PDA

View Full Version : Sabres at Risk of Becoming NHL's Lowest-Scoring Team Since 1936

swiper
03-30-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks Terry Pegula.

The Sabres have just 142 goals with 8 games to play.

Sabres at Risk of Becoming NHL's Lowest - Scoring Team Since 1936

Suffering through one of the worst seasons in recent NHL (http://bleacherreport.com/nhl)history, the 20-45-8 Buffalo Sabres (http://bleacherreport.com/buffalo-sabres) have an outside chance to become the NHL's lowest-scoring team since 1936, per Drew Davis of Kukla's Korner (https://twitter.com/DaveDavisHockey/status/448086539483234304).

With 139 goals through 73 games, the Sabres are averaging a woeful 1.90 per contest, easily the worst in the NHL. The New Jersey Devils (http://bleacherreport.com/new-jersey-devils) are second-worst in scoring with 177 goals through 73 games, which is good for 2.42 per contest and still places them well ahead of the Sabres.

Having long ago locked up their place as the lowest-scoring team this season, the Sabres hope to avoid matching the 1997-98 Tampa Bay Lightning (http://bleacherreport.com/tampa-bay-lightning)'s record (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/low-scoring-sabres-on-pace-for-historically-bad-year-20131203) for fewest goals per game in modern NHL history. The 1997-98 Lightning (http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TBL/1998.html) struggled to a 17-55-10 record, scoring just 151 goals in 82 games, or 1.84 per contest.

As bad as the Sabres are, this is one mark of futility they should be able to avoid. Doing so will require just 13 goals in the final nine games, which would be a given for any other NHL team.

Of course, the Sabres aren't just any NHL team, they're far and away the worst squad in the league. Avoiding this dubious record is clearly in the team's best interest, but it won't remove the sting from a truly dreadful season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2004210-sabres-at-risk-of-becoming-nhls-lowest-scoring-team-since-1936

Downinfloflo
03-30-2014, 01:16 PM
5 years.

JATMtheJATM
03-31-2014, 01:41 AM
5 years.

ok.

jamze132
03-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Oh it will turn around when we get some decent players.

JATMtheJATM
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM

we have some already. they just need time to develop. sabres should get more this draft and next to help that. the ship is turning around. the standings havent begun to reflect that yet. it will in due time.

coastal
03-31-2014, 09:54 AM
I want to see a line centered by Girgensons with Sam Bennett and Grigerenko on the wings.

Skooby
03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
We suck.

Dr. Lecter
03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
I want to see a line centered by Girgensons with Sam Bennett and Grigerenko on the wings.

I am not sure Girgensons has the offense.

But this is why they must draft a forward this year and next. No defense.

Their scoring ability is worse than my scoring ability

Downinfloflo
03-31-2014, 01:41 PM
we have some already. they just need time to develop. sabres should get more this draft and next to help that. the ship is turning around. the standings havent begun to reflect that yet. it will in due time.

5 years.

coastal
03-31-2014, 01:52 PM
5 years.
Everyone who reads this forum knows your opinion.

coastal
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I am not sure Girgensons has the offense.

But this is why they must draft a forward this year and next. No defense.

Their scoring ability is worse than my scoring ability
Two guys who can go hard while Grigs stays home.

it might be the balance that creates something unique.

JATMtheJATM
03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
5 years.

fantastic. i feel differently.

Downinfloflo
03-31-2014, 04:47 PM
fantastic. i feel differently.

Feelings is all you have.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone who reads this forum knows your opinion.

The Sabres are the Buffalo Bills of hockey.

swiper
03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Damn that Brett Hull.

coastal
03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
The Sabres are the Buffalo Bills of hockey.
Argo **** yourself.

Downinfloflo
04-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Argo **** yourself.

Go Leafs Go!! Eight in a row...

lolz....

