PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson released

ghz in pittsburgh
04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Chris Johson that is. But this is surprising --

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000374341171/25971ef2abdc48c057105d32e5f1f58d_bigger.jpegAdam Schefter‏<strike>@</strike>AdamSchefter (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter)<small>44m (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter/status/452140996948553728)</small>
Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.
Expand Collapse (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter/status/452140996948553728)

Wow - What does our CJ think now?

To me, he's goner, after this year.

Lucidvizion
04-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I want to punch you for this thread title.

X-Era
04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I want to punch you for this thread title.
Fixed.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2014, 01:29 PM
If the Bills could sign him without much guaranteed money, he would be a great addition.

He would be much more effective than CJ.

X-Era
04-04-2014, 01:32 PM
If the Bills could sign him without much guaranteed money, he would be a great addition.

He would be much more effective than CJ.I think he'll get good money. Beyond that with Dixon, Freddy, and CJ how do we have any room?

If we want another RB take one in the 3rd - 5th round.

sukie
04-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Freddy is 80.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
I think he'll get good money. Beyond that with Dixon, Freddy, and CJ how do we have any room?

Trade CJ for a 2nd round pick if we can get it.

X-Era
04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Trade CJ for a 2nd round pick if we can get it.Umm... No

I'd like CJ to stay right here.

feldspar
04-04-2014, 01:40 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000374341171/25971ef2abdc48c057105d32e5f1f58d_bigger.jpegAdam Schefter‏<strike>@</strike>AdamSchefter (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter)<small>44m (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter/status/452140996948553728)</small>
Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.
Expand Collapse (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter/status/452140996948553728)

Why would CJ Spiller be a goner after this year? He's signed through 2015.

There is no reason to think about parting ways with him even in 2016 at this point. It's Freddie whose contract is up after this year, and he'll be 34 in 2016. There aren't many RBs in the league that are older than Freddie, if any. The Bills might have been thinking along those lines...Freddie isn't going to last forever.

Don't get the CJ hate myself. He was hobbled last year, and still had good numbers.

Ed
04-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Pretty interesting that the Bills explored trading for him. I'm assuming that would mean the end of Fred Jackson.

THRILLHO
04-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Is it just me or does each team in this division think the same way? It seems like 3 out of our four teams are always "linked" to the same free agent or trade option.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Umm... No

I'd like CJ to stay right here.

He never should have been drafted that high and we have now seen his ceiling.

A 2nd round pick in exchange for CJ would be a windfall to the Bills.

Ed
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Is it just me or does each team in this division think the same way? It seems like 3 out of our four teams are always "linked" to the same free agent or trade option.
Probably because all three teams have the same problem. They can't find a way to stop the Pats from dominating the division every year.

X-Era
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

A 2nd round pick in exchange for CJ would be a windfall to the Bills.I'd rather have Spiller than a 2nd round pick. He was hobbled all last year. He's a 6+ yards per carry kind of RB. I want him to stay a Bill. If we we're so hell bent on picks for our good players we should have franchised and traded Byrd.

The Bills gave up a 6th for a very good player today... they are collecting players, not picks.

X-Era
04-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Freddy is 80.
I had real question marks on Freddy going into last year but he proved me wrong. I want Freddy on this team. But he is getting older and this is a two back league. That's why I'd rather draft a guy as the #3 RB.

Not sure what they would do with Dixon who I'd like to see stay for his ST's play at least. Maybe carry him as the backup FB?

Jeff1220
04-04-2014, 02:14 PM
The Bills name on that list was probably based on them just making an exploratory phone call: "Oh, Chris Johnson is on the block? I wonder what Tennessee wants for him...he'd be a ridiculous 3rd RB, and with Fred's age and the injuries CJ had last year, it would be nice to have a back up of that quality. I'm gonna make the call."
Could it be that the team is just trying to strengthen an already strong part of the team?

Meathead
04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
worst. teeth. ever.

ServoBillieves
04-04-2014, 02:51 PM
I'd rather have Spiller than a 2nd round pick. He was hobbled all last year. He's a 6+ yards per carry kind of RB. I want him to stay a Bill. If we we're so hell bent on picks for our good players we should have franchised and traded Byrd.

