Any Chance Ownership Situation Changes Bill's Plans For The Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2slowtogofast
    • Sep 2007

Any Chance Ownership Situation Changes Bill's Plans For The Draft?

With the ownership being in question do you think there is any chance Bills go for QB in round 1 as a backup plan / competition for EJ. I could see Marrone and Whaley possibly feeling like they are on the hot seat to win now and not want there futures being tied directly to EJ's success. If EJ flames out or gets injured and the Bills put up another sub 500 season I don't think it is crazy to think a new owner would come in and clean house. I am not saying we will draft a QB or should just wondering if the question mark at ownership changes anything.
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Any Chance Ownership Situation Changes Bill's Plans For The Draft?

I don't think you can operate that way. You stay the course.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by 2slowtogofast View Post
      With the ownership being in question do you think there is any chance Bills go for QB in round 1 as a backup plan / competition for EJ. I could see Marrone and Whaley possibly feeling like they are on the hot seat to win now and not want there futures being tied directly to EJ's success. If EJ flames out or gets injured and the Bills put up another sub 500 season I don't think it is crazy to think a new owner would come in and clean house. I am not saying we will draft a QB or should just wondering if the question mark at ownership changes anything.
      Are you saying that there might be a greater danger of certain people losing their jobs now if they fail, as opposed to before Ralph Wilson's death? I don't see it. They're all still on the same hotseat as before. They still are involved with the same QB commitment, which they've made public (supposedly anyway).

If they were going to go with EJ Manuel and changed their minds based only on Ralph's death for some reason, there is a general lack of conviction that is necessary for a leadership position in the first place. Whether they are right or wrong, they need to stick to their guns and believe in something. If they don't, then they are jellyfish and maybe shouldn't be holding those positions in the first place. If they weren't going to draft a QB in the first round before Ralph died, they shouldn't do that now.

I hope they DO draft a quarterback somewhere in this draft, but I wouldn't go around making a connection between that and Ralph's death. These guys don't do well, and even Ralph would have fired them after a bit. We've seen it. The new owner(s) would definitely consider keeping guys like Marrone and Whaley around more if the team starts to do well. That's a given.
      Last edited by feldspar; 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• jayhall93
        • Apr 2009

It's hard to tell if Whaley is being more aggressive or not, because this is his first year as full time GM.

It feels as if the organization is making a more aggressive push to put a winning product on the field.

If we jump to #1, then the answer is a resounding yes.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Similarly, I wonder if buying a new car will change the way my underwear fits.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

I think they have until a new owner comes in to prove they are the guys to get the job done or the new owner will fine someone that can.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
              Similarly, I wonder if buying a new car will change the way my underwear fits.
              It may put your panties in a bunch...

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

I think the team being under Mary Wilson's ownership, with the desire to maximize value in a sale, could impact the FO's plan. If they were sitting on cap dollars all those years to save money, right now is the time to spend more, win more, and (in turn) increase the value of the team. A playoff Bills team will sell for more than a 15-year playoff drought Bills team.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

The only way this theory makes sense is if Ralph pressured them into drafting EJ for some reason. If that's the case, then I would understand the suggestion that they might want to move away from him.

But, there hasn't been the slightest suggestion that's how it went down.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by 2slowtogofast View Post
                    No

Comment

Working...
                    X