X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckets
    • Jun 2003

New stadium rumors

The Xfinity Discovery Hub is your resource for Xfinity product news, technology education, and more. Learn about TV, internet, home security, and more.

Let Western New Yorkers decide not a bunch of politicians
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: New stadium rumors

I'm so glad the article mentions Batavia. I've been screaming for that for 10 years.

Buy Batavia Downs. Raze it. Build Ralph II. Better yet, Rich II. Or Pegula Stadium.

It's prefect. Easily accessible from the NYS Thruway. Rochester and Syracuse are far more interesting markets to cultivate than Canada, IMO.

Raise the speed limit to 75 mph, done and done.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
      I'm so glad the article mentions Batavia. I've been screaming for that for 10 years.

Buy Batavia Downs. Raze it. Build Ralph II. Better yet, Rich II. Or Pegula Stadium.

It's prefect. Easily accessible from the NYS Thruway. Rochester and Syracuse are far more interesting markets to cultivate than Canada, IMO.

it would be better for buffalo to get a downtown stadium and have the high speed trains bring you to the door as part of the buffalo billion project.

In the long run, it's better to have better transportation outside of driving. all these roads cost a lot and are inefficient manner of getting around. buffalo and NYS are thinking further ahead than 5 years. It has to be about spending tax money correctly to build a stadium, not simply to save a team.

a stadium downtown, with low tax zones to spur restaurants and shops, is way better for the region than having the ralph placed in another podunk outskirt and expecting people to drive everywhere. it's not very forward looking, in my opinion.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

meh. People won't be flying in to go hang out in cowpile country. Downtown buffalo would be ideal but I'm okay with niagara. People would want to fly in with their family for the weekend and see the falls +++ .
        Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

I agree. They'd have to build a ton of infrastructure to make Batavia accessible for 70000 people. Downtown Buffalo is the where the stadium should be.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Buying a house in OP near 20A and the 219......keep it in OP

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
              I agree. They'd have to build a ton of infrastructure to make Batavia accessible for 70000 people. Downtown Buffalo is the where the stadium should be.

I disagree on the infrastructure, but agree somewhat on the Downtown Buffalo part.

I go back and forth on what my #1 choice is, but for now:

1a. Orchard Park- A total rebuild, in stages, on the current site, with a retractible roof.
              1b. Bethlehem Steel site/Outer Harbor- Brownfields funds available to clean up, plenty of land. Would hopefully spur some adjacent development. Kills two birds with one stone.

2. Batavia- As I stated above, the infrastructure is already there. Batavia Downs site is right on the Thruway. There are already motels and more room for more. Nobody coming to podunk town? What is Orchard Park? Paris?
              3. Niagara Falls- I'm fine with it, but I think the infrastructure needed would be a nightmare. It's already an epic clusterf... I can't imagine what it would take to make a stadium work.

The only reason I brought up Batavia in the thread is that it's a very viable option that nobody ever talks about.

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

The Canadians will say that Batavia is too far for them to travel to.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                  The Canadians will say that Batavia is too far for them to travel to.
                  Part of my sinister plan to keep their annoying drunk, arrogant asses on their own side of the border.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

On top of that Blahtavia is a dump...

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

I disagree on the infrastructure, but agree somewhat on the Downtown Buffalo part.

I go back and forth on what my #1 choice is, but for now:

1a. Orchard Park- A total rebuild, in stages, on the current site, with a retractible roof.
                      1b. Bethlehem Steel site/Outer Harbor- Brownfields funds available to clean up, plenty of land. Would hopefully spur some adjacent development. Kills two birds with one stone.

2. Batavia- As I stated above, the infrastructure is already there. Batavia Downs site is right on the Thruway. There are already motels and more room for more. Nobody coming to podunk town? What is Orchard Park? Paris?
                      3. Niagara Falls- I'm fine with it, but I think the infrastructure needed would be a nightmare. It's already an epic clusterf... I can't imagine what it would take to make a stadium work.

The only reason I brought up Batavia in the thread is that it's a very viable option that nobody ever talks about.
                      that was my point on Podunk. is that we've already done this mistake and buffalo, the city paid for that dearly. The future for cities is building in it, not making it accessible to get to their suburbs.

buffalo is making the right moves of late. keep it going and build in the city or in niagara falls.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Those of you clamoring for a downtown stadium: have you ever actually been to a sporting event at a downtown stadium before?

I've been to baseball and football games in DC and Baltimore plenty of times.

Advantages: stuff to do before and after the game.

Disadvantages: pretty much everything else. Parking and public transportation are both woefully insufficient. Traffic is terrible. There is no tailgating culture because the only people who can afford the lots close to the stadium aren't exactly the typical tailgating type. And pregaming at a bar is much more expensive than tailgating.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

Pembroke. Been saying it for years. Dome. Sellouts for every game.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

Just go with the falls. Plenty of land and crappy adjacent housing that could be purchased and the mafia there is very greasable... more so than the NFTA.

Any word on the Summit Park Mall site Plenty of land and parking from what I remember unless that got all built up prior to the mall tanking
                            Last edited by sukie; 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Lots more revenue if it's downtown since people would go out to eat, drink, etc. Easier access for out of towners. Tailgating is not as fun.

Niagra Falls would make it easier for Canadians and could increase fan base and ticket sales as result.

Comment

Working...
                              X