The Bills gave up a 6th for a very good player today... they are collecting players, not picks.

I think we as fans aren't used to this mentality yet...

cookie G
04-04-2014, 02:57 PM

maybe. But if we've seen his ceiling...that's 1700 yards from scrimmage, 43 rec. and 6.0 ypc in a part time role.

That's a pretty high ceiling. And I'll take that any day of the week.

Now. fix the OL, there are options...and quit trying to turn him into a FB.

JohnnyGold
04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
and we have now seen his ceiling.

one of the worst posts i've ever read.

was his ceiling 2 seasons ago when he was possibly the most explosive player in the league, and a legitimate threat to take it to the house every single time he touched the ball?

chris johnson in, freddy out, it's as simple as that.

if this front office won't get rid of stevie johnson, why would they give up on cj?

X-Era
04-04-2014, 03:06 PM
maybe. But if we've seen his ceiling...that's 1700 yards from scrimmage, 43 rec. and 6.0 ypc in a part time role.

That's a pretty high ceiling. And I'll take that any day of the week.

Now. fix the OL, there are options...and quit trying to turn him into a FB.
With the Williams move today I'm inclined to want a draft that's heavy on legit OL prospects. If it's at 9 and then a few more later or the 9 pick goes elsewhere and we draft a RT and G in the 2nd and 3rd... I'm fine.

If I had my choice it might be Antonio Richardson in round 2 from Tenn and Gabe Jackson in round 3.

But I'm fine with Matthews maybe Lewan at 9 and then Gabe Jackson in the 3rd.

Outside of T and G I'm not sure I can put my finger on what the other pick would be. Maybe TE still like Ebron. Maybe LB like Barr. But in both cases the need may be less.

Shazier can fly but we're moving Kiko there.

Thief
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Fred is the heart and soul of the Bills. Unfortunately he is the oldest RB in the NFL. Chris Johnson would be the replacement for Fred y'all. Of course Fred wouldn't be cut. We would just have a three headed monster for 1 year before Fred retires a Buffalo Bill.

more cowbell
04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
CJ Spiller is not, and will NEVER be an every down back. He can be an elite playmaker if used properly in space...however, he is not big or strong enough to break tackles and grind out yards like a 20+ carry back needs to do. Chris Johnson is a similar player to Spiller, but has a little more punch to his game.

I think with the signing of Dixon and the Bills meeting with RB's at the combine, etc. it's a safe bet that Marrone and co. are not satisfied with Spiller and are trying to motivate him, and/or preparing for him to not be on this roster beyond 2014.

SquishDaFish
04-04-2014, 04:04 PM

You have got to be one of the dumbest ****ing posters on this message board.

tomz
04-04-2014, 04:05 PM
With the Williams move today I'm inclined to want a draft that's heavy on legit OL prospects. If it's at 9 and then a few more later or the 9 pick goes elsewhere and we draft a RT and G in the 2nd and 3rd... I'm fine.

If I had my choice it might be Antonio Richardson in round 2 from Tenn and Gabe Jackson in round 3.

Outside of T and G I'm not sure I can put my finger on what the other pick would be. Maybe TE still like Ebron. Maybe LB like Barr. But in both cases the need may be less.

I agree with your comment but why have about half of the visitors in the first couple days been DBs and RBs?

cookie G

To me...they are making the decision pretty easy and the solution tougher to ignore...

As far as weaponry goes...

2 WR who have shown the ability to gain at or near 1000 yards per season;
1 WR, in only his 2nd year, who has shown to be very good at route running and has more than enough speed to get open deep;
1 WR, again in his 2nd year, with world class speed. If he gets better at other areas (he's already a pretty decent blocking
and hands that are a little better than expected);

1 RB that can break the big play at any time.. Another who's just a damn good RB, in all facets of the game.

Weapons..they have.

Now...just fix the base. They are in a perfect position to do so. Unless a Sammy Watkins miraculously falls..(I'd be one of the few taht would also strongly consider Manziel)...the choice is becoming obvious to me.

