• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Don't count out Woods

With so many people clamoring for a WR in round 1. I thought I would take a look at how Woods stacks up against some of the top receivers in the NFL.

IMO too many people are ignoring the fact that the transition from college to the NFL is rough on WR's.

Here are Robert Woods rookie numbers (14 games). 40 Catches, 587 yards, 3 TD's.

Calvin Johnson - 48 CAT, 756 Yards, 4TD
    Larry Fitzgerald - 58 CAT, 780 Yards, 8TD
    Dez Bryant - 45 CAT, 561 Yards, 6TD
    Greg Jennings - 45 CAT, 631 Yards, 3TD

In every instance these guys have seen significant increases in their second year, in all categories. Woods has the skill set to see a major bump this year as well.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Don't count out Woods

I have high hopes for Woods, but of the 4 WRs you listed, only Jennings is a similar type of receiver.

Woods does not have the speed to size combo of the other 3.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by The King View Post
      With so many people clamoring for a WR in round 1. I thought I would take a look at how Woods stacks up against some of the top receivers in the NFL.

IMO too many people are ignoring the fact that the transition from college to the NFL is rough on WR's.

In every instance these guys have seen significant increases in their second year, in all categories. Woods has the skill set to see a major bump this year as well.
      Exactly and most WRs take 3 full seasons to finally reached their best. So Woods might even struggle this year and explode this year. Heck this is TJ Graham's 3rd year and he might explode on us too. As I'll be the first to admit I thought Stevie was nothing more then a depth WR but what happened? Year 3 and he stepped up and became a starter.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post

Oh I never counted him out. In fact, I find the clamoring foolish as the Bills picked up 2 very good WRs in last years draft. With the draft being deep, they may draft one, but I highly doubt it will be in round 1.

And all those WRs had BETTER QBs tossing them the ball. Woods did VERY WELL for year one and could mature into a real #1 WR for Buffalo, given, of course, they find a real QB.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          I have high hopes for Woods, but of the 4 WRs you listed, only Jennings is a similar type of receiver.

Woods does not have the speed to size combo of the other 3.

The 7th round Stevie Johnson did it. Woods will be better than him. Given, of course, the Bills find a real franchise QB.

Comment

• Fixxxer
            • Jul 2002

Woods is similar to Santonio Holmes without the attitude.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fixxxer View Post
              Woods is similar to Santonio Holmes without the attitude.
              I don't see that comparison at all. Holmes to me is a speedy/blazer Santana Moss type. Woods has been compared to Donald Driver and/or Hines Ward which makes a more valid comparison.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I'm not counting out Woods ,but I am however ready to start looking for Stevie's replacement. If it takes a couple of years for a WR to develop, then let the development start now so that he may grow together with Woods and co.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

I never have..he's a damn fine receiver. That's why, unless Sammy Watkins falls to us...I won't be crushed if we dont' take a WR in the 1st.

I have more concerns about who is throwing him the ball, myself.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Woods will only be as good as the person throwing him the ball.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      I never have..he's a damn fine receiver. That's why, unless Sammy Watkins falls to us...I won't be crushed if we dont' take a WR in the 1st.

I have more concerns about who is throwing him the ball, myself.
                      Let's rely less on EJ by drafting an OT in the 1st and an OG in the 2nd so we can run the ball.

If we can do that and EJ does not come around by the end of this season, we will draft another QB next year but at least have a good OL ready for him.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Who was countng him out?
                        Last edited by ServoBillieves; 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM. Reason: missed the o
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

I like Robert Woods. He's young (will turn 22 in a couple of weeks), and he has a lot of upside and potential to be better than some people think. Glad to have him.

Like others said, the QB is more of an issue.

Comment

• Minotaur95
                            • Apr 2013

IMO, QBs can develop, just as WRs can. I agree with SpikedLemonade that if we put a good team around EJ and he doesn't improve this coming season, THEN we look at acquiring his potential replacement.
                            GO DOLPHINS .......... out to sea .......... AND NEVER COME BACK!

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

If we get a QB and a TE, Woods will exceed.

Comment

Working...
                              X