JATMtheJATM
04-01-2014, 01:47 AM
So your five year declaration is somehow different then my feelings that it won't be? OK then...

doug45
04-01-2014, 10:06 PM

Never happen because as soon as they do they will trade them.

doug45
04-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Funny that is what the Bills have been saying for 12 years. You have to KEEP the good players and ADD to them young players. If you don't keep them there is no one to learn from !!

JATMtheJATM
04-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Funny that is what the Bills have been saying for 12 years. You have to KEEP the good players and ADD to them young players. If you don't keep them there is no one to learn from !!

who the hell cares about the bills?

- - - Updated - - -

Never happen because as soon as they do they will trade them.

do you not understand how a rebuild works?

apparently not.

Downinfloflo
04-02-2014, 01:08 PM
who the hell cares about the bills?

- - - Updated - - -

do you not understand how a rebuild works?

apparently not.

Everyone on these boards cares about the Bills, That's why it's here..

A rebuild does not mean moving all of your leadership for players that "Might one day" make it in the NHL.

If the Sabres don't hit it out of the park in the up coming drafts, They are ***ked big time.

And the odd's and draft history say's that is the most likely outcome.

OpIv37
04-02-2014, 01:17 PM

The only good player we had was Miller. If we didn't trade him, he would have walked in July anyway. And he probably only has 3 years left in the tank anyway- he'll be washed up before the rest of the team is ready to win.

OpIv37
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM

A rebuild does not mean moving all of your leadership for players that "Might one day" make it in the NHL.

If the Sabres don't hit it out of the park in the up coming drafts, They are ***ked big time.

We had no leadership except Ott and I still think he's coming back during FA.

And the Sabres are going to have to spend some money on vets to get to the cap floor, especially after they make Leino's worthless ass a compliance buyout.

JATMtheJATM
04-02-2014, 01:55 PM

so trading away older players with expiring contracts, most of whom were not going to resign anyways, for assets is bad? thats illogical.

if the sabres draft high, and they will, the odds are fine. they already have a plethora of highly rated prospects in the pool developing, with more to add. they are fine.

sukie
04-02-2014, 03:02 PM

new leadership is necessary.

I shed no tear for the players removed from this team. I still would like the eject button pushed on Stafford but I cannot have everything. I look forward to this new team emerging in the next half decade.

Downinfloflo
04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
so trading away older players with expiring contracts, most of whom were not going to resign anyways, for assets is bad? thats illogical.

if the sabres draft high, and they will, the odds are fine. they already have a plethora of highly rated prospects in the pool developing, with more to add. they are fine.

Indeed, Just like the Oilers and Islanders have and had.

swiper
04-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Drafting high and signing vet free agents isn't an exact science. There are examples of teams that have done it well and there are examples of teams that haven't.

JATMtheJATM
04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Indeed, Just like the Oilers and Islanders have and had.

and the blues, lightning, penguins, blackhawks have had. besides, i thought the islanders were some great team?

Ginger Vitis
04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
i thought the islanders were some great team?

That is Flo Flo logic at it's finest.. He uses the Islanders as a example as a recent bad rebuilding program yet he thinks the Islanders will have a great team next year and the 2015 draft pick they give the Sabres wont't be anywhere close to a lottery pick

Downinfloflo
04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
and the blues, lightning, penguins, blackhawks have had. besides, i thought the islanders were some great team?

All ready showed you in great detail that your line of thinking is critically flawed in regards to those teams.

But your "FEELINGS" get in the way.

And yes, The Islanders are way ahead of the Sabres in regards to building a winning franchise, How many years have they been at it? Do you even know?

Downinfloflo
04-02-2014, 10:41 PM
That is Flo Flo logic at it's finest.. He uses the Islanders as a example as a recent bad rebuilding program yet he thinks the Islanders will have a great team next year and the 2015 draft pick they give the Sabres wont't be anywhere close to a lottery pick

Recent? The Islanders have been rebuilding for over 10 years. And they are finally getting close. Do any of you watch the NHL outside of the Sabres??

