PDA

View Full Version : We weren't interested in CJ

Oaf
04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
I mean, he said, she said, but:

Bills source tells me Titans called to gauge interest in Chris Johnson, but Bills weren't interested. (1/2)
Bills source thinks Titans floated Bills as possible trade partner for Chris Johnson to make it seem like they didn't just cut him. (2/2)

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/452930330832302080
https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/452929939441192960

IlluminatusUIUC
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Well that's good. Thank god Whaley didn't explore that.

feldspar
04-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Did you REALLY have to call him "CJ" here?

We have one of those.

Mace
04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm no expert but seems like the Bills were a really dumb choice to use for an excuse. There were better teams the GM could have used to make pretend than us if it's true, and I find lately I'm starting to wonder what's going on with Graham's reporting, like he's trying too hard, or maybe the Titan's GM needs to go back to GM school.

No clue why anyone would think we'd prefer an older Spiller with more wear to a younger one with another year of contract left, like we have to worry about paying an RB elite money when no one pays elite rb's money these days. Spiller is not going to break the bank no matter what he does this year.

Maybe I'm missing something, but unless we didn't idly ask (for whatever peculiar reasoning), I can't imagine why the Titans would have used us among everyone else for a head game.

YardRat
04-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Maybe they are pissed about over-paying Levitre.

Night Train
04-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Maybe they are pissed about over-paying Levitre.

26 Mil for the first 2 years of his contract, from what was reported. Not Manning, Rodgers or Brady...an OG.

TacklingDummy
04-07-2014, 06:15 AM
I mean, he said, she said, but:

Bills source tells me Titans called to gauge interest in Chris Johnson, but Bills weren't interested. (1/2)
Bills source thinks Titans floated Bills as possible trade partner for Chris Johnson to make it seem like they didn't just cut him. (2/2)

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/452930330832302080
https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/452929939441192960

Why would anyone be interested in trading for someone everyone knew was going to be cut?

mayotm
04-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Why would anyone be interested in trading for someone everyone knew was going to be cut?Simple. If it's a player a team wants, they can make a trade and not have to compete with other teams to sign the player.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Why would anyone be interested in trading for someone everyone knew was going to be cut?

See Mike Williams from the Bucs.

Thief
04-07-2014, 09:04 AM
No one said the Bills were interested. The report was they "had talks". Them calling, the Bills saying no, is in fact a "talk".

trapezeus
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
this is whaley's first season with the full deck of cards...it seems like he is a little bit more awake than the last set of GM's we've had. he seems to kick the tires on any opennings. And he doesn't seem to be doing it for marketing purposes. give him some credit there.

GingerP
04-07-2014, 09:37 AM
26 Mil for the first 2 years of his contract, from what was reported. Not Manning, Rodgers or Brady...an OG.

He receives $26M over the first 3 years of his deal. He receives $19.5M in the first 2 years, $13M in year one (all in terms of cash).

In terms of AAV he is 4th in the NFL at $7.8M, behind Carl Nicks ($9.5M), Logan Mankins ($8.5M) and Jahri Evans ($8.1M), ahead of Ben Grubbs ($7.2M). His contract isn't the albatross it is made out to be, given his cap number never gets higher than $8.6M in the life of the contract. Given the way that the cap is rising, that isn't hard to deal with. You could argue he is overpaid, but that is what happens when you sign a guy in FA, like the Bills did with Mario Williams. I don't think the Titans regret the move, given they needed him to help resolve big problems on the OL.

I find it funny how people think it is stupid to pay at OG. Yet, most of the real good teams do so:

- The Patriots are carrying Logan Mankins this year at a $10.5M cap number.
- The Saints are carrying Jahri Evans at $11M and Ben Grubbs at $9.1M.
- The Broncos are carrying Louis Vasquz at $7.25M.
- The Ravens are carrying Marshall Yanda at $8.45M.
- The Packers are carrying Josh Sitton at $6.4M.

I could come up with more examples, but most of the good teams are paying a premium for interior lineman these days, because they are important. Mike Iupati is probably next, and his deal with be near the top at the position. If you have good players, you keep them.

Night Train
04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm interested in Kate Upton. Hope someone reports it.

DraftBoy
04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Well that's good. Thank god Whaley didn't explore that.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but what's the harm in exploring it?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but what's the harm in exploring it?

As I said in the other topic, trading for that contract would be a horrendous. Sign him for less if you must, but I want no part of his old deal.

The Zone Ranger
04-08-2014, 02:01 PM
That's how a good GM let's a player under contract know to call you if and when you are released.

DraftBoy
04-08-2014, 05:03 PM
As I said in the other topic, trading for that contract would be a horrendous. Sign him for less if you must, but I want no part of his old deal.

That makes sense.

TacklingDummy
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm interested in Kate Upton. Hope someone reports it.
Don't worry, I called the Police.
Stalker.

Jan Reimers
04-09-2014, 05:41 AM
He receives $26M over the first 3 years of his deal. He receives $19.5M in the first 2 years, $13M in year one (all in terms of cash).

In terms of AAV he is 4th in the NFL at $7.8M, behind Carl Nicks ($9.5M), Logan Mankins ($8.5M) and Jahri Evans ($8.1M), ahead of Ben Grubbs ($7.2M). His contract isn't the albatross it is made out to be, given his cap number never gets higher than $8.6M in the life of the contract. Given the way that the cap is rising, that isn't hard to deal with. You could argue he is overpaid, but that is what happens when you sign a guy in FA, like the Bills did with Mario Williams. I don't think the Titans regret the move, given they needed him to help resolve big problems on the OL.

I find it funny how people think it is stupid to pay at OG. Yet, most of the real good teams do so:

- The Patriots are carrying Logan Mankins this year at a $10.5M cap number.
- The Saints are carrying Jahri Evans at $11M and Ben Grubbs at $9.1M.
- The Broncos are carrying Louis Vasquz at $7.25M.
- The Ravens are carrying Marshall Yanda at $8.45M.
- The Packers are carrying Josh Sitton at $6.4M.

I could come up with more examples, but most of the good teams are paying a premium for interior lineman these days, because they are important. Mike Iupati is probably next, and his deal with be near the top at the position. If you have good players, you keep them.

Great post. Many of the experts on here don't agree, however, and are more interested in saving the Bills' money.

I have maintained all along that it was crucial to keep Levitre and Byrd. Now we'll have to use valuable draft picks - who could have strengthened us at positions of need - to try to replace what we already had.

When you have the cap room, it is really foolish to let good players walk.