back for a TD and that was supposed to square away everything. and then bledsoe fumbled. we haven't had only a couple things even remotely as a heartbreaking football wise. i mean the dallas mnf was probably the last of the gut wrenching stuff. everything since has been mostly expected and i've tried to prep for it in advance.

Ginger Vitis
03-27-2014, 05:25 PM
It was Nate Clements who had the pick 6 in the 2004 game against the Steeler early in the 3rd quarter to put the Bills up 17-16.. Later on Rian Lindell missed a 28 yard field goal that was a killer.. On the next play Willie Parker had a 58 yard run to put the Steelers in scoring position