PDA

View Full Version : my crazy sabres thought

trapezeus
04-04-2014, 03:45 PM
I've been saying that i think the sabres are going to trade some picks for a marque player from a team that was built to win but didn't get it done this year.

1. the sabres are way under cap for next year
2. the sabres need some cache. Fans know its a long rebuild, but are they going to pay in the interim before the results show?

That being said, wouldn't ovechkin be a guy to look at? he's being scapegoated, and perhaps fairly (he's not exactly mr clutch), but DC seems to maybe be at end of rope. we have a weak draft class in terms of depth. so perhaps a couple picks in the second round, someone like Stafford (ideally from buffalo's standpoint) or ennis (who i think has done ok considering how little support he has) or hodgson (who seems to be in the doghouse but has upside) gets dc thinking, "let's move in a different direction."

i realize this is a hard sell, but if you agree that you kind of see that as a possibility, would you want that for the sabres, or do you just want to go draft only? to me, the NHL draft isn't a short term game like the NFL. in the top 10, you might get a few NHL ready players. Everyone else is at least 1-2 years away. I also think the pipeline looks pretty good thus far. So adding all these picks to develop is a really long time to develop.

So go ahead, flame me or say you can maybe see how it'd happen. curious on the board's take.

Ginger Vitis
04-04-2014, 04:03 PM
2 2nd round picks and any one of the 3 players you mentioned is no where close to enough compensation for Ovechkin

BuffaloWingEater
04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
You would have to trade the Harbor Center for Ovechkin

swiper
04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think it's a crazy idea. But I don't think Ovechkin would be the target. Especially seeing how his brooding has put the Capitals into an endless turmoil.

OpIv37
04-04-2014, 07:35 PM
First, trap needs to stop going to bars to watch Sabres games because clearly some chemical is impeding his thought process.

Second, if we do get Ovechkin, I'll have to break my rule of not getting jerseys with names on them to rub it into the bandwagon jumping Caps fans (It's not as bad as DC/NoVA, but Baltimore doesn't have a hockey team so people jump the Caps bandwagon here too).

clumping platelets
04-04-2014, 11:35 PM
No thanks....do not want Oviechicken

coastal
04-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Oh hell yes... I would take ovenchicken all day long...

JATMtheJATM
04-05-2014, 09:47 AM
I'd take him. But there are players I'd take over him.

coastal
04-05-2014, 12:03 PM
I'd take him. But there are players I'd take over him.
Stamkos.

thats the end of the list.

WagonCircler
04-05-2014, 02:20 PM
I still think/hope McDavid is the goal and I don't want to see that plan get f'ed up.

Tank on, boys.

Night Train
04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I uderstand the thinking. It's like the Bills overpaying for Mario Williams to send a message to the league that they were trying to build something and others would open their minds to signing here.

coastal
04-05-2014, 05:33 PM
I uderstand the thinking. It's like the Bills overpaying for Mario Williams to send a message to the league that they were trying to build something and others would open their minds to signing here.
No not even close.

mario is a nobody.

Ovenchicken is is a top 3 player.

don137
04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Kane is a free agent at the end of next year. Still young and Sabres have decent chance to get him if he hits the open market.

trapezeus
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
i was saying ovechken leaving as a result of the caps realizing that their method in getting it done, won't work and if there is a revolt on the guy as it kind of seems to be happening very slowly.

I didn't think we had enough power in picks alone unless the situation is tenous in DC.

But i think the sabres will need to move some of those picks for players today. and teams like the caps where they aren't going anywhere with their current structure, may be willing to dump salaries and try to retool.

The sabres, even with a legendary haul of players next year, need some players of today or they will be just as unwatchable. I know we all want mcdavid, but can the sabres deal with zero marketing appeal next year? losing darcy bought a lot of goodwill and such, but 1 goal a game isn't fun.