The Buffalo Sabres are not just a bad team, They are God awful, And it's going to be a LOOOONG time before they get any better.

You will NOT draft your way out of the basement, You will be lucky to land 4 NHL players from all of the draft choices you have over the next 2 years.

And if the Sabres strike out completely on those draft picks, That 5 year rebuild will turn into 8 or more, It's real bad in Sabres land folks, NHL record setting kind of bad.

Dr. Lecter
04-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Recent? The Islanders have been rebuilding for over 10 years. And they are finally getting close. Do any of you watch the NHL outside of the Sabres??

The Buffalo Sabres are not just a bad team, They are God awful, And it's going to be a LOOOONG time before they get any better.

You will NOT draft your way out of the basement, You will be lucky to land 4 NHL players from all of the draft choices you have over the next 2 years.

And if the Sabres strike out completely on those draft picks, That 5 year rebuild will turn into 8 or more, It's real bad in Sabres land folks, NHL record setting kind of bad.

You assume that they have no other NHL prospects in their system. They do have one of the top ranked prospect pools in the NHL. Guys like McCabe, Risto, Zadarov, Armia, Kea, Pysyk, etc and all likely to be on the team in 1-3 years.

What they need to do is get star players the next two years.

And your comment about being lucky to get 4 NHL players the next two years is absurd anyway, with the number of picks they have. Look at how many 1st and 2nd rounds picks they have

None of this promises them greatness. But it is not like they have no shot. Many teams have been built to greatness after being downright awful

gebobs
04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
5 years.

STFU already.

coastal
04-03-2014, 09:46 AM
The Sabres have the makings of a badass D in as short as two years from now... could be a dominant one pending development, injury and retention.

They need five to six 25-30 goal scorers IMO to be Cup competitive.

They should get get one with their 1st pick this year. Let's assume there is one already developing and one currently on the team (Ennis)...

That leaves two... Let's assume they get one in free agency and one with one of their 2015 first round picks.

well.. That's 5.

Let's assume they need the full 6... trade deadline pickup.

all that remains is a goalie.

The Isles rebuild and floflo can shampoo my crotch.

JATMtheJATM
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
The Sabres have the makings of a badass D in as short as two years from now... could be a dominant one pending development, injury and retention.

They should get get one with their 1st pick this year. Let's assume there is one already developing and one currently on the team (Ennis)...

That leaves two... Let's assume they get one in free agency and one with one of their 2015 first round picks.

well.. That's 5.

thats why i keep saying get a goalie high in this draft. its weak. so its ok to risk the pick on a goalie. get a goalie. early second rounder if need be.

JATMtheJATM
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
All ready showed you in great detail that your line of thinking is critically flawed in regards to those teams.

But your "FEELINGS" get in the way.

And yes, The Islanders are way ahead of the Sabres in regards to building a winning franchise, How many years have they been at it? Do you even know?

how exactly have i shown a critical flaw? i dont think you know.

we get it, you think the sabres suck and will suck. who cares? none of us can a single thing about it, so why you are so obsessed with the sabres rebuild and what others think of it is puzzling.

JATMtheJATM
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM

well.. That's 5.

if the sabres have a bad ass D, which is likely, they wont even need that many goal scorers. they will be able to grind out lower scoring games and win games. its not ideal, id love the perfectly rounded team as well, but if the D is good, expect nolan and murray to coach and build to that advantage by getting defensive forwards in the system. they already have some of them. hopefully, thats why the sabres draft reinhart or bennett. scoring forwards who also excel in their own zone.

but the worst thing that can happen is having a great defensive team, and having a ****ty goalie. they have to focus on getting a young goaltender. the future of the sabres crease is likely not a sabre right now.

sukie
04-03-2014, 10:06 AM
the D was to be BADASS a few years ago... never happened so I understand some doubting views.

With Miller and Vanek gone the team has undergone the enema that was long overdue... (Stafford is clinging to a polyp)... I have zero expectations going forward... just delight at the possibilities a few years from now.

