PDA

View Full Version : Ralph the man was greater than Ralph the owner

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
It had to be said and Bucky Gleason did in today's Buffalo News....

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/ralph-the-man-was-greater-than-ralph-the-owner-20140326

"....But let’s not discount what Buffalo gave him.

He turned a $25,000 investment into an $870 million fortune, which amounted to one whale of a score. Yes, he came up with the initial money. He helped the AFL survive. He was a voice of reason and helped with the merger. He understood the influence of television and the importance of making sacrifices for the greater good.

But it also was for his greater good. He was able to capitalize more than most franchises when it came to revenue sharing. It meant you kept your team, but it was mostly on his terms when it came to revenues, stadium upgrades and tax breaks. He made a bundle from a community that didn’t have a bundle.

Even the current lease comes with an escape clause after the seventh year. The deal soothed the fan base, but it also made financial sense for surviving members of his family and all but eliminated Wilson from ever getting blamed if the franchise moved out of town. It was good for you, certainly, but it also was good for him...."

"....The franchise was turning some $30 million in profits in recent years, and in return fans were given teams that missed the playoffs 14 straight seasons. Wilson was known for his love of football, but his record made you wonder whether he loved winning football or the sport in general or the football business...."

"....Winning became lost in the grand scheme. Its importance was beaten out of a fan base that for years lived under the threat of relocation. Fans came to rationalize that losing was acceptable so long as the Bills remained in Orchard Park. They came to appreciate the Sunday experience and ignore the Sunday goal. The standards were lowered...."

Well said Bucky and I couldn't agree more.

I would have waited a couple of weeks after his death, but you have bigger balls than I do.

coastal
03-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Parking lot... nothing is more important.

Not even your dignity.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Parking lot... nothing is more important.

Not even your dignity.

"Fans came to rationalize that losing was acceptable so long as the Bills remained in Orchard Park. They came to appreciate the Sunday experience and ignore the Sunday goal."

So true and almost poetic on Bucky's part.

Bill Cody
03-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I would have waited a couple of weeks after his death, but you have bigger balls than I do.

I doubt that.

I guess massive greed and ego go with the territory when it comes to the super rich. RIP Ralph but I think the fans deserved more.

gebobs
03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
"Fans came to rationalize that losing was acceptable so long as the Bills remained in Orchard Park. They came to appreciate the Sunday experience and ignore the Sunday goal."You see that around the Zone. It's maddening. But aside from the decade from '88 to '99 (and I'm being generous), the Bills were never really in the hunt after the merger.

Historian
03-27-2014, 12:45 PM
You see that around the Zone. It's maddening. But aside from the decade from '88 to '99 (and I'm being generous), the Bills were never really in the hunt after the merger.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that.

Just missed going to the first Super Bowl.

We made the playoffs in 1974.

We were one of the best teams in the NFL from 1980 to 1982.

The '82 strike hurt us. (Started out 2-0 and finshed 4-5 and out of shape)

The USFL hurt us. (Lost our HB, K, C, QB)

The '76 expansion hurt us. (Lost Rashad and Toomay)

While Gleason's essay has a lot of truth to it, overall, this has been a fun franchise to watch, IMO.

gebobs
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Just missed going to the first Super Bowl.
I said after the merger. Perhaps the Bills might have made a better show than the Chiefs did in SB1.

We made the playoffs in 1974.
And were not really in the hunt. We were a brief distraction for the Steelers on their way to the championship. They had me going there, going up 7-3 in the 1st quarter, but they controlled the rest of the half and the game was over by halftime. Fergie's best playoff game even as it wasn't all that memorable. OJ got stuffed.

We were one of the best teams in the NFL from 1980 to 1982.
Close, but still never got to the conference championship. IMHO Ferguson never was a top gun and whatever abilities he had were on the wane by then. He didn't have very good games in either.

Victor7
03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Spot on article. Feels bad to say those things after the man's passing. But its the truth. Plain and simple. Great great man, very bad owner.

17 post seasons in 54 years ?? 31% ... just awful.

gebobs
03-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Spot on article. Feels bad to say those things after the man's passing. But its the truth. Plain and simple. Great great man, very bad owner.

17 post seasons in 54 years ?? 31% ... just awful.

And more than half of those 17 were one-and-done.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
"....The franchise was turning some $30 million in profits in recent years, and in return fans were given teams that missed the playoffs 14 straight seasons. Wilson was known for his love of football, but his record made you wonder whether he loved winning football or the sport in general or the football business...."

Didn't that part just slap you in the face even if you are a homer?

I can understand trying to win and not succeeding, but to make $30M per year while not spending all the money the NFL gives you as your share of TV revenue on player salaries and then beating the crap out of local tax payers for lease concessions is disgusting.

That part I can't respect.

coastal
03-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Ralph was no hero... not a great man.

he wasn't a bum either.

he got way lucky when a $25,000 investment turned into a hundreds of millions of dollars franchise.

money gives people the power or opportunity to do all kinda of things that most people can't.

that happenstance of fate doesn't make one automatically great.

he ran the Bills well from a business stand point.

thats the nicest thing I can say about him.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
From another newspaper article...