If Matthews happens to fall to 9..I'd take him in a second. I'm not worried about him moving to LT...I'm not worried about hurting Glenn's feelings..Cordy stays where he is. I'm not worried about the discredited thinking of "you don't take a RT at 9". Too many good Olines have top 10-15 picks playing RT. What you would have are 2 very good OT's....and...you can start running the ball to the right flank again. That should make Spiller happy.

I'm not as big on Lewan..his agility doesn't quite show up to me..he actually looks a little flat footed and kind of a lunger..but that's just me. If he really threated a rape victim...I want no part of him.

But..if possible, trade down and look at Zach Martin from ND. In the 2nd, if Xavier Su'a-Filo is there..I take him in a second. And if I've traded down and picked up an extra pick..I'd strongly consider trading back up for him. Pass pro could use some technique work, he's a little high..but even then, doesn't get moved back. In the run game...he moves people. You can almost hear the pop he makes when he hits someone. And he's is quick enough to pull or get to the 2nd level.

With 2 picks..youir OL just went from 2 good players to 4.

Now...you give your skill players the ability to make some plays.

trapezeus
seems to be whaley is into asking around and having a very particular price on what he's willing to spend. i don't think that's a bad thing.

in my mind freddie is going to be limited action based on his age. and if cj goes down, i don't think the guy they picked up is going to be great. i still think the bills ol is weak and having two great running backs masked that. perhaps they draft the line up to par and coach those guys to excel, but until it's built and has depth, i don't think the bills are a plug and play rb team yet.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2014, 05:48 PM
You have got to be one of the dumbest ****ing posters on this message board.

Ah blow me.

I'm just not in love with Spiller.

JoeMama
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Chris Johnson is a bum.

Once he got paid, he completely mailed in it.

And if I'm an NFL RB (a position that no longer commands big paydays), I'm pointing the finger at CJ. His big contract/subpar results played a role in the devaluation of the position across the board.

sudzy
04-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Trade CJ for a 2nd round pick if we can get it.

There isn't a better team in the league at turning former 1st rounders into 4th rounders.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2014, 06:13 PM
If Whaley considered trading for that contract, then he needs to quit drinking on the job. Signing Johnson for less money maybe but trading would be idiotic.

SpikedLemonade
04-04-2014, 06:20 PM
If Whaley considered trading for that contract, then he needs to quit drinking on the job. Signing Johnson for less money maybe but trading would be idiotic.

A new contract of $15M for 3 years with only $5M guaranteed would work for me.

Chris Johnson has a lot left to give.

I love Freddie but perhaps his end is near.

Skooby
04-04-2014, 06:22 PM

What kind of trade involves a released player ??

SquishDaFish
04-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Ah blow me.

I'm just not in love with Spiller.

No thank you I dont want to take your day job

BertSquirtgum
04-04-2014, 07:18 PM

I don't know how he could be gone after this year when he is signed until the end of the 2015 season.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2014, 10:14 PM
A new contract of $15M for 3 years with only $5M guaranteed would work for me.

Chris Johnson has a lot left to give.

I love Freddie but perhaps his end is near.

Johnson is overrated and I'm not big on giving large money to old halfbacks. Jackson is an exception but i said at the time that deal was a good faith one because he missed most of his prime earning years. It was a make up.

What kind of trade involves a released player ??

Read the op again.

better days
04-04-2014, 11:01 PM
one of the worst posts i've ever read.

was his ceiling 2 seasons ago when he was possibly the most explosive player in the league, and a legitimate threat to take it to the house every single time he touched the ball?

chris johnson in, freddy out, it's as simple as that.

if this front office won't get rid of stevie johnson, why would they give up on cj?

I guess you don't read many of Spiked Lemonade's posts.

He has posted much worse than this.

jimmifli
04-05-2014, 02:03 AM
To me...they are making the decision pretty easy and the solution tougher to ignore...

As far as weaponry goes...

2 WR who have shown the ability to gain at or near 1000 yards per season;
1 WR, in only his 2nd year, who has shown to be very good at route running and has more than enough speed to get open deep;
1 WR, again in his 2nd year, with world class speed. If he gets better at other areas (he's already a pretty decent blocking
and hands that are a little better than expected);

1 RB that can break the big play at any time.. Another who's just a damn good RB, in all facets of the game.

Weapons..they have.

