PDA

View Full Version : Don't count out Woods

The King
03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
With so many people clamoring for a WR in round 1. I thought I would take a look at how Woods stacks up against some of the top receivers in the NFL.

IMO too many people are ignoring the fact that the transition from college to the NFL is rough on WR's.

Here are Robert Woods rookie numbers (14 games). 40 Catches, 587 yards, 3 TD's.

Calvin Johnson - 48 CAT, 756 Yards, 4TD
Larry Fitzgerald - 58 CAT, 780 Yards, 8TD
Dez Bryant - 45 CAT, 561 Yards, 6TD
Greg Jennings - 45 CAT, 631 Yards, 3TD

In every instance these guys have seen significant increases in their second year, in all categories. Woods has the skill set to see a major bump this year as well.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I have high hopes for Woods, but of the 4 WRs you listed, only Jennings is a similar type of receiver.

Woods does not have the speed to size combo of the other 3.

The Jokeman
03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
With so many people clamoring for a WR in round 1. I thought I would take a look at how Woods stacks up against some of the top receivers in the NFL.

IMO too many people are ignoring the fact that the transition from college to the NFL is rough on WR's.

In every instance these guys have seen significant increases in their second year, in all categories. Woods has the skill set to see a major bump this year as well.

Exactly and most WRs take 3 full seasons to finally reached their best. So Woods might even struggle this year and explode this year. Heck this is TJ Graham's 3rd year and he might explode on us too. As I'll be the first to admit I thought Stevie was nothing more then a depth WR but what happened? Year 3 and he stepped up and became a starter.

swiper
03-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Oh I never counted him out. In fact, I find the clamoring foolish as the Bills picked up 2 very good WRs in last years draft. With the draft being deep, they may draft one, but I highly doubt it will be in round 1.

And all those WRs had BETTER QBs tossing them the ball. Woods did VERY WELL for year one and could mature into a real #1 WR for Buffalo, given, of course, they find a real QB.

swiper
03-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I have high hopes for Woods, but of the 4 WRs you listed, only Jennings is a similar type of receiver.

Woods does not have the speed to size combo of the other 3.

The 7th round Stevie Johnson did it. Woods will be better than him. Given, of course, the Bills find a real franchise QB.

Fixxxer
03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Woods is similar to Santonio Holmes without the attitude.

The Jokeman
03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Woods is similar to Santonio Holmes without the attitude.

I don't see that comparison at all. Holmes to me is a speedy/blazer Santana Moss type. Woods has been compared to Donald Driver and/or Hines Ward which makes a more valid comparison.

justasportsfan
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm not counting out Woods ,but I am however ready to start looking for Stevie's replacement. If it takes a couple of years for a WR to develop, then let the development start now so that he may grow together with Woods and co.

cookie G
03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
I never have..he's a damn fine receiver. That's why, unless Sammy Watkins falls to us...I won't be crushed if we dont' take a WR in the 1st.

I have more concerns about who is throwing him the ball, myself.

TacklingDummy
03-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Woods will only be as good as the person throwing him the ball.

SpikedLemonade
03-27-2014, 07:25 PM
I never have..he's a damn fine receiver. That's why, unless Sammy Watkins falls to us...I won't be crushed if we dont' take a WR in the 1st.

I have more concerns about who is throwing him the ball, myself.

Let's rely less on EJ by drafting an OT in the 1st and an OG in the 2nd so we can run the ball.

If we can do that and EJ does not come around by the end of this season, we will draft another QB next year but at least have a good OL ready for him.

ServoBillieves
03-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Who was countng him out?

feldspar
03-28-2014, 12:37 AM
I like Robert Woods. He's young (will turn 22 in a couple of weeks), and he has a lot of upside and potential to be better than some people think. Glad to have him.

Like others said, the QB is more of an issue.

Minotaur95
03-28-2014, 06:05 AM
IMO, QBs can develop, just as WRs can. I agree with SpikedLemonade that if we put a good team around EJ and he doesn't improve this coming season, THEN we look at acquiring his potential replacement.

jamze132
03-28-2014, 07:38 AM
If we get a QB and a TE, Woods will exceed.

Let's go buffalo
03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Sooo I'm starting to gather that this is an anti-EJ board?

OpIv37
03-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm not counting Woods out... I'm not counting on him either. Here's the problem:

We are hoping that Woods can step up at WR
We are hoping Ej improves
We are hoping the OL gels and plays better than last year
We are hoping the young TE's can step it up because we didn't upgrade Chandler
We are hoping Kiko can handle the position switch
We are hoping Searcy or someone else can step up for Byrd....

But none of these guys have ever proven that they can do it. I get that it's a salary cap league, and no team can have stars at every position. But most teams don't have this many question marks- at least not teams that win. I'm particularly frustrated by the lack of support for EJ. He has to be responsible for his own performance but the team isn't exactly giving him support in terms of receiving threats or protection.

The King
03-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Sooo I'm starting to gather that this is an anti-EJ board?
I think we're split. I still like the kid and think there is potential.

Let's go buffalo
03-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I think we're split. I still like the kid and think there is potential.
Me too. Gotta give him one more year.

justasportsfan
03-28-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm not counting Woods out... I'm not counting on him either. Here's the problem:

We are hoping that Woods can step up at WR
We are hoping Ej improves
We are hoping the OL gels and plays better than last year
We are hoping the young TE's can step it up because we didn't upgrade Chandler
We are hoping Kiko can handle the position switch
We are hoping Searcy or someone else can step up for Byrd....

