PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why so many draft/trade rumors?

Mindbender
03-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Serious question. In past years there has been little to no Bills draft or trade news. Then this year it seems like we are linked to every major trade or draft rumor out there. What in the world is going on?

My head is spinning from hearing about Ebron, Manziel, trading up to #1, trading Spiller, getting Clowney, DeSean Jackson, Sammy Watkins etc. etc. Is Doug Whaley a master smokescreen manipulator?

Scumbag College
03-31-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't think that there are any grand schemes the Bills, or any front office i n the NFL, puts out to the media to try and mislead other front offices. I'm sure that the Vikings front office isn't looking at Bob Frapples' blog from God-knows-where .com and planning their draft accordingly.

I think the wild rumors are a product of having thousands of both real reporters and wannabes that write only about football that have to fill the space between the first few days of FA where all the action begins to draft day. And the fans, like myself, whom really only pay attention to football have eight months of downtime between the Super Bowl and preseason games read it, so there is a market for it.

Pinkerton Security
03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Can you please list out all of these that we are linked to? I havent seen us linked to ANY major trades? And any trade up speculation is simply that, speculation?

trapezeus
03-31-2014, 07:46 AM
i think some of the change may be that this is the first nix-less draft. it's whaley's deal now. As a result, he will do things as he pleases. if he's just asking to see where the market is on trading up, a source can say, "the bills are asking around."

we all know buddy's approach was the just study the players and make no effort to move up or down (unless its to take a 7th round talent a few slots before russell wilson)

Meathead
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
its also likely the bills think they have the talent to be very close to a playoff spot and are working the phones to see what they can make happen to get them over the top

didnt make much sense to be aggressive last season as your new staff and project qb was going to need the season to work out the kinks. now that they are a season further down that road they know what they have and what they need to take the next step

DraftBoy
03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
The Bills have relatively new leadership (in terms of GM) and that's going to come with new speculation. People don't know Whaley in terms of what he may do so the Bills being a Top 10 picking team with a ton of needs could do almost anything.

It's exciting but 98% of it is probably not true, but people linking teams because they can get clicks. If there is one thing Bills fans are its loyal. They'll click on almost any story if it links the Bills to a player X, or to a trade to pick Y.

Skooby
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
For being a behind the scene type team we're sure sticking out.

YardRat
03-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Having the draft later certainly doesn't help.

At least Whaley hasn't (yet?) told any radio personalities...errrr, I mean other GM's...that our QB sucks.

stuckincincy
03-31-2014, 02:00 PM
The Bills have relatively new leadership (in terms of GM) and that's going to come with new speculation. People don't know Whaley in terms of what he may do so the Bills being a Top 10 picking team with a ton of needs could do almost anything.

It's exciting but 98% of it is probably not true, but people linking teams because they can get clicks. If there is one thing Bills fans are its loyal. They'll click on almost any story if it links the Bills to a player X, or to a trade to pick Y.

I'm interested to see what Whaley comes up with. I've in general liked Steeler drafts - hard luck for them, though, with the injury bugs their top picks have had in recent years.

As to rumors, draft trades - all part of the fun.

The Jokeman
03-31-2014, 06:39 PM

That or maybe Whaley or some part of his new hires have loose lips with the media.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Simple, its that time of year where -- Kelly's Cancer and Ralph's departure from this life aside -- not all that much is going on. I mean we picked up a couple players and lost a couple, and the draft is about a month away. We've got lots of holes to fill and so people are hoping that for the first time in 15 years that we can be a relevant team. That's what's with all the speculation. FWIW, it only gets worse after the post draft mini-camps when people start talking about what hue of uniform the Bills wore in the early 90s and how teams with that hue make it to the post season .0003% more often than those teams that don't have that shade of blue.

swiper
04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
38 days until the draft and counting.

stuckincincy
04-01-2014, 05:29 AM
That or maybe Whaley or some part of his new hires have loose lips with the media.

They have a way to go if they aim to top Buddy Nix.