Now...just fix the base. They are in a perfect position to do so. Unless a Sammy Watkins miraculously falls..(I'd be one of the few taht would also strongly consider Manziel)...the choice is becoming obvious to me.

If Matthews happens to fall to 9..I'd take him in a second. I'm not worried about him moving to LT...I'm not worried about hurting Glenn's feelings..Cordy stays where he is. I'm not worried about the discredited thinking of "you don't take a RT at 9". Too many good Olines have top 10-15 picks playing RT. What you would have are 2 very good OT's....and...you can start running the ball to the right flank again. That should make Spiller happy.

I'm not as big on Lewan..his agility doesn't quite show up to me..he actually looks a little flat footed and kind of a lunger..but that's just me. If he really threated a rape victim...I want no part of him.

But..if possible, trade down and look at Zach Martin from ND. In the 2nd, if Xavier Su'a-Filo is there..I take him in a second. And if I've traded down and picked up an extra pick..I'd strongly consider trading back up for him. Pass pro could use some technique work, he's a little high..but even then, doesn't get moved back. In the run game...he moves people. You can almost hear the pop he makes when he hits someone. And he's is quick enough to pull or get to the 2nd level.

With 2 picks..youir OL just went from 2 good players to 4.

Now...you give your skill players the ability to make some plays.

I'm not sold on Lewan. History shows that when draftniks talk about a group of players being in a tier, the bottom guy in that tier usually doesn't pan out. If the real heavies are off the board I'd like to see a trade down. Grabbing Lewan at 15ish, and picking up an extra 2nd would feel much better. Then adding a couple of G's ... well that might be asking too much after we paid a scrub starter money.

JoeMama
04-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Freddy is 80.

Well, now that he turned 80 we should trade him to the Miami Dolphins so he can tick out the clock in Florida like most old folks.

I hear Century Village is always looking for new residents!

ghz in pittsburgh
04-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I don't know how he could be gone after this year when he is signed until the end of the 2015 season.

Spiller is the 1st pick in this Nix/Whaley era. So it's been 4 years (3 under Gailey, one under Marrone). The Bills have one more year with him. I looked it up and seems like they gave Spiller the option to decide whether to return in his 6th year. He'll be 28 when he enters the 2015 season.

Unless he's hurt or totally bombs the 2014 season, generally you expect he will opt out and seek his last multi-year deal (read: guaranteed money).

GingerP
04-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Spiller is the 1st pick in this Nix/Whaley era. So it's been 4 years (3 under Gailey, one under Marrone). The Bills have one more year with him. I looked it up and seems like they gave Spiller the option to decide whether to return in his 6th year. He'll be 28 when he enters the 2015 season.

Unless he's hurt or totally bombs the 2014 season, generally you expect he will opt out and seek his last multi-year deal (read: guaranteed money).

Spiller's contract goes through 2015, but his contract basically makes next year the decision point.

Ecalators can make his cap number next year too large to carry. This year, Spiller hit escalators to raise his salary to $3.5M, and his cap figure to $5,916,916 (6th highest on the Bills). Next year, Spiller can earn up to $12M in escalators, which would make his cap number huge and force the Bills to make a decision. Spiller currently carries a cap number of about $4.365M in 2015, but that number could jump north of $16M if he hits his escalators.

I've heard differing info on the last year of Spiller's deal being voidable. He originally signed for 5 years, but my understanding is the Bills picked up a $9.17M option bonus in 2011 to activate the last year. The escalators basically makes it a contract the Bills will have to extend after this season, but I'm not sure there is a real void in there. It is a very complex contract, signed before the new CBA when top rookie deals were much larger than today.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-07-2014, 09:12 AM
I did a little look up and it looks like it is Spiller's call for 2015, not the Bills (of course the Bills can always release him even if he elects to stay).

GingerP
04-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I did a little look up and it looks like it is Spiller's call for 2015, not the Bills (of course the Bills can always release him even if he elects to stay).

Where did you look it up? I have never seen it real report that he had a voidable 6th year. I know it was a 5-year deal and the 6th year was picked up as part of the $9.17M option bonus he received in 2011.