PDA

View Full Version : Eagles contacted Bills about trade for Spiller before landing Sproles

GingerP
04-14-2014, 11:46 AM
They were denied:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/sproles-eagles-inquired-about-cj-spiller

Would be a mistake to trade away one of their most dynamic offensive weapons, but it is good that he is someone other teams hold in regard.

GreedoII
04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Running backs can be had anywhere and anytime. if the price is right trade him. RB is so overrated now it's hilarious...

swiper
04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Interesting. Glad to see that the Bills said "no".

Spiller didn't have his best year in 2013. He is sure to rebound.

Ed
04-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers is the only other player in NFL history with at least 3,000 rushing yards, 1,000 receiving yards, 1,150 kick-return yards and 300 punt-return yards in his first four seasons. I didn't know this. That's pretty good company for Spiller to be keeping.

I think Spiller would be scary in a Chip Kelly offense. I'm glad the Bills aren't interested in trading Spiller, now hopefully they can find better ways to maximize his skills.

Mr. Miyagi
04-14-2014, 11:59 AM
They had to try. It's nothing personal. I wouldn't have made a deal even if it's their first round pick this year.

EDS
04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I didn't know this. That's pretty good company for Spiller to be keeping.

I think Spiller would be scary in a Chip Kelly offense. I'm glad the Bills aren't interested in trading Spiller, now hopefully they can find better ways to maximize his skills.

Of course, Gale Sayers had 20+ touchdowns as a rookie . . .

Bill Cody
04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
They had to try. It's nothing personal. I wouldn't have made a deal even if it's their first round pick this year.

I would

Bill Cody
04-14-2014, 12:23 PM
They were denied:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/sproles-eagles-inquired-about-cj-spiller

Would be a mistake to trade away one of their most dynamic offensive weapons, but it is good that he is someone other teams hold in regard.

Depends on the offer, no?

better days
04-14-2014, 12:27 PM

He would not have if he had Chan Gailey as his HC.

HAMMER
04-14-2014, 12:28 PM
For Shady and their first....

WagonCircler
04-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Unfortunately, I think Sayers' high stepping style also contributed to the injuries that shortened his career.

EDS
04-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately, I think Sayers' high stepping style also contributed to the injuries that shortened his career.

Do doubt. Plenty of mega talents like him though that did not have an opportunity to realize their full potential in the NFL due to injury or illness. Who would not have loved to watch a healthy Gale Sayers, Ernie Davis, Bo Jackson, etc.

trapezeus
04-14-2014, 01:08 PM
this seems consistent with the whaley approach. If there is an offer, hear it out, make a decision and move forward.

if gretsky can get traded, everyone needs to be evaluated on what the market has to offer. that being said, the bills run OL still isnt good enough to plug and play. as a result, i think you have to a premier back to get defenses worry about you. until the bills commit to a bigger stronger line, we need some of the best RB talent you can get.

if in 2 years, they have asolid line, i'd be just getting younger at the position and seeing what 3rd round RB can get it done. right now, i don't think that's a good approach. specifically with a young qb who needs to know that a running back can take over the game if he can't.

YardRat
04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Sayers did it in 11 less games, also...50 to 61.

justasportsfan
04-14-2014, 03:28 PM
I thought we were going to get rid of Spiller for CJ from The Titans?

Were those just rumors?

sudzy
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Given Buffalo reputation for trading former 1st rounders for 4th round picks, I would have called them, too.

Night Train
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I still don't know why they don't give him more snaps at WR.

He's not a full time RB but can spell the starter. Keep him on the field split wide. Has good hands and is obviously a big threat in the open field.

Forward_Lateral
04-15-2014, 05:41 AM
I thought we were going to get rid of Spiller for CJ from The Titans?

Were those just rumors?

Started by someone missing a chromosome.

stuckincincy
04-15-2014, 06:13 AM
I still don't know why they don't give him more snaps at WR.

He's not a full time RB but can spell the starter. Keep him on the field split wide. Has good hands and is obviously a big threat in the open field.

Maybe in practice they find that he can't deal with press coverage, or is useless in blocking or chipping a blitzer - dunno.

better days
04-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Maybe in practice they find that he can't deal with press coverage, or is useless in blocking or chipping a blitzer - dunno.

How many teams use press coverage? The Bills could have made much better use of CJ IMO.

The Jokeman
04-15-2014, 07:36 AM
This might be why we showed interest in Chris Johnson as we wanted to see what kind of compensation we might expect if were to trade Spiller.

stuckincincy
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
This might be why we showed interest in Chris Johnson as we wanted to see what kind of compensation we might expect if were to trade Spiller.

Looks like NYJ is interested.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24527501/report-chris-johnson-visiting-jets-tuesday

stuckincincy
04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
How many teams use press coverage? The Bills could have made much better use of CJ IMO.

The press - trying to keep receivers away from the middle - is not a coverage scheme, it's a technique within schemes. All clubs utilize it when it suits them. Sure, Spiller can run a fly/streak/seam/go route, however one likes to call it. BUF has wrs that can already do such, and wrs generally have better skills reading dbs.

no one disputes that they should have gotten spiller into the regular line-up sooner. But it certainly occurred to them to investigate him for wr duty, and seems they decided against it.