"Wilson was admired in Buffalo but never loved. He was a notorious cheapskate who expected other people to pay for his toys."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/2014/03/25/ralph_wilsons_death_opens_door_ever_so_slightly_for_nfl_in_toronto_kelly.html

That is a pretty fair assessment.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-27-2014, 04:50 PM
He seems like he was a decent chap, but one who should have been a lot more hands off in the daily affairs of the team. In other words, he shouldn't have fired Polian because Polian had a disagreement with his family. Also, he should have done all he could to keep Saban in town. He should have also been far more willing to open up the wallet to pay for top flight coaches and GMs.

Victor7
03-27-2014, 05:38 PM
And more than half of those 17 were one-and-done.

You know what's more telling ? ... 8 of those 17 seasons were during the golden 90's. You know when Ralph stroke gold with Polian, Jimbo, Bruce, Marv and the gang. Eliminate those 8 seasons and we have 9 play off appearances in 46 seasons. That's 17%. Pathetic falls short in description.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
You know what's more telling ? ... 8 of those 17 seasons were during the golden 90's. You know when Ralph stroke gold with Polian, Jimbo, Bruce, Marv and the gang. Eliminate those 8 seasons and we have 9 play off appearances in 46 seasons. That's 17%. Pathetic falls short in description.

Making money was Ralph's primary goal. That is how he measured success.

If the Bills happened to win on the field in addition to making him as much money as his owner peers in bigger cities, that was just gravy. If he did not make as much money as his peers, that was the City of Buffalo's fault in his mind and he resented it as illustrated by holding relocation over the fans heads in the 80's whenever he could.

cookie G
03-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Why do I always find it ironic listening to Torontovite's complaints of other cities accepting mediocrity in their sports team?

Take the Maple Leaf stem from your own eye before worrying about the speck of Buffalo dung in your neighbor's eyes.

DynaPaul
03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
He started out in the insurance business. Enough said.

coastal
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Why do I always find it ironic listening to Torontovite's complaints of other cities accepting mediocrity in their sports team?

Take the Maple Leaf stem from your own eye before worrying about the speck of Buffalo dung in your neighbor's eyes.hes a Bruins fan.

I'm a Leafs fan.

i must have been an even bigger ass hole in my previous life.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2014, 08:46 PM
"....The franchise was turning some $30 million in profits in recent years, and in return fans were given teams that missed the playoffs 14 straight seasons. Wilson was known for his love of football, but his record made you wonder whether he loved winning football
$30 million in profit, that's it?
If I owned a NFL team, I'd want at least $40 Million in profit for myself.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
"....The franchise was turning some $30 million in profits in recent years, and in return fans were given teams that missed the playoffs 14 straight seasons. Wilson was known for his love of football, but his record made you wonder whether he loved winning football
Especially when I pay 1 player over $10 million.
Why shouldn't I make a profit off my team?

SpikedLemonade
03-28-2014, 10:17 AM

At the expense of getting county and state tax payers to subsidize your stadium's rent?

So precious government revenues should be diverted away from schools, roads, etc. so Ralph can make $30M per year?

justasportsfan
03-28-2014, 10:35 AM

the best way to create more profit was/is to move the team somewhere else.

Bill Cody
03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
the best way to create more profit was/is to move the team somewhere else.

the best way? Really? Isn't the best way to field a good team? Look at the Patriots. In 1992 they had the lowest season ticket base in the NFL (25000) and the cheapest stadium (cost $6m). By your logic they should have moved right then and if Bob Kraft had allowed a buy out of his lease with the team for the stadium they would have moved to St. Louis. How'd staying put work out? And how did Al Davis' move from Oakland to the LA Coliseum work out? So should Green Bay, which has a smaller market than Buffalo move if they want to create more profits? Um.....no

Historian
03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Take the Maple Leaf stem from your own eye before worrying about the speck of Buffalo dung in your neighbor's eyes.

Funny.

I guess the reason I can't be so hard on him, is because the Bills are more than a football team to me. They are a part of my family.

My Grandpa took me to the Rockpile to watch games, as did my Uncle after he came home from Vietnam. I had seasons with my Dad for years.

We had Super Bowl parties...tailgates...and dinner at Jim Kelly's restaurant.

Now I take my own son and daughters.

I have met some of the most wonderful people on earth, because of the Buffalo Bills: The Dozers, the Lecters, The WYS's, the Phils and Mikeys.

It's more than just a team, or a game, Bills football is a lifestyle that we build our autumns on.

For that I have Wilson to thank.

And I am grateful for every moment.

Sincerely.

DynaPaul
03-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Ralph was monumental to the success of the AFL and subsequently the NFL. To his own team? Not so much.

Mace
03-28-2014, 06:30 PM

17 post seasons in 54 years ?? 31% ... just awful. - Victor7

No doubt.

I think I'm mostly worried about Spiked. This has to be traumatic.

SpikedLemonade
03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
- Victor7

No doubt.

I think I'm mostly worried about Spiked. This has to be traumatic.

I'm seeking help.

Mace
03-28-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm seeking help.

Personally, I'm already drifting to fixating on Littman.

BuffaloRedleg
03-28-2014, 11:44 PM
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

If I were him I would have made that the script on my tombstone.