Downinfloflo
04-03-2014, 04:49 PM
the D was to be BADASS a few years ago... never happened so I understand some doubting views.

With Miller and Vanek gone the team has undergone the enema that was long overdue... (Stafford is clinging to a polyp)... I have zero expectations going forward... just delight at the possibilities a few years from now.

Thank you, And these same guys thought the Sabres were cup contenders when the Steve Ott trade happened...HAHAHA!!

Oh.... and for you other guys, The team with the best defensive prospects in the NHL is the Islanders..

Downinfloflo
04-03-2014, 04:56 PM
You assume that they have no other NHL prospects in their system. They do have one of the top ranked prospect pools in the NHL. Guys like McCabe, Risto, Zadarov, Armia, Kea, Pysyk, etc and all likely to be on the team in 1-3 years.

What they need to do is get star players the next two years.

And your comment about being lucky to get 4 NHL players the next two years is absurd anyway, with the number of picks they have. Look at how many 1st and 2nd rounds picks they have

None of this promises them greatness. But it is not like they have no shot. Many teams have been built to greatness after being downright awful

No it's not, That's the reality of the draft, Just go back and look at the draft history, And you will see all the draft bust, It's crazy how many guys don't make it.

JATM likes to talk about the Hawks, Penguins and so forth, Yet he don't realize each of those teams struck out for years in the draft and spent an average of 5 years or more building their teams.

The Hawks draft's were particularly awful. They landed like 5 players in 8 years of drafting.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

JATMtheJATM
04-03-2014, 06:09 PM
No it's not, That's the reality of the draft, Just go back and look at the draft history, And you will see all the draft bust, It's crazy how many guys don't make it.

JATM likes to talk about the Hawks, Penguins and so forth, Yet he don't realize each of those teams struck out for years in the draft and spent an average of 5 years or more building their teams.

The Hawks draft's were particularly awful. They landed like 5 players in 8 years of drafting.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

uh, the pens missed the post season 4 seasons in their rebuild. and didnt miss on their lottery picks for the most part. and thats starting from scratch. which the sabres are not.

the hawks are a completely different animal. the hawks had a dismal ownership group and a front office that was ruining that team. the chicago wolves out drew the hawks in that time period. the hawks wouldnt even televise home games. losing isnt necessarily a rebuild without direction. something the sabres have.

OpIv37
04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Getting back to the original discussion: Sabres need just 2 goals in 4 games to break the 151-goal futility mark. It's likely that they will beat it, but not a given.

SpikedLemonade
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Getting back to the original discussion: Sabres need just 2 goals in 4 games to break the 151-goal futility mark. It's likely that they will beat it, but not a given.

Bruins on Sunday in Boston may be still in the running for the Jennings Trophy and if so, will start Rask hoping he gets a shut out.

gebobs
04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Bruins on Sunday in Boston may be still in the running for the Jennings Trophy and if so, will start Rask hoping he gets a shut out.

I'm sure that would be very interesting to chat about on a Bruins forum.

SkateZilla
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
uh, the pens missed the post season 4 seasons in their rebuild. and didnt miss on their lottery picks for the most part. and thats starting from scratch. which the sabres are not.

the hawks are a completely different animal. the hawks had a dismal ownership group and a front office that was ruining that team. the chicago wolves out drew the hawks in that time period. the hawks wouldnt even televise home games. losing isnt necessarily a rebuild without direction. something the sabres have.

Crosby, Fluery, Malkin, new Stadium... Yup......

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
We should all be so lucky, but if floflo is going to use talking points, he should at least get the facts straight.

Downinfloflo
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
We should all be so lucky, but if floflo is going to use talking points, he should at least get the facts straight.

Yawn...

5 years, Just like all the teams you like to use as a source.

I'm going to enjoy rubbing it in. :)

Skooby
04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Yawn...