But none of these guys have ever proven that they can do it. I get that it's a salary cap league, and no team can have stars at every position. But most teams don't have this many question marks- at least not teams that win.
I agree

I'm particularly frustrated by the lack of support for EJ. He has to be responsible for his own performance but the team isn't exactly giving him support in terms of receiving threats or protection.

I think they tried to get receiving threats with both Woods and Goodwin last year and I think they will grab another one in this draft. As far as OL goes, I think they will address it in this draft as well.

OpIv37
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree

I think they tried to get receiving threats with both Woods and Goodwin last year and I think they will grab another one in this draft. As far as OL goes, I think they will address it in this draft as well.

Having a rookie throw to two rookies was a mistake that showed on the field. They should have given him a proven vet besides Stevie, whom we all know has issues. I'm glad they addressed the position but I think a vet WR would have made EJ's job easier.

OpIv37
03-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Me too. Gotta give him one more year.

I'm kinda "meh" on EJ. He didn't do anything last year that made me think he was completely incompetent, but he never really impressed me either, except maybe that one late comeback.

I agree he needs another year though. QB takes time to learn and giving up on him after one season where he missed time due to injury is stupid.

The worst thing would be another mediocre season from him.

If he plays well, we'll have our guy and we can finally win again.

If he really sucks it up, we can cut him and move on to the next guy.

But if he's mediocre, the FO will give him another chance and it'll either delay winning or delay finding the next QB.

justasportsfan
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Having a rookie throw to two rookies was a mistake that showed on the field. They should have given him a proven vet besides Stevie, whom we all know has issues. I'm glad they addressed the position but I think a vet WR would have made EJ's job easier.
A vet woudn't have done anything for a gunshy qb. See what happened with Trent throwing to TO?

OL however would have done wonders for a rookie qb.

OpIv37
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Maybe he wouldn't have been as gunshy if he had more confidence in his wr's.

And I agree they should have done something about the OL. Simply keeping Levitre would have helped a ton.

swiper
03-28-2014, 12:26 PM

And I agree they should have done something about the OL. Simply keeping Levitre would have helped a ton.

He wasn't "gunshy". He was simply making lousy throws.

TigerJ
03-28-2014, 12:42 PM
I agree that Woods is a good receiver, and his production should go up significantly in his second year. I'm OK if Buffalo does not draft a receiver in the first round, but it's perfectly alright if they do. Steve Johnson is probably as good as he'll ever be, and it's still debatable whether he is a worthy #1 receiver. Buddy Nix thought he'd be better as a slot receiver. He gets open and apart from a few really annoying and sometimes critical drops, he's generally reliable. Still both Watkins and Evans bring things to the table that Buffalo does not have right now. Watkins has a better combination of size physicality, speed, hands and route running than exists on Buffalo's roster. You have those qualities whaen you put all of Buffalo's receivers together, but not in any one of them. Evans has an incredible catch radius, a lot of physicality and hands of glue to be a terrific red zone receiver as weel as being effective anywhere on the field. Either one will improve the Bills.

stuckincincy
03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd be "gunshy" and making lousy throws too, if I were a rookie qb saddled with some PR flacks' idea that a mostly game-long quick snap offense was the way to gin up ticket sales.

justasportsfan
03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
He wasn't "gunshy". He was simply making lousy throws.

when you opt to dink and dunk because it's safer rather than trust your receivers to make play mid to deep down field is gunshy IMO.

stuckincincy
03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
BUF has no business drafting a WR #1 after recent acquisitions. Pluck Cobi Hamilton off of CIN's PS. Cheap look-see, who will compete in camp for them:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cobi-hamilton?id=2539203

justasportsfan
03-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Fitz didn't have a problem trusting Stevie. Fitz also didn't have a problem trusting TO and the other same receivers Trent had. Ej needs to trust he can make the throws ,pull the trigger and then trust his receivers can make a play. Woods' qb in college trusted him.

BuffaloRedleg
03-29-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm kinda "meh" on EJ. He didn't do anything last year that made me think he was completely incompetent, but he never really impressed me either, except maybe that one late comeback.

I agree he needs another year though. QB takes time to learn and giving up on him after one season where he missed time due to injury is stupid.

The worst thing would be another mediocre season from him.

If he plays well, we'll have our guy and we can finally win again.

If he really sucks it up, we can cut him and move on to the next guy.

But if he's mediocre, the FO will give him another chance and it'll either delay winning or delay finding the next QB.

I think you'll find your answer in

C) "oft-injured"

I don't want to hear next offseason about how we don't know how good he was because he was injured, but I expect to.

It's too bad, he's a pretty likeable guy.

OpIv37
03-29-2014, 08:32 AM
I think you'll find your answer in

C) "oft-injured"

I don't want to hear next offseason about how we don't know how good he was because he was injured, but I expect to.

It's too bad, he's a pretty likeable guy.

Yeah, Bledsoe, Losman , Edwards and Fitz were likeable guys too- they just never got the job done one the field.

better days
03-29-2014, 08:49 AM
A vet woudn't have done anything for a gunshy qb. See what happened with Trent throwing to TO?

OL however would have done wonders for a rookie qb.

A better OL that gives the QB an extra second or two, would help a Rookie QB or a Vet QB, giving him time for a receiver to get open or to find a 2nd receiver.