You'll get bored when we win the Super Bowl, we'll just keep rubbing that back.

JATMtheJATM
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Yawn...

and all those teams started from scratch. the sabres are not. they are already 2 years in.

DetDannyWilliams
04-07-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.sabresprospects.com/2012/07/sabres-prospects-depth-chart.html

swiper
04-08-2014, 04:58 AM
http://www.sabresprospects.com/2012/07/sabres-prospects-depth-chart.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bHi6YxBXjeo/UyXaFohv9VI/AAAAAAAACwE/thn9TvOTt3w/s1600/DEPTH+CHART+MARCH+2014.gif

Again, they need a first line centerman. A real one. Not a pretender.

Where's Luke Adam on this chart? Have they officially given up on him?

JATMtheJATM
04-08-2014, 09:57 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bHi6YxBXjeo/UyXaFohv9VI/AAAAAAAACwE/thn9TvOTt3w/s1600/DEPTH+CHART+MARCH+2014.gif

Again, they need a first line centerman. A real one. Not a pretender.

Where's Luke Adam on this chart? Have they officially given up on him?

adams no longer a legit prospect. hes an AHLer who can play in the NHL for a spell, but it looks like hes stuck in between. regardless, with the sabres so bad, i dont know why they dont play him more. i mean, what? are they afraid he may not play well?

Downinfloflo
04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
and all those teams started from scratch. the sabres are not. they are already 2 years in.

Two years in huh? That's not what you were saying about the Sabres when you posted on the range. :tired:

So what you're saying is 5 years maybe 7.

You can't bring yourself to say it in public tho.

Downinfloflo
04-09-2014, 04:34 PM
You'll get bored when we win the Super Bowl, we'll just keep rubbing that back.

I'm a Bills fan, It will be another decade before they make it to the Super Bowl.

15 years without a playoff game is beyond pathetic and inept.And loosing all 4 of the Super Bowls you did make it to is pretty pathetic as well, You would think they would have won one of them on accident.

JATMtheJATM
04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Two years in huh? That's not what you were saying about the Sabres when you posted on the range. :tired:

So what you're saying is 5 years maybe 7.

You can't bring yourself to say it in public tho.

that it may be 5 years in between playoff appearances? its possible. 5 years from now? unlikely. they have had 2 losing seasons prior to this. the rebuild started in earnest last year. they arent starting from scratch and have lots to work with. another bad year next year before they begin trending upwards.

Skooby
04-09-2014, 09:20 PM
We can't fall much further now can we ?

Downinfloflo
04-10-2014, 08:32 PM
We can't fall much further now can we ?

I doubt it, They can only go up from the abyss they are in now.

And people will see it as some form of hope.

The Sabres will not go from this bad of a NHL team to one that competes for anything but 9th in the east in less then 5 years.

There will be major growing pains for years to come with the teenagers popping their zits before the game.

gebobs
04-12-2014, 02:33 PM
The Sabres will not go from this bad of a NHL team to one that competes for anything but 9th in the east in less then 5 years.

This again?

Not less than? No. That's wrong. That's the worst case scenario.

DetDannyWilliams
04-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Dave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 4m

The Sabres need 4 goals today vs. the Islanders to avoid being the @NHL's worst scoring team, in terms of goals per game, since 1936.

Skooby
04-13-2014, 12:11 PM

The Sabres need 4 goals today vs. the Islanders to avoid being the @NHL's worst scoring team, in terms of goals per game, since 1936.

Well, we're playing the Isles so there's a chance.

DetDannyWilliams
04-13-2014, 04:12 PM

there's #1

DetDannyWilliams
04-13-2014, 04:59 PM
there's :peace:

DetDannyWilliams
04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

swiper
04-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Who is Torey Mitchell?

Skooby
04-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Bottom of the barrel, it's official. We're inept & unkept, GDMit.

gebobs
04-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Who is Torey Mitchell?

Got him as part of the Moulson deal with the Wild.